Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Branding

Branding

Branding

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Pages (7): 1 2 37 Next
Andreos1

30 Apr 2013, 1:43 pm #1
Building on the points made earlier in the main GNE forum, thought it would be worth making a new thread to discuss and compare branding and the different strategies operators use.

Whilst inovative 6 or 7 years ago with the funky colours and imaginative names, personally I think GNE have gone too far.
Having worked and spent a lot of time in Nottingham, it has been a success down there, however the network is totally different, with the majority of routes being similar to Stagecoach City Centre to Estates type services.

However when looking at ANE or SNE, their branding isnt as brash or over the top as the ones GNE have and they still maintain their corporate identities.
Andreos1
30 Apr 2013, 1:43 pm #1

Building on the points made earlier in the main GNE forum, thought it would be worth making a new thread to discuss and compare branding and the different strategies operators use.

Whilst inovative 6 or 7 years ago with the funky colours and imaginative names, personally I think GNE have gone too far.
Having worked and spent a lot of time in Nottingham, it has been a success down there, however the network is totally different, with the majority of routes being similar to Stagecoach City Centre to Estates type services.

However when looking at ANE or SNE, their branding isnt as brash or over the top as the ones GNE have and they still maintain their corporate identities.

Adrian

30 Apr 2013, 8:03 pm #2
I personally think GNE have gone way too far. Whilst I agree that a lot of the brands look good, they've got too many branded buses now, to the point it confuses customers. The confusion coming when the branded bus is not on the correct route.

I'd of personally left it at the major routes, like TTX, X66, Red Arrows, and Citylink for example. The rest being left in fleet livery.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
30 Apr 2013, 8:03 pm #2

I personally think GNE have gone way too far. Whilst I agree that a lot of the brands look good, they've got too many branded buses now, to the point it confuses customers. The confusion coming when the branded bus is not on the correct route.

I'd of personally left it at the major routes, like TTX, X66, Red Arrows, and Citylink for example. The rest being left in fleet livery.

30 Apr 2013, 8:57 pm #3
(30 Apr 2013, 8:03 pm)aureolin I personally think GNE have gone way too far. Whilst I agree that a lot of the brands look good, they've got too many branded buses now, to the point it confuses customers. The confusion coming when the branded bus is not on the correct route.

Hi, totally agree with core routes being branded but its far too often now where branded buses on wrong routes. I once saw an Orbit Versa on the 58 on the same section of route it shares with 51/52. Most people assume its 51/52 because of the colour without checking the number!
lesybear2002
30 Apr 2013, 8:57 pm #3

(30 Apr 2013, 8:03 pm)aureolin I personally think GNE have gone way too far. Whilst I agree that a lot of the brands look good, they've got too many branded buses now, to the point it confuses customers. The confusion coming when the branded bus is not on the correct route.

Hi, totally agree with core routes being branded but its far too often now where branded buses on wrong routes. I once saw an Orbit Versa on the 58 on the same section of route it shares with 51/52. Most people assume its 51/52 because of the colour without checking the number!

MurdnunoC

01 May 2013, 7:34 am #4
I never really saw the point of it to begin with. For me, the constant re-painting and re-branding of certain services must cost the company money, and, although I've been told that the cost isn't that much, I am still of the opinion that any savings made (by not branding) could be passed on to the customer through reduced fares: a tried and tested way of attracting new custom.

With flagship or long-distance routes, then yes, maybe there are marketing opportunities available to promote the route and attract new customers (however skeptical I may be) through a clever brand-name and dedicated vehicles. But for other routes, like the 69 - a route that has seen two brand-names attached to it (Kingfisher and Pulse) - why bother.

Personally, I would like to see the introduction of two brands. A standard corporate identity used for the majority of services; and the introduction of an old 'Express-Link' type identity which symbolises comfort and luxuriousness for flagship (with localised decals for the 10 and 21) and express services.
Edited 01 May 2013, 5:27 pm by MurdnunoC.
MurdnunoC
01 May 2013, 7:34 am #4

I never really saw the point of it to begin with. For me, the constant re-painting and re-branding of certain services must cost the company money, and, although I've been told that the cost isn't that much, I am still of the opinion that any savings made (by not branding) could be passed on to the customer through reduced fares: a tried and tested way of attracting new custom.

