Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Durham Road

Durham Road

Durham Road

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Adrian

12 Nov 2014, 8:33 pm #2
(12 Nov 2014, 8:03 pm)citaro5284 Oh dear....

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...er-8094502

It's a strange one, but it does need to happen. The Durham Road congestion has only gotten worse and worse over the years, to the point that it's pointless even trying to use the 21 or X2 at peak times. 

A few month ago, I was working one day a week through Newcastle, and travelling home to Durham around 1630 on the X2. It actually took about as long to get from Gateshead Interchange to the Angel, as it took to get from the Angel to Durham. The bus was in excess of 25 minutes late, and that was pretty much standard each week I was through there.

We should be doing our utmost to encourage people onto greener forms of transport, whether that be bus, cycling or even walking. Whereas parking is always going to be a problem, whether on pavement parking exists or not. You see it at Pity Me in Durham, where people both use the designated parking, but then double park on the same side, but completely blocking the pedestrian section of the pavement off. Just because the parking is removed, doesn't mean residents should become ignorant, and block garages and such - as described in the article. 

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
12 Nov 2014, 8:33 pm #2

(12 Nov 2014, 8:03 pm)citaro5284 Oh dear....

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...er-8094502

It's a strange one, but it does need to happen. The Durham Road congestion has only gotten worse and worse over the years, to the point that it's pointless even trying to use the 21 or X2 at peak times. 

A few month ago, I was working one day a week through Newcastle, and travelling home to Durham around 1630 on the X2. It actually took about as long to get from Gateshead Interchange to the Angel, as it took to get from the Angel to Durham. The bus was in excess of 25 minutes late, and that was pretty much standard each week I was through there.

We should be doing our utmost to encourage people onto greener forms of transport, whether that be bus, cycling or even walking. Whereas parking is always going to be a problem, whether on pavement parking exists or not. You see it at Pity Me in Durham, where people both use the designated parking, but then double park on the same side, but completely blocking the pedestrian section of the pavement off. Just because the parking is removed, doesn't mean residents should become ignorant, and block garages and such - as described in the article. 

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

gtom

Banned

14 Nov 2014, 11:01 am #3
Its a terrible idea, speaking as a resident.

Pavement width on the very busy shopping street is already at a premium, shortening the pavement is an immensely bad idea.

Low Fell is full of independent traders, removing the parking will only hinder them and encourage people to shop (and park freely) at Team Valley, Trinity or Team Valley

The current bus lanes haven't really made any difference (aside the one coming Southbound off Shipcote and Southbound past Musgrave School)
gtom
14 Nov 2014, 11:01 am #3

Its a terrible idea, speaking as a resident.

Pavement width on the very busy shopping street is already at a premium, shortening the pavement is an immensely bad idea.

Low Fell is full of independent traders, removing the parking will only hinder them and encourage people to shop (and park freely) at Team Valley, Trinity or Team Valley

The current bus lanes haven't really made any difference (aside the one coming Southbound off Shipcote and Southbound past Musgrave School)

Malarkey

03 Dec 2014, 7:08 pm #4
Spoke to my Dad earlier and apparently over 1500 Residents attended a Meeting in the Church across the Road from where he lives on Belle Vue in Low Fell over the course of 2 Nights in the Last Week, in regards to the proposed Plans, from what he has been told from Neighbours who attended, they are all Against these Plans.

From a Personal point of View I think the Idea of Bus Lane along that Section of Road is a Good Idea, If you look at the Map below you can see 2 Car Parks situated on either side of Low Fell High Street (Which I have Highlighted in Blue), the Red Circle represents where my Dad Lives, So to be honest in my eyes there is plenty of Parking and no reason for there to be any Complaints, and there more than likely complaining as it would cause a bit of Disruption in the Area, Oh and they wont be able to Park on the High Street while they quickly pop into Greggs or Herron Foods.

[attachment=6149]
Malarkey
03 Dec 2014, 7:08 pm #4

Spoke to my Dad earlier and apparently over 1500 Residents attended a Meeting in the Church across the Road from where he lives on Belle Vue in Low Fell over the course of 2 Nights in the Last Week, in regards to the proposed Plans, from what he has been told from Neighbours who attended, they are all Against these Plans.

From a Personal point of View I think the Idea of Bus Lane along that Section of Road is a Good Idea, If you look at the Map below you can see 2 Car Parks situated on either side of Low Fell High Street (Which I have Highlighted in Blue), the Red Circle represents where my Dad Lives, So to be honest in my eyes there is plenty of Parking and no reason for there to be any Complaints, and there more than likely complaining as it would cause a bit of Disruption in the Area, Oh and they wont be able to Park on the High Street while they quickly pop into Greggs or Herron Foods.

