Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Durham County Council

Durham County Council

Durham County Council

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (5): Previous 1 2 35 Next
Adrian

15 Feb 2015, 8:43 am #21
(14 Feb 2015, 4:33 am)Andreos1 http://m.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1179...ref=twtrec

Reckon Durham will be best avoided in the summer if it can be helped.

It will be interesting to see if operators will make revisions to services, to combat delays.
It's going to be a nightmare.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
15 Feb 2015, 8:43 am #21

(14 Feb 2015, 4:33 am)Andreos1 http://m.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1179...ref=twtrec

Reckon Durham will be best avoided in the summer if it can be helped.

It will be interesting to see if operators will make revisions to services, to combat delays.
It's going to be a nightmare.

Jimmi

15 May 2015, 1:49 pm #22
Durham County Council have now changed the style of timetables at non major stops to the style where it lists services separately that they have been using at major stops (eg. Aycliffe Town Centre and Durham Bus Station) for a few years now.
Jimmi
15 May 2015, 1:49 pm #22

Durham County Council have now changed the style of timetables at non major stops to the style where it lists services separately that they have been using at major stops (eg. Aycliffe Town Centre and Durham Bus Station) for a few years now.

citaro5284

21 Aug 2015, 7:01 pm #23
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/13...s/?ref=rss

More roadworks in Durham.
citaro5284
21 Aug 2015, 7:01 pm #23

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/13...s/?ref=rss

cbma06

21 Aug 2015, 8:03 pm #24
(21 Aug 2015, 7:01 pm)citaro5284 http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/13...s/?ref=rss

yep, I saw this on the council website awhile ago:

http://www.durham.gov.uk/scoot

http://www.durham.gov.uk/media/6878/Gile...t_plan.pdf 

http://www.durham.gov.uk/media/6879/Leaz...t_plan.pdf 

It is now proposed to commence on Gilesgate roundabout in early 2016 and Leazes Bowl in Summer 2016, to coordinate with required traffic surveys in Autumn 2015. Once completed we hope to start using the SCOOT system in 2017.

cbma06
21 Aug 2015, 8:03 pm #24

(21 Aug 2015, 7:01 pm)citaro5284 http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/13...s/?ref=rss

yep, I saw this on the council website awhile ago:

It is now proposed to commence on Gilesgate roundabout in early 2016 and Leazes Bowl in Summer 2016, to coordinate with required traffic surveys in Autumn 2015. Once completed we hope to start using the SCOOT system in 2017.

Adrian

21 Aug 2015, 9:47 pm #25

"MOTORISTS who have endured weeks of traffic troubles due to a £1 million bridge repair project are facing further roadworks woe, it has emerged."

What a load of tosh that statement is. The traffic flow in and out of Durham has been absolutely fine from start to finish, and the works are well ahead of schedule.

Adrian
21 Aug 2015, 9:47 pm #25

"MOTORISTS who have endured weeks of traffic troubles due to a £1 million bridge repair project are facing further roadworks woe, it has emerged."

What a load of tosh that statement is. The traffic flow in and out of Durham has been absolutely fine from start to finish, and the works are well ahead of schedule.

Jimmi

21 Aug 2015, 9:58 pm #26
(21 Aug 2015, 9:47 pm)aureolin "MOTORISTS who have endured weeks of traffic troubles due to a £1 million bridge repair project are facing further roadworks woe, it has emerged."

Try getting into Durham from Gilesgate, at least 20 minutes to get from Gilesgate Sainsburys to Durham Bus Station on most journeys I've done on the services that run along that way since the roadworks started so I disagree to some extent. I am not getting another 20/20A, 22/24, 208 or 265 into Durham until the roadworks end as the traffic is horrendous in this area at the moment.
Edited 21 Aug 2015, 10:01 pm by Jimmi.
Jimmi
21 Aug 2015, 9:58 pm #26

(21 Aug 2015, 9:47 pm)aureolin "MOTORISTS who have endured weeks of traffic troubles due to a £1 million bridge repair project are facing further roadworks woe, it has emerged."

Try getting into Durham from Gilesgate, at least 20 minutes to get from Gilesgate Sainsburys to Durham Bus Station on most journeys I've done on the services that run along that way since the roadworks started so I disagree to some extent. I am not getting another 20/20A, 22/24, 208 or 265 into Durham until the roadworks end as the traffic is horrendous in this area at the moment.

Adrian

21 Aug 2015, 10:01 pm #27
(21 Aug 2015, 9:58 pm)Jimmi Try getting into Durham from Gilesgate, at least 20 minutes to get from Gilesgate Sainsburys to Durham Bus Station on most journeys I've done on the services that run along that way since the roadworks started so I disagree. I am not getting another 20/20A, 22/24, 208 or 265 into Durham until the roadworks end as the traffic is horrendous in this area at the moment.

