Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Pricing

Pricing

Pricing

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (89) Previous 187 88 89 Next
Rob44

26 Sep 2023, 7:42 am #1,741
(26 Sep 2023, 7:36 am)Adrian If they didn't, someone would probably be on here complaining that they refused to carry passengers who only had card as a means of payment.

I'm not sure what else they could do in this scenario. It's not ideal, as you either leave people behind and spend time dealing with complaints, take the bus out of service and still deal with complaints, or carry them for free and get them moving to their destination.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

I agree some of what your saying but you talking 24 quid hes not taking in just 15 minutes..... and not even asking if they have cash?  On stagecoach inst there a sign to say if the card machine inst working you need to find another means of payment?  I always car a couple of quid for this exact issue.
Rob44
26 Sep 2023, 7:42 am #1,741

(26 Sep 2023, 7:36 am)Adrian If they didn't, someone would probably be on here complaining that they refused to carry passengers who only had card as a means of payment.

I'm not sure what else they could do in this scenario. It's not ideal, as you either leave people behind and spend time dealing with complaints, take the bus out of service and still deal with complaints, or carry them for free and get them moving to their destination.

I agree some of what your saying but you talking 24 quid hes not taking in just 15 minutes..... and not even asking if they have cash?  On stagecoach inst there a sign to say if the card machine inst working you need to find another means of payment?  I always car a couple of quid for this exact issue.

Adrian

26 Sep 2023, 7:45 am #1,742
(26 Sep 2023, 7:42 am)Rob44 I agree some of what your saying but you talking 24 quid hes not taking in just 15 minutes..... and not even asking if they have cash?  On stagecoach inst there a sign to say if the card machine inst working you need to find another means of payment?  I always car a couple of quid for this exact issue.
Most people don't, I'd suspect. I could count on one hand the amount of times I've used a cash point in the last couple of years.

Didn't know about Stagecoach having a sign, but that's a poor show on their part. It's not like a shop, where you can come back later if their payment terminal isn't working, you're potentially leaving someone stood waiting up to an hour or more with a bus.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
26 Sep 2023, 7:45 am #1,742

(26 Sep 2023, 7:42 am)Rob44 I agree some of what your saying but you talking 24 quid hes not taking in just 15 minutes..... and not even asking if they have cash?  On stagecoach inst there a sign to say if the card machine inst working you need to find another means of payment?  I always car a couple of quid for this exact issue.
Most people don't, I'd suspect. I could count on one hand the amount of times I've used a cash point in the last couple of years.

Didn't know about Stagecoach having a sign, but that's a poor show on their part. It's not like a shop, where you can come back later if their payment terminal isn't working, you're potentially leaving someone stood waiting up to an hour or more with a bus.

morritt89

26 Sep 2023, 10:29 am #1,743
It's a tough one. Ideally you should ask going by the guidelines but if they say no, then good customer service would be to let them travel anyway so they have a positive experience rather than leave them for the next bus which could have a similar issue.

However, drivers aren't supposed to put themselves in danger and if you tell someone they can't travel due to a ticket machine fault, their reaction could turn a situation with a simple outcome into something more serious.

Surely the free travel should be incentive enough for the company to get the ticket machine changed over?

Slightly unrelated note, what happened to revenue inspection teams? Did these die out with Covid or is it a cost cutting exercise?
morritt89
26 Sep 2023, 10:29 am #1,743

It's a tough one. Ideally you should ask going by the guidelines but if they say no, then good customer service would be to let them travel anyway so they have a positive experience rather than leave them for the next bus which could have a similar issue.

However, drivers aren't supposed to put themselves in danger and if you tell someone they can't travel due to a ticket machine fault, their reaction could turn a situation with a simple outcome into something more serious.

Surely the free travel should be incentive enough for the company to get the ticket machine changed over?

Slightly unrelated note, what happened to revenue inspection teams? Did these die out with Covid or is it a cost cutting exercise?

Ambassador

26 Sep 2023, 10:41 am #1,744
This happens pretty regularly on the Angel - they normally swap the ticket machine at Gateshead heading into town but the drivers without question just to tell people to get on. Even when people have offered cash they wave them on

it's one of the better customer service examples (actually the only one) from GNE

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
26 Sep 2023, 10:41 am #1,744

This happens pretty regularly on the Angel - they normally swap the ticket machine at Gateshead heading into town but the drivers without question just to tell people to get on. Even when people have offered cash they wave them on

it's one of the better customer service examples (actually the only one) from GNE

Rob44

26 Sep 2023, 10:59 am #1,745
(26 Sep 2023, 10:41 am)Ambassador This happens pretty regularly on the Angel - they normally swap the ticket machine at Gateshead heading into town but the drivers without question just to tell people to get on. Even when people have offered cash they wave them on

maybe for the person getting on for nowt.  If the bus was in an accident would they be insured with not having a valid ticket btw??
Rob44
26 Sep 2023, 10:59 am #1,745

(26 Sep 2023, 10:41 am)Ambassador This happens pretty regularly on the Angel - they normally swap the ticket machine at Gateshead heading into town but the drivers without question just to tell people to get on. Even when people have offered cash they wave them on

maybe for the person getting on for nowt.  If the bus was in an accident would they be insured with not having a valid ticket btw??

