Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Contracted bus services not tracking

Contracted bus services not tracking

Contracted bus services not tracking

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Starscream

Banned

15 Oct 2022, 6:12 pm #1
In this day an age, how is it possible that tenders for once a morning workers buses evidently don't specify tracking as a required feature?

Bonkers.

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with lowering the entry cost to a minimum, but I suppose it's at least possible, but it would still be cost effective and simple common sense for Nexus to then provide trackers for the timespan of the tender.

If my observation is just a one off issue, I suppose that's still indicative of public public incompetence, since the unnerving experience of waiting even once for an evidently untrackable bus for such an important journey (my first day at a new job), I searched out alternative (commercially provided!) services for the next day and beyond. 

And then going forward, with the employer being sympathetic to the hell of relying on buses to get to work at all these days, with strikes looming, they let me, a person they barely know, use a company vehicle for commuting going forward, since me being late for work for even a half hour, would cost them dear. A level of pragmatism that is practically unheard of in the public sector.

Thereby as it happens, merely adding to the congestion afflicting that very service!

Scrimping pennies to lose pounds.
Starscream
15 Oct 2022, 6:12 pm #1

In this day an age, how is it possible that tenders for once a morning workers buses evidently don't specify tracking as a required feature?

Bonkers.

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with lowering the entry cost to a minimum, but I suppose it's at least possible, but it would still be cost effective and simple common sense for Nexus to then provide trackers for the timespan of the tender.

If my observation is just a one off issue, I suppose that's still indicative of public public incompetence, since the unnerving experience of waiting even once for an evidently untrackable bus for such an important journey (my first day at a new job), I searched out alternative (commercially provided!) services for the next day and beyond. 

And then going forward, with the employer being sympathetic to the hell of relying on buses to get to work at all these days, with strikes looming, they let me, a person they barely know, use a company vehicle for commuting going forward, since me being late for work for even a half hour, would cost them dear. A level of pragmatism that is practically unheard of in the public sector.

Thereby as it happens, merely adding to the congestion afflicting that very service!

Dan

Site Administrator

15 Oct 2022, 6:53 pm #2
(15 Oct 2022, 6:12 pm)Starscream In this day an age, how is it possible that tenders for once a morning workers buses evidently don't specify tracking as a required feature?

Bonkers.

All Nexus tenders specify that bidders must comply with BODS - this includes the ability to track the services.

If the operator is not complying then you should raise this with Nexus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
15 Oct 2022, 6:53 pm #2

(15 Oct 2022, 6:12 pm)Starscream In this day an age, how is it possible that tenders for once a morning workers buses evidently don't specify tracking as a required feature?

Bonkers.

All Nexus tenders specify that bidders must comply with BODS - this includes the ability to track the services.

15 Oct 2022, 6:57 pm #3

Bonkers.

You do realise that the use of a company vehicle, including for commuting purposes, is a taxable benefit.

I hope you've declared this with HMRC

https://www.gov.uk/tax-company-benefits/...mpany-cars
Clifton Hignett III
15 Oct 2022, 6:57 pm #3

Bonkers.

You do realise that the use of a company vehicle, including for commuting purposes, is a taxable benefit.

Starscream

Banned

15 Oct 2022, 8:31 pm #4
(15 Oct 2022, 6:57 pm)Clifton Hignett III You do realise that the use of a company vehicle, including for commuting purposes, is a taxable benefit.

Nope.

Commuting with a company vehicle which you actually need to do your job, and where the employer has told you it can only be used for commuting outside of those contracted hours of continuous commercial use (and was explicit in requiring notification if other uses were required, uses that would possibly also be permissible depending on their nature), then no tax is payable, not even in this case, where all fuel was paid for on a company credit card.

As with most aspects of a liberal economy designed and implemented by a Tory government, it's set up so that the little guy can get ahead simply through the sweat of his brow and the skills of his hands, with the helping hand of the entrepreneurial types who set up this particular very small business, I am guessing some time in the Thatcher years by the age of the premises, a trading estate built on the site of a former colliery or marshalling yard no doubt.

All very distressing if not completely incomprehensible to unionised Labour voters I am sure.

