Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Reversing the decline in passenger numbers

Reversing the decline in passenger numbers

Reversing the decline in passenger numbers

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pages (29) Previous 126 27 28 29 Next
MurdnunoC

29 Oct 2023, 3:51 pm #521
(29 Oct 2023, 3:40 pm)Andreos1 What other things (within their own control) can they do go encourage growth, other than looking at the network and seeing what people actually want/need?

I never said that looking at the network isn't necessary, my question is once you change the network to suit what people indicate they want; and they still reject the bus in favour of the car (which is private, warm, reliable, there on-demand, takes you from door to door and allows for route deviations to obtain your shopping or whatever), what do you do then?

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk
MurdnunoC
29 Oct 2023, 3:51 pm #521

(29 Oct 2023, 3:40 pm)Andreos1 What other things (within their own control) can they do go encourage growth, other than looking at the network and seeing what people actually want/need?

I never said that looking at the network isn't necessary, my question is once you change the network to suit what people indicate they want; and they still reject the bus in favour of the car (which is private, warm, reliable, there on-demand, takes you from door to door and allows for route deviations to obtain your shopping or whatever), what do you do then?

Andreos1

29 Oct 2023, 4:03 pm #522
(29 Oct 2023, 3:51 pm)MurdnunoC I never said that looking at the network isn't necessary, my question is once you change the network to suit what people indicate they want; and they still reject the bus in favour of the car (which is private, warm, reliable, there on-demand, takes you from door to door and allows for route deviations to obtain your shopping or whatever), what do you do then?

Look in the mirror and sleep tight knowing you at least tried to grow the network and used all the options available to you. 

As opposed to the current mob, who don't use all the options available to them.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
29 Oct 2023, 4:03 pm #522

(29 Oct 2023, 3:51 pm)MurdnunoC I never said that looking at the network isn't necessary, my question is once you change the network to suit what people indicate they want; and they still reject the bus in favour of the car (which is private, warm, reliable, there on-demand, takes you from door to door and allows for route deviations to obtain your shopping or whatever), what do you do then?

Look in the mirror and sleep tight knowing you at least tried to grow the network and used all the options available to you. 

Unber43

29 Oct 2023, 4:10 pm #523
(29 Oct 2023, 4:03 pm)Andreos1 Look in the mirror and sleep tight knowing you at least tried to grow the network and used all the options available to you. 

Didn't GNE try? After the Sept 2021 changes the network for for a large part ideal.
Unber43
29 Oct 2023, 4:10 pm #523

(29 Oct 2023, 4:03 pm)Andreos1 Look in the mirror and sleep tight knowing you at least tried to grow the network and used all the options available to you. 

Didn't GNE try? After the Sept 2021 changes the network for for a large part ideal.

Andreos1

29 Oct 2023, 4:11 pm #524
(29 Oct 2023, 4:10 pm)Unber43 Didn't GNE try? After the Sept 2021 changes the network for for a large part ideal.

Not sure what you mean? 
All I've tended to see is a stagnant network that looks pretty much the same as the map in Beamish.

Andreos1
29 Oct 2023, 4:11 pm #524

(29 Oct 2023, 4:10 pm)Unber43 Didn't GNE try? After the Sept 2021 changes the network for for a large part ideal.

Not sure what you mean? 
All I've tended to see is a stagnant network that looks pretty much the same as the map in Beamish.

Unber43

29 Oct 2023, 5:11 pm #525
(29 Oct 2023, 4:11 pm)Andreos1 Not sure what you mean? 
After Sept 2021 GNE network was the best it was in years, and that didnt work, so they need to go back to the drawing board, but they need to reinvent areas while keeping key flashsip routes while added routes around them to try and bolster the network whcih could cause the flagships to reduce frequncies. 

Like the 28/29 I wonder if an extension to Waldridge may be appropriate. Personally I quite like the hub and spoke model but that involves timing/the frequencys to be right, like if you wanted to go to Penshaw from NEwcaslte you used to miss the 2/2A on the X1 by about 3 mins, so it was either 27 min and leave newcastle early. Or X10, after 4/5pm the Purples dont run
Unber43
29 Oct 2023, 5:11 pm #525

(29 Oct 2023, 4:11 pm)Andreos1 Not sure what you mean? 
After Sept 2021 GNE network was the best it was in years, and that didnt work, so they need to go back to the drawing board, but they need to reinvent areas while keeping key flashsip routes while added routes around them to try and bolster the network whcih could cause the flagships to reduce frequncies. 

