Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure PSV Accessibility Regulations (DDA Regulations) - at a glance

PSV Accessibility Regulations (DDA Regulations) - at a glance

PSV Accessibility Regulations (DDA Regulations) - at a glance

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (11): Previous 1 2 311 Next
Adrian

15 Aug 2015, 10:11 am #21
(15 Aug 2015, 9:57 am)Tom Also, I can't understand why the Lolynes aren't DDA compliant.

Is the seat height from the floor compliant with the PSVAR?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
15 Aug 2015, 10:11 am #21

(15 Aug 2015, 9:57 am)Tom Also, I can't understand why the Lolynes aren't DDA compliant.

Is the seat height from the floor compliant with the PSVAR?

BusLoverMum

15 Aug 2015, 2:32 pm #22
(15 Aug 2015, 9:57 am)Tom Also, I can't understand why the Lolynes aren't DDA compliant. Compared to the Presidents, the Lolynes are much more accessible and you hear a lot of people complaining when the Presidents are on the 1 and 17 due to the lack of wheelchair room (1 small space compared to 2 spaces on the Lolynes) and also lack of seats downstairs.

I'm currently sat on a lolyne. Access to the wheelchair space is tight and the stairs to the top deck make it inaccessible to a lot of people. I struggle on them even when the bus is stationary and I can't carry anything down them.

Seat height is lovely, but I'm a short arse who hates my feet not firm on the floor
Edited 15 Aug 2015, 2:35 pm by BusLoverMum.
BusLoverMum
15 Aug 2015, 2:32 pm #22

(15 Aug 2015, 9:57 am)Tom Also, I can't understand why the Lolynes aren't DDA compliant. Compared to the Presidents, the Lolynes are much more accessible and you hear a lot of people complaining when the Presidents are on the 1 and 17 due to the lack of wheelchair room (1 small space compared to 2 spaces on the Lolynes) and also lack of seats downstairs.

I'm currently sat on a lolyne. Access to the wheelchair space is tight and the stairs to the top deck make it inaccessible to a lot of people. I struggle on them even when the bus is stationary and I can't carry anything down them.

Seat height is lovely, but I'm a short arse who hates my feet not firm on the floor

L469 YVK

15 Aug 2015, 2:54 pm #23
I don't think DDA is affecting the bus industry too much. I'd say that:

- High fuel costs
- Euro emission laws

Are affecting the industry. If the D10-245 was mounted into a Gemini 2 body with a ZF Ecomat, you'd have the perfect bus that could do everything from a short hop around the Toon to a (100?) mile stint to Berwick with ease.
L469 YVK
15 Aug 2015, 2:54 pm #23

I don't think DDA is affecting the bus industry too much. I'd say that:

- High fuel costs
- Euro emission laws

Are affecting the industry. If the D10-245 was mounted into a Gemini 2 body with a ZF Ecomat, you'd have the perfect bus that could do everything from a short hop around the Toon to a (100?) mile stint to Berwick with ease.

idiot

17 Aug 2015, 9:06 pm #24
When I was in a wheelchair the MAN's SC had in Sunderland were easier than the Enviro to get on!
idiot
17 Aug 2015, 9:06 pm #24

When I was in a wheelchair the MAN's SC had in Sunderland were easier than the Enviro to get on!

GuyParkRoyal

31 Dec 2015, 1:50 pm #25
I have just passed the Scarlet Band E200 in Chester le Street and notice that it has no side or rear destination displays. With less than a day to go for the next phase of PSVAR they need to get a move on if this vehicle is going to be used next week.
GuyParkRoyal
31 Dec 2015, 1:50 pm #25

I have just passed the Scarlet Band E200 in Chester le Street and notice that it has no side or rear destination displays. With less than a day to go for the next phase of PSVAR they need to get a move on if this vehicle is going to be used next week.

