Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Gateshead Sunderland Road Bus Link

Gateshead Sunderland Road Bus Link

Gateshead Sunderland Road Bus Link

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6) Previous 1 2 3 46 Next
F114TML

08 Apr 2022, 11:03 am #41
(08 Apr 2022, 9:55 am)Storx The biggest problem with the Tyne Bridge traffic is it seems that no-one has actually bothered to see where the traffic is going. 

You could put a P&R every 0.5 mile going to Newcastle and Gateshead. The catch-22 is the majority of the traffic going over the Tyne Bridge is likely to be travelling from the likes of Byker, Wallsend and Walker towards the Metro Centre and Team Valley or alternatively from Bensham, Saltwell, Teams towards Cobalt and Quorum.
There is a journey on the 91 from Battle Hill area to Team Valley, via Wallsend, Walker and Byker that people could use.

Provided they're prepared to get up at about 4.30am to catch it. Also there's no return trip.
Never understood the point of these kind of routes - do they just exist to suck up subsidy money from the council at minimal cost? Would be very surprised if that journey carts round much more than fresh air.
F114TML
08 Apr 2022, 11:03 am #41

(08 Apr 2022, 9:55 am)Storx The biggest problem with the Tyne Bridge traffic is it seems that no-one has actually bothered to see where the traffic is going. 

You could put a P&R every 0.5 mile going to Newcastle and Gateshead. The catch-22 is the majority of the traffic going over the Tyne Bridge is likely to be travelling from the likes of Byker, Wallsend and Walker towards the Metro Centre and Team Valley or alternatively from Bensham, Saltwell, Teams towards Cobalt and Quorum.
There is a journey on the 91 from Battle Hill area to Team Valley, via Wallsend, Walker and Byker that people could use.

Provided they're prepared to get up at about 4.30am to catch it. Also there's no return trip.
Never understood the point of these kind of routes - do they just exist to suck up subsidy money from the council at minimal cost? Would be very surprised if that journey carts round much more than fresh air.

F114TML

08 Apr 2022, 12:03 pm #42
(08 Apr 2022, 8:58 am)omnicity4659 It's all well and good having a bus lane that lets 5 people get there 10 minutes before everyone else, but what about the other 100 people in that queue who couldn't get on that bus because it's too expensive, they didn't know it was going to turn up...or doesn't even run from where they live!
For me, I've calculated going to uni today has cost me between £3.47 - £3.81 in petrol (25 mile round trip, and the car says I do 40-44MPG on average), plus £1.30 parking (total approx £4.77 - £5.11).

The bus costs £3.20 return (free travel on the 700s - would've been £4.10 for day ticket if not; don't trust mobile tickets). I only drove because I needed to get to my flat ASAP before going in to uni.

Might not be true in all cases but I'm willing to bet for most it's currently much cheaper to get the bus (provided some people can get their head out their arse and be prepared to change buses/trains). Of course, not the be all and end all - there are obvious problems with driver shortages. We also need to sort out ticketing (or rather, when was the last time you saw the Network One tickets promoted?)

"Simplified range" and in most cases only applicable to one company.
[Image: unknown.png]
F114TML
08 Apr 2022, 12:03 pm #42

(08 Apr 2022, 8:58 am)omnicity4659 It's all well and good having a bus lane that lets 5 people get there 10 minutes before everyone else, but what about the other 100 people in that queue who couldn't get on that bus because it's too expensive, they didn't know it was going to turn up...or doesn't even run from where they live!
For me, I've calculated going to uni today has cost me between £3.47 - £3.81 in petrol (25 mile round trip, and the car says I do 40-44MPG on average), plus £1.30 parking (total approx £4.77 - £5.11).

The bus costs £3.20 return (free travel on the 700s - would've been £4.10 for day ticket if not; don't trust mobile tickets). I only drove because I needed to get to my flat ASAP before going in to uni.