Like the 28/29 I wonder if an extension to Waldridge may be appropriate. Personally I quite like the hub and spoke model but that involves timing/the frequencys to be right, like if you wanted to go to Penshaw from NEwcaslte you used to miss the 2/2A on the X1 by about 3 mins, so it was either 27 min and leave newcastle early. Or X10, after 4/5pm the Purples dont run

Adrian

29 Oct 2023, 6:14 pm #526
I've noticed in one of the community groups I'm in on Facebook, there's a load of people now arranging car shares with other people that live locally and happen to work in the same vicinity. I wonder how many of these arrangements will continue post-strike action, if it's mutually convenient?

Another threat to long-term passenger numbers for when GNE services return.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
29 Oct 2023, 6:14 pm #526

I've noticed in one of the community groups I'm in on Facebook, there's a load of people now arranging car shares with other people that live locally and happen to work in the same vicinity. I wonder how many of these arrangements will continue post-strike action, if it's mutually convenient?

Another threat to long-term passenger numbers for when GNE services return.

MurdnunoC

29 Oct 2023, 9:18 pm #527
(29 Oct 2023, 5:11 pm)Unber43 After Sept 2021 GNE network was the best it was in years, and that didnt work, so they need to go back to the drawing board, but they need to reinvent areas while keeping key flashsip routes while added routes around them to try and bolster the network whcih could cause the flagships to reduce frequncies. 

The problem with hub and spoke models is that people tend to forget that hubs and spokes are there to support an even bigger structure: the wheel.

Hubs and spokes alone are pointless on their lonesome. You need things at the top of the spokes to make the model work more effectively. So, for example, having Durham and Consett at the end of the spokes is a bit pointless if one has to travel to Newcastle in order to get from one to the other whereas having the direct link between Durham and Consett makes the wheel (or network) work as it should. 

Now, obviously there is a link between Consett and Durham in the form of the X5/X15 (and to a lesser extent, the 16), but there are examples where that link is almost non-existent. 

For example, in the GNE dominated area of Derwentside, the villages of Rowlands Gill and Burnopfield lie approximately one mile from each other. Now, there is a limited link between the two villages in the form of the R5, but it only runs between 0900 and 1600 Mon-Sat (I think) which means if one wishes to travel outside of those times across a relatively short distance, it would involve either walking (about 20-30 mins depending on fitness), or getting on a bus to Metrocentre (about 10-15 minutes), then getting the bus from Metrocentre to Burnopfield (about 30 minutes). And that's two buses you need. So travelling down the spoke to the hub, then from the hub back up a neighbouring spoke, not only costs you more money, but also time.

Of course, if you had a car, the journey takes less than 5 minutes, so why use the bus at all? 

This is where, I think, the hub and spoke model largely fails as communities which should be connected by public transport links become isolated from one another.
MurdnunoC
29 Oct 2023, 9:18 pm #527

(29 Oct 2023, 5:11 pm)Unber43 After Sept 2021 GNE network was the best it was in years, and that didnt work, so they need to go back to the drawing board, but they need to reinvent areas while keeping key flashsip routes while added routes around them to try and bolster the network whcih could cause the flagships to reduce frequncies. 

The problem with hub and spoke models is that people tend to forget that hubs and spokes are there to support an even bigger structure: the wheel.

Hubs and spokes alone are pointless on their lonesome. You need things at the top of the spokes to make the model work more effectively. So, for example, having Durham and Consett at the end of the spokes is a bit pointless if one has to travel to Newcastle in order to get from one to the other whereas having the direct link between Durham and Consett makes the wheel (or network) work as it should. 

Now, obviously there is a link between Consett and Durham in the form of the X5/X15 (and to a lesser extent, the 16), but there are examples where that link is almost non-existent. 

For example, in the GNE dominated area of Derwentside, the villages of Rowlands Gill and Burnopfield lie approximately one mile from each other. Now, there is a limited link between the two villages in the form of the R5, but it only runs between 0900 and 1600 Mon-Sat (I think) which means if one wishes to travel outside of those times across a relatively short distance, it would involve either walking (about 20-30 mins depending on fitness), or getting on a bus to Metrocentre (about 10-15 minutes), then getting the bus from Metrocentre to Burnopfield (about 30 minutes). And that's two buses you need. So travelling down the spoke to the hub, then from the hub back up a neighbouring spoke, not only costs you more money, but also time.

Of course, if you had a car, the journey takes less than 5 minutes, so why use the bus at all? 

This is where, I think, the hub and spoke model largely fails as communities which should be connected by public transport links become isolated from one another.

Andreos1

30 Oct 2023, 9:32 am #528
(29 Oct 2023, 9:18 pm)MurdnunoC The problem with hub and spoke models is that people tend to forget that hubs and spokes are there to support an even bigger structure: the wheel.