RM2186

27 Sep 2023, 7:26 am #1,746
I think the Stagecoach sign is more aimed at people that get on, attempt to use their card when they have zero funds available and it of course fails.

I have seen this many times in Teesside and miraculously they find the cash or get a friend to pay either cash or card.
RM2186
27 Sep 2023, 7:26 am #1,746

I think the Stagecoach sign is more aimed at people that get on, attempt to use their card when they have zero funds available and it of course fails.

I have seen this many times in Teesside and miraculously they find the cash or get a friend to pay either cash or card.

F114TML

27 Sep 2023, 8:18 am #1,747
Yup. Here is that sign (or at least a version of it), found in most SC buses
[Image: 20230927_091618.jpg]
F114TML
27 Sep 2023, 8:18 am #1,747

Yup. Here is that sign (or at least a version of it), found in most SC buses

27 Sep 2023, 11:27 am #1,748

Yeah, I travelled from Tindale to Newcastle for free on the X21 because the card reader wasn't working, I had the £2 for the fare in my had, the driver saw and said "if you're paying by card the reader isn't working so I can't charge you"
streetdeckfan
27 Sep 2023, 11:27 am #1,748

Yeah, I travelled from Tindale to Newcastle for free on the X21 because the card reader wasn't working, I had the £2 for the fare in my had, the driver saw and said "if you're paying by card the reader isn't working so I can't charge you"

Unber43

27 Sep 2023, 4:51 pm #1,749
(27 Sep 2023, 8:18 am)F114TML Yup. Here is that sign (or at least a version of it), found in most SC buses
I read that as you contactless payment hasn't worked you must provide alternative payment
Unber43
27 Sep 2023, 4:51 pm #1,749

(27 Sep 2023, 8:18 am)F114TML Yup. Here is that sign (or at least a version of it), found in most SC buses
I read that as you contactless payment hasn't worked you must provide alternative payment

F114TML

27 Sep 2023, 6:05 pm #1,750
(27 Sep 2023, 4:51 pm)Unber43 I read that as you contactless payment hasn't worked you must provide alternative payment

Correct. We give 3 or 4 chances, if the card declines each time, then you need to pay by alternative means (purchase a ticket on the app, or put some money on the desk). The policy isn't strictly enforced at all times (last buses, for example), or by all drivers - we're told to use common sense etc. Because of this you get some really amusing ones who tell you it happens every time and still hope to get a free ride...
F114TML
27 Sep 2023, 6:05 pm #1,750

(27 Sep 2023, 4:51 pm)Unber43 I read that as you contactless payment hasn't worked you must provide alternative payment

Correct. We give 3 or 4 chances, if the card declines each time, then you need to pay by alternative means (purchase a ticket on the app, or put some money on the desk). The policy isn't strictly enforced at all times (last buses, for example), or by all drivers - we're told to use common sense etc. Because of this you get some really amusing ones who tell you it happens every time and still hope to get a free ride...

Adrian

27 Sep 2023, 9:54 pm #1,751
(27 Sep 2023, 6:05 pm)F114TML Correct. We give 3 or 4 chances, if the card declines each time, then you need to pay by alternative means (purchase a ticket on the app, or put some money on the desk). The policy isn't strictly enforced at all times (last buses, for example), or by all drivers - we're told to use common sense etc. Because of this you get some really amusing ones who tell you it happens every time and still hope to get a free ride...
I take it this is for individual failed payments rather than say an issue with the ticket machine? As was what Rob reported initially. If there's a ticket machine issue, it's going to be more hassle than it's worth, trying to tell people they'll have to wait for the next one. Bus would end up massively delayed from arguing the toss at every other stop!

I think for individual failed payments, giving 3 or 4 chances is generous. Most shops would try a second time, then ask you to try a second card.

Adrian
27 Sep 2023, 9:54 pm #1,751

(27 Sep 2023, 6:05 pm)F114TML Correct. We give 3 or 4 chances, if the card declines each time, then you need to pay by alternative means (purchase a ticket on the app, or put some money on the desk). The policy isn't strictly enforced at all times (last buses, for example), or by all drivers - we're told to use common sense etc. Because of this you get some really amusing ones who tell you it happens every time and still hope to get a free ride...
I take it this is for individual failed payments rather than say an issue with the ticket machine? As was what Rob reported initially. If there's a ticket machine issue, it's going to be more hassle than it's worth, trying to tell people they'll have to wait for the next one. Bus would end up massively delayed from arguing the toss at every other stop!

