Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Reversing the decline in passenger numbers

Reversing the decline in passenger numbers

Reversing the decline in passenger numbers

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (29) Previous 1 2 3 429 Next
Tamesider

01 Feb 2019, 9:19 pm #41
(01 Feb 2019, 12:38 am)James101 I dare say Metrolink abstraction from bus ridership will continue for years to come, if the GM Transport Plan is realised. For summarise for anyone that's not seen it - the plan is to turn every lamppost in Greater Manchester into a tram stop. The counter argument to your concern Metrolink stops are less accessible than bus stops would be the greater appeal of trams over buses. It's been proven time over that passengers will walk further from their origin to reach a tram than they would tolerate walking to a bus stop. Of course there is a legitimate concern about passengers with mobility restrictions, in this situation I think the fairest use of resources is a limited mini-bus or local-link feeder service into Metrolink. 

The expansion of Metrolink seems to be the best way to please the majority of the people. Public transport passengers may have to walk a but further, but they get a more consistent (if not always faster) journey time to the city. This can be achieved with less visible impact to the road network for the motorist, keeping that lobby happy. I'd love to see greater bus priority in the city, but realistically what can be done?

I think Stagecoach can see this coming and this is demonstrated by the recent 168/150 changes. They're trying to remove the necessity for a city centre change (and a temptation to switch to tram over the X50) from the east of GM to Trafford on this new direct route before Metrolink Trafford Park opens, to hell with the local links provided by the previous set-up.

Triumph of style over substance and power of lobbies to damage the lives of those that don't conform if ever I saw it. 
More particularly, I suspect you have a much stricter definition of "mobility restrictions" than I have. 

There are so many reports and strategies floating around at the moment. There seems to be GM transport for Strategy for both 2037 & 2040 as well as a new one detailing things in 5 year stages. Then there is Bus Reform, CleanAir, Spatial Framework etc. Besides, how much would all this Metrolink expansion cost (financially?) Only this evening the MEN remind us that the Trafford Centre extension alluded to will cost over £100 million a mile.
Tamesider
01 Feb 2019, 9:19 pm #41

(01 Feb 2019, 12:38 am)James101 I dare say Metrolink abstraction from bus ridership will continue for years to come, if the GM Transport Plan is realised. For summarise for anyone that's not seen it - the plan is to turn every lamppost in Greater Manchester into a tram stop. The counter argument to your concern Metrolink stops are less accessible than bus stops would be the greater appeal of trams over buses. It's been proven time over that passengers will walk further from their origin to reach a tram than they would tolerate walking to a bus stop. Of course there is a legitimate concern about passengers with mobility restrictions, in this situation I think the fairest use of resources is a limited mini-bus or local-link feeder service into Metrolink. 

The expansion of Metrolink seems to be the best way to please the majority of the people. Public transport passengers may have to walk a but further, but they get a more consistent (if not always faster) journey time to the city. This can be achieved with less visible impact to the road network for the motorist, keeping that lobby happy. I'd love to see greater bus priority in the city, but realistically what can be done?

I think Stagecoach can see this coming and this is demonstrated by the recent 168/150 changes. They're trying to remove the necessity for a city centre change (and a temptation to switch to tram over the X50) from the east of GM to Trafford on this new direct route before Metrolink Trafford Park opens, to hell with the local links provided by the previous set-up.

Triumph of style over substance and power of lobbies to damage the lives of those that don't conform if ever I saw it. 
More particularly, I suspect you have a much stricter definition of "mobility restrictions" than I have. 

There are so many reports and strategies floating around at the moment. There seems to be GM transport for Strategy for both 2037 & 2040 as well as a new one detailing things in 5 year stages. Then there is Bus Reform, CleanAir, Spatial Framework etc. Besides, how much would all this Metrolink expansion cost (financially?) Only this evening the MEN remind us that the Trafford Centre extension alluded to will cost over £100 million a mile.

Tamesider

03 Feb 2019, 6:24 pm #42
(01 Feb 2019, 12:38 am)James101 It's been proven time over that passengers will walk further from their origin to reach a tram than they would tolerate walking to a bus stop. Of course there is a legitimate concern about passengers with mobility restrictions, in this situation I think the fairest use of resources is a limited mini-bus or local-link feeder service into Metrolink. 

> Have you got evidence for this? Specifically, in low car ownership areas, or is this "proof" based on middle income, physically fit, 21-35 year olds travelling in areas that get the most political/media attention?

