Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Pricing

Pricing

Pricing

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (89) Previous 161 62 6389 Next
20 Feb 2020, 12:54 pm #1,221
(19 Feb 2020, 10:27 pm)Adrian Stagecoach's operation in the North East is very much no-frills. They have a national model and they continue to make square pegs fit into round holes, wherever they look to operate. There's no attempt to even try and encourage people out of their car, unlike GNE for example, who have continued to innovate over a number of years and try new things. The new buses and spec on the X30, in my opinion, being a really good example.

Not sure that's a fair statement.  If the offer of new buses on the X30 is a really good example from GNE, how are the similarly spec'd similarly new buses Stagecoach have just bought for the 39 & 40 demonstrating no attempt to even try?
stagecoachbusdepot
20 Feb 2020, 12:54 pm #1,221

(19 Feb 2020, 10:27 pm)Adrian Stagecoach's operation in the North East is very much no-frills. They have a national model and they continue to make square pegs fit into round holes, wherever they look to operate. There's no attempt to even try and encourage people out of their car, unlike GNE for example, who have continued to innovate over a number of years and try new things. The new buses and spec on the X30, in my opinion, being a really good example.

Not sure that's a fair statement.  If the offer of new buses on the X30 is a really good example from GNE, how are the similarly spec'd similarly new buses Stagecoach have just bought for the 39 & 40 demonstrating no attempt to even try?

Dan

Site Administrator

20 Feb 2020, 1:00 pm #1,222
(20 Feb 2020, 12:54 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Not sure that's a fair statement.  If the offer of new buses on the X30 is a really good example from GNE, how are the similarly spec'd similarly new buses Stagecoach have just bought for the 39 & 40 demonstrating no attempt to even try?

Not sure it is unfair either. Perception of marketing perhaps?

Stagecoach have done very little to promote these features and look very “no frills” compared to Go North East’s similar buses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
20 Feb 2020, 1:00 pm #1,222

(20 Feb 2020, 12:54 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Not sure that's a fair statement.  If the offer of new buses on the X30 is a really good example from GNE, how are the similarly spec'd similarly new buses Stagecoach have just bought for the 39 & 40 demonstrating no attempt to even try?

Not sure it is unfair either. Perception of marketing perhaps?

Stagecoach have done very little to promote these features and look very “no frills” compared to Go North East’s similar buses.

20 Feb 2020, 3:41 pm #1,223
(20 Feb 2020, 1:00 pm)Dan Not sure it is unfair either. Perception of marketing perhaps?

There's no doubt the Stagecoach route branding is incredibly dull though I believe it was stated that this was due to the impending launch of the (insipid) new livery.

That aside, the features are advertised on the sides and rear of the buses, and on board leaflets.  I guess whether one livery or brand looks better than another is always highly subjective.  There was also a central Newcastle launch, which arguably did more to promote awareness in terms of passing footfall on Northumberland Street, than the X30 launch would have enjoyed at Tanfield Railway.
stagecoachbusdepot
20 Feb 2020, 3:41 pm #1,223

(20 Feb 2020, 1:00 pm)Dan Not sure it is unfair either. Perception of marketing perhaps?

There's no doubt the Stagecoach route branding is incredibly dull though I believe it was stated that this was due to the impending launch of the (insipid) new livery.

That aside, the features are advertised on the sides and rear of the buses, and on board leaflets.  I guess whether one livery or brand looks better than another is always highly subjective.  There was also a central Newcastle launch, which arguably did more to promote awareness in terms of passing footfall on Northumberland Street, than the X30 launch would have enjoyed at Tanfield Railway.

mb134

21 Feb 2020, 12:24 pm #1,224
(20 Feb 2020, 3:41 pm)stagecoachbusdepot There's no doubt the Stagecoach route branding is incredibly dull though I believe it was stated that this was due to the impending launch of the (insipid) new livery.

Slightly unpopular, but I actually don't mind the new Stagecoach livery. It's simple, using easy on the eye colours and you're left in no doubt as to who the operator is. 

If you're standing in a bus stop, there's a huge Stagecoach logo on the front so passengers will be confident that they're getting on the correct bus. Remember also that for lots of people who live in places with multiple operators they may not be sure which company runs which route - or be told that they need to get the "insert operator name here" bus. 