Adrian

31 Dec 2015, 1:56 pm #26
(31 Dec 2015, 1:50 pm)GuyParkRoyal I have just passed the Scarlet Band E200 in Chester le Street and notice that it has no side or rear destination displays. With less than a day to go for the next phase of PSVAR they need to get a move on if this vehicle is going to be used next week.

Both YN04LWM and YG55YGL are the same. Photos below.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stueybish/...ateposted/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stueybish/...otostream/

I know they don't have to be compliant until tomorrow, but talk about leaving things until the last minute!

Adrian
31 Dec 2015, 1:56 pm #26

(31 Dec 2015, 1:50 pm)GuyParkRoyal I have just passed the Scarlet Band E200 in Chester le Street and notice that it has no side or rear destination displays. With less than a day to go for the next phase of PSVAR they need to get a move on if this vehicle is going to be used next week.

Both YN04LWM and YG55YGL are the same. Photos below.

I know they don't have to be compliant until tomorrow, but talk about leaving things until the last minute!

Dan

Site Administrator

31 Dec 2015, 2:04 pm #27
(31 Dec 2015, 1:50 pm)GuyParkRoyal I have just passed the Scarlet Band E200 in Chester le Street and notice that it has no side or rear destination displays. With less than a day to go for the next phase of PSVAR they need to get a move on if this vehicle is going to be used next week.

The vehicle in question is MX10KNW.

It certainly used to have a side destination display, and it looked like it used to have a rear destination screen too, but both had been removed (you could see the gap left behind with nothing there).

(31 Dec 2015, 1:56 pm)Adrian Both YN04LWM and YG55YGL are the same. Photos below.

It's not just Scarlet Band!

Whilst the destination displays are fitted to Go North East and Arriva North East vehicles, several do not work. In just a short ten-minute trip to Sunderland City Centre today; I spotted one vehicle without a working rear destination display, another without working side/rear destination displays, and another with a distorted front display. Whilst the third was legible, and probably compliant with the regulations, it certainly isn't good practice to have it going around like that.

I cannot see operators being 100% compliant tomorrow (or the next day, given that nobody operates tomorrow), that's for sure.
Dan
31 Dec 2015, 2:04 pm #27

(31 Dec 2015, 1:50 pm)GuyParkRoyal I have just passed the Scarlet Band E200 in Chester le Street and notice that it has no side or rear destination displays. With less than a day to go for the next phase of PSVAR they need to get a move on if this vehicle is going to be used next week.

The vehicle in question is MX10KNW.

It certainly used to have a side destination display, and it looked like it used to have a rear destination screen too, but both had been removed (you could see the gap left behind with nothing there).

(31 Dec 2015, 1:56 pm)Adrian Both YN04LWM and YG55YGL are the same. Photos below.

Whilst the destination displays are fitted to Go North East and Arriva North East vehicles, several do not work. In just a short ten-minute trip to Sunderland City Centre today; I spotted one vehicle without a working rear destination display, another without working side/rear destination displays, and another with a distorted front display. Whilst the third was legible, and probably compliant with the regulations, it certainly isn't good practice to have it going around like that.

I cannot see operators being 100% compliant tomorrow (or the next day, given that nobody operates tomorrow), that's for sure.

DanPicken

Banned

31 Dec 2015, 2:19 pm #28
(31 Dec 2015, 2:04 pm)Dan The vehicle in question is MX10KNW.

Neither can I, only Stagecoach are ready.
DanPicken
31 Dec 2015, 2:19 pm #28

(31 Dec 2015, 2:04 pm)Dan The vehicle in question is MX10KNW.

Neither can I, only Stagecoach are ready.

Adrian

31 Dec 2015, 2:24 pm #29
(31 Dec 2015, 2:04 pm)Dan It's not just Scarlet Band!

It'll be interesting to see if any depots send non-compliant vehicles out on the 2nd. If the worst comes to the worst, do they send a bus with a knackered rear destination out, or just bite the bullet and record the lost mileage? 

(31 Dec 2015, 2:19 pm)DanPicken Neither can I, only Stagecoach are ready.