I come in every morning via Elvet Bridge and the Leazers Bowl roundabout. Most buses are getting in 5 minutes early. I've plenty of colleagues that do the full run from Belmont/Gilesgate area, and they also reckon that it's a lot quieter than normal days. 

The only exception seems to be the day after they change the works layout over the bridge. For example they now have a lane either side, and it was a bit daft on Monday because of it.

Adrian
21 Aug 2015, 10:01 pm #27

(21 Aug 2015, 9:58 pm)Jimmi Try getting into Durham from Gilesgate, at least 20 minutes to get from Gilesgate Sainsburys to Durham Bus Station on most journeys I've done on the services that run along that way since the roadworks started so I disagree. I am not getting another 20/20A, 22/24, 208 or 265 into Durham until the roadworks end as the traffic is horrendous in this area at the moment.

I come in every morning via Elvet Bridge and the Leazers Bowl roundabout. Most buses are getting in 5 minutes early. I've plenty of colleagues that do the full run from Belmont/Gilesgate area, and they also reckon that it's a lot quieter than normal days. 

The only exception seems to be the day after they change the works layout over the bridge. For example they now have a lane either side, and it was a bit daft on Monday because of it.

Jimmi

21 Aug 2015, 10:07 pm #28
(21 Aug 2015, 10:01 pm)aureolin I come in every morning via Elvet Bridge and the Leazers Bowl roundabout. Most buses are getting in 5 minutes early. I've plenty of colleagues that do the full run from Belmont/Gilesgate area, and they also reckon that it's a lot quieter than normal days. 

It will be quieter on a morning at the moment as the schools are off and some people are on holiday so there will less cars and no school buses/coaches running through Durham on a morning. I can't say anything about mornings as I haven't been over that way at rush hour on a morning but the traffic is definitely worse from Gilesgate during the daytime and I have seen the 22/24 often Arrive anything up to 15 minutes late (sometimes more) and the 20/20A have often arrived in Durham Bus Station within seconds of each other at times.
Jimmi
21 Aug 2015, 10:07 pm #28

(21 Aug 2015, 10:01 pm)aureolin I come in every morning via Elvet Bridge and the Leazers Bowl roundabout. Most buses are getting in 5 minutes early. I've plenty of colleagues that do the full run from Belmont/Gilesgate area, and they also reckon that it's a lot quieter than normal days. 

It will be quieter on a morning at the moment as the schools are off and some people are on holiday so there will less cars and no school buses/coaches running through Durham on a morning. I can't say anything about mornings as I haven't been over that way at rush hour on a morning but the traffic is definitely worse from Gilesgate during the daytime and I have seen the 22/24 often Arrive anything up to 15 minutes late (sometimes more) and the 20/20A have often arrived in Durham Bus Station within seconds of each other at times.

BusLoverMum

21 Aug 2015, 10:14 pm #29
(21 Aug 2015, 8:03 pm)cbma06 yep, I saw this on the council website awhile ago:

So hardly any delay then. Millburngate bridge has always been a pinch point with traffic often way up Gilesgate at peak times - the bridgeworks have simply extended those busy times but haven't made tailbacks any worse. (Buses have actually been more punctual for more of the day, most days, thanks to Arriva's contingency plans.) That bridge doesn't carry anything like the traffic of Millburngate Bridge, so the effects of the work will hardly be felt.
BusLoverMum
21 Aug 2015, 10:14 pm #29

(21 Aug 2015, 8:03 pm)cbma06 yep, I saw this on the council website awhile ago:

So hardly any delay then. Millburngate bridge has always been a pinch point with traffic often way up Gilesgate at peak times - the bridgeworks have simply extended those busy times but haven't made tailbacks any worse. (Buses have actually been more punctual for more of the day, most days, thanks to Arriva's contingency plans.) That bridge doesn't carry anything like the traffic of Millburngate Bridge, so the effects of the work will hardly be felt.

BusLoverMum

21 Aug 2015, 10:17 pm #30
(21 Aug 2015, 10:07 pm)Jimmi It will be quieter on a morning at the moment as the schools are off and some people are on holiday so there will less cars and no school buses/coaches running through Durham on a morning. I can't say anything about mornings as I haven't been over that way at rush hour on a morning but the traffic is definitely worse from Gilesgate during the daytime and I have seen the 22/24 often Arrive anything up to 15 minutes late (sometimes more) and the 20/20A have often arrived in Durham Bus Station within seconds of each other at times.