If you look at the logos of Netflix, Google, airbnb, Deliveroo, Pepsi as some examples, you'll notice a move to a more simplistic, cleaner looking logo. More and more nowadays people associate minimalism with modern, forward facing companies. 

Further, the colours used internally on the new vehicles look and feel modern and up to date. Grey is a very neutral colour, and paired with a reasonably unoffensive blue it works well to create a calm interior. Contrast that with red, for example, which makes people feel more emotional - obvious upsides but also connotations of anger, something you don't want on a bus.
mb134
21 Feb 2020, 12:24 pm #1,224

(20 Feb 2020, 3:41 pm)stagecoachbusdepot There's no doubt the Stagecoach route branding is incredibly dull though I believe it was stated that this was due to the impending launch of the (insipid) new livery.

Slightly unpopular, but I actually don't mind the new Stagecoach livery. It's simple, using easy on the eye colours and you're left in no doubt as to who the operator is. 

If you're standing in a bus stop, there's a huge Stagecoach logo on the front so passengers will be confident that they're getting on the correct bus. Remember also that for lots of people who live in places with multiple operators they may not be sure which company runs which route - or be told that they need to get the "insert operator name here" bus. 

If you look at the logos of Netflix, Google, airbnb, Deliveroo, Pepsi as some examples, you'll notice a move to a more simplistic, cleaner looking logo. More and more nowadays people associate minimalism with modern, forward facing companies. 

Further, the colours used internally on the new vehicles look and feel modern and up to date. Grey is a very neutral colour, and paired with a reasonably unoffensive blue it works well to create a calm interior. Contrast that with red, for example, which makes people feel more emotional - obvious upsides but also connotations of anger, something you don't want on a bus.

Andreos1

21 Feb 2020, 12:56 pm #1,225
(19 Feb 2020, 10:27 pm)Adrian As others have said, the majority of customers won't have a clue what Euro 6 is or means. I'd be surprised if the majority are interested in operational matters either.

Interested re: the comment on paying staff in line with inflation. Are you saying they're consistent at making pay offers either above or inline with inflation?

Spot on. There's a lot of talk from operators at the moment about congestion and making buses (and public transport in general) more attractive to try and combat it, but I'm not sure what they hope to achieve by further pricing people away from it.

Stagecoach's operation in the North East is very much no-frills. They have a national model and they continue to make square pegs fit into round holes, wherever they look to operate. There's no attempt to even try and encourage people out of their car, unlike GNE for example, who have continued to innovate over a number of years and try new things. The new buses and spec on the X30, in my opinion, being a really good example.

Its going to take more than just the local authority and Government to help combat congestion. The real challenge starts at the operators doors.

I don't think the spec currently being promoted on the X30 will be able to sustain itself as anything different in the not too distant future.
I genuinely think it (or at least the majority of it) will become the norm.

It's gonna be an interesting time for commercial and marketing depts as they come up with new ways to attract passengers.
I think we are seeing the slow decline of the route branding fad, data deals are getting better and battery life is lasting longer. Will there be any need for operators to spec these elements?

I am glad there was a re-jig of the GNE zoning structure. 
I'm glad there 24 hour ticket was introduced. 
Too little, too late? It's nearly the end of Feb, I've not used a UK bus since the second week in December and I'm an 'enthusiast'. 
What about 'ordinary' punters?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
21 Feb 2020, 12:56 pm #1,225

(19 Feb 2020, 10:27 pm)Adrian As others have said, the majority of customers won't have a clue what Euro 6 is or means. I'd be surprised if the majority are interested in operational matters either.

Interested re: the comment on paying staff in line with inflation. Are you saying they're consistent at making pay offers either above or inline with inflation?

Spot on. There's a lot of talk from operators at the moment about congestion and making buses (and public transport in general) more attractive to try and combat it, but I'm not sure what they hope to achieve by further pricing people away from it.

Stagecoach's operation in the North East is very much no-frills. They have a national model and they continue to make square pegs fit into round holes, wherever they look to operate. There's no attempt to even try and encourage people out of their car, unlike GNE for example, who have continued to innovate over a number of years and try new things. The new buses and spec on the X30, in my opinion, being a really good example.