I think for individual failed payments, giving 3 or 4 chances is generous. Most shops would try a second time, then ask you to try a second card.

F114TML

28 Sep 2023, 8:22 am #1,752
(27 Sep 2023, 9:54 pm)Adrian I take it this is for individual failed payments  rather than say an issue with the ticket machine? As was what Rob reported initially. If there's a ticket machine issue, it's going to be more hassle than it's worth, trying to tell people they'll have to wait for the next one. Bus would end up massively delayed from arguing the toss at every other stop!

Yeah that is individually. I don't think there is a policy on broken ETMs but I just wave everyone on, and get it changed at the earliest opportunity (easy for our routes given they're relatively short)
F114TML
28 Sep 2023, 8:22 am #1,752

(27 Sep 2023, 9:54 pm)Adrian I take it this is for individual failed payments  rather than say an issue with the ticket machine? As was what Rob reported initially. If there's a ticket machine issue, it's going to be more hassle than it's worth, trying to tell people they'll have to wait for the next one. Bus would end up massively delayed from arguing the toss at every other stop!

Yeah that is individually. I don't think there is a policy on broken ETMs but I just wave everyone on, and get it changed at the earliest opportunity (easy for our routes given they're relatively short)

Adrian

29 Sep 2023, 5:31 pm #1,753
Having seen that Stagecoach and Arriva are offering pretty much a LA7 wide acceptance of GNE tickets during the strike action, I found it laughable how they're able to deliver it seemingly at the drop of a hat, yet we've been waiting months and months now for this TNE Day Ticket to be released.

It's not just that, though. This is something, especially in County Durham, that has been requested for years. It's always been met with excuses, competition commission won't like it, etc. But what do you know? Delivered within less than a fortnight!

Maybe this highlights once again, that it's protecting one's own interests at the expense of the customers.

Adrian
29 Sep 2023, 5:31 pm #1,753

Having seen that Stagecoach and Arriva are offering pretty much a LA7 wide acceptance of GNE tickets during the strike action, I found it laughable how they're able to deliver it seemingly at the drop of a hat, yet we've been waiting months and months now for this TNE Day Ticket to be released.

It's not just that, though. This is something, especially in County Durham, that has been requested for years. It's always been met with excuses, competition commission won't like it, etc. But what do you know? Delivered within less than a fortnight!

Maybe this highlights once again, that it's protecting one's own interests at the expense of the customers.

Storx

29 Sep 2023, 6:31 pm #1,754
(29 Sep 2023, 5:31 pm)Adrian Having seen that Stagecoach and Arriva are offering pretty much a LA7 wide acceptance of GNE tickets during the strike action, I found it laughable how they're able to deliver it seemingly at the drop of a hat, yet we've been waiting months and months now for this TNE Day Ticket to be released.

The Arriva ones are interesting as it doesn't cover Peterlee to Sunderland for some reason.

I don't know what Arriva / Stagecoach's intentions are but it'll be interesting to see if GNE are paying them to accept them or whether both are using it as an opportunity to poach some customers. The accepting corridors of both, in particular, seem to be very protecting of wiping out all of the GNE North Tyneside routes as they're all pretty much covered now by either the Metro or bus via some route.
Storx
29 Sep 2023, 6:31 pm #1,754

(29 Sep 2023, 5:31 pm)Adrian Having seen that Stagecoach and Arriva are offering pretty much a LA7 wide acceptance of GNE tickets during the strike action, I found it laughable how they're able to deliver it seemingly at the drop of a hat, yet we've been waiting months and months now for this TNE Day Ticket to be released.

The Arriva ones are interesting as it doesn't cover Peterlee to Sunderland for some reason.

I don't know what Arriva / Stagecoach's intentions are but it'll be interesting to see if GNE are paying them to accept them or whether both are using it as an opportunity to poach some customers. The accepting corridors of both, in particular, seem to be very protecting of wiping out all of the GNE North Tyneside routes as they're all pretty much covered now by either the Metro or bus via some route.

Ambassador

30 Sep 2023, 12:00 am #1,755
(29 Sep 2023, 6:31 pm)Storx The Arriva ones are interesting as it doesn't cover Peterlee to Sunderland for some reason.

I doubt GNE are paying. I’d say it’s commercial opportunism and I welcome it, we don’t see enough of it!

