Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Wrightbus

Wrightbus

Wrightbus

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (7): Previous 1 2 37 Next
Dan

Site Administrator

16 Dec 2018, 4:02 pm #21
Wrightbus lands orders from Hong Kong for 200 buses:
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/busin...89325.html

Some of the first examples of this type now appear to be on delivery to KMB - AR505 and AR506 pictured here at Heysham Docks yesterday:

[Image: 31400615667_7f976ea307.jpg]Heysham Docks: 2x Unidentified Volvo B8L/Wright Eclipse Gemini 3 by Daniel Graham, on Flickr
Dan
16 Dec 2018, 4:02 pm #21

Wrightbus lands orders from Hong Kong for 200 buses:

Some of the first examples of this type now appear to be on delivery to KMB - AR505 and AR506 pictured here at Heysham Docks yesterday:

[Image: 31400615667_7f976ea307.jpg]Heysham Docks: 2x Unidentified Volvo B8L/Wright Eclipse Gemini 3 by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

Malarkey

16 Dec 2018, 8:55 pm #22
(16 Dec 2018, 4:02 pm)Dan Wrightbus lands orders from Hong Kong for 200 buses:

Should get some of these for the 21!
Malarkey
16 Dec 2018, 8:55 pm #22

(16 Dec 2018, 4:02 pm)Dan Wrightbus lands orders from Hong Kong for 200 buses:

Should get some of these for the 21!

BusLoverMum

24 Sep 2019, 8:48 pm #23
So, the administrators are being called in. Quite a blow if nothing can be salvaged of the company.

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-bus-mak...n-11818680
BusLoverMum
24 Sep 2019, 8:48 pm #23

So, the administrators are being called in. Quite a blow if nothing can be salvaged of the company.

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-bus-mak...n-11818680

James101

24 Sep 2019, 9:18 pm #24

(24 Sep 2019, 8:48 pm)BusLoverMum So, the administrators are being called in. Quite a blow if nothing can be salvaged of the company. https://news.sky.com/story/boris-bus-mak...n-11818680

An interesting article on the mash up of company finances and personal interests which may explain the struggle to find a buyer:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/11753...07648.html

.jpeg
0BFBB1AD-7D89-401F-AD3A-CD6C6853D4B0.jpeg
Size: 241.25 KB / Downloads: 18

The Evangelical Trust mentioned being the one he founded himself with lofty ambitions of creating a 90 acre village in Ballymena. £ Millions donated from Wright to this cause in years they were making losses. All the while Wright were paying £1.5m rent on land valued at just £3m. Land owned by, of course, Paster Jeff Wright.

God works in mysterious ways.

James101
24 Sep 2019, 9:18 pm #24

(24 Sep 2019, 8:48 pm)BusLoverMum So, the administrators are being called in. Quite a blow if nothing can be salvaged of the company. https://news.sky.com/story/boris-bus-mak...n-11818680

An interesting article on the mash up of company finances and personal interests which may explain the struggle to find a buyer:

.jpeg
0BFBB1AD-7D89-401F-AD3A-CD6C6853D4B0.jpeg
Size: 241.25 KB / Downloads: 18

The Evangelical Trust mentioned being the one he founded himself with lofty ambitions of creating a 90 acre village in Ballymena. £ Millions donated from Wright to this cause in years they were making losses. All the while Wright were paying £1.5m rent on land valued at just £3m. Land owned by, of course, Paster Jeff Wright.

BusLoverMum

24 Sep 2019, 9:51 pm #25

(24 Sep 2019, 9:18 pm)James101

Blimey. Rather a lot for the administrators to untangle, some of it sounding more than a wee bit fishy.

BusLoverMum
24 Sep 2019, 9:51 pm #25

(24 Sep 2019, 9:18 pm)James101

Blimey. Rather a lot for the administrators to untangle, some of it sounding more than a wee bit fishy.

25 Sep 2019, 10:21 am #26
Looks like they've officially gone into administration.

I wonder what will happen with the order now
streetdeckfan
25 Sep 2019, 10:21 am #26

Looks like they've officially gone into administration.

