Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot

Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot

Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (26) Previous 124 25 26
14 Feb 2023, 8:33 pm #501
(10 Feb 2023, 6:57 pm)streetdeckfan Here's a potentially unpopular opinion, not every historic building should be saved.

Just because it was their first depot, doesn't mean it's important. How much of the depot is actually original?

What does CLS depot have that is significant? What would saving it actually do?

Given the significant amount of upkeep it would require, I highly doubt anyone would be able to raise enough money to stay open more than a year. If someone actually wanted to open a transport museum, it would be far cheaper just leasing a modern building.

Just the red brick sections for the most part. The section to the left where there are some windows and where the main exit point for outgoing vehicles is was originally a much larger garage with what appears to have been a large access door (or possibly multiple doors); the fuel lane to the left and wash facilities at the back (facing onto the A167) as they presently exist had come about by at least the 1960s, so that suggests that this section was entirely reconstructed in the mid-century. The section to the right of the arches was originally all offices but was reconstructed into its current format some years later. The section which became known as the 'chute' and used primarily by National Express coaches in later years, identifiable by the large windows along the side, is what I understand was the first part of the building constructed and therefore the oldest surviving section (although the areas immediately around it most likely followed in quick succession). 

I have a copy of a rare photo which probably dates itself at the latest to the outbreak of WWII which shows the building in this way. I'm estimating that sort of date range based on one of the vehicles which can be vaguely made out entering/exiting the large garage area I described above and the absence of any housing of the red brick housing on Picktree Lane, which are in a very similar in style to a pair of semi-detached houses one of my grandads had constructed on a nearby orchard in the post-war period, leading me to believe the houses were probably constructed no later than the late 1940s, possibly earlier.
R852 PRG
14 Feb 2023, 8:33 pm #501

(10 Feb 2023, 6:57 pm)streetdeckfan Here's a potentially unpopular opinion, not every historic building should be saved.

Just because it was their first depot, doesn't mean it's important. How much of the depot is actually original?

What does CLS depot have that is significant? What would saving it actually do?

Given the significant amount of upkeep it would require, I highly doubt anyone would be able to raise enough money to stay open more than a year. If someone actually wanted to open a transport museum, it would be far cheaper just leasing a modern building.

Just the red brick sections for the most part. The section to the left where there are some windows and where the main exit point for outgoing vehicles is was originally a much larger garage with what appears to have been a large access door (or possibly multiple doors); the fuel lane to the left and wash facilities at the back (facing onto the A167) as they presently exist had come about by at least the 1960s, so that suggests that this section was entirely reconstructed in the mid-century. The section to the right of the arches was originally all offices but was reconstructed into its current format some years later. The section which became known as the 'chute' and used primarily by National Express coaches in later years, identifiable by the large windows along the side, is what I understand was the first part of the building constructed and therefore the oldest surviving section (although the areas immediately around it most likely followed in quick succession). 

I have a copy of a rare photo which probably dates itself at the latest to the outbreak of WWII which shows the building in this way. I'm estimating that sort of date range based on one of the vehicles which can be vaguely made out entering/exiting the large garage area I described above and the absence of any housing of the red brick housing on Picktree Lane, which are in a very similar in style to a pair of semi-detached houses one of my grandads had constructed on a nearby orchard in the post-war period, leading me to believe the houses were probably constructed no later than the late 1940s, possibly earlier.

Aaron21

23 Feb 2023, 6:48 pm #502
The Northern sign has now appeared at Beamish bus depot on the back

.jpg
Screenshot_20230223_184731_Facebook.jpg
Size 350.51 KB / Downloads 35
Aaron21
23 Feb 2023, 6:48 pm #502

The Northern sign has now appeared at Beamish bus depot on the back

.jpg
Screenshot_20230223_184731_Facebook.jpg
Size 350.51 KB / Downloads 35

03 Mar 2023, 3:37 pm #503
Suggested the site of CLS depot to Lidl and they have apparently been looking at purchasing the site for years.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
03 Mar 2023, 3:37 pm #503

Suggested the site of CLS depot to Lidl and they have apparently been looking at purchasing the site for years.

Rob44

03 Mar 2023, 5:54 pm #504
(03 Mar 2023, 3:37 pm)streetdeckfan Suggested the site of CLS depot to Lidl and they have apparently been looking at purchasing the site for years.

surely its to small for a lidl unless they bought the petrol station too?

(03 Mar 2023, 5:54 pm)Rob44 surely its to small for a lidl unless they bought the petrol station too?

Actually scrubb that - just checked google earth and its actually bigger that the aldi across the road alothough the shape might cause some problems
https://earth.google.com/web/@54.8599765...ZG9tGAEgAQ
Edited 03 Mar 2023, 5:55 pm by Rob44.
Rob44
03 Mar 2023, 5:54 pm #504

(03 Mar 2023, 3:37 pm)streetdeckfan Suggested the site of CLS depot to Lidl and they have apparently been looking at purchasing the site for years.

surely its to small for a lidl unless they bought the petrol station too?