[attachment=6149]

Andreos1

03 Dec 2014, 9:20 pm #5
It is a strange one.

Just a few miles away, the Western Bypass is being widened.
Whilst helping the flow of traffic, presumably it will attract additional traffic. Traffic that maybe goes through Low Fell, when there has been an accident or if it is particularly heavy on the A1.

Obviously we are just speaking hypothetically here, but if there is less traffic in Low Fell due to the improvements on the Western Bypass, why do they need to make these adjustments and extend bus lane's?
Would it make more sense to hang back and see what the impact of the widening will be, before going in and approving these works?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
03 Dec 2014, 9:20 pm #5

It is a strange one.

Just a few miles away, the Western Bypass is being widened.
Whilst helping the flow of traffic, presumably it will attract additional traffic. Traffic that maybe goes through Low Fell, when there has been an accident or if it is particularly heavy on the A1.

Obviously we are just speaking hypothetically here, but if there is less traffic in Low Fell due to the improvements on the Western Bypass, why do they need to make these adjustments and extend bus lane's?
Would it make more sense to hang back and see what the impact of the widening will be, before going in and approving these works?

gtom

Banned

05 Dec 2014, 11:47 am #6
(03 Dec 2014, 7:08 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Spoke to my Dad earlier and apparently over 1500 Residents attended a Meeting in the Church across the Road from where he lives on Belle Vue in Low Fell over the course of 2 Nights in the Last Week, in regards to the proposed Plans, from what he has been told from Neighbours who attended, they are all Against these Plans.

There are 2 car parks Adam but you do have to pay and they both get full very quickly. There isn't plenty of parking in Low Fell. You also need to take into account that although you've mentioned chains in Heron and Greggs there are independents who rely on the stopping trade. It will drive people away to the free parking at Team Valley, questionably Wrekenton and again free Gateshead

Why do you think the bus lane is a good idea?

I'm finding it hard not to be cynical. Gateshead Council announce plans to set up revenue cameras in all bus lanes and then build more bus lanes....kerching
gtom
05 Dec 2014, 11:47 am #6

(03 Dec 2014, 7:08 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Spoke to my Dad earlier and apparently over 1500 Residents attended a Meeting in the Church across the Road from where he lives on Belle Vue in Low Fell over the course of 2 Nights in the Last Week, in regards to the proposed Plans, from what he has been told from Neighbours who attended, they are all Against these Plans.

There are 2 car parks Adam but you do have to pay and they both get full very quickly. There isn't plenty of parking in Low Fell. You also need to take into account that although you've mentioned chains in Heron and Greggs there are independents who rely on the stopping trade. It will drive people away to the free parking at Team Valley, questionably Wrekenton and again free Gateshead

I'm finding it hard not to be cynical. Gateshead Council announce plans to set up revenue cameras in all bus lanes and then build more bus lanes....kerching

Malarkey

05 Dec 2014, 10:24 pm #7
(05 Dec 2014, 11:47 am)gtom There are 2 car parks Adam but you do have to pay and they both get full very quickly.  There isn't plenty of parking in Low Fell.  You also need to take into account that although you've mentioned chains in Heron and Greggs there are independents who rely on the stopping trade.  It will drive people away to the free parking at Team Valley, questionably Wrekenton and again free Gateshead

I'm finding it hard not to be cynical.  Gateshead Council announce plans to set up revenue cameras in all bus lanes and then build more bus lanes....kerching

To be honest from Observations I made from when I have been in the Area to see my Dad, and we have went into Several of the Pubs for a few Beers or simply go into one or two of the Shops, it would seem there is a set of Traffic Lights roughly every 100 Yards from The Cannon along Low Fell High Street towards the Angel of the North, At Peak Times there will be a lot of Traffic going through the Area which in turn would have an effect on Bus Services 1/21/29 and 69, more so the 1 and 21, it has been well Documented how poor the reliability is of the 21 is at times in the GNE Latest Thread, often coming in 2s and 3s then no Bus at all for 10 Minutes or More, Perhaps putting in a Bus Lane along Durham Road in Low Fell  (Newcastle Bound) would improve the reliability of the Service, it can only be a Benefit to those who use Bus to get from A to B on a Daily Basis.
Malarkey
05 Dec 2014, 10:24 pm #7