Might not be true in all cases but I'm willing to bet for most it's currently much cheaper to get the bus (provided some people can get their head out their arse and be prepared to change buses/trains). Of course, not the be all and end all - there are obvious problems with driver shortages. We also need to sort out ticketing (or rather, when was the last time you saw the Network One tickets promoted?)

08 Apr 2022, 12:44 pm #43
(08 Apr 2022, 10:51 am)ne14ne1 So you’re saying prioritise those rich enough to have a car?
What about the many areas of low income where people cannot afford to buy a car, tax and insure it, fuel it and park it, and therefore have no option but to use public transport. 

Where you getting your figures from too?
Public transport should be prioritised when a larger majority of people use it and when the measures will be well used.

The cost of using public transport often goes beyond that of just ticket prices. Lots of low paid jobs now have 5am starts or midnight finishes, buses don't start for hours after that in some places, regardless of how close they are to major towns and cities. Often this means working less to accommodate bus times, and being paid less or not at all.

Figures were taken from a recent document published, I'm not too sure which one but it was posted somewhere on here a couple of months back.

(08 Apr 2022, 12:03 pm)F114TML For me, I've calculated going to uni today has cost me between £3.47 - £3.81 in petrol (25 mile round trip, and the car says I do 40-44MPG on average), plus £1.30 parking (total approx £4.77 - £5.11).

Go North East have some very good prices but of course the region is bigger than just Tyne and Wear where they focus their best offering.
omnicity4659
08 Apr 2022, 12:44 pm #43

(08 Apr 2022, 10:51 am)ne14ne1 So you’re saying prioritise those rich enough to have a car?
What about the many areas of low income where people cannot afford to buy a car, tax and insure it, fuel it and park it, and therefore have no option but to use public transport. 

Where you getting your figures from too?
Public transport should be prioritised when a larger majority of people use it and when the measures will be well used.

The cost of using public transport often goes beyond that of just ticket prices. Lots of low paid jobs now have 5am starts or midnight finishes, buses don't start for hours after that in some places, regardless of how close they are to major towns and cities. Often this means working less to accommodate bus times, and being paid less or not at all.

Figures were taken from a recent document published, I'm not too sure which one but it was posted somewhere on here a couple of months back.

(08 Apr 2022, 12:03 pm)F114TML For me, I've calculated going to uni today has cost me between £3.47 - £3.81 in petrol (25 mile round trip, and the car says I do 40-44MPG on average), plus £1.30 parking (total approx £4.77 - £5.11).

Go North East have some very good prices but of course the region is bigger than just Tyne and Wear where they focus their best offering.

Storx

08 Apr 2022, 1:47 pm #44
(08 Apr 2022, 11:03 am)F114TML There is a journey on the 91 from Battle Hill area to Team Valley, via Wallsend, Walker and Byker that people could use.

Never knew that even ran still tbh. I'm guessing it's the board ran by Percy Main.
Storx
08 Apr 2022, 1:47 pm #44

(08 Apr 2022, 11:03 am)F114TML There is a journey on the 91 from Battle Hill area to Team Valley, via Wallsend, Walker and Byker that people could use.

Never knew that even ran still tbh. I'm guessing it's the board ran by Percy Main.

08 Apr 2022, 5:50 pm #45

I used to use the 91 between High Farm to Central until I started to drive a couple of years back and it was actually quite well used especially when you got to Walker / Byker. I think its main use is for Team Valley Royal Mail staff to get in for shifts but it was really useful to myself especially as it ran earlier than any of the normal service buses (even Transport staff need transport to get to work). Coming back home its not an issue for anyone to do as its just one change and plenty of ways home.

Usage may have changed with Covid but it definitely wasn't the fresh air carrier its made out to be
anvil1984
08 Apr 2022, 5:50 pm #45

I used to use the 91 between High Farm to Central until I started to drive a couple of years back and it was actually quite well used especially when you got to Walker / Byker. I think its main use is for Team Valley Royal Mail staff to get in for shifts but it was really useful to myself especially as it ran earlier than any of the normal service buses (even Transport staff need transport to get to work). Coming back home its not an issue for anyone to do as its just one change and plenty of ways home.