With flagship or long-distance routes, then yes, maybe there are marketing opportunities available to promote the route and attract new customers (however skeptical I may be) through a clever brand-name and dedicated vehicles. But for other routes, like the 69 - a route that has seen two brand-names attached to it (Kingfisher and Pulse) - why bother.

Personally, I would like to see the introduction of two brands. A standard corporate identity used for the majority of services; and the introduction of an old 'Express-Link' type identity which symbolises comfort and luxuriousness for flagship (with localised decals for the 10 and 21) and express services.

01 May 2013, 5:00 pm #5
I have to say that branding can be useful to make a service stand out but becomes useless when there are so many services branded. I also see an increasung range of unbranded different coloured buses which looks a bit if a mess.

I really think they need to take a leaf out of the Brighton or Edinburgh companies - smart basic liveries with key detail differences.

Kevin
Sland2000
01 May 2013, 5:00 pm #5

I have to say that branding can be useful to make a service stand out but becomes useless when there are so many services branded. I also see an increasung range of unbranded different coloured buses which looks a bit if a mess.

I really think they need to take a leaf out of the Brighton or Edinburgh companies - smart basic liveries with key detail differences.

Kevin

Adrian

01 May 2013, 7:40 pm #6
(30 Apr 2013, 8:57 pm)lesybear2002 Hi, totally agree with core routes being branded but its far too often now where branded buses on wrong routes. I once saw an Orbit Versa on the 58 on the same section of route it shares with 51/52. Most people assume its 51/52 because of the colour without checking the number!

That's exactly the problem. Martin Harris once told me on openline that the company's aim was to market a bus service recognisable as a brand. That doesn't work when brands are mismatched. It's exactly the same principal as buying an iPhone, and finding a Nokia 3310 in the box. Nowt against the latter like...

Adrian
01 May 2013, 7:40 pm #6

(30 Apr 2013, 8:57 pm)lesybear2002 Hi, totally agree with core routes being branded but its far too often now where branded buses on wrong routes. I once saw an Orbit Versa on the 58 on the same section of route it shares with 51/52. Most people assume its 51/52 because of the colour without checking the number!

That's exactly the problem. Martin Harris once told me on openline that the company's aim was to market a bus service recognisable as a brand. That doesn't work when brands are mismatched. It's exactly the same principal as buying an iPhone, and finding a Nokia 3310 in the box. Nowt against the latter like...

Andreos1

01 May 2013, 9:51 pm #7
With regard to the ten and 21, are these flagship routes only because of the marketing, branding etc.
In my mind a flagship is something which leads by example and is something to be proud of. Services which regularly have service changes and revisions or rebrands surely aren't the finished article and can't be used as that flagship example due to that up-heaval.
Whereas a settled brand or service, could be viewed as a flagship?
Andreos1
01 May 2013, 9:51 pm #7

With regard to the ten and 21, are these flagship routes only because of the marketing, branding etc.
In my mind a flagship is something which leads by example and is something to be proud of. Services which regularly have service changes and revisions or rebrands surely aren't the finished article and can't be used as that flagship example due to that up-heaval.

Adrian

23 May 2013, 8:05 pm #8
After this week, I'm a big fan of the way branding is done on the south coast. They brand routes in such a way that they never lose their corporate identity, and everyone clearly knows it's a Brighton & Hove bus. Few examples;

Service 49 branding.
[Image: 8773986160_f690f3f0d2.jpg]

Service 25 branding
[Image: 8773987236_7d8016bc13.jpg]

'The Key' advertising branding.
[Image: 8769171067_9f4043684f.jpg]

Another thing I noticed is that a lot of buses that went towards Brighton (and some other) Station had a British Rail logo above the blind. Quite a good idea.