Its going to take more than just the local authority and Government to help combat congestion. The real challenge starts at the operators doors.

I don't think the spec currently being promoted on the X30 will be able to sustain itself as anything different in the not too distant future.

It's gonna be an interesting time for commercial and marketing depts as they come up with new ways to attract passengers.
I think we are seeing the slow decline of the route branding fad, data deals are getting better and battery life is lasting longer. Will there be any need for operators to spec these elements?

Too little, too late? It's nearly the end of Feb, I've not used a UK bus since the second week in December and I'm an 'enthusiast'. 

21 Feb 2020, 1:14 pm #1,226
(21 Feb 2020, 12:56 pm)Andreos1 I don't think the spec currently being promoted on the X30 will be able to sustain itself as anything different in the not too distant future.

As many people have said already, everyone who NEEDS to travel by bus is already travelling by bus. Now they just need to try and persuade people out of cars. And one of the ways GNE are trying to do that (and I think they're succeeding, for the most part anyway) is making their buses as high spec as possible. While the novelty of the high spec will wear off for passengers in the not too distant future, for first time passengers I don't think it will, so even if it does become the norm, it will still stand out to their target audience.
Plus, with a few exceptions, the routes they are upgrading to X-Lines don't have any competition so those who need to use the bus, are already travelling GNE, so it's not a case of poaching passengers from other operators but from cars

I honestly can't remember the last time I used the on board WiFi, 100mb a day is nowhere near enough to be useful so I never bother connecting, plus when I have unlimited 4G that averages ~50mbps over the whole of the X21 route, there's no point.
As for the charging, every time I get on a bus with USB or Wireless charging I charge up my phone. It's a habit I got in to when the battery on my old phone wouldn't even last until lunch time. 

I still think there could be improvements to the GNE zoning, having more crossover would be a start. I particularly like what Arriva does with some of their zones, like allowing passengers with a Durham District ticket to travel all the way to Newcastle on the X12.
streetdeckfan
21 Feb 2020, 1:14 pm #1,226

(21 Feb 2020, 12:56 pm)Andreos1 I don't think the spec currently being promoted on the X30 will be able to sustain itself as anything different in the not too distant future.

As many people have said already, everyone who NEEDS to travel by bus is already travelling by bus. Now they just need to try and persuade people out of cars. And one of the ways GNE are trying to do that (and I think they're succeeding, for the most part anyway) is making their buses as high spec as possible. While the novelty of the high spec will wear off for passengers in the not too distant future, for first time passengers I don't think it will, so even if it does become the norm, it will still stand out to their target audience.
Plus, with a few exceptions, the routes they are upgrading to X-Lines don't have any competition so those who need to use the bus, are already travelling GNE, so it's not a case of poaching passengers from other operators but from cars

I honestly can't remember the last time I used the on board WiFi, 100mb a day is nowhere near enough to be useful so I never bother connecting, plus when I have unlimited 4G that averages ~50mbps over the whole of the X21 route, there's no point.
As for the charging, every time I get on a bus with USB or Wireless charging I charge up my phone. It's a habit I got in to when the battery on my old phone wouldn't even last until lunch time. 

I still think there could be improvements to the GNE zoning, having more crossover would be a start. I particularly like what Arriva does with some of their zones, like allowing passengers with a Durham District ticket to travel all the way to Newcastle on the X12.

mb134

21 Feb 2020, 3:50 pm #1,227

I've believed for quite a while that, bar a few key routes (including things like Airport routes), a strong corporate livery with minimal route branding is the way forward. Things like WiFi, USB sockets, NSAs are becoming standard spec, so going forward operators need to do a better job of marketing other benefits. 

Journey times, fares in comparison to parking, fuel, insurance etc, perks of using it on a night into town in comparison to driving is what they need to focus on moving forward. Daytime services, while passenger numbers will probably be slightly lower than they used to be, probably aren't the main issue - evening services using the same vehicles with substantially lower passenger numbers are. Essentially leisure users need to increase - that can only really be done with attractive fares.
mb134
21 Feb 2020, 3:50 pm #1,227

I've believed for quite a while that, bar a few key routes (including things like Airport routes), a strong corporate livery with minimal route branding is the way forward. Things like WiFi, USB sockets, NSAs are becoming standard spec, so going forward operators need to do a better job of marketing other benefits. 