Have you been round the depots to do an audit, Dan? I'd noticed a MAN yesterday, where the illumination on the front flipdot wasn't working. That wouldn't be 'ready', would it?

Adrian
31 Dec 2015, 2:24 pm #29

(31 Dec 2015, 2:04 pm)Dan It's not just Scarlet Band!

It'll be interesting to see if any depots send non-compliant vehicles out on the 2nd. If the worst comes to the worst, do they send a bus with a knackered rear destination out, or just bite the bullet and record the lost mileage? 

(31 Dec 2015, 2:19 pm)DanPicken Neither can I, only Stagecoach are ready.

Have you been round the depots to do an audit, Dan? I'd noticed a MAN yesterday, where the illumination on the front flipdot wasn't working. That wouldn't be 'ready', would it?

DanPicken

Banned

31 Dec 2015, 2:27 pm #30
(31 Dec 2015, 2:24 pm)Adrian It'll be interesting to see if any depots send non-compliant vehicles out on the 2nd. If the worst comes to the worst, do they send a bus with a knackered rear destination out, or just bite the bullet and record the lost mileage? 

BIB#1 They'd probably just send it out as otherwise some services could have a limited service.

BIB#2 No, I haven't but thats one compared to the amount GNE/ANE have.
Edited 31 Dec 2015, 2:28 pm by DanPicken.
DanPicken
31 Dec 2015, 2:27 pm #30

(31 Dec 2015, 2:24 pm)Adrian It'll be interesting to see if any depots send non-compliant vehicles out on the 2nd. If the worst comes to the worst, do they send a bus with a knackered rear destination out, or just bite the bullet and record the lost mileage? 

BIB#1 They'd probably just send it out as otherwise some services could have a limited service.

Jimmi

31 Dec 2015, 2:31 pm #31

Arriva will most likely do so, there is at least one MAX Omnicity at Darlington with broke side and rear screens, 1521's side screen wasn't working yesterday and I think 1799 has neither side or rear destination equipment (rear power blinds).
Jimmi
31 Dec 2015, 2:31 pm #31

Arriva will most likely do so, there is at least one MAX Omnicity at Darlington with broke side and rear screens, 1521's side screen wasn't working yesterday and I think 1799 has neither side or rear destination equipment (rear power blinds).

Adrian

31 Dec 2015, 2:35 pm #32
(31 Dec 2015, 2:27 pm)DanPicken BIB#1 They'd probably just send it out as otherwise some services could have a limited service.

Do you have a figure that you can put on how many they have, compared to what Stagecoach have?

Adrian
31 Dec 2015, 2:35 pm #32

(31 Dec 2015, 2:27 pm)DanPicken BIB#1 They'd probably just send it out as otherwise some services could have a limited service.

Do you have a figure that you can put on how many they have, compared to what Stagecoach have?

Dan

Site Administrator

31 Dec 2015, 2:35 pm #33

On paper, it should render the bus unfit for service. In reality, I can't see that being the case!

I'm all for making public transport more accessible, but I think that most disabled passengers would prefer the bus to turn up, instead of them being left there at a bus stop in the freezing cold while the bus that should have turned up is VOR due to a side or rear destination display not working.

(31 Dec 2015, 2:27 pm)DanPicken BIB#2 No, I haven't but thats one compared to the amount GNE/ANE have.

So Stagecoach aren't 100% ready, then?
Dan
31 Dec 2015, 2:35 pm #33

On paper, it should render the bus unfit for service. In reality, I can't see that being the case!

I'm all for making public transport more accessible, but I think that most disabled passengers would prefer the bus to turn up, instead of them being left there at a bus stop in the freezing cold while the bus that should have turned up is VOR due to a side or rear destination display not working.

(31 Dec 2015, 2:27 pm)DanPicken BIB#2 No, I haven't but thats one compared to the amount GNE/ANE have.

DanPicken

Banned

31 Dec 2015, 2:39 pm #34
(31 Dec 2015, 2:35 pm)Dan On paper, it should render the bus unfit for service. In reality, I can't see that being the case!