Adrian
23 May 2013, 8:05 pm #8

After this week, I'm a big fan of the way branding is done on the south coast. They brand routes in such a way that they never lose their corporate identity, and everyone clearly knows it's a Brighton & Hove bus. Few examples;

Service 49 branding.
[Image: 8773986160_f690f3f0d2.jpg]

Service 25 branding
[Image: 8773987236_7d8016bc13.jpg]

'The Key' advertising branding.
[Image: 8769171067_9f4043684f.jpg]

Another thing I noticed is that a lot of buses that went towards Brighton (and some other) Station had a British Rail logo above the blind. Quite a good idea.

Andreos1

24 May 2013, 8:37 pm #9
It might not win any awards or cost much money to do, but thats exactly how it should be.

It doesnt look gimmicky and probably works just as well (if not better) as a garish orange bus with flowers on the side....
Andreos1
24 May 2013, 8:37 pm #9

It might not win any awards or cost much money to do, but thats exactly how it should be.

It doesnt look gimmicky and probably works just as well (if not better) as a garish orange bus with flowers on the side....

Andreos1

19 Jun 2013, 5:01 pm #10
Quite a good read www.passengertransport.co.uk/2013/06/what-makes-a-really-good-bus-company/.

There are some subtle digs and some not so subtle ones too.
Andreos1
19 Jun 2013, 5:01 pm #10

Quite a good read www.passengertransport.co.uk/2013/06/what-makes-a-really-good-bus-company/.

There are some subtle digs and some not so subtle ones too.

gtom

Banned

19 Jun 2013, 8:36 pm #11
(01 May 2013, 9:51 pm)Andreos1 With regard to the ten and 21, are these flagship routes only because of the marketing, branding etc.

In terms of the Angel it's flagship in that its the original route (or part of) Northern General.

Secondary would be frequency, the fact it no doubts generates masses of profit on the busiest and most lucrative corridor and that it serves 2 major cities and 4 major towns

Similar to BA001 is the British Airways flagship route and Iberia's is the MAD-BCN route
gtom
19 Jun 2013, 8:36 pm #11

(01 May 2013, 9:51 pm)Andreos1 With regard to the ten and 21, are these flagship routes only because of the marketing, branding etc.

In terms of the Angel it's flagship in that its the original route (or part of) Northern General.

Secondary would be frequency, the fact it no doubts generates masses of profit on the busiest and most lucrative corridor and that it serves 2 major cities and 4 major towns

Similar to BA001 is the British Airways flagship route and Iberia's is the MAD-BCN route

BJ10VUS

23 Jun 2013, 2:30 pm #12

I'm not sure about that, as the 21 has had 4(?) rebrands since it started and the vehicles were essentially downgraded each time until the new hybrids arrived. I don't really think branding is that important, and having fewer branded routes allows for greater flexibility when it comes to vehicle allocation. I don't, however, agree with scrapping branding altogether.

Just look at the original brand - (Photo from Wikipedia)
http://tinyurl.com/l32ussg

Then after the Mylenniums came this - (Photo by Simon Davison)
http://tinyurl.com/mzq5ger
BJ10VUS
23 Jun 2013, 2:30 pm #12

I'm not sure about that, as the 21 has had 4(?) rebrands since it started and the vehicles were essentially downgraded each time until the new hybrids arrived. I don't really think branding is that important, and having fewer branded routes allows for greater flexibility when it comes to vehicle allocation. I don't, however, agree with scrapping branding altogether.

Just look at the original brand - (Photo from Wikipedia)
http://tinyurl.com/l32ussg

Then after the Mylenniums came this - (Photo by Simon Davison)
http://tinyurl.com/mzq5ger

Andreos1

23 Jun 2013, 3:29 pm #13
I get what your both saying and can see what points you are putting across, but was the 723 seen as a flagship service? It certainly followed the same historic route and made money.

Before the deckers came, was the 10 a flagship? Or was it a service which was pump primed, struggled to keep time, couldn't cope with numbers and has had regular service revisions?

Until GNE spent some time marketing and advertising the X10, it was infrequent and was barely used.

How often do BA/Iberia change or alter their flagship service?