Journey times, fares in comparison to parking, fuel, insurance etc, perks of using it on a night into town in comparison to driving is what they need to focus on moving forward. Daytime services, while passenger numbers will probably be slightly lower than they used to be, probably aren't the main issue - evening services using the same vehicles with substantially lower passenger numbers are. Essentially leisure users need to increase - that can only really be done with attractive fares.

21 Feb 2020, 4:14 pm #1,228
(21 Feb 2020, 3:50 pm)mb134 Essentially leisure users need to increase - that can only really be done with attractive fares.

That's a good point, fares are attractive, and often considerably cheaper than car, as long as you're a regular user. But if you're just using the bus here and there, it does get quite pricey!

I think that's why they introduced the evening ticket, which at £6.50 for a group of 4 is actually a pretty good deal... as long as you actually get bus service on an evening!
streetdeckfan
21 Feb 2020, 4:14 pm #1,228

(21 Feb 2020, 3:50 pm)mb134 Essentially leisure users need to increase - that can only really be done with attractive fares.

That's a good point, fares are attractive, and often considerably cheaper than car, as long as you're a regular user. But if you're just using the bus here and there, it does get quite pricey!

I think that's why they introduced the evening ticket, which at £6.50 for a group of 4 is actually a pretty good deal... as long as you actually get bus service on an evening!

21 Feb 2020, 4:47 pm #1,229
(21 Feb 2020, 4:14 pm)streetdeckfan That's a good point, fares are attractive, and often considerably cheaper than car, as long as you're a regular user. But if you're just using the bus here and there, it does get quite pricey!

There is a bus 30 seconds from my front door right to the Metrocentre. Because i own a car, it is not economical for me to get a bus as i simply dont spend £5.30 on fuel there and back, if i am with my partner then £10.60 is far too much!

The operators need to keep hold of people before they get a car at a young age, as no one is really going to spend on both, if you already have that outgoing of finance/insurance/tax, fuel is much cheaper than a bus ticket. 

When you add it all up, if i currently could get a bus to work, i would get rid of the car it would save me £200+ a month.

When i start at GNE we are going straight down to 1 car. It makes zero sense to have 2 when i do not need it for work. Even if i had to pay for the bus i would still get rid as its not economical to pay for both.
WheelBus1986
21 Feb 2020, 4:47 pm #1,229

(21 Feb 2020, 4:14 pm)streetdeckfan That's a good point, fares are attractive, and often considerably cheaper than car, as long as you're a regular user. But if you're just using the bus here and there, it does get quite pricey!

There is a bus 30 seconds from my front door right to the Metrocentre. Because i own a car, it is not economical for me to get a bus as i simply dont spend £5.30 on fuel there and back, if i am with my partner then £10.60 is far too much!

The operators need to keep hold of people before they get a car at a young age, as no one is really going to spend on both, if you already have that outgoing of finance/insurance/tax, fuel is much cheaper than a bus ticket. 

When you add it all up, if i currently could get a bus to work, i would get rid of the car it would save me £200+ a month.

When i start at GNE we are going straight down to 1 car. It makes zero sense to have 2 when i do not need it for work. Even if i had to pay for the bus i would still get rid as its not economical to pay for both.

21 Feb 2020, 5:14 pm #1,230
(21 Feb 2020, 4:47 pm)WheelBus1986 There is a bus 30 seconds from my front door right to the Metrocentre. Because i own a car, it is not economical for me to get a bus as i simply dont spend £5.30 on fuel there and back, if i am with my partner then £10.60 is far too much!

For me, it makes no financial sense to drive, I live in Bishop Auckland, but regularly travel up to Newcastle, that return journey in a car averaging 38mpg (which is what our car gets) would cost about £9.50. I pay £95 a month for my All Zone ticket, so I only need to go to Newcastle and back 10 times in a month to break even. And that's before I take in to account the cost of insurance, which for a person my age would be in the hundreds a month, then there's the cost of a car, tax etc. Sure, it would be more convenient to drive, but for me it's not worth it. Plus, I have family at both ends if I need to get somewhere that's not on a bus route! 