I wonder what will happen with the order now

25 Sep 2019, 12:41 pm #27
Apparently the whole workforce has been made redundant. Chances of GNE getting those Streetdecks are getting slimmer

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/busin...33187.html
streetdeckfan
25 Sep 2019, 12:41 pm #27

Apparently the whole workforce has been made redundant. Chances of GNE getting those Streetdecks are getting slimmer

Andreos1

25 Sep 2019, 1:44 pm #28

(25 Sep 2019, 12:41 pm)streetdeckfan Apparently the whole workforce has been made redundant. Chances of GNE getting those Streetdecks are getting slimmer

They're talking of nationalisation and as much as I would love to see it (for many reasons), I cant see this government doing that.

If they survive (as I said yesterday), I think it will be through a management buyout.

Northern Ireland's manufacturing economy is really struggling at the moment. This is the last thing it needs.

The knock on effect could be huge and felt massively as far away as the docks in Heysham.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
25 Sep 2019, 1:44 pm #28

(25 Sep 2019, 12:41 pm)streetdeckfan Apparently the whole workforce has been made redundant. Chances of GNE getting those Streetdecks are getting slimmer

They're talking of nationalisation and as much as I would love to see it (for many reasons), I cant see this government doing that.

If they survive (as I said yesterday), I think it will be through a management buyout.

Northern Ireland's manufacturing economy is really struggling at the moment. This is the last thing it needs.

The knock on effect could be huge and felt massively as far away as the docks in Heysham.

25 Sep 2019, 2:19 pm #29

(25 Sep 2019, 1:44 pm)Andreos1

I honestly think this is the end for Wrightbus, at least as it is now.

After doing a bit more research and seeing what has came up in the news after this, I wouldn't touch it.

The fact that they made a £4 million donation to a charity run by the owner's son which caused them to make a loss of nearly £2 million.

The same son also happens to own the land and factory, which Wrightbus rent for £1.5 million a year.

It all smells of tax evasion and fraud to me.

streetdeckfan
25 Sep 2019, 2:19 pm #29

After doing a bit more research and seeing what has came up in the news after this, I wouldn't touch it.

The fact that they made a £4 million donation to a charity run by the owner's son which caused them to make a loss of nearly £2 million.

The same son also happens to own the land and factory, which Wrightbus rent for £1.5 million a year.

Andreos1

25 Sep 2019, 2:32 pm #30

(25 Sep 2019, 2:19 pm)streetdeckfan

Thing is, all the designs, all the kit etc are worth something to someone.

Even after MCW went to the wall, their adapted designs were being pumped out.

If the price is attractive and a profit can be made, people will be interested in buying - even if it is just certain assets.

Thinking out loud, I'm sure Northern Counties had similar issues. No idea if there had been any religious dealings on their part!

Andreos1
25 Sep 2019, 2:32 pm #30

If the price is attractive and a profit can be made, people will be interested in buying - even if it is just certain assets.

Thinking out loud, I'm sure Northern Counties had similar issues. No idea if there had been any religious dealings on their part!

25 Sep 2019, 2:38 pm #31

(25 Sep 2019, 2:32 pm)Andreos1

That's why I said I don't think it'll be saved as it is now.

If someone could get it for a good price, find a new factory close by and just move everything over, they could certainly bring it back to profit.

The more I read into it, the less I think the money issues were caused by low sales. It definitely looks to me like all the money was being sucked out of it by it's owners in order to get money to build a new village and a massive church!

In my experience, most cynical view is often the correct one

streetdeckfan
25 Sep 2019, 2:38 pm #31

(25 Sep 2019, 2:32 pm)Andreos1

If someone could get it for a good price, find a new factory close by and just move everything over, they could certainly bring it back to profit.

The more I read into it, the less I think the money issues were caused by low sales. It definitely looks to me like all the money was being sucked out of it by it's owners in order to get money to build a new village and a massive church!

James101

25 Sep 2019, 2:42 pm #32

M

Founder’s son, Jeff Wright. The founder (Jeff’s father) now has/had no shareholding in Wrightbus Paster Jeff has/had majority control over Wrightbus, it’s parent company, the property company charging disproportionate rent and the founder of Greener Pastures Church.

It’s fair to say Jeff Wright likes having money, but wasn’t particularly interested in the business of building buses.

Suppliers will be preferential creditors over customers, that’s if there isn’t already charges over remaining assets of Wrightbus. As it stands GNE have little chance of seeing either the buses or deposits paid so far and if/when Wrightbus ceases to exist they have no chance.