The 21 has had the '24 hour service', the pink angels, the red angels and now the green angels, including a constant replacement of vehicles, including the Presidents, Omnicities, Loynes, Vykings and now the Hybrids.
Customers regularly complain with timings, end points, freqencies etc all being changed on an all to regular basis.
According to www.businessdictionary.com a flagship (or core product) is definded as: 'A company's core product or service which is most recognizable by the public and embodies the expertise, values and product line of the business.'

If the 21 is seen as the brand which embodies the expertise and values of GNE, then no wonder people have the perception of them that they do.
How can a service which has had so many changes be recognisable as a product?
How can the service which struggles to maintain a full or even frequency, embody the expertise of its operator and int turn be viewed as a flagship?

Marketing alone can't make a product or service a flagship overnight, no matter how much bosses hope it will.
Heinz Beans and Kellogs Cornflakes have been around years and are the established embodiment of the manufacturer, no matter how much advertising is spent on promoting fads such as Heinz Lemon and Garlic Mayo with a hint of corriander & tarragon or Kellogs Coco Pops Milky Straw things.

If GNE can leave a 'product' or service alone long enough, for it to establish itself, for it to become even unique, then and only then, can it be percieved as a potential flagship.

To me, the 10, 21 and X9/10 are mobile advertisments, as well as being cash cow products, running between several important towns/cities and are only doing so to appease shareholders as well as having one up with the competion - they aren't at all set up with customers interests at heart.
They aren't flagship services.

When the likes of the 194 or 301 were used on company literature or advertising, it wasn't because of its frequency, funky colours or modern vehicles. They were used because they were established services, serving massive parts of the population and were instantly recognisable. The ideal definition of a core service.
Andreos1
23 Jun 2013, 3:29 pm #13

I get what your both saying and can see what points you are putting across, but was the 723 seen as a flagship service? It certainly followed the same historic route and made money.

Before the deckers came, was the 10 a flagship? Or was it a service which was pump primed, struggled to keep time, couldn't cope with numbers and has had regular service revisions?

Until GNE spent some time marketing and advertising the X10, it was infrequent and was barely used.

How often do BA/Iberia change or alter their flagship service?

The 21 has had the '24 hour service', the pink angels, the red angels and now the green angels, including a constant replacement of vehicles, including the Presidents, Omnicities, Loynes, Vykings and now the Hybrids.
Customers regularly complain with timings, end points, freqencies etc all being changed on an all to regular basis.
According to www.businessdictionary.com a flagship (or core product) is definded as: 'A company's core product or service which is most recognizable by the public and embodies the expertise, values and product line of the business.'

If the 21 is seen as the brand which embodies the expertise and values of GNE, then no wonder people have the perception of them that they do.
How can a service which has had so many changes be recognisable as a product?
How can the service which struggles to maintain a full or even frequency, embody the expertise of its operator and int turn be viewed as a flagship?

Marketing alone can't make a product or service a flagship overnight, no matter how much bosses hope it will.
Heinz Beans and Kellogs Cornflakes have been around years and are the established embodiment of the manufacturer, no matter how much advertising is spent on promoting fads such as Heinz Lemon and Garlic Mayo with a hint of corriander & tarragon or Kellogs Coco Pops Milky Straw things.

If GNE can leave a 'product' or service alone long enough, for it to establish itself, for it to become even unique, then and only then, can it be percieved as a potential flagship.

To me, the 10, 21 and X9/10 are mobile advertisments, as well as being cash cow products, running between several important towns/cities and are only doing so to appease shareholders as well as having one up with the competion - they aren't at all set up with customers interests at heart.
They aren't flagship services.

When the likes of the 194 or 301 were used on company literature or advertising, it wasn't because of its frequency, funky colours or modern vehicles. They were used because they were established services, serving massive parts of the population and were instantly recognisable. The ideal definition of a core service.