I was trying to picture the GNE network as Hub & Spoke and all I kept imagining, was this:     

If anyone can actually do some work or an illustration to give a rough idea of what the network looks like, I'm sure it would be appreciated by many on here.

Andreos1
30 Oct 2023, 9:32 am #528

(29 Oct 2023, 9:18 pm)MurdnunoC The problem with hub and spoke models is that people tend to forget that hubs and spokes are there to support an even bigger structure: the wheel.

I was trying to picture the GNE network as Hub & Spoke and all I kept imagining, was this:     

If anyone can actually do some work or an illustration to give a rough idea of what the network looks like, I'm sure it would be appreciated by many on here.

MurdnunoC

30 Oct 2023, 9:54 am #529
(30 Oct 2023, 9:32 am)Andreos1 I was trying to picture the GNE network as Hub & Spoke and all I kept imagining, was this: 

There are probably similar examples across the networks of Stagecoach and Arriva too. 

One that immediately springs to mind, which also touches upon your favourite criticism of bus companies not being more proactive in creating links between new housing developments and out-of-town shopping centres, is that there is no direct bus between Scotswood/Denton Burn/Slatyford and Kingston Park.  

This link has existed in the past. When TWOC (Tyne and Wear Omnibus Company, for those who don't know) was encroaching upon the business of Busways, the TWOC duplication of the 1 was extended from Slatyford, up Binswood Avenie and Sunnyway into Blakelaw then onto Kingston Park. I'm pretty sure the Busways 1 was extended shortly afterwards.  In later years, Scotswood had the 17 which continued towards Kingston Park.

To me, these are the links bus companies should be re-evaluating, rather than giving a token service to an new estate on the edge of town where residents are probably not purchasing properties on the strength of the local bus services.
MurdnunoC
30 Oct 2023, 9:54 am #529

(30 Oct 2023, 9:32 am)Andreos1 I was trying to picture the GNE network as Hub & Spoke and all I kept imagining, was this: 

There are probably similar examples across the networks of Stagecoach and Arriva too. 

One that immediately springs to mind, which also touches upon your favourite criticism of bus companies not being more proactive in creating links between new housing developments and out-of-town shopping centres, is that there is no direct bus between Scotswood/Denton Burn/Slatyford and Kingston Park.  

This link has existed in the past. When TWOC (Tyne and Wear Omnibus Company, for those who don't know) was encroaching upon the business of Busways, the TWOC duplication of the 1 was extended from Slatyford, up Binswood Avenie and Sunnyway into Blakelaw then onto Kingston Park. I'm pretty sure the Busways 1 was extended shortly afterwards.  In later years, Scotswood had the 17 which continued towards Kingston Park.

To me, these are the links bus companies should be re-evaluating, rather than giving a token service to an new estate on the edge of town where residents are probably not purchasing properties on the strength of the local bus services.

Andreos1

30 Oct 2023, 10:04 am #530
(30 Oct 2023, 9:54 am)MurdnunoC There are probably similar examples across the networks of Stagecoach and Arriva too. 

I 100% agree. 
It's not just the new housing developments that need to be factored in to any redesign of the network. 

Suggested something similar in the SNE suggestions thread.

If there's a boat-load of congestion or road improvement schemes, there's scope to improve the public transport network imo.
Whatever is there, is clearly not working. Or, there's nothing there at all and there needs to be.

Andreos1
30 Oct 2023, 10:04 am #530

(30 Oct 2023, 9:54 am)MurdnunoC There are probably similar examples across the networks of Stagecoach and Arriva too. 

I 100% agree. 
It's not just the new housing developments that need to be factored in to any redesign of the network. 

Suggested something similar in the SNE suggestions thread.

If there's a boat-load of congestion or road improvement schemes, there's scope to improve the public transport network imo.
Whatever is there, is clearly not working. Or, there's nothing there at all and there needs to be.

Storx

30 Oct 2023, 10:24 am #531

It's a problem with the whole North East this and ironically it's a problem in London aswell.

There is a real problem with transport which goes around places. Everything is designed that everyone wants to go to Sunderland, Newcastle or Gateshead centre but if you actually want to commute around the outside it's near impossible without a detour.

For the hub and spoke map someone mentioned here you go, coloured routes being pretty much the only routes 'going around'. The red arrow corridors are near impossible to commute currently, and it's not as if there's no reason to be doing them as the red dots are arguably the major employment sites in Tyne and Wear.

Not ironic that arrows pretty much follow the corridor of the A1 and A19 aswell, the two busiest roads in the area.
Storx
30 Oct 2023, 10:24 am #531

It's a problem with the whole North East this and ironically it's a problem in London aswell.