I have a bus stop 30 seconds from my door to Newcastle, but it stops running at 6pm. If I want to travel later than that I have to get an Arriva bus to Bishop for £1.40 then use my GNE pass. Even taking that in to account, it's still miles cheaper to get the bus!

Plus, I could be paying only £68 a month as I'm under 25, but I'll happily pay the extra to use The Key over using the app!
streetdeckfan
21 Feb 2020, 5:14 pm #1,230

(21 Feb 2020, 4:47 pm)WheelBus1986 There is a bus 30 seconds from my front door right to the Metrocentre. Because i own a car, it is not economical for me to get a bus as i simply dont spend £5.30 on fuel there and back, if i am with my partner then £10.60 is far too much!

For me, it makes no financial sense to drive, I live in Bishop Auckland, but regularly travel up to Newcastle, that return journey in a car averaging 38mpg (which is what our car gets) would cost about £9.50. I pay £95 a month for my All Zone ticket, so I only need to go to Newcastle and back 10 times in a month to break even. And that's before I take in to account the cost of insurance, which for a person my age would be in the hundreds a month, then there's the cost of a car, tax etc. Sure, it would be more convenient to drive, but for me it's not worth it. Plus, I have family at both ends if I need to get somewhere that's not on a bus route! 

I have a bus stop 30 seconds from my door to Newcastle, but it stops running at 6pm. If I want to travel later than that I have to get an Arriva bus to Bishop for £1.40 then use my GNE pass. Even taking that in to account, it's still miles cheaper to get the bus!

Plus, I could be paying only £68 a month as I'm under 25, but I'll happily pay the extra to use The Key over using the app!

Andreos1

21 Feb 2020, 5:46 pm #1,231
(21 Feb 2020, 3:50 pm)mb134 I've believed for quite a while that, bar a few key routes (including things like Airport routes), a strong corporate livery with minimal route branding is the way forward. Things like WiFi, USB sockets, NSAs are becoming standard spec, so going forward operators need to do a better job of marketing other benefits. 

I think those two bib highlight exactly what the issue is. 
They need to attract people, but it's cheaper and more convenient in the car. 

I can't get a direct bus to the metrocentre from my T&W property. Its 3 buses there and the same back, unless its a weekend and I can time my connections with an X88. Then it can be done with one change. 

I can be on the A1(M) at Picktree within 5 mins of leaving the house. Granted I'm then at the whims of the Western Bypass, but on a good day I can be there another 10mins later.
To counter streetdeckfans Mams car, I'm getting 55/58 mpg in mine and paying pennies in tax. 

For all the WiFi and USB's, there's still no financial incentive or convenience in using the bus.

It's the same if I'm in R&C.
Three buses (needing a multi-operator ticket this time) or the car. But there is the option of the train and it being much quicker than the bus.
Having the railcard makes it cheaper.

Andreos1
21 Feb 2020, 5:46 pm #1,231

(21 Feb 2020, 3:50 pm)mb134 I've believed for quite a while that, bar a few key routes (including things like Airport routes), a strong corporate livery with minimal route branding is the way forward. Things like WiFi, USB sockets, NSAs are becoming standard spec, so going forward operators need to do a better job of marketing other benefits. 

I think those two bib highlight exactly what the issue is. 

I can't get a direct bus to the metrocentre from my T&W property. Its 3 buses there and the same back, unless its a weekend and I can time my connections with an X88. Then it can be done with one change. 

I can be on the A1(M) at Picktree within 5 mins of leaving the house. Granted I'm then at the whims of the Western Bypass, but on a good day I can be there another 10mins later.
To counter streetdeckfans Mams car, I'm getting 55/58 mpg in mine and paying pennies in tax. 

For all the WiFi and USB's, there's still no financial incentive or convenience in using the bus.

Three buses (needing a multi-operator ticket this time) or the car. But there is the option of the train and it being much quicker than the bus.

21 Feb 2020, 5:59 pm #1,232
(21 Feb 2020, 5:46 pm)Andreos1 To counter streetdeckfans Mams car, I'm getting 55/58 mpg in mine and paying pennies in tax. 

We need a big car as we move quite a bit of stuff around (we do property development on the side), the downside of that is not the best fuel economy (although better than my friend's Mini Cooper) and £250 a year in tax! 

