Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Bank Holiday Services

Bank Holiday Services

Bank Holiday Services

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (16): 1 2 316 Next
06 Apr 2015, 12:41 pm #1
Just noticed this on the GNE facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/simplyGNE/posts...0441795710
Go North East
16 mins ·
We are experiencing severe delays across our network. We are currently working to resolve this to limit the inconvenience to you.
---

Will this be to do with the extra traffic with it being Easter Monday? Or some other cause?

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
northern156
06 Apr 2015, 12:41 pm #1

Just noticed this on the GNE facebook:

Go North East
16 mins ·
We are experiencing severe delays across our network. We are currently working to resolve this to limit the inconvenience to you.
---

Will this be to do with the extra traffic with it being Easter Monday? Or some other cause?

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]

Michael

06 Apr 2015, 12:47 pm #2
(06 Apr 2015, 12:41 pm)northern156 Just noticed this on the GNE facebook:

Go North East
16 mins ·
---

Probs due to it being nice and a bank holiday, oh and Sunday service.

28 and 78A is currently suffering delays due to heavy traffic around Beamish... 28 also not serving the main entrance.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
06 Apr 2015, 12:47 pm #2

(06 Apr 2015, 12:41 pm)northern156 Just noticed this on the GNE facebook:

Go North East
16 mins ·
---

Probs due to it being nice and a bank holiday, oh and Sunday service.

28 and 78A is currently suffering delays due to heavy traffic around Beamish... 28 also not serving the main entrance.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Adrian

06 Apr 2015, 12:50 pm #3
Demand being a lot higher than the level of service offered?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
06 Apr 2015, 12:50 pm #3

Demand being a lot higher than the level of service offered?

Adrian

06 Apr 2015, 12:59 pm #4
@StagecoachNE
SS Ops: Due to passenger demand and traffic issues in Seaburn most E svc are experiencing delays of up to 10 mins.
12:31pm · 6 Apr 2015 · Hootsuite

@StagecoachNE
Sun Ops: Slight delays on most services throughout the city due to passenger demand. Thank you for your patience.
12:23pm · 6 Apr 2015 · Hootsuite

More examples of the demand being greater than service offered? There's got to be a point where someone questions the forecasting...

Adrian
06 Apr 2015, 12:59 pm #4

@StagecoachNE
SS Ops: Due to passenger demand and traffic issues in Seaburn most E svc are experiencing delays of up to 10 mins.

@StagecoachNE
Sun Ops: Slight delays on most services throughout the city due to passenger demand. Thank you for your patience.

More examples of the demand being greater than service offered? There's got to be a point where someone questions the forecasting...

Tom

06 Apr 2015, 1:19 pm #5
(06 Apr 2015, 12:50 pm)aureolin Demand being a lot higher than the level of service offered?

Definitely.
Not GNE bus saw a 308 earlier and it was full to bursting, also running about 20 minutes late.  
Tom
06 Apr 2015, 1:19 pm #5

(06 Apr 2015, 12:50 pm)aureolin Demand being a lot higher than the level of service offered?

Definitely.
Not GNE bus saw a 308 earlier and it was full to bursting, also running about 20 minutes late.  

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

06 Apr 2015, 1:31 pm #6
Where do I start...

Arriva running between 20-40 mins late in both directions, Gypsies and there horses at Easington, the already late 22 got held up by at least 30 horses at Easington Colliery...

The old lady who kept asking me at Dalton Park about her bus to Peterlee, I have the Arriva App on my phone, so I was able to waste me battery telling her...My 61 was 40 minutes late.

To top it off the Air Con on 5322 was not working, if you want to shed a few pound in a sauna get on 5322 on a hot day...I am absolutely lathered, lol
MrFozz
06 Apr 2015, 1:31 pm #6

Where do I start...

Arriva running between 20-40 mins late in both directions, Gypsies and there horses at Easington, the already late 22 got held up by at least 30 horses at Easington Colliery...

The old lady who kept asking me at Dalton Park about her bus to Peterlee, I have the Arriva App on my phone, so I was able to waste me battery telling her...My 61 was 40 minutes late.

To top it off the Air Con on 5322 was not working, if you want to shed a few pound in a sauna get on 5322 on a hot day...I am absolutely lathered, lol

DanPicken

Banned

06 Apr 2015, 1:41 pm #7
Would be much worse if the derby was today with all this traffic.
DanPicken
06 Apr 2015, 1:41 pm #7

Would be much worse if the derby was today with all this traffic.