The late arrival of the 22/24 was anticipated though.

I might even miss big'un telling me there's a double decker passing the house, instead of the usual streetdecks. Today I've been pretending there wasn't. (It's been a long, slightly soggy but in the worst sensory, in your face way, day).
BusLoverMum
21 Aug 2015, 10:17 pm #30

(21 Aug 2015, 10:07 pm)Jimmi It will be quieter on a morning at the moment as the schools are off and some people are on holiday so there will less cars and no school buses/coaches running through Durham on a morning. I can't say anything about mornings as I haven't been over that way at rush hour on a morning but the traffic is definitely worse from Gilesgate during the daytime and I have seen the 22/24 often Arrive anything up to 15 minutes late (sometimes more) and the 20/20A have often arrived in Durham Bus Station within seconds of each other at times.

The late arrival of the 22/24 was anticipated though.

I might even miss big'un telling me there's a double decker passing the house, instead of the usual streetdecks. Today I've been pretending there wasn't. (It's been a long, slightly soggy but in the worst sensory, in your face way, day).

Adrian

21 Aug 2015, 10:18 pm #31

The 22/24 are always late. One of my mates lives up Thornley way, and he's forever on at Arriva about reliability. We've discussed their inability to regulate services for yonks now though, haven't we?

Adrian
21 Aug 2015, 10:18 pm #31

The 22/24 are always late. One of my mates lives up Thornley way, and he's forever on at Arriva about reliability. We've discussed their inability to regulate services for yonks now though, haven't we?

Jimmi

21 Aug 2015, 10:24 pm #32
(21 Aug 2015, 10:18 pm)aureolin The 22/24 are always late. One of my mates lives up Thornley way, and he's forever on at Arriva about reliability. We've discussed their inability to regulate services for yonks now though, haven't we?

Have to agree about the 22/24, they have often turned up late when I've used them on outings.
Jimmi
21 Aug 2015, 10:24 pm #32

(21 Aug 2015, 10:18 pm)aureolin The 22/24 are always late. One of my mates lives up Thornley way, and he's forever on at Arriva about reliability. We've discussed their inability to regulate services for yonks now though, haven't we?

Have to agree about the 22/24, they have often turned up late when I've used them on outings.

BusLoverMum

21 Aug 2015, 10:34 pm #33

It's been much, much better since the end of October when the 22 got the Sunderland run. Before that I used to see buses running just a few minutes apart, which is terrible for a half hourly service. When it was hourly, they'd just get cancelled. I never bothered travelling to Durham unless I had an appointment. I have a feeling that the 24 now gets the bulk of the late runs, though. Even if there's no roadworks, on the route, it can take forever to do that windy run through Pennine drive etc in Peterlee if people are badly parked.
BusLoverMum
21 Aug 2015, 10:34 pm #33

It's been much, much better since the end of October when the 22 got the Sunderland run. Before that I used to see buses running just a few minutes apart, which is terrible for a half hourly service. When it was hourly, they'd just get cancelled. I never bothered travelling to Durham unless I had an appointment. I have a feeling that the 24 now gets the bulk of the late runs, though. Even if there's no roadworks, on the route, it can take forever to do that windy run through Pennine drive etc in Peterlee if people are badly parked.

Drifter60

23 Aug 2015, 7:59 am #34

Have to agree about 22/24 they are often very late. I'm fact the millburngate bridge works seems to have sorted some reliability issues out as since they interwork I've noticed they haven't turned up as late as usual.
Drifter60
23 Aug 2015, 7:59 am #34

Have to agree about 22/24 they are often very late. I'm fact the millburngate bridge works seems to have sorted some reliability issues out as since they interwork I've noticed they haven't turned up as late as usual.

Andreos1

24 Aug 2015, 9:42 am #35
(21 Aug 2015, 9:58 pm)Jimmi Try getting into Durham from Gilesgate, at least 20 minutes to get from Gilesgate Sainsburys to Durham Bus Station on most journeys I've done on the services that run along that way since the roadworks started so I disagree to some extent. I am not getting another 20/20A, 22/24, 208 or 265 into Durham until the roadworks end as the traffic is horrendous in this area at the moment.

To be honest, Gilesgate can be bad without the roadworks.
Having lived in the area in years gone by and also travelled in car and on bus in the area on a too regular basis since, it doesn't take much to cause it to snarl up - hence the bus lane being introduced and the X20 (both when it was a standalone service and since its peak time only runs) using the A690 and inbound bus lane.
The road layout from Gilesgate onto Leazes Bowl, was also adapted to take into account the traffic issues.