There is a real problem with transport which goes around places. Everything is designed that everyone wants to go to Sunderland, Newcastle or Gateshead centre but if you actually want to commute around the outside it's near impossible without a detour.

For the hub and spoke map someone mentioned here you go, coloured routes being pretty much the only routes 'going around'. The red arrow corridors are near impossible to commute currently, and it's not as if there's no reason to be doing them as the red dots are arguably the major employment sites in Tyne and Wear.

Not ironic that arrows pretty much follow the corridor of the A1 and A19 aswell, the two busiest roads in the area.

Andreos1

30 Oct 2023, 11:05 am #532
(30 Oct 2023, 10:24 am)Storx It's a problem with the whole North East this and ironically it's a problem in London aswell.

You're a good un. 

Fancy doing one for County Durham?

It's absolutely crazy that there's not an operator able to or capable of joining the dots here.

Andreos1
30 Oct 2023, 11:05 am #532

(30 Oct 2023, 10:24 am)Storx It's a problem with the whole North East this and ironically it's a problem in London aswell.

You're a good un. 

It's absolutely crazy that there's not an operator able to or capable of joining the dots here.

Storx

30 Oct 2023, 11:12 am #533
(30 Oct 2023, 11:05 am)Andreos1 You're a good un. 

I tried there first and gave up, completely lost track of which way the Consett and Washington routes go nowadays as they've changed so much so it ended up looking like some got angry and scribbled lines all over the place Rolleyes .

Reason I omitted Washington and Houghton aswell ngl.
Storx
30 Oct 2023, 11:12 am #533

(30 Oct 2023, 11:05 am)Andreos1 You're a good un. 

I tried there first and gave up, completely lost track of which way the Consett and Washington routes go nowadays as they've changed so much so it ended up looking like some got angry and scribbled lines all over the place Rolleyes .

Ambassador

30 Oct 2023, 11:13 am #534
That map is really interesting and does reinforce the issues .

I'm doing some work on Colleague Commutes at the moment and we have some backup emergency sites (that we normally use for power or data loss etc) that we've activated for colleagues in the area to use down at Team Valley around Kingsway North during the strikes and also it's handily placed around our annual testing.

What was quite stark is that unless you stick to the workers services which don't really work around modern shift patterns, it's quicker to commute via bus to Newcastle from Birtley than it is to Kingsway North - you're looking roughly at 30 mins for the former and anywhere between 35-52 minutes for the Valley commute

A journey of around 3 miles that can be made by car in 8 minutes to one of the major employee centres in the region

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
30 Oct 2023, 11:13 am #534

That map is really interesting and does reinforce the issues .

I'm doing some work on Colleague Commutes at the moment and we have some backup emergency sites (that we normally use for power or data loss etc) that we've activated for colleagues in the area to use down at Team Valley around Kingsway North during the strikes and also it's handily placed around our annual testing.

What was quite stark is that unless you stick to the workers services which don't really work around modern shift patterns, it's quicker to commute via bus to Newcastle from Birtley than it is to Kingsway North - you're looking roughly at 30 mins for the former and anywhere between 35-52 minutes for the Valley commute

A journey of around 3 miles that can be made by car in 8 minutes to one of the major employee centres in the region

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

Andreos1

30 Oct 2023, 11:15 am #535
(30 Oct 2023, 11:12 am)Storx I tried there first and gave up, completely lost track of which way the Consett and Washington routes go nowadays as they've changed so much so it ended up looking like some got angry and scribbled lines all over the place Rolleyes . 

Isn't that what the commercial teams actually do?

(30 Oct 2023, 11:13 am)Ambassador That map is really interesting and does reinforce the issues .

It baffles me. It really does. And it's not the only example. There are many, many more.
Edited 30 Oct 2023, 11:18 am by Andreos1.

Andreos1
30 Oct 2023, 11:15 am #535

(30 Oct 2023, 11:12 am)Storx I tried there first and gave up, completely lost track of which way the Consett and Washington routes go nowadays as they've changed so much so it ended up looking like some got angry and scribbled lines all over the place Rolleyes . 

Isn't that what the commercial teams actually do?

(30 Oct 2023, 11:13 am)Ambassador That map is really interesting and does reinforce the issues .

It baffles me. It really does. And it's not the only example. There are many, many more.