Regeneration and free enterprise? Eurgh.
Starscream
15 Oct 2022, 8:31 pm #4

(15 Oct 2022, 6:57 pm)Clifton Hignett III You do realise that the use of a company vehicle, including for commuting purposes, is a taxable benefit.

Nope.

Commuting with a company vehicle which you actually need to do your job, and where the employer has told you it can only be used for commuting outside of those contracted hours of continuous commercial use (and was explicit in requiring notification if other uses were required, uses that would possibly also be permissible depending on their nature), then no tax is payable, not even in this case, where all fuel was paid for on a company credit card.

As with most aspects of a liberal economy designed and implemented by a Tory government, it's set up so that the little guy can get ahead simply through the sweat of his brow and the skills of his hands, with the helping hand of the entrepreneurial types who set up this particular very small business, I am guessing some time in the Thatcher years by the age of the premises, a trading estate built on the site of a former colliery or marshalling yard no doubt.

All very distressing if not completely incomprehensible to unionised Labour voters I am sure.

Regeneration and free enterprise? Eurgh.

Adrian

16 Oct 2022, 8:39 pm #5
I've removed the derogatory thread title. Try and sound a little less patronising in future.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
16 Oct 2022, 8:39 pm #5

I've removed the derogatory thread title. Try and sound a little less patronising in future.

busmanT

16 Oct 2022, 8:46 pm #6
(15 Oct 2022, 6:53 pm)Dan All Nexus tenders specify that bidders must comply with BODS - this includes the ability to track the services.

I understand that the Traffic Commissioner is taking a great interest in operators who aren’t complying with BODS - data, tracking and fares.
Perhaps you should report the operator to them.
busmanT
16 Oct 2022, 8:46 pm #6

(15 Oct 2022, 6:53 pm)Dan All Nexus tenders specify that bidders must comply with BODS - this includes the ability to track the services.

I understand that the Traffic Commissioner is taking a great interest in operators who aren’t complying with BODS - data, tracking and fares.

Adrian

16 Oct 2022, 8:49 pm #7
(16 Oct 2022, 8:46 pm)busmanT I understand that the Traffic Commissioner is taking a great interest in operators who aren’t complying with BODS - data, tracking and fares.

I assume Nexus are monitoring the situation too, as I noticed JH and Gateshead Central both seemed to resolve their tracking issues around the same time.

Adrian
16 Oct 2022, 8:49 pm #7

(16 Oct 2022, 8:46 pm)busmanT I understand that the Traffic Commissioner is taking a great interest in operators who aren’t complying with BODS - data, tracking and fares.

I assume Nexus are monitoring the situation too, as I noticed JH and Gateshead Central both seemed to resolve their tracking issues around the same time.

Starscream

Banned

16 Oct 2022, 10:23 pm #8
The logical next question being, why isn't Nexus proactively monitoring whether contracted bus services are running, the logical means of doing so being the tracker.
Starscream
16 Oct 2022, 10:23 pm #8

The logical next question being, why isn't Nexus proactively monitoring whether contracted bus services are running, the logical means of doing so being the tracker.

16 Oct 2022, 10:45 pm #9
To be fair, if it isn't tracking, then the service is probably not running.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
16 Oct 2022, 10:45 pm #9

To be fair, if it isn't tracking, then the service is probably not running.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

Ambassador

17 Oct 2022, 4:27 pm #10
(16 Oct 2022, 10:23 pm)Starscream The logical next question being, why isn't Nexus proactively monitoring whether contracted bus services are running, the logical means of doing so being the tracker.

sadly you're no longer here to receive an answer but I'd imagine

a lack of resource
a lack of will
a combo of both

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
17 Oct 2022, 4:27 pm #10

(16 Oct 2022, 10:23 pm)Starscream The logical next question being, why isn't Nexus proactively monitoring whether contracted bus services are running, the logical means of doing so being the tracker.

sadly you're no longer here to receive an answer but I'd imagine

a lack of resource
a lack of will
a combo of both

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

17 Oct 2022, 4:43 pm #11
Are there any requirements about ticket machines for contracts, not all of GCT's vehicles can take contactless payment.

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
ASX_Terranova
17 Oct 2022, 4:43 pm #11

Are there any requirements about ticket machines for contracts, not all of GCT's vehicles can take contactless payment.

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average