If I had to buy a car, I would get an EV anyway as I love quick cars and have off street parking, so that would basically remove the cost of fuel and tax, but then the insurance is still a killer!

Plus, I like the convenience of just sitting on a bus and getting work done
streetdeckfan
21 Feb 2020, 5:59 pm #1,232

(21 Feb 2020, 5:46 pm)Andreos1 To counter streetdeckfans Mams car, I'm getting 55/58 mpg in mine and paying pennies in tax. 

We need a big car as we move quite a bit of stuff around (we do property development on the side), the downside of that is not the best fuel economy (although better than my friend's Mini Cooper) and £250 a year in tax! 

If I had to buy a car, I would get an EV anyway as I love quick cars and have off street parking, so that would basically remove the cost of fuel and tax, but then the insurance is still a killer!

Andreos1

21 Feb 2020, 6:04 pm #1,233
(21 Feb 2020, 5:59 pm)streetdeckfan We need a big car as we move quite a bit of stuff around (we do property development on the side), the downside of that is not the best fuel economy (although better than my friend's Mini Cooper) and £250 a year in tax! 

Mines a decent sized car too. 
It has to be for the things I need it for (and when MrsC wanted the Christmas tree). 
Pennies in tax, good mpg and a decent size. It's one of the reasons I got rid of the old one.

The time saved when driving somewhere, allows me to do my work when I get there.
It still doesn't offer an incentive to use the bus, however much I may want to.

Andreos1
21 Feb 2020, 6:04 pm #1,233

(21 Feb 2020, 5:59 pm)streetdeckfan We need a big car as we move quite a bit of stuff around (we do property development on the side), the downside of that is not the best fuel economy (although better than my friend's Mini Cooper) and £250 a year in tax! 

Mines a decent sized car too. 
It has to be for the things I need it for (and when MrsC wanted the Christmas tree). 
Pennies in tax, good mpg and a decent size. It's one of the reasons I got rid of the old one.

The time saved when driving somewhere, allows me to do my work when I get there.

mb134

21 Feb 2020, 6:14 pm #1,234
(21 Feb 2020, 5:46 pm)Andreos1 I think those two bib highlight exactly what the issue is. 

I'm reasonably out of touch with parking charges in the NE, though last I remember Newcastle was free after 5?

Up in Aberdeen the main shopping centre is a flat £1.50 after 18:00, with many other parking places free after 19:00. First sell an "evening ticket" for £3 after 19:00 - no real use to anyone with a car as parking is cheaper and the distance First cover nobody is realistically paying more than £1.50 in petrol (bar one route). I guess the hope for bus companies is that people want to have a drink, which rules the car out completely. Then, however, they need to be priced considerably less than a Taxi and be reasonably convenient. 

There is no bus from where I live down home to the Metrocentre, I'd have to change at Haymarket/Eldon Square onto another operator - taking my bus fare to nearly £10. In comparison on that journey my car will do about 45mpg, keep me warm, play the music I want through speakers, and smell of whatever air freshner I've got in - and take less than half the time. 

Further, myself and majority of the people I know have a reasonably large chunk of mobile data per month so WiFi - which isn't always straightforward to get onto in the first place - becomes obsolete. Plugs, when they work, are handy but who's taking a USB cable with them on an evening out? Surely you stick your phone on charge while getting changed etc from work, and as most phones have quick charging these days that's you up to 50%+ in about half an hour. 

Tables are nice, but again, if there's 4/5 of you are you really going to choose the bus over a car if someone is willing to not drink for one evening? There's also the possibility of tables not being available, people listening in on conversations, someone wanting the window open in the middle of December etc...
mb134
21 Feb 2020, 6:14 pm #1,234

(21 Feb 2020, 5:46 pm)Andreos1 I think those two bib highlight exactly what the issue is. 

I'm reasonably out of touch with parking charges in the NE, though last I remember Newcastle was free after 5?

Up in Aberdeen the main shopping centre is a flat £1.50 after 18:00, with many other parking places free after 19:00. First sell an "evening ticket" for £3 after 19:00 - no real use to anyone with a car as parking is cheaper and the distance First cover nobody is realistically paying more than £1.50 in petrol (bar one route). I guess the hope for bus companies is that people want to have a drink, which rules the car out completely. Then, however, they need to be priced considerably less than a Taxi and be reasonably convenient. 