G-CPTN

06 Apr 2015, 3:08 pm #8
On Sundays and Bank Holidays we have two buses from Corbridge to Hexham - these are ten minutes apart and they return 'immediately'.
Normally I can get the (earlier) GNE TEN with enough time to grab milk from Fore Street then catch the Arriva '85' back, but, today, the 'two o'clock' TEN was running ten minutes late with the Arriva 85 immediately behind it (which then overtook the TEN).

Net result was that I missed the 85 from Hexham and had to wait an hour for the TEN.

Frequently I manage to get the timing right, but today GNE scuppered me.

This is not a complaint, as no doubt the traffic from Newcastle through the Metrocentre, Blaydon and Prudhoe was what caused the lateness.

What does 'annoy' me, though, is the timing of the only two buses that run on Sundays and BHs means that if you miss one then chances are you miss both.

I did, however 'catch' the AD122:-

[Image: IMGP3667_zps6zdknbep.jpg]

The destination blind read Haltwhistle Station IIRC.
Edited 06 Apr 2015, 3:22 pm by G-CPTN.
Attached Files
.jpg
IMGP3667.JPG
Size: 3.94 MB / Downloads: 21
G-CPTN
06 Apr 2015, 3:08 pm #8

On Sundays and Bank Holidays we have two buses from Corbridge to Hexham - these are ten minutes apart and they return 'immediately'.
Normally I can get the (earlier) GNE TEN with enough time to grab milk from Fore Street then catch the Arriva '85' back, but, today, the 'two o'clock' TEN was running ten minutes late with the Arriva 85 immediately behind it (which then overtook the TEN).

Net result was that I missed the 85 from Hexham and had to wait an hour for the TEN.

Frequently I manage to get the timing right, but today GNE scuppered me.

This is not a complaint, as no doubt the traffic from Newcastle through the Metrocentre, Blaydon and Prudhoe was what caused the lateness.

What does 'annoy' me, though, is the timing of the only two buses that run on Sundays and BHs means that if you miss one then chances are you miss both.

I did, however 'catch' the AD122:-

[Image: IMGP3667_zps6zdknbep.jpg]

The destination blind read Haltwhistle Station IIRC.

Attached Files
.jpg
IMGP3667.JPG
Size: 3.94 MB / Downloads: 21

roar

06 Apr 2015, 4:19 pm #9
(06 Apr 2015, 12:59 pm)aureolin @StagecoachNE

@StagecoachNE

Trouble is the demand is unpredictable. If it had been raining today then you would have seen no problems. To be fair Seaburn is a bit of a nightmare with the current redevelopment that is going on, you cant get two vehicles passed each other at the Marriot Hotel and you need traffic to stop in both directions to turn out of Dyklands Road.

Stagecoach is providing 11 buses an hour between Sunderland and Seaburn with today's Sunday service.

E1 for example, just under 11 route miles and 42 minute trip time, standard scheduling at around 16mph and a driver has no chance of keeping to time. 
Edited 06 Apr 2015, 4:21 pm by roar.
roar
06 Apr 2015, 4:19 pm #9

(06 Apr 2015, 12:59 pm)aureolin @StagecoachNE

@StagecoachNE

Trouble is the demand is unpredictable. If it had been raining today then you would have seen no problems. To be fair Seaburn is a bit of a nightmare with the current redevelopment that is going on, you cant get two vehicles passed each other at the Marriot Hotel and you need traffic to stop in both directions to turn out of Dyklands Road.

Stagecoach is providing 11 buses an hour between Sunderland and Seaburn with today's Sunday service.

E1 for example, just under 11 route miles and 42 minute trip time, standard scheduling at around 16mph and a driver has no chance of keeping to time. 

Adrian

06 Apr 2015, 4:30 pm #10
(06 Apr 2015, 4:19 pm)roar Trouble is the demand is unpredictable. If it had been raining today then you would have seen no problems. To be fair Seaburn is a bit of a nightmare with the current redevelopment that is going on, you cant get two vehicles passed each other at the Marriot Hotel and you need traffic to stop in both directions to turn out of Dyklands Road.

With exception of Xmas Day, New Years Day and Easter Sunday, I'd argue that the volumes wanting to travel on a bank holiday do not differ much from a Saturday. You might get a lot more wanting to travel to the coast on a nice day like today, but to be fair, you're going to get that on any other day too. Rain wouldn't have stopped people wanting to travel to city centres, to the Metrocentre, and anywhere else they can have a day out. 

The last few bank holidays that I've travelled out on have been chaos. Not for traffic levels and congestion, but simply for the amount of people wanting to travel on the same bus, because the frequency doesn't meet the demand. That's the same across Tyne and Wear. Not just one operator.