> I would also question this - both from the point of view of the public transport user and the tax-payer in general. Metrolink is nowhere near as popular with the GM public as is painted and if you dig beneath the headlines made by the most populist and vociferous of (mainly Labour) politicians, the "quieter" MPs are also concerned that it is being seen as a panacea. It won't surprise you to know that I don't use Metrolink; except occasionally within the city centre (using a Rail ticket). Based on those journeys, I'm not convinced they do get a more consistent journey time. If that was the case, why aren't trams across the city much more evenly spaced and why is RTI usually wildly optimistic?
As for "bus priority..n the city". Again, you would need to be more specific. What form of bus priority, and (yawn) where do you mean by "in the city"? 

> The 168/150 change is weird. Yes, intu want better bus services for their staff, especially, and this might slightly help there. However, the idea of removing the necessity of changing contradicts not only the argument for multi-modal integration itself, but the fact that its one of the few things GMBOA & GMCA supposedly agree on. "On paper", the 150 is slower than X50/201* at all times of day, based
on Stagecoach's own Journey Planner. There is then the question of vehicle type and routing. Again, the "perception" argument is being thrown at me all the time, but the 150 is 70, 80 or even 90 minutes winding your way through less than scenic south Manchester wheras the X50 is Limited Stop on does feel like it in comparison to virtually every other Stagecoach Manchester service. Obviously, Hyde Road in general is not fast in any way, shape or form, but the 150 covers the slowest, most frustrating section of the corridor. 
Perhaps the strangest thing of all, is indeed the decision to run the 150 all the way to Hyde, costing 2 peak buses compared to terminating in Gorton (a bit unweildy, but 168/9 shorts have done it in the recent past). Maintaining headways on long established, hevavily loaded, Hyde Road services seemingly hasn't justified 2 PVR in the last decade or two. Similarly, and more pertinently, the 7 which has supposedly been "enhanced" to slightly mitigate headway/capacity between Droylsden and Gorton. Yes, two am peak round trips have been introduced, but nothing has been done in the afternoon where (incl. Sats)  the 7 has been reduced from a straight 30 minute service to a dog's breakfast of a 40/50 minute service. There was also a suggestion that the service would be converted to 100% decker operation - aided by the transfer of three E400s to Stockport depot - but the only pm peak journey I've come across was the usual E200, running 10 mins late on Friday when earlier Snow/Ice had meant many motorists not going to work and so lighter than normal peak traffic.

*201 is generally every 10 minutes running parallel with 150 from Hyde through Denton to Gorton and on to Piccadilly (Portland Street). Other services have shorter parallel sections.
Edited 03 Feb 2019, 8:48 pm by Tamesider.
Tamesider
03 Feb 2019, 6:24 pm #42

(01 Feb 2019, 12:38 am)James101 It's been proven time over that passengers will walk further from their origin to reach a tram than they would tolerate walking to a bus stop. Of course there is a legitimate concern about passengers with mobility restrictions, in this situation I think the fairest use of resources is a limited mini-bus or local-link feeder service into Metrolink. 

> Have you got evidence for this? Specifically, in low car ownership areas, or is this "proof" based on middle income, physically fit, 21-35 year olds travelling in areas that get the most political/media attention?

> I would also question this - both from the point of view of the public transport user and the tax-payer in general. Metrolink is nowhere near as popular with the GM public as is painted and if you dig beneath the headlines made by the most populist and vociferous of (mainly Labour) politicians, the "quieter" MPs are also concerned that it is being seen as a panacea. It won't surprise you to know that I don't use Metrolink; except occasionally within the city centre (using a Rail ticket). Based on those journeys, I'm not convinced they do get a more consistent journey time. If that was the case, why aren't trams across the city much more evenly spaced and why is RTI usually wildly optimistic?
As for "bus priority..n the city". Again, you would need to be more specific. What form of bus priority, and (yawn) where do you mean by "in the city"? 