Any company picking up pieces of Wrightbus would have no obligation to fulfil outstanding orders.

James101
25 Sep 2019, 2:42 pm #32

M

Founder’s son, Jeff Wright. The founder (Jeff’s father) now has/had no shareholding in Wrightbus Paster Jeff has/had majority control over Wrightbus, it’s parent company, the property company charging disproportionate rent and the founder of Greener Pastures Church.

It’s fair to say Jeff Wright likes having money, but wasn’t particularly interested in the business of building buses.

Suppliers will be preferential creditors over customers, that’s if there isn’t already charges over remaining assets of Wrightbus. As it stands GNE have little chance of seeing either the buses or deposits paid so far and if/when Wrightbus ceases to exist they have no chance.

Any company picking up pieces of Wrightbus would have no obligation to fulfil outstanding orders.

25 Sep 2019, 2:48 pm #33

(25 Sep 2019, 2:42 pm)James101

M

Well, it's worse than I thought then!

I'd imagine that considering the Streetdecks were due to arrive September/October time, they'll be pretty much done now, so maybe GNE will be able to pick them up cheap when the assets get sold off (assuming a buyer isn't found)

streetdeckfan
25 Sep 2019, 2:48 pm #33

(25 Sep 2019, 2:42 pm)James101

M

Well, it's worse than I thought then!

I'd imagine that considering the Streetdecks were due to arrive September/October time, they'll be pretty much done now, so maybe GNE will be able to pick them up cheap when the assets get sold off (assuming a buyer isn't found)

Andreos1

25 Sep 2019, 2:56 pm #34

(25 Sep 2019, 2:38 pm)streetdeckfan

Let's see if the authorities agree with you.

If they don't or theres no substance to your self confessed cynical comments, then at least they know where a massive fan of the Wrightbus deckers likes to hang-out Wink

Seriously though, I'm not sure the factory needs to be too near by. I've always thought it strange it has survived so long in a competitive market - stuck out on a limb like it is.

The markets in Northern and Republic of Ireland are hardly the biggest!

Mind, saying that Scarborough and Falkirk are hardly on the cusp of their major customers doorsteps...

Andreos1
25 Sep 2019, 2:56 pm #34

(25 Sep 2019, 2:38 pm)streetdeckfan

If they don't or theres no substance to your self confessed cynical comments, then at least they know where a massive fan of the Wrightbus deckers likes to hang-out Wink

Seriously though, I'm not sure the factory needs to be too near by. I've always thought it strange it has survived so long in a competitive market - stuck out on a limb like it is.

Mind, saying that Scarborough and Falkirk are hardly on the cusp of their major customers doorsteps...

25 Sep 2019, 3:02 pm #35

(25 Sep 2019, 2:56 pm)Andreos1

If they don't or theres no substance to your self confessed cynical comments, then at least they know where a massive fan of the Wrightbus deckers likes to hang-out Wink" alt="Wink" title="Wink">

I'm a fan of their bus, not the company! If ADL actually made a good double decker, I'd like them as well!

I was thinking purely in terms of moving around all the production equipment, the less distance they have to move it, the less the cost will be. Especially since it would have to be taken by water to move anywhere near anything!

streetdeckfan
25 Sep 2019, 3:02 pm #35

(25 Sep 2019, 2:56 pm)Andreos1

If they don't or theres no substance to your self confessed cynical comments, then at least they know where a massive fan of the Wrightbus deckers likes to hang-out Wink" alt="Wink" title="Wink">

I'm a fan of their bus, not the company! If ADL actually made a good double decker, I'd like them as well!

I was thinking purely in terms of moving around all the production equipment, the less distance they have to move it, the less the cost will be. Especially since it would have to be taken by water to move anywhere near anything!

BusLoverMum

25 Sep 2019, 3:12 pm #36

Yep. A company like this going under affects the whole supply and distribution chain and could potentially hurt anyone who has an order with them as they simply become creditors, like anyone else, and customers as creditors come pretty low in the rankings as far as administrators are concerned. Horrifying to consider that each of those streetdecks costs about the same as my house (and I no longer live in a cheap part of the county!)