There is no bus from where I live down home to the Metrocentre, I'd have to change at Haymarket/Eldon Square onto another operator - taking my bus fare to nearly £10. In comparison on that journey my car will do about 45mpg, keep me warm, play the music I want through speakers, and smell of whatever air freshner I've got in - and take less than half the time. 

Further, myself and majority of the people I know have a reasonably large chunk of mobile data per month so WiFi - which isn't always straightforward to get onto in the first place - becomes obsolete. Plugs, when they work, are handy but who's taking a USB cable with them on an evening out? Surely you stick your phone on charge while getting changed etc from work, and as most phones have quick charging these days that's you up to 50%+ in about half an hour. 

Tables are nice, but again, if there's 4/5 of you are you really going to choose the bus over a car if someone is willing to not drink for one evening? There's also the possibility of tables not being available, people listening in on conversations, someone wanting the window open in the middle of December etc...

21 Feb 2020, 6:28 pm #1,235
(21 Feb 2020, 6:04 pm)Andreos1 Mines a decent sized car too. 

We were looking at getting a new one (we were looking at the Outlander PHEV, or a newer X-Trail), but for what we use it for the inside would get wrecked within the week, plus cars seem to be getting bigger on the outside but smaller on the inside! Plus, 38mpg (45-50 on the motorway) isn't really too bad.

(21 Feb 2020, 6:14 pm)mb134 I'm reasonably out of touch with parking charges in the NE, though last I remember Newcastle was free after 5?

Up here the main shopping centre is a flat £1.50 after 18:00, with many other parking places free after 19:00. First sell an "evening ticket" for £3 after 19:00 - no real use to anyone with a car as parking is cheaper and the distance First cover nobody is realistically paying more than £1.50 in petrol (bar one route). I guess the hope for bus companies is that people want to have a drink, which rules the car out completely. Then, however, they need to be priced considerably less than a Taxi and be reasonably convenient. 

I suppose it really depends where you live. GNE have quite a few 'long distance' routes direct to the centre of Newcastle so the evening ticket is often cheaper than the single during the day. If you live near the city centre, it doesn't make sense, if you live out in the sticks, then it does!

Plus, if there's a group of 4, it's only £6.50 which like I said, is a pretty good price (assuming they all get on and off at the same stop)
streetdeckfan
21 Feb 2020, 6:28 pm #1,235

(21 Feb 2020, 6:04 pm)Andreos1 Mines a decent sized car too. 

We were looking at getting a new one (we were looking at the Outlander PHEV, or a newer X-Trail), but for what we use it for the inside would get wrecked within the week, plus cars seem to be getting bigger on the outside but smaller on the inside! Plus, 38mpg (45-50 on the motorway) isn't really too bad.

(21 Feb 2020, 6:14 pm)mb134 I'm reasonably out of touch with parking charges in the NE, though last I remember Newcastle was free after 5?

Up here the main shopping centre is a flat £1.50 after 18:00, with many other parking places free after 19:00. First sell an "evening ticket" for £3 after 19:00 - no real use to anyone with a car as parking is cheaper and the distance First cover nobody is realistically paying more than £1.50 in petrol (bar one route). I guess the hope for bus companies is that people want to have a drink, which rules the car out completely. Then, however, they need to be priced considerably less than a Taxi and be reasonably convenient. 

I suppose it really depends where you live. GNE have quite a few 'long distance' routes direct to the centre of Newcastle so the evening ticket is often cheaper than the single during the day. If you live near the city centre, it doesn't make sense, if you live out in the sticks, then it does!

Plus, if there's a group of 4, it's only £6.50 which like I said, is a pretty good price (assuming they all get on and off at the same stop)

Andreos1

21 Feb 2020, 6:33 pm #1,236

Yeah, the Alive after 5 deal is still on. I've seen a fair few operator representatives complaining about the free parking. 
I was fortunate in that the Alive after 5 scheme started not too long after GNE axed the direct bus from Newcastle.