(03 Mar 2023, 5:54 pm)Rob44 surely its to small for a lidl unless they bought the petrol station too?

Actually scrubb that - just checked google earth and its actually bigger that the aldi across the road alothough the shape might cause some problems
https://earth.google.com/web/@54.8599765...ZG9tGAEgAQ

03 Mar 2023, 8:51 pm #505
There was a conservatory place next to the depot which was demolished sometime last year - which might also be accounted for if and when Lidl do purchase the site.

[Image: imageHandler.php?user=wibblejunior]
wibblejunior
03 Mar 2023, 8:51 pm #505

There was a conservatory place next to the depot which was demolished sometime last year - which might also be accounted for if and when Lidl do purchase the site.

[Image: imageHandler.php?user=wibblejunior]

12 Mar 2023, 1:10 pm #506
Report of impending demolition on the BBC News web site:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-64905008
Ianthegoon
12 Mar 2023, 1:10 pm #506

Report of impending demolition on the BBC News web site:

12 Mar 2023, 7:30 pm #507
(12 Mar 2023, 1:10 pm)Ianthegoon Report of impending demolition on the BBC News web site:

So sad to hear this but I'm not surprised really. The writing has been on the wall since the depot closed really. I hope they at least keep one or two items from the site and send them to Beamish. Would love to see the Northern General Transport sign at the back and if possible the metal archway salvaged.
Washingtonian
12 Mar 2023, 7:30 pm #507

(12 Mar 2023, 1:10 pm)Ianthegoon Report of impending demolition on the BBC News web site:

So sad to hear this but I'm not surprised really. The writing has been on the wall since the depot closed really. I hope they at least keep one or two items from the site and send them to Beamish. Would love to see the Northern General Transport sign at the back and if possible the metal archway salvaged.

cbma06

12 Mar 2023, 7:58 pm #508
It was mentioned originally that the site will be demolished and cleared prior to the new owner purchasing the site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
12 Mar 2023, 7:58 pm #508

It was mentioned originally that the site will be demolished and cleared prior to the new owner purchasing the site.

12 Mar 2023, 8:31 pm #509
Realistically, the demolition of CLS has been on the cards for years. I vaguely remember MG saying something about it being too far gone a few years back.
streetdeckfan
12 Mar 2023, 8:31 pm #509

Realistically, the demolition of CLS has been on the cards for years. I vaguely remember MG saying something about it being too far gone a few years back.

Adrian

13 Mar 2023, 11:16 am #510
(12 Mar 2023, 8:31 pm)streetdeckfan Realistically, the demolition of CLS has been on the cards for years. I vaguely remember MG saying something about it being too far gone a few years back.

And the close to £2 million they'll get for it is better in their bank account rather than spent on a building beyond repair.

Think of all the buses you could repaint for that.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
13 Mar 2023, 11:16 am #510

(12 Mar 2023, 8:31 pm)streetdeckfan Realistically, the demolition of CLS has been on the cards for years. I vaguely remember MG saying something about it being too far gone a few years back.

And the close to £2 million they'll get for it is better in their bank account rather than spent on a building beyond repair.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Andreos1

13 Mar 2023, 1:42 pm #511
(13 Mar 2023, 11:16 am)Adrian  

Once you have had meetings to organise meetings, taken in to account staff wages for those meetings, drawn some ideas up, gone backwards and forwards with BI (and paid for some of his new shorts), sent the vehicles off to the back of beyond and waited for them to come back.
You're probably looking at about 3 vehicles worth of paint.

Roughly.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
13 Mar 2023, 1:42 pm #511

Once you have had meetings to organise meetings, taken in to account staff wages for those meetings, drawn some ideas up, gone backwards and forwards with BI (and paid for some of his new shorts), sent the vehicles off to the back of beyond and waited for them to come back.
You're probably looking at about 3 vehicles worth of paint.

Roughly.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

busmanT

16 Mar 2023, 8:38 pm #512

Of course the Go Ahead depots are owned by Go Ahead Group and rented to the operators, so the £2 million will go to Go Ahead Group not Go North East.
busmanT
16 Mar 2023, 8:38 pm #512

Of course the Go Ahead depots are owned by Go Ahead Group and rented to the operators, so the £2 million will go to Go Ahead Group not Go North East.

20 Apr 2023, 8:17 am #513
Looks like CLS will be a pile of rubble soon enough

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/2...eet-depot/

streetdeckfan
20 Apr 2023, 8:17 am #513

Looks like CLS will be a pile of rubble soon enough

cbma06

20 Apr 2023, 8:47 am #514
(20 Apr 2023, 8:17 am)streetdeckfan Looks like CLS will be a pile of rubble soon enough

It was mentioned in the original listings that the site will be levelled and cleared prior to the new owner taking over after the sale.

cbma06
20 Apr 2023, 8:47 am #514

(20 Apr 2023, 8:17 am)streetdeckfan Looks like CLS will be a pile of rubble soon enough

It was mentioned in the original listings that the site will be levelled and cleared prior to the new owner taking over after the sale.

Pages (26) Previous 124 25 26

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average