> The 168/150 change is weird. Yes, intu want better bus services for their staff, especially, and this might slightly help there. However, the idea of removing the necessity of changing contradicts not only the argument for multi-modal integration itself, but the fact that its one of the few things GMBOA & GMCA supposedly agree on. "On paper", the 150 is slower than X50/201* at all times of day, based
on Stagecoach's own Journey Planner. There is then the question of vehicle type and routing. Again, the "perception" argument is being thrown at me all the time, but the 150 is 70, 80 or even 90 minutes winding your way through less than scenic south Manchester wheras the X50 is Limited Stop on does feel like it in comparison to virtually every other Stagecoach Manchester service. Obviously, Hyde Road in general is not fast in any way, shape or form, but the 150 covers the slowest, most frustrating section of the corridor. 
Perhaps the strangest thing of all, is indeed the decision to run the 150 all the way to Hyde, costing 2 peak buses compared to terminating in Gorton (a bit unweildy, but 168/9 shorts have done it in the recent past). Maintaining headways on long established, hevavily loaded, Hyde Road services seemingly hasn't justified 2 PVR in the last decade or two. Similarly, and more pertinently, the 7 which has supposedly been "enhanced" to slightly mitigate headway/capacity between Droylsden and Gorton. Yes, two am peak round trips have been introduced, but nothing has been done in the afternoon where (incl. Sats)  the 7 has been reduced from a straight 30 minute service to a dog's breakfast of a 40/50 minute service. There was also a suggestion that the service would be converted to 100% decker operation - aided by the transfer of three E400s to Stockport depot - but the only pm peak journey I've come across was the usual E200, running 10 mins late on Friday when earlier Snow/Ice had meant many motorists not going to work and so lighter than normal peak traffic.

*201 is generally every 10 minutes running parallel with 150 from Hyde through Denton to Gorton and on to Piccadilly (Portland Street). Other services have shorter parallel sections.

Andreos1

06 Feb 2019, 1:57 pm #43
Check out @LonTravelWatch’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/LonTravelWatch/statu...57792?s=09

Interesting hashtag to watch/follow.
It's as though making things attractive for passengers (old, new and potential) is something that hasn't been at the forefront before.
'Blue sky thinking' and all that jazz.

'remove barriers and make bus travel attractive'. 
Works for me!

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
06 Feb 2019, 1:57 pm #43

Check out @LonTravelWatch’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/LonTravelWatch/statu...57792?s=09

Interesting hashtag to watch/follow.
It's as though making things attractive for passengers (old, new and potential) is something that hasn't been at the forefront before.
'Blue sky thinking' and all that jazz.

'remove barriers and make bus travel attractive'. 
Works for me!

Andreos1

28 Feb 2019, 2:08 pm #44
Check out @TASPartnership’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/TASPartnership/statu...36449?s=09

An interesting tweet and discussion. 
Nothing to counter the actual savings made when reducing fuel costs, obtaining handouts (*checks out if eezypeazy is lurking in the background*) and boasting about how they're saving on insurance costs.

Nice of them to acknowledge that fare increases can reduce the number of bums on seats though and that obviously means more cars on the road, which leads to delays and an extra bus being fitted in to the pvr and fares increasing and extra cars on the road and...
Edited 28 Feb 2019, 2:11 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
28 Feb 2019, 2:08 pm #44

Check out @TASPartnership’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/TASPartnership/statu...36449?s=09

Nothing to counter the actual savings made when reducing fuel costs, obtaining handouts (*checks out if eezypeazy is lurking in the background*) and boasting about how they're saving on insurance costs.

Nice of them to acknowledge that fare increases can reduce the number of bums on seats though and that obviously means more cars on the road, which leads to delays and an extra bus being fitted in to the pvr and fares increasing and extra cars on the road and...

Tamesider

28 Feb 2019, 8:44 pm #45
(28 Feb 2019, 2:08 pm)Andreos1 Check out @TASPartnership’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/TASPartnership/statu...36449?s=09

All very well but it doesn't explain why fare rises are much lower on routes getting more resources and the Operator then whingeing that that is one of the routes hit by the worst congestion?
Tamesider
28 Feb 2019, 8:44 pm #45

(28 Feb 2019, 2:08 pm)Andreos1 Check out @TASPartnership’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/TASPartnership/statu...36449?s=09

All very well but it doesn't explain why fare rises are much lower on routes getting more resources and the Operator then whingeing that that is one of the routes hit by the worst congestion?

Andreos1

04 Sep 2019, 8:59 am #46

https://www.transportfocus.org.uk/resear...ple-think/

Young passengers think services are designed for them, older passengers are being priced out of the market due to ever increasing fares... Where will it end?

Andreos1
04 Sep 2019, 8:59 am #46

Young passengers think services are designed for them, older passengers are being priced out of the market due to ever increasing fares... Where will it end?