Adrian
06 Apr 2015, 4:30 pm #10

(06 Apr 2015, 4:19 pm)roar Trouble is the demand is unpredictable. If it had been raining today then you would have seen no problems. To be fair Seaburn is a bit of a nightmare with the current redevelopment that is going on, you cant get two vehicles passed each other at the Marriot Hotel and you need traffic to stop in both directions to turn out of Dyklands Road.

With exception of Xmas Day, New Years Day and Easter Sunday, I'd argue that the volumes wanting to travel on a bank holiday do not differ much from a Saturday. You might get a lot more wanting to travel to the coast on a nice day like today, but to be fair, you're going to get that on any other day too. Rain wouldn't have stopped people wanting to travel to city centres, to the Metrocentre, and anywhere else they can have a day out. 

The last few bank holidays that I've travelled out on have been chaos. Not for traffic levels and congestion, but simply for the amount of people wanting to travel on the same bus, because the frequency doesn't meet the demand. That's the same across Tyne and Wear. Not just one operator.

L469 YVK

06 Apr 2015, 4:49 pm #11
(06 Apr 2015, 1:21 pm)citaro5284 Just gone through Whitley Bay and it is gridlocked with traffic...no wonder coastal services are operating late. 

Can't really just say it's Arriva though:
- 309 / 310 running badly late
- 45 or 46 at Metro Centre before had a busfull
L469 YVK
06 Apr 2015, 4:49 pm #11

(06 Apr 2015, 1:21 pm)citaro5284 Just gone through Whitley Bay and it is gridlocked with traffic...no wonder coastal services are operating late. 

Can't really just say it's Arriva though:
- 309 / 310 running badly late
- 45 or 46 at Metro Centre before had a busfull

roar

06 Apr 2015, 5:21 pm #12
(06 Apr 2015, 4:30 pm)aureolin With exception of Xmas Day, New Years Day and Easter Sunday, I'd argue that the volumes wanting to travel on a bank holiday do not differ much from a Saturday. You might get a lot more wanting to travel to the coast on a nice day like today, but to be fair, you're going to get that on any other day too. Rain wouldn't have stopped people wanting to travel to city centres, to the Metrocentre, and anywhere else they can have a day out. 

You might be surprised how bus drivers love a cold wet day, outside of the peaks passenger numbers drop by about 30%. This big drop is usually in ENCTS holders, the majority of which is not necessary travel.  

The trouble with day out travelers on Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays is its tidal flow so you take a full bus one way and bring nothing back until later in the day. Through my experience that's why the vast amount of services that have been tried over the years to the likes of the MetroCentre have failed. Now you could say the likes of GNE or Stagecoach are missing a trick there, run something from say Cleveland and instead of it sitting in the coach park all day or taking fresh air back then back to take your passengers home it could be used on extra services on the X66 or 100, unfortunately we have allowed to many into the industry that have no flare or dedication with having no experience of how anything can run.   
roar
06 Apr 2015, 5:21 pm #12

(06 Apr 2015, 4:30 pm)aureolin With exception of Xmas Day, New Years Day and Easter Sunday, I'd argue that the volumes wanting to travel on a bank holiday do not differ much from a Saturday. You might get a lot more wanting to travel to the coast on a nice day like today, but to be fair, you're going to get that on any other day too. Rain wouldn't have stopped people wanting to travel to city centres, to the Metrocentre, and anywhere else they can have a day out. 

You might be surprised how bus drivers love a cold wet day, outside of the peaks passenger numbers drop by about 30%. This big drop is usually in ENCTS holders, the majority of which is not necessary travel.  

The trouble with day out travelers on Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays is its tidal flow so you take a full bus one way and bring nothing back until later in the day. Through my experience that's why the vast amount of services that have been tried over the years to the likes of the MetroCentre have failed. Now you could say the likes of GNE or Stagecoach are missing a trick there, run something from say Cleveland and instead of it sitting in the coach park all day or taking fresh air back then back to take your passengers home it could be used on extra services on the X66 or 100, unfortunately we have allowed to many into the industry that have no flare or dedication with having no experience of how anything can run.   

RM2186

06 Apr 2015, 6:24 pm #13

My wife and I decided the dog needed a Bank Holiday too so we caught the Metro to Whitley Bay today and it was exactly as Citaro 5284 said, bumper to bumper. We caught a 1 back to Gateshead and our poor driver, having been decent enough to stop for a running woman with buggy and one other small monster berated him for being 15 mins early! The driver explained that he was actually running very late but our lovely mother type didn't bother to thank him for stopping or being in the wrong. Oh, the joys of being a driver!
Edited 06 Apr 2015, 6:25 pm by RM2186.
RM2186
06 Apr 2015, 6:24 pm #13

My wife and I decided the dog needed a Bank Holiday too so we caught the Metro to Whitley Bay today and it was exactly as Citaro 5284 said, bumper to bumper. We caught a 1 back to Gateshead and our poor driver, having been decent enough to stop for a running woman with buggy and one other small monster berated him for being 15 mins early! The driver explained that he was actually running very late but our lovely mother type didn't bother to thank him for stopping or being in the wrong. Oh, the joys of being a driver!

