Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Employers and there understanding of Public Transport

Employers and there understanding of Public Transport

Employers and there understanding of Public Transport

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Malarkey

10 Feb 2015, 10:55 pm #1
A pretty simple question for everyone, When your at a Job Interview do you ever get asked what mode of Transport youd use to get to work and how long would it take?, or a Question of a similar meaning.

The reason I ask is in some of my recent Interviews in the few weeks there seems to be a pattern developing for me where by Employers seem to think it is incredibly difficult to get from A to B, This has lead to me to believe that they have a severe lack of knowledge of Local Public Transport Services, which maybe affecting me getting a Job.

Today was a good example when having a sit down chat with my Advisor at Ingeus and the person who deals with Apprenticeships, as I am looking to get some experience in Administration, one of Apprenticeships was based at Team Valley and the Woman immediately put that out of the window as she felt it was too far to travel to from Washington, I then had to explain to her I could get there for a 9am Start and how I would get there, So I told her I had a direct service from Washington Galleries in the form of the 939, or alternatively I could get the X1 Every 10 Minutes to Gateshead followed by the 94 Every 15 Minutes down to Team Valley, again she dismissed me and said it would be too trouble and would prefer someone more local.

My Advisor then stepped in on my behalf and explained that I have an excellent knowledge of the Local Transport Services in the Area, and gave a few examples where I had been in the office and a few of his clients hadnt a clue how to get to an Interview, so he came over asked me as he knew I would probably know when I had been in doing Job Search etc, which has happened on a few occasions, after having a bit of an argument with her over of her lack of knowledge of the local area, she eventually agreed to put me forward for an Interview.

Another example was last Wednesday when I had an Interview in Durham at the William Hedley Whetherspoons, again exact same scenario, I can get the 50 every half hour to Durham from my front door, my only difficulty was getting Home as the 50 doesnt run to/from Durham after 7pm and only runs as far as Chester le Street, I again explained this was no issue as I could get the 21 from Durham to Low Fell and stop at my Dads House, again on a weekend when I would be finishing at 1Am I explained I could get the N21, but due to Travel Difficulties in there eyes they wouldnt give me the Job.

So I am basically wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and is something that needs to be looked at as a whole by the Government etc, As I see this a potential barrier to Employment.
Malarkey
10 Feb 2015, 10:55 pm #1

A pretty simple question for everyone, When your at a Job Interview do you ever get asked what mode of Transport youd use to get to work and how long would it take?, or a Question of a similar meaning.

The reason I ask is in some of my recent Interviews in the few weeks there seems to be a pattern developing for me where by Employers seem to think it is incredibly difficult to get from A to B, This has lead to me to believe that they have a severe lack of knowledge of Local Public Transport Services, which maybe affecting me getting a Job.

Today was a good example when having a sit down chat with my Advisor at Ingeus and the person who deals with Apprenticeships, as I am looking to get some experience in Administration, one of Apprenticeships was based at Team Valley and the Woman immediately put that out of the window as she felt it was too far to travel to from Washington, I then had to explain to her I could get there for a 9am Start and how I would get there, So I told her I had a direct service from Washington Galleries in the form of the 939, or alternatively I could get the X1 Every 10 Minutes to Gateshead followed by the 94 Every 15 Minutes down to Team Valley, again she dismissed me and said it would be too trouble and would prefer someone more local.

My Advisor then stepped in on my behalf and explained that I have an excellent knowledge of the Local Transport Services in the Area, and gave a few examples where I had been in the office and a few of his clients hadnt a clue how to get to an Interview, so he came over asked me as he knew I would probably know when I had been in doing Job Search etc, which has happened on a few occasions, after having a bit of an argument with her over of her lack of knowledge of the local area, she eventually agreed to put me forward for an Interview.

Another example was last Wednesday when I had an Interview in Durham at the William Hedley Whetherspoons, again exact same scenario, I can get the 50 every half hour to Durham from my front door, my only difficulty was getting Home as the 50 doesnt run to/from Durham after 7pm and only runs as far as Chester le Street, I again explained this was no issue as I could get the 21 from Durham to Low Fell and stop at my Dads House, again on a weekend when I would be finishing at 1Am I explained I could get the N21, but due to Travel Difficulties in there eyes they wouldnt give me the Job.