As for the 20/20a running in pairs and arriving/departing together. That's nowt new. I think we have both mentioned it in the past - well before the works.
One often ends up parked outside the marked bays, due to there already being one on the bay.

45mins from the car parts place at the junction of Sherburn Road - Milburngate lights is the record in the car.
That was a few years ago and without any works going on.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
24 Aug 2015, 9:42 am #35

(21 Aug 2015, 9:58 pm)Jimmi Try getting into Durham from Gilesgate, at least 20 minutes to get from Gilesgate Sainsburys to Durham Bus Station on most journeys I've done on the services that run along that way since the roadworks started so I disagree to some extent. I am not getting another 20/20A, 22/24, 208 or 265 into Durham until the roadworks end as the traffic is horrendous in this area at the moment.

To be honest, Gilesgate can be bad without the roadworks.
Having lived in the area in years gone by and also travelled in car and on bus in the area on a too regular basis since, it doesn't take much to cause it to snarl up - hence the bus lane being introduced and the X20 (both when it was a standalone service and since its peak time only runs) using the A690 and inbound bus lane.
The road layout from Gilesgate onto Leazes Bowl, was also adapted to take into account the traffic issues.

As for the 20/20a running in pairs and arriving/departing together. That's nowt new. I think we have both mentioned it in the past - well before the works.
One often ends up parked outside the marked bays, due to there already being one on the bay.

45mins from the car parts place at the junction of Sherburn Road - Milburngate lights is the record in the car.
That was a few years ago and without any works going on.

Andreos1

06 Jan 2016, 11:30 am #36
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...k-10688694

Delays expected in Durham as works are due to start.

Andreos1
06 Jan 2016, 11:30 am #36

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...k-10688694

BusLoverMum

06 Jan 2016, 12:28 pm #37
(06 Jan 2016, 11:30 am)Andreos1 http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...k-10688694

Such fun.

Hopefully the results will be worth it. I'm guessing the matrix signs which have been installed on all routes into Durham are intended to be coordinated with the system.
BusLoverMum
06 Jan 2016, 12:28 pm #37

(06 Jan 2016, 11:30 am)Andreos1 http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...k-10688694

Such fun.

Hopefully the results will be worth it. I'm guessing the matrix signs which have been installed on all routes into Durham are intended to be coordinated with the system.

Andreos1

15 Jan 2016, 12:07 pm #38
Completely forgot to mention this the other day - but members of staff from DCC have been in Peterlee bus station, conducting surveys on smoking/smoking in the bus station.

There were at least two members of staff asking questions about how regularly you use the station, whether smokers flout bans and are seen to be smoking in the station and if anything could be done to improve things with regard to maintaining the ban.

Andreos1
15 Jan 2016, 12:07 pm #38

Completely forgot to mention this the other day - but members of staff from DCC have been in Peterlee bus station, conducting surveys on smoking/smoking in the bus station.

There were at least two members of staff asking questions about how regularly you use the station, whether smokers flout bans and are seen to be smoking in the station and if anything could be done to improve things with regard to maintaining the ban.

BusLoverMum

15 Jan 2016, 8:19 pm #39
(15 Jan 2016, 12:07 pm)Andreos1 Completely forgot to mention this the other day - but members of staff from DCC have been in Peterlee bus station, conducting surveys on smoking/smoking in the bus station.

Most people stand in front of the doors to smoke, there. And, unless it's cold or wet, most people stand in front of the doors, regardless!
BusLoverMum
15 Jan 2016, 8:19 pm #39

(15 Jan 2016, 12:07 pm)Andreos1 Completely forgot to mention this the other day - but members of staff from DCC have been in Peterlee bus station, conducting surveys on smoking/smoking in the bus station.

Most people stand in front of the doors to smoke, there. And, unless it's cold or wet, most people stand in front of the doors, regardless!

Andreos1

16 Jan 2016, 11:03 am #40
(15 Jan 2016, 8:19 pm)BusLoverMum Most people stand in front of the doors to smoke, there. And, unless it's cold or wet, most people stand in front of the doors, regardless!
Similar to North Road?

I only ever use Peterlee to change buses, so have never ventured anywhere other than the bus stands.
Edited 16 Jan 2016, 11:03 am by Andreos1.

Andreos1
16 Jan 2016, 11:03 am #40

(15 Jan 2016, 8:19 pm)BusLoverMum Most people stand in front of the doors to smoke, there. And, unless it's cold or wet, most people stand in front of the doors, regardless!
Similar to North Road?

I only ever use Peterlee to change buses, so have never ventured anywhere other than the bus stands.

Pages (5): Previous 1 2 35 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average