Usage may have changed with Covid but it definitely wasn't the fresh air carrier its made out to be

F114TML

08 Apr 2022, 7:20 pm #46
(08 Apr 2022, 5:50 pm)anvil1984 I used to use the 91 between High Farm to Central until I started to drive a couple of years back and it was actually quite well used especially when you got to Walker / Byker. I think its main use is for Team Valley Royal Mail staff to get in for shifts but it was really useful to myself especially as it ran earlier than any of the normal service buses (even Transport staff need transport to get to work). Coming back home its not an issue for anyone to do as its just one change and plenty of ways home.

Interesting. I shall retract my 'fresh air' comments in that case but I do think they should at least try extending most/all journeys on the 91 into the Battle Hill/Percy Main area.
F114TML
08 Apr 2022, 7:20 pm #46

(08 Apr 2022, 5:50 pm)anvil1984 I used to use the 91 between High Farm to Central until I started to drive a couple of years back and it was actually quite well used especially when you got to Walker / Byker. I think its main use is for Team Valley Royal Mail staff to get in for shifts but it was really useful to myself especially as it ran earlier than any of the normal service buses (even Transport staff need transport to get to work). Coming back home its not an issue for anyone to do as its just one change and plenty of ways home.

Interesting. I shall retract my 'fresh air' comments in that case but I do think they should at least try extending most/all journeys on the 91 into the Battle Hill/Percy Main area.

Andreos1

08 Apr 2022, 9:11 pm #47

Ditto the later morning 91's.
Tried them a couple of times when doing some work at TVTE four or five years back. Picked it up from the Odeon and there was always a decent load there and Market St.

They tried it commercially circa late 2000's using Team Valley Dipper branded DAF's, running most of the day. It didn't work.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dearingbuspix/18205523142

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
08 Apr 2022, 9:11 pm #47

Ditto the later morning 91's.
Tried them a couple of times when doing some work at TVTE four or five years back. Picked it up from the Odeon and there was always a decent load there and Market St.

They tried it commercially circa late 2000's using Team Valley Dipper branded DAF's, running most of the day. It didn't work.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dearingbuspix/18205523142

Thomas12

09 Apr 2022, 9:13 am #48
(08 Apr 2022, 1:47 pm)Storx Never knew that even ran still tbh. I'm guessing it's the board ran by Percy Main.

Yeah, since the changes it uses a Coaster Streetlite and runs onto the 1 at Gateshead.
Thomas12
09 Apr 2022, 9:13 am #48

(08 Apr 2022, 1:47 pm)Storx Never knew that even ran still tbh. I'm guessing it's the board ran by Percy Main.

Yeah, since the changes it uses a Coaster Streetlite and runs onto the 1 at Gateshead.

Train8261

09 Apr 2022, 9:19 am #49
(09 Apr 2022, 9:13 am)Thomas12 Yeah, since the changes it uses a Coaster Streetlite and runs onto the 1 at Gateshead.
Used to be allocated a decker which did another 91 run then ran light to Byker to start the 18A Scholars
Train8261
09 Apr 2022, 9:19 am #49

(09 Apr 2022, 9:13 am)Thomas12 Yeah, since the changes it uses a Coaster Streetlite and runs onto the 1 at Gateshead.
Used to be allocated a decker which did another 91 run then ran light to Byker to start the 18A Scholars

Wybus

14 Apr 2022, 7:55 pm #50
Is said link road now open, as it looked finished a few weeks ago?

Has it really been built just for the 27, it seems a tad over the top for one bus route?
Wybus
14 Apr 2022, 7:55 pm #50

Is said link road now open, as it looked finished a few weeks ago?