So I am basically wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and is something that needs to be looked at as a whole by the Government etc, As I see this a potential barrier to Employment.

Andreos1

11 Feb 2015, 7:56 am #2
There could be a whole number of reasons, such as lack of a direct link to bad experiences with existing or previous employees.
You just have to take a look at the operators social media pages to see regular and experienced commuters have with public transport and being late.

In different parts of the country, people commute for miles on public transport.

There is a link on the forum elsewhere, relating to a study Nexus did on the lack of public transport to/from major employment hubs. They based some of the initial Bus Strategy routes around the feedback they received from employers and employees.
One suggestion was to pump prime a service from Washington to Sunderland Business Park.
We eventually saw the 8 diverted that way

Another, was the lack of a direct service between Washington and Team Valley. Outside of peaks, passengers need two buses and pay for the privilege.

South Tyneside to Cobalt was another one.

I don't think the infrastructure or current network in the region does itself any favours with regard to commuting at all.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
11 Feb 2015, 7:56 am #2

There could be a whole number of reasons, such as lack of a direct link to bad experiences with existing or previous employees.
You just have to take a look at the operators social media pages to see regular and experienced commuters have with public transport and being late.

In different parts of the country, people commute for miles on public transport.

There is a link on the forum elsewhere, relating to a study Nexus did on the lack of public transport to/from major employment hubs. They based some of the initial Bus Strategy routes around the feedback they received from employers and employees.
One suggestion was to pump prime a service from Washington to Sunderland Business Park.

Another, was the lack of a direct service between Washington and Team Valley. Outside of peaks, passengers need two buses and pay for the privilege.

I don't think the infrastructure or current network in the region does itself any favours with regard to commuting at all.

Jimmi

11 Feb 2015, 11:39 am #3
I've heard some people living in the Newton Aycliffe having issues with getting work in Faverdale as at the end of 2012 the 16 was withdrawn and now there is only one direct journey to/from Faverdale in the form of the 16A.

Some of the people who worked at Faverdale before the withdrawal of the 16 continued to work after this using the peak only 16A but apparently some were getting to their place of work nearly an hour early and finishing long before the return journey comes through Faverdale Ind Est at around 1735. I not sure why but the three lads who worked at Faverdale who used to use the 16A are no longer using it, don't wether they don't work there anymore or they now have other methods of transport.

I think another issue with employers and transport is some people apply for the job, get the job and then find out their methods of public transport.

Also there is the worry about buses running late or not turning up which could make you late for work, I know someone who was sacked from a job as the bus he needed often never turned up on a morning.
Jimmi
11 Feb 2015, 11:39 am #3

I've heard some people living in the Newton Aycliffe having issues with getting work in Faverdale as at the end of 2012 the 16 was withdrawn and now there is only one direct journey to/from Faverdale in the form of the 16A.

Some of the people who worked at Faverdale before the withdrawal of the 16 continued to work after this using the peak only 16A but apparently some were getting to their place of work nearly an hour early and finishing long before the return journey comes through Faverdale Ind Est at around 1735. I not sure why but the three lads who worked at Faverdale who used to use the 16A are no longer using it, don't wether they don't work there anymore or they now have other methods of transport.

I think another issue with employers and transport is some people apply for the job, get the job and then find out their methods of public transport.

Also there is the worry about buses running late or not turning up which could make you late for work, I know someone who was sacked from a job as the bus he needed often never turned up on a morning.

Andreos1

11 Feb 2015, 12:07 pm #4
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showth...hp?tid=125&highlight=pump

The link I was referring to re Sunderland Business Park and other employment hubs lacking public transport.