Andreos1
21 Feb 2020, 6:33 pm #1,236

Yeah, the Alive after 5 deal is still on. I've seen a fair few operator representatives complaining about the free parking. 
I was fortunate in that the Alive after 5 scheme started not too long after GNE axed the direct bus from Newcastle.

mb134

21 Feb 2020, 6:41 pm #1,237
(21 Feb 2020, 6:33 pm)Andreos1 Yeah, the Alive after 5 deal is still on. I've seen a fair few operator representatives complaining about the free parking. 

Slightly off topic but this is what councils need to put a stop to if they're wanting to lower city centre emissions. Assuming on an evening families etc are using the car parking and have cars of 3/4 people, one double decker could take 20 cars off the road. 

If people are wanting to be in town on an evening, they'll still get into town - be it paying for parking or getting a bus.
mb134
21 Feb 2020, 6:41 pm #1,237

(21 Feb 2020, 6:33 pm)Andreos1 Yeah, the Alive after 5 deal is still on. I've seen a fair few operator representatives complaining about the free parking. 

Slightly off topic but this is what councils need to put a stop to if they're wanting to lower city centre emissions. Assuming on an evening families etc are using the car parking and have cars of 3/4 people, one double decker could take 20 cars off the road. 

If people are wanting to be in town on an evening, they'll still get into town - be it paying for parking or getting a bus.

Andreos1

21 Feb 2020, 6:46 pm #1,238
(21 Feb 2020, 6:41 pm)mb134 Slightly off topic but this is what councils need to put a stop to if they're wanting to lower city centre emissions. Assuming on an evening families etc are using the car parking and have cars of 3/4 people, one double decker could take 20 cars off the road. 

Assuming they can get a bus...
If they can't, then they either continue driving in or find an alternative.

Andreos1
21 Feb 2020, 6:46 pm #1,238

(21 Feb 2020, 6:41 pm)mb134 Slightly off topic but this is what councils need to put a stop to if they're wanting to lower city centre emissions. Assuming on an evening families etc are using the car parking and have cars of 3/4 people, one double decker could take 20 cars off the road. 

Assuming they can get a bus...

mb134

21 Feb 2020, 7:07 pm #1,239
(21 Feb 2020, 6:46 pm)Andreos1 Assuming they can get a bus...
Indeed. 

The annoying thing is that public transport doesn't need to be too jazzy for people to use it. I frequently go to Norway where on the whole buses aren't painted in hugely eye-catching liveries, but are reliable, comfortable and reasonably priced. The few times I've used the buses there on an evening they've had very decent loads, and through the daytime I can't remember ever getting a bus that's had less than 10 or so people. 

An example of the simplistic liveries:

https://twitter.com/alextransdev/status/...67268?s=19
mb134
21 Feb 2020, 7:07 pm #1,239

(21 Feb 2020, 6:46 pm)Andreos1 Assuming they can get a bus...
Indeed. 

The annoying thing is that public transport doesn't need to be too jazzy for people to use it. I frequently go to Norway where on the whole buses aren't painted in hugely eye-catching liveries, but are reliable, comfortable and reasonably priced. The few times I've used the buses there on an evening they've had very decent loads, and through the daytime I can't remember ever getting a bus that's had less than 10 or so people. 

Andreos1

21 Feb 2020, 7:45 pm #1,240
(21 Feb 2020, 7:07 pm)mb134 Indeed. 

I agree.
Been to Norway a few times myself and although I've not been to the areas served by Kolumbus, I know there's a lot of local authority involvement (or their version of it) and integration between ferry, rail and bus is something we could learn a lot from.

From what I've seen, it's similar in Denmark (or at least in some areas) and although it's a long, long time since I was in Sweden, I imagine it's similar there too.

Andreos1
21 Feb 2020, 7:45 pm #1,240

(21 Feb 2020, 7:07 pm)mb134 Indeed. 

I agree.
Been to Norway a few times myself and although I've not been to the areas served by Kolumbus, I know there's a lot of local authority involvement (or their version of it) and integration between ferry, rail and bus is something we could learn a lot from.

From what I've seen, it's similar in Denmark (or at least in some areas) and although it's a long, long time since I was in Sweden, I imagine it's similar there too.

Pages (89) Previous 161 62 6389 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average