04 Sep 2019, 1:57 pm #47

(04 Sep 2019, 8:59 am)Andreos1

The thing is, a lot of the new things that have been introduced are what older people think young people want. For instance, the new 5 to 25 fares that they have introduced, making the monthly ticket app only means I won't use it. If I'm going to be paying £70 a month, I don't want to have to buy another ticket when my battery dies and I cant load the app up. They seem to think that we want everything to be on our phones, but the issue with that is, phones can only be used a limited amount on a charge, and if literally everything relies on a phone, it isn't going to last as long. It's all well and good having charging points on the bus, but if I have to have battery on my phone to get on the bus, they're useless (unless of course the driver is kind enough to let you on and charge your phone for a bit before showing them your ticket. Which has happened to me a couple times when the GNE app crashes)

Then of course there is the point they bring up about quality of buses. One of the reasons I absolutely hate travelling Arriva is because the buses are shocking, especially in Durham. There seems to be absolutely no consistency to the allocations.

Plus, in my experience at least, GNE drivers are far nicer than Arriva's. Most of the Arriva drivers seem miserable (as you would be if you worked for Arriva!). And I've been on a fair few Arriva buses where the driver can barely speak or understand English. That isn't to say I don't want foreign drivers, but they should at least be able to speak the language fluently!

streetdeckfan
04 Sep 2019, 1:57 pm #47

(04 Sep 2019, 8:59 am)Andreos1

The thing is, a lot of the new things that have been introduced are what older people think young people want. For instance, the new 5 to 25 fares that they have introduced, making the monthly ticket app only means I won't use it. If I'm going to be paying £70 a month, I don't want to have to buy another ticket when my battery dies and I cant load the app up. They seem to think that we want everything to be on our phones, but the issue with that is, phones can only be used a limited amount on a charge, and if literally everything relies on a phone, it isn't going to last as long. It's all well and good having charging points on the bus, but if I have to have battery on my phone to get on the bus, they're useless (unless of course the driver is kind enough to let you on and charge your phone for a bit before showing them your ticket. Which has happened to me a couple times when the GNE app crashes)

Then of course there is the point they bring up about quality of buses. One of the reasons I absolutely hate travelling Arriva is because the buses are shocking, especially in Durham. There seems to be absolutely no consistency to the allocations.

Plus, in my experience at least, GNE drivers are far nicer than Arriva's. Most of the Arriva drivers seem miserable (as you would be if you worked for Arriva!). And I've been on a fair few Arriva buses where the driver can barely speak or understand English. That isn't to say I don't want foreign drivers, but they should at least be able to speak the language fluently!

BusLoverMum

04 Sep 2019, 6:19 pm #48

(04 Sep 2019, 1:57 pm)streetdeckfan

The thing is, a lot of the new things that have been introduced are what older people think young people want. For instance, the new 5 to 15 fares that they have introduced, making the monthly ticket app only means I won't use it. If I'm going to be paying £70 a month, I don't want to have to buy another ticket when my battery dies and I cant load the app up. They seem to think that we want everything to be on our phones, but the issue with that is, phones can only be used a limited amount on a charge, and if literally everything relies on a phone, it isn't going to last as long. It's all well and good having charging points on the bus, but if I have to have battery on my phone to get on the bus, they're useless (unless of course the driver is kind enough to let you on and charge your phone for a bit before showing them your ticket. Which has happened to me a couple times when the GNE app crashes)

Pssst! You need to invest in a power pack.

BusLoverMum
04 Sep 2019, 6:19 pm #48

The thing is, a lot of the new things that have been introduced are what older people think young people want. For instance, the new 5 to 15 fares that they have introduced, making the monthly ticket app only means I won't use it. If I'm going to be paying £70 a month, I don't want to have to buy another ticket when my battery dies and I cant load the app up. They seem to think that we want everything to be on our phones, but the issue with that is, phones can only be used a limited amount on a charge, and if literally everything relies on a phone, it isn't going to last as long. It's all well and good having charging points on the bus, but if I have to have battery on my phone to get on the bus, they're useless (unless of course the driver is kind enough to let you on and charge your phone for a bit before showing them your ticket. Which has happened to me a couple times when the GNE app crashes)

04 Sep 2019, 6:52 pm #49

(04 Sep 2019, 6:19 pm)BusLoverMum

I have a drawer full of them, trouble is I always forget to charge them!

streetdeckfan
04 Sep 2019, 6:52 pm #49

(04 Sep 2019, 6:19 pm)BusLoverMum

I have a drawer full of them, trouble is I always forget to charge them!