Andreos1
11 Feb 2015, 12:07 pm #4

http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showth...hp?tid=125&highlight=pump

The link I was referring to re Sunderland Business Park and other employment hubs lacking public transport.

citaro5284

11 Feb 2015, 4:50 pm #5
(11 Feb 2015, 7:56 am)Andreos South Tyneside to Cobalt was another one.

And then when it is put on, nobody uses it.....
citaro5284
11 Feb 2015, 4:50 pm #5

(11 Feb 2015, 7:56 am)Andreos South Tyneside to Cobalt was another one.

And then when it is put on, nobody uses it.....

Malarkey

11 Feb 2015, 6:01 pm #6
(11 Feb 2015, 7:56 am)Andreos1 There could be a whole number of reasons, such as lack of a direct link to bad experiences with existing or previous employees.

I quite regularly use the 8 between Sunderland and Washington due to how quick it gets from A to B compared to the 2/2A, But getting back on topic I personally think Employers across the Region need to be educated on Public Transport, as there bound to have people coming from here there and everywhere for a Job, got to also question whereabouts they are travelling from to get to work. 
Malarkey
11 Feb 2015, 6:01 pm #6

(11 Feb 2015, 7:56 am)Andreos1 There could be a whole number of reasons, such as lack of a direct link to bad experiences with existing or previous employees.

I quite regularly use the 8 between Sunderland and Washington due to how quick it gets from A to B compared to the 2/2A, But getting back on topic I personally think Employers across the Region need to be educated on Public Transport, as there bound to have people coming from here there and everywhere for a Job, got to also question whereabouts they are travelling from to get to work. 

Adrian

11 Feb 2015, 9:06 pm #7
Bit baffled by this. I've never heard of an employer asking people their mode of transport, and certainly no interviews that I've sat in, have I been asked? It's your responsibility to get to and from work, not the employer's, so it shouldn't matter.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
11 Feb 2015, 9:06 pm #7

Bit baffled by this. I've never heard of an employer asking people their mode of transport, and certainly no interviews that I've sat in, have I been asked? It's your responsibility to get to and from work, not the employer's, so it shouldn't matter.

Jimmi

11 Feb 2015, 9:15 pm #8
(11 Feb 2015, 9:06 pm)aureolin Bit baffled by this. I've never heard of an employer asking people their mode of transport, and certainly no interviews that I've sat in, have I been asked? It's your responsibility to get to and from work, not the employer's, so it shouldn't matter.

It is your responsibility to get to work however you choose to get there and I think its unfair if employers are rejecting people just because they use public transport, just because they use a bus doesn't mean they will be late everyday.

It's weird how some wouldn't fancy hiring people who live not far away but have to use public transport but are fine with some who live miles away that can drive a car.
Jimmi
11 Feb 2015, 9:15 pm #8

(11 Feb 2015, 9:06 pm)aureolin Bit baffled by this. I've never heard of an employer asking people their mode of transport, and certainly no interviews that I've sat in, have I been asked? It's your responsibility to get to and from work, not the employer's, so it shouldn't matter.

It is your responsibility to get to work however you choose to get there and I think its unfair if employers are rejecting people just because they use public transport, just because they use a bus doesn't mean they will be late everyday.

It's weird how some wouldn't fancy hiring people who live not far away but have to use public transport but are fine with some who live miles away that can drive a car.

Adrian

11 Feb 2015, 9:43 pm #9
(11 Feb 2015, 9:15 pm)Jimmi It is your responsibility to get to work however you choose to get there and I think its unfair if employers are rejecting people just because they use public transport, just because they use a bus doesn't mean they will be late everyday.

Are they though, or is it the workfare scheme doing the rejecting?? I work with people across a number of large employers, and I've never heard of people being refused interviews based on this. It's the sort of thing I'd hear about too.

Adrian
11 Feb 2015, 9:43 pm #9

(11 Feb 2015, 9:15 pm)Jimmi It is your responsibility to get to work however you choose to get there and I think its unfair if employers are rejecting people just because they use public transport, just because they use a bus doesn't mean they will be late everyday.

Are they though, or is it the workfare scheme doing the rejecting?? I work with people across a number of large employers, and I've never heard of people being refused interviews based on this. It's the sort of thing I'd hear about too.