Ambassador
30 Sep 2023, 12:00 am #1,755

(29 Sep 2023, 6:31 pm)Storx The Arriva ones are interesting as it doesn't cover Peterlee to Sunderland for some reason.

I doubt GNE are paying. I’d say it’s commercial opportunism and I welcome it, we don’t see enough of it!

Storx

30 Sep 2023, 7:26 am #1,756
(30 Sep 2023, 12:00 am)Ambassador I doubt GNE are paying. I’d say it’s commercial opportunism and I welcome it, we don’t see enough of it!

Aye that's my thoughts aswell, to be fair. Was just protecting myself from someone coming along and saying GNE are paying for it and it's a load of shite Angel
Storx
30 Sep 2023, 7:26 am #1,756

(30 Sep 2023, 12:00 am)Ambassador I doubt GNE are paying. I’d say it’s commercial opportunism and I welcome it, we don’t see enough of it!

Aye that's my thoughts aswell, to be fair. Was just protecting myself from someone coming along and saying GNE are paying for it and it's a load of shite Angel

RobinHood

30 Sep 2023, 8:19 pm #1,757

They aren't actually doing anything though, except accepting GNE season tickets as a 'flash pass'. Its literally something they can do with 10 minutes notice.

Also, the issue with the new TNE day ticket (or lack of) is actually not the fault of the operators, ironically. Its the politics and bureaucracy holding it up (shock horror).
A Bus Service Improvement Plan funded scheme, but politicians and leaders insist that Metro needs to be part of it. DfT refuse BSIP funding to go to Metro, so stalemate occurs. The operators are ready and the start date has been pushed back three times now due to this Metro issue.
RobinHood
30 Sep 2023, 8:19 pm #1,757

They aren't actually doing anything though, except accepting GNE season tickets as a 'flash pass'. Its literally something they can do with 10 minutes notice.

Also, the issue with the new TNE day ticket (or lack of) is actually not the fault of the operators, ironically. Its the politics and bureaucracy holding it up (shock horror).
A Bus Service Improvement Plan funded scheme, but politicians and leaders insist that Metro needs to be part of it. DfT refuse BSIP funding to go to Metro, so stalemate occurs. The operators are ready and the start date has been pushed back three times now due to this Metro issue.

Adrian

30 Sep 2023, 9:21 pm #1,758
(30 Sep 2023, 8:19 pm)RobinHood They aren't actually doing anything though, except accepting GNE season tickets as a 'flash pass'. Its literally something they can do with 10 minutes notice.

My point is that it's interesting how quick it can be done, if it's in the operators' interests to do so.

Regarding the TNE day ticket, whilst there's been some delay due to the democratic process, it's not entirely accurate to state it's all on TNE. From the reports and minutes I've read, it appears that the scheme reimbursement was proposed to a subsequent meeting, to be more favourable towards the operators? I'd written about it in the BSIP thread at the time.

Adrian
30 Sep 2023, 9:21 pm #1,758

(30 Sep 2023, 8:19 pm)RobinHood They aren't actually doing anything though, except accepting GNE season tickets as a 'flash pass'. Its literally something they can do with 10 minutes notice.

My point is that it's interesting how quick it can be done, if it's in the operators' interests to do so.

Regarding the TNE day ticket, whilst there's been some delay due to the democratic process, it's not entirely accurate to state it's all on TNE. From the reports and minutes I've read, it appears that the scheme reimbursement was proposed to a subsequent meeting, to be more favourable towards the operators? I'd written about it in the BSIP thread at the time.

10 Oct 2023, 3:28 pm #1,759
(27 Sep 2023, 7:26 am)RM2186 I think the Stagecoach sign is more aimed at people that get on, attempt to use their card when they have zero funds available and it of course fails.

Contactless declines mainly because it's been used as contactless for a number of times and you haven't used the PIN number for quite a while. This is one of many reasons. The company don't collect the payment until the end of the day (roughly just after midnight) so it's not declined because of funds in your bank.
Retro Nero
10 Oct 2023, 3:28 pm #1,759

(27 Sep 2023, 7:26 am)RM2186 I think the Stagecoach sign is more aimed at people that get on, attempt to use their card when they have zero funds available and it of course fails.

Contactless declines mainly because it's been used as contactless for a number of times and you haven't used the PIN number for quite a while. This is one of many reasons. The company don't collect the payment until the end of the day (roughly just after midnight) so it's not declined because of funds in your bank.

F114TML

10 Oct 2023, 5:59 pm #1,760
The Vix machines don't even look at funds. It's the bank that rejects it I believe.
F114TML
10 Oct 2023, 5:59 pm #1,760

The Vix machines don't even look at funds. It's the bank that rejects it I believe.

Pages (89) Previous 187 88 89 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average