(05 Dec 2014, 11:47 am)gtom There are 2 car parks Adam but you do have to pay and they both get full very quickly.  There isn't plenty of parking in Low Fell.  You also need to take into account that although you've mentioned chains in Heron and Greggs there are independents who rely on the stopping trade.  It will drive people away to the free parking at Team Valley, questionably Wrekenton and again free Gateshead

I'm finding it hard not to be cynical.  Gateshead Council announce plans to set up revenue cameras in all bus lanes and then build more bus lanes....kerching

To be honest from Observations I made from when I have been in the Area to see my Dad, and we have went into Several of the Pubs for a few Beers or simply go into one or two of the Shops, it would seem there is a set of Traffic Lights roughly every 100 Yards from The Cannon along Low Fell High Street towards the Angel of the North, At Peak Times there will be a lot of Traffic going through the Area which in turn would have an effect on Bus Services 1/21/29 and 69, more so the 1 and 21, it has been well Documented how poor the reliability is of the 21 is at times in the GNE Latest Thread, often coming in 2s and 3s then no Bus at all for 10 Minutes or More, Perhaps putting in a Bus Lane along Durham Road in Low Fell  (Newcastle Bound) would improve the reliability of the Service, it can only be a Benefit to those who use Bus to get from A to B on a Daily Basis.

Andreos1

05 Dec 2014, 10:30 pm #8
(05 Dec 2014, 10:24 pm)NEBCD Malarkey To be honest from Observations I made from when I have been in the Area to see my Dad, and we have went into Several of the Pubs for a few Beers or simply go into one or two of the Shops, it would seem there is a set of Traffic Lights roughly every 100 Yards from The Cannon along Low Fell High Street towards the Angel of the North, At Peak Times there will be a lot of Traffic going through the Area which in turn would have an effect on Bus Services 1/21/29 and 69, more so the 1 and 21, it has been well Documented how poor the reliability is of the 21 is at times in the GNE Latest Thread, often coming in 2s and 3s then no Bus at all for 10 Minutes or More, Perhaps putting in a Bus Lane along Durham Road in Low Fell  (Newcastle Bound) would improve the reliability of the Service, it can only be a Benefit to those who use Bus to get from A to B on a Daily Basis.

Prior to a number of the traffic lights being installed, there were footbridges over Durham Road.

When the Western Bypass was developed for the Metrocentre, in a bid to discourage drivers from Low Fell and make it pedestrian friendly, the bridges were removed.

Because the Western Bypass wasn't constructed to anticipate the amount of traffic using it, traffic through Low Fell didn't drop. Traffic just doesn't flow like it did, because of the traffic lights.

Sticking bus lanes in, won't reduce the number of people needing to cross the road.

Andreos1
05 Dec 2014, 10:30 pm #8

(05 Dec 2014, 10:24 pm)NEBCD Malarkey To be honest from Observations I made from when I have been in the Area to see my Dad, and we have went into Several of the Pubs for a few Beers or simply go into one or two of the Shops, it would seem there is a set of Traffic Lights roughly every 100 Yards from The Cannon along Low Fell High Street towards the Angel of the North, At Peak Times there will be a lot of Traffic going through the Area which in turn would have an effect on Bus Services 1/21/29 and 69, more so the 1 and 21, it has been well Documented how poor the reliability is of the 21 is at times in the GNE Latest Thread, often coming in 2s and 3s then no Bus at all for 10 Minutes or More, Perhaps putting in a Bus Lane along Durham Road in Low Fell  (Newcastle Bound) would improve the reliability of the Service, it can only be a Benefit to those who use Bus to get from A to B on a Daily Basis.

Prior to a number of the traffic lights being installed, there were footbridges over Durham Road.

When the Western Bypass was developed for the Metrocentre, in a bid to discourage drivers from Low Fell and make it pedestrian friendly, the bridges were removed.

Because the Western Bypass wasn't constructed to anticipate the amount of traffic using it, traffic through Low Fell didn't drop. Traffic just doesn't flow like it did, because of the traffic lights.

Sticking bus lanes in, won't reduce the number of people needing to cross the road.

gtom

Banned

05 Dec 2014, 11:13 pm #9
(05 Dec 2014, 10:24 pm)NEBCD Malarkey it would seem there is a set of Traffic Lights roughly every 100 Yards from The Cannon along Low Fell High Street towards the Angel of the North,

They aren't that dense. From past Tower Medical in Low Fell the next lights aren't until the junction at Chowdene then its dual carriageway. The Angel flows freely once its gets past Chowdene until it hits Station Lane in Birtley really.