Malarkey

11 Feb 2015, 10:03 pm #10
Its not a Question I am usually asked at an Interview, but in recent weeks it has become very common for it to be asked for me anyway which I find rather odd, and from feedback I have asked for via Email when an Employer has came back and said I was unsuccessful, getting to and from Work was the reason why, I honestly dont know what the issue is, perhaps Employers are simply unfamiliar with the Local Area and Areas outside of where they are Based, Basically the Question itself is based around the proposed Shifts you would work if you were successful at the Interview, obviously looking for someone who is Reliable and can get there on time on a Daily Basis. 

Exactly if you cant get from A to B to start a Work at say 9am, then there is no point in attending an Interview for said Job, in my case I attended because I could get there for 9am, simply by looking at where the Employer is Based and looking at Bus Times, it really isnt hard at all in my opinion, common sense really.

As for Employers who employ people who have a Car but live further away, to those who live closer but get the Bus or Metro, I just think it is overly stupid in all honesty, no wonder people like me are stuck on JSA as we are not getting a fair opportunity at the Interview Stage, which again as said in my previous posts shows the complete lack of knowledge of the Local Area and Public Transport that these Employers have.
Malarkey
11 Feb 2015, 10:03 pm #10

Its not a Question I am usually asked at an Interview, but in recent weeks it has become very common for it to be asked for me anyway which I find rather odd, and from feedback I have asked for via Email when an Employer has came back and said I was unsuccessful, getting to and from Work was the reason why, I honestly dont know what the issue is, perhaps Employers are simply unfamiliar with the Local Area and Areas outside of where they are Based, Basically the Question itself is based around the proposed Shifts you would work if you were successful at the Interview, obviously looking for someone who is Reliable and can get there on time on a Daily Basis. 

Exactly if you cant get from A to B to start a Work at say 9am, then there is no point in attending an Interview for said Job, in my case I attended because I could get there for 9am, simply by looking at where the Employer is Based and looking at Bus Times, it really isnt hard at all in my opinion, common sense really.

As for Employers who employ people who have a Car but live further away, to those who live closer but get the Bus or Metro, I just think it is overly stupid in all honesty, no wonder people like me are stuck on JSA as we are not getting a fair opportunity at the Interview Stage, which again as said in my previous posts shows the complete lack of knowledge of the Local Area and Public Transport that these Employers have.

Andreos1

11 Feb 2015, 10:20 pm #11
(11 Feb 2015, 4:50 pm)citaro5284 And then when it is put on, nobody uses it.....
At the risk of going off topic - research will have been done, loads (according to Dan) were good when it first started. So the question needs to be asked as to why loads tailed off.

(11 Feb 2015, 6:01 pm)Malarkey I quite regularly use the 8 between Sunderland and Washington due to how quick it gets from A to B compared to the 2/2A, But getting back on topic I personally think Employers across the Region need to be educated on Public Transport, as there bound to have people coming from here there and everywhere for a Job, got to also question whereabouts they are travelling from to get to work.

Organisations such as Valley Links (think that is the name), try and promote alternative modes of transport to the car. Maybe there needs to be more done.

I have been racking my brains and thinking back to when I was in your situation and relying on public transport and I am pretty sure the question was asked, but this was based on working outside normal 9-5 hrs - for instance dealing with deliveries and was aimed at finding out how flexible I could be.
Living half an hour away and relying on a half hourly bus service, would not have given the employer the flexibility they may have needed or wanted at the time.

Of course, I told them about public transport and how the folks could drive and drop me off if needed. Obviously the folks had no idea I had volunteered them for taxi duties, but it gave me the upper hand to those relying on the bus.

Andreos1
11 Feb 2015, 10:20 pm #11

(11 Feb 2015, 4:50 pm)citaro5284 And then when it is put on, nobody uses it.....
At the risk of going off topic - research will have been done, loads (according to Dan) were good when it first started. So the question needs to be asked as to why loads tailed off.