LeeCalder

06 Apr 2015, 6:52 pm #14
The 82 is now beyond a joke! On 4 separate occasions today it has been over 15 mins late
LeeCalder
06 Apr 2015, 6:52 pm #14

The 82 is now beyond a joke! On 4 separate occasions today it has been over 15 mins late

06 Apr 2015, 6:53 pm #15
(06 Apr 2015, 6:52 pm)leestransportphotos The 82 is now beyond a joke! On 4 separate occasions today it has been over 15 mins late

May I have a rant at you for no reason please?  Big Grin
omnicity4659
06 Apr 2015, 6:53 pm #15

(06 Apr 2015, 6:52 pm)leestransportphotos The 82 is now beyond a joke! On 4 separate occasions today it has been over 15 mins late

May I have a rant at you for no reason please?  Big Grin

mb134

06 Apr 2015, 7:01 pm #16

Operating Sunday service on Bank Holidays is the joke...
mb134
06 Apr 2015, 7:01 pm #16

Operating Sunday service on Bank Holidays is the joke...

L469 YVK

06 Apr 2015, 7:22 pm #17
This is what it should be like for a BH service and here is some examples for the daytime for GNE:
- 309 every 20 minutes from Newcastle to Blyth.
- 310 every 20 minutes from Newcastle to N/Shields.
- 21 every 10 minutes to CLS continuing every 20 mins to Durham extending hourly to Bishop Auckland.
- 4 every 10 minutes to Fallowfield Way continuing every 20 mins to Houghton-Le-Spring.
- 56 every 15 minutes from Sunderland to Newcastle.
- TEN group of services operating normal Saturday timetable and routes.
- X1 every 15 minutes from Easington Lane to Newcastle.
- Red Kites and Diamonds operating Saturday timetable.
- 27 operating every 15 minutes between S/Shields and Newcastle.
- Coaster every 15 minutes from Whitley Bay to Gateshead and continuing hourly to Kibblesworth and hourly to Wrekenton.
- X66 operating to Saturday timetable.
- 58 operating to Saturday timetable.

Any more to think of?
L469 YVK
06 Apr 2015, 7:22 pm #17

This is what it should be like for a BH service and here is some examples for the daytime for GNE:
- 21 every 10 minutes to CLS continuing every 20 mins to Durham extending hourly to Bishop Auckland.
- 4 every 10 minutes to Fallowfield Way continuing every 20 mins to Houghton-Le-Spring.
- Coaster every 15 minutes from Whitley Bay to Gateshead and continuing hourly to Kibblesworth and hourly to Wrekenton.

Any more to think of?

Adrian

06 Apr 2015, 7:31 pm #18
(06 Apr 2015, 7:22 pm)DaveyBowyer This is what it should be like for a BH service and here is some examples for the daytime for GNE:

Any more to think of?

It should be a Saturday service. Why overcomplicate it?

Adrian
06 Apr 2015, 7:31 pm #18

(06 Apr 2015, 7:22 pm)DaveyBowyer This is what it should be like for a BH service and here is some examples for the daytime for GNE:

Any more to think of?

It should be a Saturday service. Why overcomplicate it?

park5354

06 Apr 2015, 7:34 pm #19

Any more to think of?
Blaydon Racer should run Saturday times, but 49B replaced by 49C.

Loop 93/94 need Saturday running times per trip (but keep 30 min service)
Edited 06 Apr 2015, 7:37 pm by park5354.
park5354
06 Apr 2015, 7:34 pm #19

Any more to think of?
Blaydon Racer should run Saturday times, but 49B replaced by 49C.

Loop 93/94 need Saturday running times per trip (but keep 30 min service)

G-CPTN

06 Apr 2015, 7:36 pm #20
There were 40+ passengers from Hexham on the 15:23 TEN today.

There were also at least 20 waiting at Hexham for the 15:27 Arriva 85 to arrive.
Edited 06 Apr 2015, 7:38 pm by G-CPTN.
G-CPTN
06 Apr 2015, 7:36 pm #20

There were 40+ passengers from Hexham on the 15:23 TEN today.

There were also at least 20 waiting at Hexham for the 15:27 Arriva 85 to arrive.

Pages (16): 1 2 316 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average