BJ10VUS

23 Jun 2013, 3:48 pm #14
I do agree with some of what you say.

But take the example of Stagecoach Newcastle's 39 and 40 - this service was not 'branded' until fairly recently and even now they're still technically in Stagecoach livery - albeit in green rather than the 'normal' colours. This service was as popular when it wasn't branded as it is now - it's managed to gain enough passengers to operate to a combined frequency of up to every 5 minutes (which I think is the most frequent bus service in Newcastle?) without branding. That's probably just down to the route it takes, but I suppose that just shows that if you can choose a route correctly and provide a good service, you won't need gimmicks to attract customers.
BJ10VUS
23 Jun 2013, 3:48 pm #14

I do agree with some of what you say.

But take the example of Stagecoach Newcastle's 39 and 40 - this service was not 'branded' until fairly recently and even now they're still technically in Stagecoach livery - albeit in green rather than the 'normal' colours. This service was as popular when it wasn't branded as it is now - it's managed to gain enough passengers to operate to a combined frequency of up to every 5 minutes (which I think is the most frequent bus service in Newcastle?) without branding. That's probably just down to the route it takes, but I suppose that just shows that if you can choose a route correctly and provide a good service, you won't need gimmicks to attract customers.

Andreos1

23 Jun 2013, 4:05 pm #15
That's exactly my point.

How long has that service been established? Granted there will have been minor tweaks and changes, but not the wholesale changes seen on other services or routes.
It doesn't need garish advertising or funky branding. People know the service, know where they can go, how much it will cost and dont need to worry about zones or missing an infrequent connection.
The 39/40 covers a massive proportion of the city and the suburbs, is popular and is recognisable as a Stagecoach service.

Whether it is the 'flagship' service is open to debate - but it hits all of the criteria according to the definition mentioned earlier.
Andreos1
23 Jun 2013, 4:05 pm #15

That's exactly my point.

How long has that service been established? Granted there will have been minor tweaks and changes, but not the wholesale changes seen on other services or routes.
It doesn't need garish advertising or funky branding. People know the service, know where they can go, how much it will cost and dont need to worry about zones or missing an infrequent connection.
The 39/40 covers a massive proportion of the city and the suburbs, is popular and is recognisable as a Stagecoach service.

Whether it is the 'flagship' service is open to debate - but it hits all of the criteria according to the definition mentioned earlier.

CatsFast101

Unregistered

24 Jun 2013, 9:23 am #16
Under this logic the 60 would be one of GNE's flagships. A route which has always been there in some form Sunderland-Ryhope-Seaham-Parkside with a regular 'Drifter' brand under two colour schemes albeit. But it's one of those service which has never been largely messed about with. I have no doubt that it most be fairly profitable.
CatsFast101
24 Jun 2013, 9:23 am #16

Under this logic the 60 would be one of GNE's flagships. A route which has always been there in some form Sunderland-Ryhope-Seaham-Parkside with a regular 'Drifter' brand under two colour schemes albeit. But it's one of those service which has never been largely messed about with. I have no doubt that it most be fairly profitable.

gtom

Banned

24 Jun 2013, 12:32 pm #17
It isn't neccessarily about heritage and consistency, flagship a lot of the time is an excercise in marketing.

GNE trumpet the Angel on the basis of the hybrid buses, the 7/8 frequency, wi-fi, next stop information and the fact it serves Durham, Angel and Newcastle. Probably the 3 key touristy areas of Tyne and Wear and that very busy Durham Road corridor.

They don't want you to remember the disaster of the Omnicities etc.

Was the 723 a flagship? I'd say it was in an age when a bus service was just a set of numbers and 4 wheels as opposed to a social media hub (perceived anyway) though its importance to GNE was probably diminished when it was joint op-d with United then Arriva before the dying days as a limited stop service alongside the 724 (disaster that was)
gtom
24 Jun 2013, 12:32 pm #17

It isn't neccessarily about heritage and consistency, flagship a lot of the time is an excercise in marketing.

GNE trumpet the Angel on the basis of the hybrid buses, the 7/8 frequency, wi-fi, next stop information and the fact it serves Durham, Angel and Newcastle. Probably the 3 key touristy areas of Tyne and Wear and that very busy Durham Road corridor.