(11 Feb 2015, 6:01 pm)Malarkey I quite regularly use the 8 between Sunderland and Washington due to how quick it gets from A to B compared to the 2/2A, But getting back on topic I personally think Employers across the Region need to be educated on Public Transport, as there bound to have people coming from here there and everywhere for a Job, got to also question whereabouts they are travelling from to get to work.

Organisations such as Valley Links (think that is the name), try and promote alternative modes of transport to the car. Maybe there needs to be more done.

I have been racking my brains and thinking back to when I was in your situation and relying on public transport and I am pretty sure the question was asked, but this was based on working outside normal 9-5 hrs - for instance dealing with deliveries and was aimed at finding out how flexible I could be.
Living half an hour away and relying on a half hourly bus service, would not have given the employer the flexibility they may have needed or wanted at the time.

Of course, I told them about public transport and how the folks could drive and drop me off if needed. Obviously the folks had no idea I had volunteered them for taxi duties, but it gave me the upper hand to those relying on the bus.

Malarkey

11 Feb 2015, 10:42 pm #12
(11 Feb 2015, 10:20 pm)Andreos1 At the risk of going off topic - research will have been done, loads (according to Dan) were good when it first started. So the question needs to be asked as to why loads tailed off.

My older Brother works for Convergys and they promote Employees Cycling to Work, out of that they paid Half of what my Brothers Bike cost due an Initive they set up with Halfords, I am aware others elsewhere, a few of which you have mentioned Andreos1.

I also have a Bike but it needs repairing, so that would give me an Advantage if I was to get a Job in the Washington Area, as for Buses I have an excellent Service which gets me around the most of Washington, again its the same for Newcastle/Sunderland and Durham, I just have the issue of Employers not giving me a Job due to using the Bus and thinking I live Miles away.

I am going to have a sit down with my Ingeus Advisor on Friday to see if there is anything we can do, probably not but hey-ho something will come eventually.
Malarkey
11 Feb 2015, 10:42 pm #12

(11 Feb 2015, 10:20 pm)Andreos1 At the risk of going off topic - research will have been done, loads (according to Dan) were good when it first started. So the question needs to be asked as to why loads tailed off.

My older Brother works for Convergys and they promote Employees Cycling to Work, out of that they paid Half of what my Brothers Bike cost due an Initive they set up with Halfords, I am aware others elsewhere, a few of which you have mentioned Andreos1.

I also have a Bike but it needs repairing, so that would give me an Advantage if I was to get a Job in the Washington Area, as for Buses I have an excellent Service which gets me around the most of Washington, again its the same for Newcastle/Sunderland and Durham, I just have the issue of Employers not giving me a Job due to using the Bus and thinking I live Miles away.

I am going to have a sit down with my Ingeus Advisor on Friday to see if there is anything we can do, probably not but hey-ho something will come eventually.

Andreos1

11 Feb 2015, 10:47 pm #13
(11 Feb 2015, 10:42 pm)Malarkey My older Brother works for Convergys and they promote Employees Cycling to Work, out of that they paid Half of what my Brothers Bike cost due an Initive they set up with Halfords, I am aware others elsewhere, a few of which you have mentioned Andreos1.

About 10 years back, Nissan took on a load of Polish lads.
The agency contracted to look after them, sorted out cheap rented accommodation in Sulgrave and bikes. Money was deducted out of their wages, but the lads got to and from work without an issue.

Hopefully (whether you travel there via bike, bus or shanks pony), you get something sorted soon.

Andreos1
11 Feb 2015, 10:47 pm #13

(11 Feb 2015, 10:42 pm)Malarkey My older Brother works for Convergys and they promote Employees Cycling to Work, out of that they paid Half of what my Brothers Bike cost due an Initive they set up with Halfords, I am aware others elsewhere, a few of which you have mentioned Andreos1.

About 10 years back, Nissan took on a load of Polish lads.
The agency contracted to look after them, sorted out cheap rented accommodation in Sulgrave and bikes. Money was deducted out of their wages, but the lads got to and from work without an issue.