99.98% ready.
DanPicken
31 Dec 2015, 2:39 pm #34

(31 Dec 2015, 2:35 pm)Dan On paper, it should render the bus unfit for service. In reality, I can't see that being the case!

99.98% ready.

BJ10VUS

31 Dec 2015, 2:41 pm #35
(15 Aug 2015, 2:54 pm)DaveyBowyer I don't think DDA is affecting the bus industry too much. I'd say that:

- High fuel costs
- Euro emission laws

High fuel costs mean that buses need to be more fuel efficient in order to remain affordable for customers. Unforunately, you can't keep living in the past, because it's unlikely to change.
BJ10VUS
31 Dec 2015, 2:41 pm #35

(15 Aug 2015, 2:54 pm)DaveyBowyer I don't think DDA is affecting the bus industry too much. I'd say that:

- High fuel costs
- Euro emission laws

High fuel costs mean that buses need to be more fuel efficient in order to remain affordable for customers. Unforunately, you can't keep living in the past, because it's unlikely to change.

Dan

Site Administrator

31 Dec 2015, 2:41 pm #36
(31 Dec 2015, 2:39 pm)DanPicken 99.98% ready.

Ah; so you must have a figure at hand to answer Adrian's question, if you're able to provide a percentage!  Rolleyes
Dan
31 Dec 2015, 2:41 pm #36

(31 Dec 2015, 2:39 pm)DanPicken 99.98% ready.

Ah; so you must have a figure at hand to answer Adrian's question, if you're able to provide a percentage!  Rolleyes

DanPicken

Banned

31 Dec 2015, 2:42 pm #37
(31 Dec 2015, 2:35 pm)Adrian Do you have a figure that you can put on how many they have, compared to what Stagecoach have?

Stagecoach have 1. That we know of.
DanPicken
31 Dec 2015, 2:42 pm #37

(31 Dec 2015, 2:35 pm)Adrian Do you have a figure that you can put on how many they have, compared to what Stagecoach have?

Stagecoach have 1. That we know of.

Dan

Site Administrator

31 Dec 2015, 2:49 pm #38
(31 Dec 2015, 2:42 pm)DanPicken Stagecoach have 1. That we know of.

'That we know of' - those are the key words! Whilst Stagecoach undeniably have fewer examples of destinations not working, they definitely do have more than one...

Anything can be made to look good as a percentage. For your information; one vehicle in the fleet of Busways' 385 without a full compliment of working destinations would be 99.25% working - not 99.98%.  Wink
Dan
31 Dec 2015, 2:49 pm #38

(31 Dec 2015, 2:42 pm)DanPicken Stagecoach have 1. That we know of.

'That we know of' - those are the key words! Whilst Stagecoach undeniably have fewer examples of destinations not working, they definitely do have more than one...

Anything can be made to look good as a percentage. For your information; one vehicle in the fleet of Busways' 385 without a full compliment of working destinations would be 99.25% working - not 99.98%.  Wink

DanPicken

Banned

31 Dec 2015, 2:51 pm #39
(31 Dec 2015, 2:49 pm)Dan 'That we know of' - those are the key words! Whilst Stagecoach undeniably have fewer examples of destinations not working, they definitely do have more than one...

Not good with counting... Angel
DanPicken
31 Dec 2015, 2:51 pm #39

(31 Dec 2015, 2:49 pm)Dan 'That we know of' - those are the key words! Whilst Stagecoach undeniably have fewer examples of destinations not working, they definitely do have more than one...

Not good with counting... Angel

Adrian

31 Dec 2015, 3:08 pm #40
(31 Dec 2015, 2:51 pm)DanPicken Not good with counting... Angel

Or facts  Big Grin

Adrian
31 Dec 2015, 3:08 pm #40

(31 Dec 2015, 2:51 pm)DanPicken Not good with counting... Angel

Or facts  Big Grin

Pages (11): Previous 1 2 311 Next