Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure English National Concession Travel Scheme (ENCTS)

English National Concession Travel Scheme (ENCTS)

English National Concession Travel Scheme (ENCTS)

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Pages (2): Previous 1 2
Adrian

08 Jan 2015, 8:09 pm #21
(08 Jan 2015, 1:22 pm)MurdnunoC In that case, should it be extended to the unemployed and those on low income? Someone else mentioned it should be extended to those in higher education up to to the age of 22, but why should mature students be exempt? It will never be perfect as there's always someone who's going to be disadvantaged in some way. As I said, I'd like to see some sort of progressive means-testing applied. But for me, I'd rather have it as it is than have no provision at all. At least, that way, improvements and revisions to the scheme can be made. 

Absolutely. If you give one group of people a benefit to support their cost of living crisis, then it's only fair that the same benefit is extended to those in the same boat. I disagree with ENCTS in it's current form, as I think it's far from being affordable, and it's far too selective in who benefits. OAP before 0930 can travel for 50p in County Durham, yet a child, perhaps from a low income family, could be paying anywhere up to £2.30 to get to school. That's not right.

I read an article not long ago (Independent springs to mind), that it's costing nationally around 1bn a year to provide the free travel. The government have reduced the financial support they give to local councils and PTEs, to fund ENCTS, by about 39%. The amount of use hasn't dropped by 39%, so councils and PTEs are now having to plug that funding gap. In another article, I read that about 250m worth of subsidised bus routes in the UK have been cut since 2010. It's not rocket science that if a council or PTE is obliged to fund a statutory scheme (such as ENCTS), then it's going to have to look elsewhere when it comes to budget reduction. In this case, it's quite clear they've looked straight at the subsidised routes that they previously funded.

Maybe this is why there is a lot of discontent towards ENCTS from bus users? Fare paying customers paying a lot more for less. Fares have rocketed over the rate of inflation since ENCTS was brought in, and I know mine personally has more than doubled. There are a lot less commercially viable routes, and there is very little in the way of secured evening and Sunday services, which we've had in the past. It's nothing short of a disgrace that in 2014, some villages in Durham, do not have a single bus service on a Sunday. Perhaps the ENCTS model just doesn't work in a deregulated market?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
08 Jan 2015, 8:09 pm #21

(08 Jan 2015, 1:22 pm)MurdnunoC In that case, should it be extended to the unemployed and those on low income? Someone else mentioned it should be extended to those in higher education up to to the age of 22, but why should mature students be exempt? It will never be perfect as there's always someone who's going to be disadvantaged in some way. As I said, I'd like to see some sort of progressive means-testing applied. But for me, I'd rather have it as it is than have no provision at all. At least, that way, improvements and revisions to the scheme can be made. 

Absolutely. If you give one group of people a benefit to support their cost of living crisis, then it's only fair that the same benefit is extended to those in the same boat. I disagree with ENCTS in it's current form, as I think it's far from being affordable, and it's far too selective in who benefits. OAP before 0930 can travel for 50p in County Durham, yet a child, perhaps from a low income family, could be paying anywhere up to £2.30 to get to school. That's not right.

I read an article not long ago (Independent springs to mind), that it's costing nationally around 1bn a year to provide the free travel. The government have reduced the financial support they give to local councils and PTEs, to fund ENCTS, by about 39%. The amount of use hasn't dropped by 39%, so councils and PTEs are now having to plug that funding gap. In another article, I read that about 250m worth of subsidised bus routes in the UK have been cut since 2010. It's not rocket science that if a council or PTE is obliged to fund a statutory scheme (such as ENCTS), then it's going to have to look elsewhere when it comes to budget reduction. In this case, it's quite clear they've looked straight at the subsidised routes that they previously funded.

Maybe this is why there is a lot of discontent towards ENCTS from bus users? Fare paying customers paying a lot more for less. Fares have rocketed over the rate of inflation since ENCTS was brought in, and I know mine personally has more than doubled. There are a lot less commercially viable routes, and there is very little in the way of secured evening and Sunday services, which we've had in the past. It's nothing short of a disgrace that in 2014, some villages in Durham, do not have a single bus service on a Sunday. Perhaps the ENCTS model just doesn't work in a deregulated market?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

08 Jan 2015, 9:39 pm #22
(07 Jan 2015, 11:28 pm)Jimmi My announce with OAP concession passes is how they turn age 60 (is it still 60) and just get a pass no questions asked. At that age they could have nothing wrong with them and many people still work when there in their 60s and some are still physically fit so I just think this is all wrong.

I am in favor for concession passes for the disabled.

I would like to see something be done for under 18s too though as it can be expensive going to college and since EMA was scrapped a few years back some college students get no money from their chosen college and have to pay to get to school / college.

Wait until you've been around as long as I have (60+ years) then see if you feel the same. Age concessionary passes are not now issued at 60 it is currently on a sliding scale increasing all the time, at this time it is 63 or 64.
Bristol VRTSL3
08 Jan 2015, 9:39 pm #22

(07 Jan 2015, 11:28 pm)Jimmi My announce with OAP concession passes is how they turn age 60 (is it still 60) and just get a pass no questions asked. At that age they could have nothing wrong with them and many people still work when there in their 60s and some are still physically fit so I just think this is all wrong.

I am in favor for concession passes for the disabled.

I would like to see something be done for under 18s too though as it can be expensive going to college and since EMA was scrapped a few years back some college students get no money from their chosen college and have to pay to get to school / college.

Wait until you've been around as long as I have (60+ years) then see if you feel the same. Age concessionary passes are not now issued at 60 it is currently on a sliding scale increasing all the time, at this time it is 63 or 64.

RM2186

09 Jan 2015, 4:08 am #23
I won't get mine until I'm 67  Sad
RM2186
09 Jan 2015, 4:08 am #23

I won't get mine until I'm 67  Sad

Pages (2): Previous 1 2

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average