Hopefully (whether you travel there via bike, bus or shanks pony), you get something sorted soon.

gtom

Banned

12 Feb 2015, 12:13 am #14
It always bemuses me why GNE insist on their Facebook and journey planner to send people from Birtley and Chester to Gateshead to get to Team Valley (outside of 937)

Why don't they offer the option of a 21 to Aletaster and a 94 from there. Cuts journey time in half
gtom
12 Feb 2015, 12:13 am #14

It always bemuses me why GNE insist on their Facebook and journey planner to send people from Birtley and Chester to Gateshead to get to Team Valley (outside of 937)

Why don't they offer the option of a 21 to Aletaster and a 94 from there. Cuts journey time in half

Dan

Site Administrator

12 Feb 2015, 6:17 am #15
(12 Feb 2015, 12:13 am)gtom It always bemuses me why GNE insist on their Facebook and journey planner to send people from Birtley and Chester to Gateshead to get to Team Valley (outside of 937)

It may be linked to the fact Go North East uses their own Journey Planner and/or Traveline's facility.

It ensures you have a connection time of at least five minutes if I remember rightly, and often adds unrealistic walking times (at least compared to how quickly I walk). If the 21 pulls in just as the 94 is about to leave, then it would be another 15 minutes wait.
Dan
12 Feb 2015, 6:17 am #15

(12 Feb 2015, 12:13 am)gtom It always bemuses me why GNE insist on their Facebook and journey planner to send people from Birtley and Chester to Gateshead to get to Team Valley (outside of 937)

It may be linked to the fact Go North East uses their own Journey Planner and/or Traveline's facility.

It ensures you have a connection time of at least five minutes if I remember rightly, and often adds unrealistic walking times (at least compared to how quickly I walk). If the 21 pulls in just as the 94 is about to leave, then it would be another 15 minutes wait.

MurdnunoC

12 Feb 2015, 1:50 pm #16

I have been asked about my mode(s) of transport twice whilst in interviews. 

The first was for a job behind a bar in The Black Horse in Barlow. The second was for a job at some place at Team Valley. One required an early start while the other had late finishes. Both interviews occurred long before I could drive so I was reliant on public transport. I was rejected from one based upon the fact there was no public transport available even though it was within walking distance (about 30-40 mins).

Also, when people apply to work for Royal Mail, one of the screening questions is about how you would travel to work.

I can understand why employers feel that transport is important. Although I felt aggrieved when the interviewer dismissed my assertions that I'd be able to get to/from work, I think, in a similar situation, I'd also have my doubts and look for someone with their own transport. Not saying its right but I guess, as an employer, you'd have to take into account the practicalities of whether someone can get to work - or if they'd be able to cover shifts at short notice.
Edited 12 Feb 2015, 2:00 pm by MurdnunoC.
MurdnunoC
12 Feb 2015, 1:50 pm #16

I have been asked about my mode(s) of transport twice whilst in interviews. 

The first was for a job behind a bar in The Black Horse in Barlow. The second was for a job at some place at Team Valley. One required an early start while the other had late finishes. Both interviews occurred long before I could drive so I was reliant on public transport. I was rejected from one based upon the fact there was no public transport available even though it was within walking distance (about 30-40 mins).

Also, when people apply to work for Royal Mail, one of the screening questions is about how you would travel to work.

I can understand why employers feel that transport is important. Although I felt aggrieved when the interviewer dismissed my assertions that I'd be able to get to/from work, I think, in a similar situation, I'd also have my doubts and look for someone with their own transport. Not saying its right but I guess, as an employer, you'd have to take into account the practicalities of whether someone can get to work - or if they'd be able to cover shifts at short notice.

Andreos1

10 Aug 2022, 9:28 am #17
Just to spin this thread on its head completely.

Public transport operators and their understanding of employers/employees.
Do they understand?

Andreos1
10 Aug 2022, 9:28 am #17

Just to spin this thread on its head completely.

Public transport operators and their understanding of employers/employees.
Do they understand?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average