Andreos1

05 Sep 2019, 7:41 am #50

Saw this earlier. Appropriate!

.jpg
Screenshot_20190905-083948.jpg
Size 782.07 KB / Downloads 19

Andreos1
05 Sep 2019, 7:41 am #50

Saw this earlier. Appropriate!

.jpg
Screenshot_20190905-083948.jpg
Size 782.07 KB / Downloads 19

Stanleyone

05 Sep 2019, 9:37 am #51

I

5 to 25 (with ID) you must mean?

Stanleyone
05 Sep 2019, 9:37 am #51

I

05 Sep 2019, 1:46 pm #52

(05 Sep 2019, 9:37 am)Stanleyone

I

Yes, that is what I meant

streetdeckfan
05 Sep 2019, 1:46 pm #52

(05 Sep 2019, 9:37 am)Stanleyone

I

Yes, that is what I meant

Andreos1

07 Sep 2019, 3:00 pm #53

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/peop...ive-496947

Even the mackems are getting involved now!

Andreos1
07 Sep 2019, 3:00 pm #53

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/peop...ive-496947

Even the mackems are getting involved now!

Andreos1

30 Sep 2019, 5:30 pm #54

https://twitter.com/passtrans/status/117...56897?s=09

An interesting thread from Passenger Transport.

Andreos1
30 Sep 2019, 5:30 pm #54

BusLoverMum

30 Sep 2019, 7:40 pm #55

(30 Sep 2019, 5:30 pm)Andreos1

Is this new funding or money that has been re-announced at a convenient time? It's a much needed initiative in the areas mentioned. We have no idea how good we have it for provincial public transport, in most parts of this region, really.

BusLoverMum
30 Sep 2019, 7:40 pm #55

(30 Sep 2019, 5:30 pm)Andreos1

Is this new funding or money that has been re-announced at a convenient time? It's a much needed initiative in the areas mentioned. We have no idea how good we have it for provincial public transport, in most parts of this region, really.

Andreos1

30 Sep 2019, 7:55 pm #56

(30 Sep 2019, 7:40 pm)BusLoverMum

No idea.

Either way, I'll believe it when I see it!

Andreos1
30 Sep 2019, 7:55 pm #56

No idea.

Either way, I'll believe it when I see it!

01 Oct 2019, 5:27 am #57

The only real issue I have with the public transport up here is the lack of multi-operator tickets for reasonable prices outside of Nexus areas. As I keep bringing up, there is no weekly or monthly ticket that you can use on both GNE and Arriva services in County Durham.

streetdeckfan
01 Oct 2019, 5:27 am #57

The only real issue I have with the public transport up here is the lack of multi-operator tickets for reasonable prices outside of Nexus areas. As I keep bringing up, there is no weekly or monthly ticket that you can use on both GNE and Arriva services in County Durham.

BusLoverMum

01 Oct 2019, 10:38 am #58

(01 Oct 2019, 5:27 am)streetdeckfan

Yeah, the cost of travel and lack of multi operator ticketing outside the nexus area is the weak point. The cost of daily explorer tickets has skyrocketed for adults, too.

BusLoverMum
01 Oct 2019, 10:38 am #58

(01 Oct 2019, 5:27 am)streetdeckfan

Yeah, the cost of travel and lack of multi operator ticketing outside the nexus area is the weak point. The cost of daily explorer tickets has skyrocketed for adults, too.

Andreos1

04 Nov 2019, 5:08 pm #59

Www.ibyd.com/Middlesbrough

A survey for those who travel by bus 3 times a week or less.

Andreos1
04 Nov 2019, 5:08 pm #59

Www.ibyd.com/Middlesbrough

A survey for those who travel by bus 3 times a week or less.

Andreos1

02 Jan 2020, 2:47 pm #60
https://twitter.com/alextransdev/status/...07169?s=19

An interesting thread regarding Sunday services within Harrogate.

Andreos1
02 Jan 2020, 2:47 pm #60

https://twitter.com/alextransdev/status/...07169?s=19

An interesting thread regarding Sunday services within Harrogate.

Pages (29) Previous 1 2 3 429 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average