Birtley will become more of an issue as there are now lights at new Morrisons which will be switched on imminently.

I'm struggling to see the cost benefit of a new bus lane other than some camera fundraising
gtom
05 Dec 2014, 11:13 pm #9

(05 Dec 2014, 10:24 pm)NEBCD Malarkey it would seem there is a set of Traffic Lights roughly every 100 Yards from The Cannon along Low Fell High Street towards the Angel of the North,

They aren't that dense. From past Tower Medical in Low Fell the next lights aren't until the junction at Chowdene then its dual carriageway. The Angel flows freely once its gets past Chowdene until it hits Station Lane in Birtley really.

Birtley will become more of an issue as there are now lights at new Morrisons which will be switched on imminently.

I'm struggling to see the cost benefit of a new bus lane other than some camera fundraising

Andreos1

09 Dec 2014, 12:54 pm #10
http://www.uktrafficdata.info/cp/gateshe...fell-81351

Interesting figures.

No idea how accurate they are.

Andreos1
09 Dec 2014, 12:54 pm #10

http://www.uktrafficdata.info/cp/gateshe...fell-81351

Interesting figures.

No idea how accurate they are.

Malarkey

18 Dec 2014, 6:35 pm #11
Went to see my Dad today at his house in Low Fell and I noticed almost every Shop Window on Low Fell High Street had the attached in the Window, not only that Several Residents have also put this sign up outside there Houses in For Sale Sign form, which I found quite funny as I went past on the 21, I wonder if GTom has one outside his House.

[attachment=6178]
Malarkey
18 Dec 2014, 6:35 pm #11

Went to see my Dad today at his house in Low Fell and I noticed almost every Shop Window on Low Fell High Street had the attached in the Window, not only that Several Residents have also put this sign up outside there Houses in For Sale Sign form, which I found quite funny as I went past on the 21, I wonder if GTom has one outside his House.

[attachment=6178]

gtom

Banned

19 Dec 2014, 7:47 pm #12
(18 Dec 2014, 6:35 pm)Malarkey Went to see my Dad today at his house in Low Fell and I noticed almost every Shop Window on Low Fell High Street had the attached in the Window, not only that Several Residents have also put this sign up outside there Houses in For Sale Sign form, which I found quite funny as I went past on the 21, I wonder if GTom has one outside his House.

I have 2. Even the local councillors aren't supporting this and one of them gets my bus to work every morning (always a bloody B7 too)
gtom
19 Dec 2014, 7:47 pm #12

(18 Dec 2014, 6:35 pm)Malarkey Went to see my Dad today at his house in Low Fell and I noticed almost every Shop Window on Low Fell High Street had the attached in the Window, not only that Several Residents have also put this sign up outside there Houses in For Sale Sign form, which I found quite funny as I went past on the 21, I wonder if GTom has one outside his House.

I have 2. Even the local councillors aren't supporting this and one of them gets my bus to work every morning (always a bloody B7 too)

Malarkey

19 Dec 2014, 7:53 pm #13
(19 Dec 2014, 7:47 pm)gtom I have 2.  Even the local councillors aren't supporting this and one of them gets my bus to work every morning (always a bloody B7 too)

One at the Garden Gate and the other one Flagpoled is it gtom Wink
Malarkey
19 Dec 2014, 7:53 pm #13

(19 Dec 2014, 7:47 pm)gtom I have 2.  Even the local councillors aren't supporting this and one of them gets my bus to work every morning (always a bloody B7 too)

One at the Garden Gate and the other one Flagpoled is it gtom Wink

gtom

Banned

20 Dec 2014, 10:22 am #14
(19 Dec 2014, 7:53 pm)Malarkey One at the Garden Gate and the other one Flagpoled is it gtom Wink

I'm going to staple one to Mick Henry if I get the opportunity! (maybe blu tack....)

I've sat with a planner, I've heard the argument but I'm less than convinced. It's nearly as stupid as the bus lane on the dual carriageway between Birtley & Lyndhurst
gtom
20 Dec 2014, 10:22 am #14

(19 Dec 2014, 7:53 pm)Malarkey One at the Garden Gate and the other one Flagpoled is it gtom Wink

I'm going to staple one to Mick Henry if I get the opportunity! (maybe blu tack....)

I've sat with a planner, I've heard the argument but I'm less than convinced. It's nearly as stupid as the bus lane on the dual carriageway between Birtley & Lyndhurst

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average