Has it really been built just for the 27, it seems a tad over the top for one bus route?

F114TML

14 Apr 2022, 9:30 pm #51
Would it be quicker for the routes going from the High Street onto Old Durham Road to use it compared to their current route.
F114TML
14 Apr 2022, 9:30 pm #51

Would it be quicker for the routes going from the High Street onto Old Durham Road to use it compared to their current route.

busmanT

15 Apr 2022, 10:05 am #52
(14 Apr 2022, 7:55 pm)Wybus Is said link road now open, as it looked finished a few weeks ago?

I think there was, many moons ago, a plan for the Old Durham Road routes to use it, certainly heading south.

Would provide a useful link to ALDI from these areas.
busmanT
15 Apr 2022, 10:05 am #52

(14 Apr 2022, 7:55 pm)Wybus Is said link road now open, as it looked finished a few weeks ago?

I think there was, many moons ago, a plan for the Old Durham Road routes to use it, certainly heading south.

Would provide a useful link to ALDI from these areas.

Andreos1

15 Apr 2022, 10:11 am #53

There's the bus gate on the A184 at Wardley and there's not much goes through there either.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/RCq42zr5SRFAUe8v7

Andreos1
15 Apr 2022, 10:11 am #53

There's the bus gate on the A184 at Wardley and there's not much goes through there either.

Rob44

15 Apr 2022, 10:57 am #54
(15 Apr 2022, 10:11 am)Andreos1 There's the bus gate on the A184 at Wardley and there's not much goes through there either.

just the 57 i think?
Rob44
15 Apr 2022, 10:57 am #54

(15 Apr 2022, 10:11 am)Andreos1 There's the bus gate on the A184 at Wardley and there's not much goes through there either.

just the 57 i think?

Storx

15 Apr 2022, 11:03 am #55

The one behind Silverlink for the subsidised 19 is the worst one. I don't understand nowadays why they don't just open it for all traffic since there's no issues at Silverlink so it wouldn't be a rat run anymore. Would help with the traffic problems at the other end of Tyne Tunnel Ind. Estate which affects the 19 anyway.
Storx
15 Apr 2022, 11:03 am #55

The one behind Silverlink for the subsidised 19 is the worst one. I don't understand nowadays why they don't just open it for all traffic since there's no issues at Silverlink so it wouldn't be a rat run anymore. Would help with the traffic problems at the other end of Tyne Tunnel Ind. Estate which affects the 19 anyway.

Andreos1

15 Apr 2022, 11:15 am #56
(15 Apr 2022, 10:57 am)Rob44  just the 57 i think?
Yeah, I think it is.
Even the Nexus funded 558 misses the old part of Sunderland Road on its inbound trip and continues on the A184.

(15 Apr 2022, 11:03 am)Storx The one behind Silverlink for the subsidised 19 is the worst one. I don't understand nowadays why they don't just open it for all traffic since there's no issues at Silverlink so it wouldn't be a rat run anymore. Would help with the traffic problems at the other end of Tyne Tunnel Ind. Estate which affects the 19 anyway.
Yeah, I don't get that one either.
The queues to get out of the estate for drivers who will then inevitably turn north on to the A19 and ultimately contributed to the queues that led to the development of the Silverlink roundabout isn't lost on me.

Speaking of junction improvements in areas where bus operators ignore the flow of traffic (Silverlink and Testos being the obvious candidates).
As well as the now completed widening of the approaches to Doxford International A690/A19, I've noticed that the slip road off the A19 at Seaton/Seaham is being widened.

If only there was a bus service that was able to attract car users on to public transport - taking people to the places they want and need to be - all that money wouldn't need to have been spent on road widening or improvements.
Thousands of cars stuck in traffic, millions being spent on the roads and there's not one operator savvy enough to do anything about it. It genuinely blows my mind that the East - West Coast Road obsession continues, despite the clear and obvious demand for a North - South service at Silverlink.
Ditto Testos, Doxford Interchange, the Western Bypass, Seaton/Seaham, Tees flyover... The list goes on.
Edited 15 Apr 2022, 11:20 am by Andreos1.