Storx

30 Oct 2023, 11:29 am #536

Aye it's bonkers, the Tyne Tunnel heading towards Cobalt where I think you's are based is just as bad.

imo there badly needs to be four round the town services let's call them super loops, because why not, which are:

SL1: Cramlington - Great Park - Kingston Park (M) - some areas in the West End - Metro Centre
SL2: Metro Centre (NR) - Dunston - Team Valley - Birtley - Washington
SL3: Northumberland Park (M/NR) - Cobalt - Silverlink - Percy Main (M) - Jarrow (M) - Fellgate (M) - Boldon Colliery (ASDA)
SL4: Boldon Colliery (ASDA) - Hylton / Castletown - Pennywell - Farringdon - Doxford Park - Seaham (NR)

You could combine SL1/SL2 and SL3/SL4 but they'd be rather long.

Do I think they'll make millions of pounds, no but if you really want a 'hub and spoke' network then they're really needed. Would change things big time as it links the main hubs up so say if someone does need to go to Nissan from Percy Main they've now got an easy choice to change to the 50 at Boldon Colliery or if someone needs to go to Team Valley from Ryton they can change at the Metro Centre etc and pretty much all the routes heading towards Newcastle hit them somewhere.
Storx
30 Oct 2023, 11:29 am #536

Aye it's bonkers, the Tyne Tunnel heading towards Cobalt where I think you's are based is just as bad.

imo there badly needs to be four round the town services let's call them super loops, because why not, which are:

SL1: Cramlington - Great Park - Kingston Park (M) - some areas in the West End - Metro Centre
SL2: Metro Centre (NR) - Dunston - Team Valley - Birtley - Washington
SL3: Northumberland Park (M/NR) - Cobalt - Silverlink - Percy Main (M) - Jarrow (M) - Fellgate (M) - Boldon Colliery (ASDA)
SL4: Boldon Colliery (ASDA) - Hylton / Castletown - Pennywell - Farringdon - Doxford Park - Seaham (NR)

You could combine SL1/SL2 and SL3/SL4 but they'd be rather long.

Do I think they'll make millions of pounds, no but if you really want a 'hub and spoke' network then they're really needed. Would change things big time as it links the main hubs up so say if someone does need to go to Nissan from Percy Main they've now got an easy choice to change to the 50 at Boldon Colliery or if someone needs to go to Team Valley from Ryton they can change at the Metro Centre etc and pretty much all the routes heading towards Newcastle hit them somewhere.

Adrian

30 Oct 2023, 11:37 am #537

Here's a rough sketch of the 50 route:

Adrian
30 Oct 2023, 11:37 am #537

Here's a rough sketch of the 50 route:

MurdnunoC

30 Oct 2023, 11:37 am #538
And because of my natural proclivity to provide a historical perspective. Here are some maps covering Newcastle and Gateshead from 1981 and 1986 respectively

(Re-edited because the images sent from Tapatalk weren't the best)
MurdnunoC
30 Oct 2023, 11:37 am #538

And because of my natural proclivity to provide a historical perspective. Here are some maps covering Newcastle and Gateshead from 1981 and 1986 respectively

Storx

30 Oct 2023, 11:43 am #539
(30 Oct 2023, 11:37 am)Adrian Here's a rough sketch of the 50 route:

Ha, the 2/2A, 8 and 50 were ironically the 3 that actually made me give up as they bounce on top of each other all over the place so it just looked like I had a new hobby of colouring in the streets of Washington. Totally illogical routing when trying to map it.

Then decided to go for individual colours and started at Consett and that looked like I was scribbling again with the extensions across to Shotley Bridge and Castleside.
Storx
30 Oct 2023, 11:43 am #539

(30 Oct 2023, 11:37 am)Adrian Here's a rough sketch of the 50 route:

Ha, the 2/2A, 8 and 50 were ironically the 3 that actually made me give up as they bounce on top of each other all over the place so it just looked like I had a new hobby of colouring in the streets of Washington. Totally illogical routing when trying to map it.

Then decided to go for individual colours and started at Consett and that looked like I was scribbling again with the extensions across to Shotley Bridge and Castleside.

Andreos1

30 Oct 2023, 12:32 pm #540
(30 Oct 2023, 11:37 am)MurdnunoC And because of my natural proclivity to provide a historical perspective. Here are some maps covering Newcastle and Gateshead from 1981 and 1986 respectively

What's that 777 route? Can't remember that mind. 
Aware the PTE maps weren't always the most accurate, but that's a new one on me.

Andreos1
30 Oct 2023, 12:32 pm #540

(30 Oct 2023, 11:37 am)MurdnunoC And because of my natural proclivity to provide a historical perspective. Here are some maps covering Newcastle and Gateshead from 1981 and 1986 respectively

What's that 777 route? Can't remember that mind. 
Aware the PTE maps weren't always the most accurate, but that's a new one on me.

Pages (29) Previous 126 27 28 29 Next

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average