BusLoverMum
25 Sep 2019, 3:12 pm #36

Yep. A company like this going under affects the whole supply and distribution chain and could potentially hurt anyone who has an order with them as they simply become creditors, like anyone else, and customers as creditors come pretty low in the rankings as far as administrators are concerned. Horrifying to consider that each of those streetdecks costs about the same as my house (and I no longer live in a cheap part of the county!)

25 Sep 2019, 3:18 pm #37

(25 Sep 2019, 3:12 pm)BusLoverMum

Considering the cost of a StreetDeck is around £250k, and GNE have 31 on order, that's just shy of £8 million that GNE have spent with them.

I assume that they haven't given them the full amount yet since they haven't been delivered yet, but I'd imagine the deposit would be a pretty penny too!

A StreetDeck costs over 5 times what we paid for my house, that's the reason I like living in the cheap part of the country Wink

streetdeckfan
25 Sep 2019, 3:18 pm #37

(25 Sep 2019, 3:12 pm)BusLoverMum

Considering the cost of a StreetDeck is around £250k, and GNE have 31 on order, that's just shy of £8 million that GNE have spent with them.

I assume that they haven't given them the full amount yet since they haven't been delivered yet, but I'd imagine the deposit would be a pretty penny too!

A StreetDeck costs over 5 times what we paid for my house, that's the reason I like living in the cheap part of the country Wink

Andreos1

25 Sep 2019, 4:09 pm #38

(25 Sep 2019, 3:02 pm)streetdeckfan

You could be right in that there's less cost to shift the tools and equipment about.

Still got the huge transport and shipping costs though.

Do they take a one off hit and move manufacturing to the mainland or closer to the docks over there, or mitigate the short-term costs of staying in Ballymena by continuing to face the shipping costs?

Sure the financial experts analysing any such move, will take all of that in to account if/when something comes of it.

Andreos1
25 Sep 2019, 4:09 pm #38

(25 Sep 2019, 3:02 pm)streetdeckfan

You could be right in that there's less cost to shift the tools and equipment about.

Do they take a one off hit and move manufacturing to the mainland or closer to the docks over there, or mitigate the short-term costs of staying in Ballymena by continuing to face the shipping costs?

Sure the financial experts analysing any such move, will take all of that in to account if/when something comes of it.

25 Sep 2019, 4:23 pm #39

(25 Sep 2019, 4:09 pm)Andreos1

I'm sure there will be huge financial incentives to stay in Ballymena for anyone that buys them, probably in the form of tax breaks.

It looks like Martijn has chimed in on the matter on Twitter with regards still getting the StreetDecks delivered

https://twitter.com/MartijnGNE/status/11...5223237635

We hope so. It’s early days of this ‘new’ news. Hopefully the Administrators will be able to find a buyer.

To me this suggests that they knew about this earlier, but to be honest, we could all see the writing on the wall (pun very much intended).

I'm really starting to wonder if this is why they branched out to ADL for the 97 and X30

streetdeckfan
25 Sep 2019, 4:23 pm #39

(25 Sep 2019, 4:09 pm)Andreos1

I'm sure there will be huge financial incentives to stay in Ballymena for anyone that buys them, probably in the form of tax breaks.

It looks like Martijn has chimed in on the matter on Twitter with regards still getting the StreetDecks delivered

We hope so. It’s early days of this ‘new’ news. Hopefully the Administrators will be able to find a buyer.

To me this suggests that they knew about this earlier, but to be honest, we could all see the writing on the wall (pun very much intended).

I'm really starting to wonder if this is why they branched out to ADL for the 97 and X30

BusLoverMum

25 Sep 2019, 4:47 pm #40
A rather interesting, if lengthy, article that's dropped into my Google feed

https://www.londonreconnections.com/2019...istration/

(25 Sep 2019, 4:23 pm)streetdeckfan

They first sought help a few months ago. I that sense it's not new news, but the fact that the help hasn't arrived is new news.

Edited 25 Sep 2019, 4:49 pm by BusLoverMum.
BusLoverMum
25 Sep 2019, 4:47 pm #40

A rather interesting, if lengthy, article that's dropped into my Google feed

https://www.londonreconnections.com/2019...istration/

(25 Sep 2019, 4:23 pm)streetdeckfan

They first sought help a few months ago. I that sense it's not new news, but the fact that the help hasn't arrived is new news.

Pages (7): Previous 1 2 37 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average