Andreos1
15 Apr 2022, 11:15 am #56

(15 Apr 2022, 10:57 am)Rob44  just the 57 i think?
Yeah, I think it is.
Even the Nexus funded 558 misses the old part of Sunderland Road on its inbound trip and continues on the A184.

(15 Apr 2022, 11:03 am)Storx The one behind Silverlink for the subsidised 19 is the worst one. I don't understand nowadays why they don't just open it for all traffic since there's no issues at Silverlink so it wouldn't be a rat run anymore. Would help with the traffic problems at the other end of Tyne Tunnel Ind. Estate which affects the 19 anyway.
Yeah, I don't get that one either.
The queues to get out of the estate for drivers who will then inevitably turn north on to the A19 and ultimately contributed to the queues that led to the development of the Silverlink roundabout isn't lost on me.

Speaking of junction improvements in areas where bus operators ignore the flow of traffic (Silverlink and Testos being the obvious candidates).
As well as the now completed widening of the approaches to Doxford International A690/A19, I've noticed that the slip road off the A19 at Seaton/Seaham is being widened.

If only there was a bus service that was able to attract car users on to public transport - taking people to the places they want and need to be - all that money wouldn't need to have been spent on road widening or improvements.
Thousands of cars stuck in traffic, millions being spent on the roads and there's not one operator savvy enough to do anything about it. It genuinely blows my mind that the East - West Coast Road obsession continues, despite the clear and obvious demand for a North - South service at Silverlink.
Ditto Testos, Doxford Interchange, the Western Bypass, Seaton/Seaham, Tees flyover... The list goes on.

ne14ne1

15 Apr 2022, 8:08 pm #57
Photos from today of the the bus link without cones:

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/r...-178284245
ne14ne1
15 Apr 2022, 8:08 pm #57

Photos from today of the the bus link without cones:

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/r...-178284245

16 Apr 2022, 11:40 am #58
Never been stuck in traffic coming from Sunderland Road onto High West Street, genuinely confused as to why they're spending money on this for 5 buses an hour, 4 if they're not sending the X10 down there?

I assume that the 27 can't even use it yet because it's still registered to stop at Chad House?
omnicity4659
16 Apr 2022, 11:40 am #58

Never been stuck in traffic coming from Sunderland Road onto High West Street, genuinely confused as to why they're spending money on this for 5 buses an hour, 4 if they're not sending the X10 down there?

I assume that the 27 can't even use it yet because it's still registered to stop at Chad House?

Adrian

16 Apr 2022, 11:51 am #59
(16 Apr 2022, 11:40 am)omnicity4659 Never been stuck in traffic coming from Sunderland Road onto High West Street, genuinely confused as to why they're spending money on this for 5 buses an hour, 4 if they're not sending the X10 down there?

Is it not in anticipation of the Gateshead Flyover being demolished? There's a long term ambition of it being replaced with a developed Gateshead boulevard, but I'm unsure exactly how far those plans have progressed in recent times.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
16 Apr 2022, 11:51 am #59

(16 Apr 2022, 11:40 am)omnicity4659 Never been stuck in traffic coming from Sunderland Road onto High West Street, genuinely confused as to why they're spending money on this for 5 buses an hour, 4 if they're not sending the X10 down there?

Is it not in anticipation of the Gateshead Flyover being demolished? There's a long term ambition of it being replaced with a developed Gateshead boulevard, but I'm unsure exactly how far those plans have progressed in recent times.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

16 Apr 2022, 12:01 pm #60
First time hearing about that. That'll be fun.....
omnicity4659
16 Apr 2022, 12:01 pm #60

First time hearing about that. That'll be fun.....

Pages (6) Previous 1 2 3 46 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average