They don't want you to remember the disaster of the Omnicities etc.

Was the 723 a flagship? I'd say it was in an age when a bus service was just a set of numbers and 4 wheels as opposed to a social media hub (perceived anyway) though its importance to GNE was probably diminished when it was joint op-d with United then Arriva before the dying days as a limited stop service alongside the 724 (disaster that was)

Andreos1

24 Jun 2013, 4:31 pm #18
Again, I get what you are saying - but if we are using the definition above, then which of the brands such as the 21 or 60, is the one passengers most identify with and embodies the company?

Is the 21 the flagship? The 10? Tyne Tees Express? The Red Arrows? They all have the same spec (apart from the hybrid engine) as each other. What about The Crusader? The Drifter? The Waggonway (connecting with three touristy areas, providing essential local links, connecting 2 major towns and a city, serving one of the biggest hospitals and cemetries in the area, definately more vital and important to some people than the 21...).
Could passengers get to the destinations served by the 21 or 60 if they were stopped?

GNE trumpet the 21 and their other branded services too.
Is one trumpeted over the other regionwide or is it a case of being trumpeted locally? If it is locally, then you could argue the possibility of 'local' flagships.

The 723 probably wasnt a flagship, but met the criteria you put forward initially for the 21 being a flagship in that it covered the original route. It also served a massive part of the region, connecting and serving possibly more places than the 21 does.
It used the new, modern vehicles at the time too.

Im not sure a specific brand amongst so many others can be the flagship brand.
If there was one brand like the old Superliner or Expresslink brand that had decent spec, then maybe it could be the flagship.
Andreos1
24 Jun 2013, 4:31 pm #18

Again, I get what you are saying - but if we are using the definition above, then which of the brands such as the 21 or 60, is the one passengers most identify with and embodies the company?

Is the 21 the flagship? The 10? Tyne Tees Express? The Red Arrows? They all have the same spec (apart from the hybrid engine) as each other. What about The Crusader? The Drifter? The Waggonway (connecting with three touristy areas, providing essential local links, connecting 2 major towns and a city, serving one of the biggest hospitals and cemetries in the area, definately more vital and important to some people than the 21...).
Could passengers get to the destinations served by the 21 or 60 if they were stopped?

GNE trumpet the 21 and their other branded services too.
Is one trumpeted over the other regionwide or is it a case of being trumpeted locally? If it is locally, then you could argue the possibility of 'local' flagships.

The 723 probably wasnt a flagship, but met the criteria you put forward initially for the 21 being a flagship in that it covered the original route. It also served a massive part of the region, connecting and serving possibly more places than the 21 does.
It used the new, modern vehicles at the time too.

Im not sure a specific brand amongst so many others can be the flagship brand.
If there was one brand like the old Superliner or Expresslink brand that had decent spec, then maybe it could be the flagship.

Adrian

24 Jun 2013, 6:50 pm #19
I'd argue the TEN, Red Arrows, Angel, and the TTX are the flagship services. Simply because those are the services GNE seem to be investing hard cash into at the moment.

Adrian
24 Jun 2013, 6:50 pm #19

I'd argue the TEN, Red Arrows, Angel, and the TTX are the flagship services. Simply because those are the services GNE seem to be investing hard cash into at the moment.

Michael

24 Jun 2013, 6:54 pm #20
(24 Jun 2013, 6:50 pm)aureolin I'd argue the TEN, Red Arrows, Angel, and the TTX are the flagship services. Simply because those are the services GNE seem to be investing hard cash into at the moment.

Don't forget the M1, since it looks like its getting the Citaro K, its gonna be Euro 6 Spec XD

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
24 Jun 2013, 6:54 pm #20

(24 Jun 2013, 6:50 pm)aureolin I'd argue the TEN, Red Arrows, Angel, and the TTX are the flagship services. Simply because those are the services GNE seem to be investing hard cash into at the moment.

Don't forget the M1, since it looks like its getting the Citaro K, its gonna be Euro 6 Spec XD

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Pages (7): 1 2 37 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average