Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Driving Standards of late

Driving Standards of late

Driving Standards of late

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6) Previous 13 4 5 6 Next
Rob44

31 Jan 2023, 8:42 am #61
(30 Jan 2023, 9:30 am)Adrian 3 points for what? The Police don't issue penalty points because you've hurt another motorist's feelings.

Until it becomes illegal, I'd say the most they could try with is careless driving, but even then it'd be a nightmare to prove it was intentional.

Its against the hight way code to avoid stationay traffic at a round a bout be using ther incorrect lane and doing a 360 degree tuen.  As is speeding and drink driving ....

(30 Jan 2023, 10:35 pm)F114TML Why? It's a perfectly legal, and in some cases, necessary, maneuver.
Hand in your keys at the nears police station or retake your test immediately!!
Edited 31 Jan 2023, 8:44 am by Rob44.
Rob44
31 Jan 2023, 8:42 am #61

(30 Jan 2023, 9:30 am)Adrian 3 points for what? The Police don't issue penalty points because you've hurt another motorist's feelings.

Until it becomes illegal, I'd say the most they could try with is careless driving, but even then it'd be a nightmare to prove it was intentional.

Its against the hight way code to avoid stationay traffic at a round a bout be using ther incorrect lane and doing a 360 degree tuen.  As is speeding and drink driving ....

(30 Jan 2023, 10:35 pm)F114TML Why? It's a perfectly legal, and in some cases, necessary, maneuver.

Unber43

31 Jan 2023, 8:59 am #62
(31 Jan 2023, 8:42 am)Rob44 Its against the hight way code to avoid stationay traffic at a round a bout be using ther incorrect lane and doing a 360 degree tuen.  As is speeding and drink driving ....

Just because its in the highway code to avoid it doesn't mean it illegal. 

In the highway code it says you should only flash to show presence and honk the horn to show presence, no one does that are you going to be given out 3 points to them too?
Unber43
31 Jan 2023, 8:59 am #62

(31 Jan 2023, 8:42 am)Rob44 Its against the hight way code to avoid stationay traffic at a round a bout be using ther incorrect lane and doing a 360 degree tuen.  As is speeding and drink driving ....

Just because its in the highway code to avoid it doesn't mean it illegal. 

In the highway code it says you should only flash to show presence and honk the horn to show presence, no one does that are you going to be given out 3 points to them too?

Rob44

31 Jan 2023, 9:27 am #63
(31 Jan 2023, 8:59 am)Unber43 Just because its in the highway code to avoid it doesn't mean it illegal. 

That's me not letting buses out at bus stops then even though that the highway code.... be warn bus drivers!!
Rob44
31 Jan 2023, 9:27 am #63

(31 Jan 2023, 8:59 am)Unber43 Just because its in the highway code to avoid it doesn't mean it illegal. 

That's me not letting buses out at bus stops then even though that the highway code.... be warn bus drivers!!

31 Jan 2023, 12:20 pm #64
(31 Jan 2023, 9:27 am)Rob44 That's me not letting buses out at bus stops then even though that the highway code.... be warn bus drivers!!

But isn't that in direct contradiction to other points of the highway code that you shouldn't use your indicators to ask for permission, or cause other vehicles to slow down when pulling out?

Surely it shouldn't be one rule for buses and one rule for the rest of the road users!
streetdeckfan
31 Jan 2023, 12:20 pm #64

(31 Jan 2023, 9:27 am)Rob44 That's me not letting buses out at bus stops then even though that the highway code.... be warn bus drivers!!

But isn't that in direct contradiction to other points of the highway code that you shouldn't use your indicators to ask for permission, or cause other vehicles to slow down when pulling out?

Surely it shouldn't be one rule for buses and one rule for the rest of the road users!

Rob44

31 Jan 2023, 2:06 pm #65
(31 Jan 2023, 12:20 pm)streetdeckfan But isn't that in direct contradiction to other points of the highway code that you shouldn't use your indicators to ask for permission, or cause other vehicles to slow down when pulling out?

I would assume due to the nature of buses pulling in to bus stop laybys and then having to re-enter traffic is a special rule for them.  Surely you've seen the stickers of the bus driver with his thumb out say " thanks for letting me out" and then "high way code ruleXXX"
Rob44
31 Jan 2023, 2:06 pm #65

(31 Jan 2023, 12:20 pm)streetdeckfan But isn't that in direct contradiction to other points of the highway code that you shouldn't use your indicators to ask for permission, or cause other vehicles to slow down when pulling out?

I would assume due to the nature of buses pulling in to bus stop laybys and then having to re-enter traffic is a special rule for them.  Surely you've seen the stickers of the bus driver with his thumb out say " thanks for letting me out" and then "high way code ruleXXX"

Adrian

31 Jan 2023, 3:08 pm #66

Which part/rule of the Highway Code are you reading there?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
31 Jan 2023, 3:08 pm #66

Which part/rule of the Highway Code are you reading there?

Rob44

31 Jan 2023, 4:57 pm #67
Avoiding queuing traffic at roundabout by using the incorrect lane and doing a full circle of the round about is not allowed!!! I definitely read that somewhere and i also got a ticket when I tried it at the Tyne tunnel years ago ( must have been about 2003/2004. Although i cant seem to find it on the net. I would say though Adrian if you were driving and the lane on your right was right turn only but someone overtook you causing to to break because they fancied going straight on you wouldn't think the was ok??? The lane the bus was clear marked right turn retail park. the bus ended up not only stopping on the roundabout almost causing a crash but went to the metro centre which is clearly marked as the inside lane.
Rob44
31 Jan 2023, 4:57 pm #67

Avoiding queuing traffic at roundabout by using the incorrect lane and doing a full circle of the round about is not allowed!!! I definitely read that somewhere and i also got a ticket when I tried it at the Tyne tunnel years ago ( must have been about 2003/2004. Although i cant seem to find it on the net. I would say though Adrian if you were driving and the lane on your right was right turn only but someone overtook you causing to to break because they fancied going straight on you wouldn't think the was ok??? The lane the bus was clear marked right turn retail park. the bus ended up not only stopping on the roundabout almost causing a crash but went to the metro centre which is clearly marked as the inside lane.

Adrian

31 Jan 2023, 5:11 pm #68
(31 Jan 2023, 4:57 pm)Rob44 Avoiding  queuing traffic at roundabout by using the incorrect lane and doing a full circle of the round about is not allowed!!! I definitely read that somewhere and i also got a ticket when I tried it at the Tyne tunnel years ago ( must have been about 2003/2004.  Although i cant seem to find it on the net.  I would say though Adrian if you were driving and the lane on your right was right turn only but someone overtook you causing to to break because they fancied going straight on you wouldn't think the was ok???  The lane the bus was clear marked right turn retail park. the bus ended up not only stopping on the roundabout almost causing a crash but went to the metro centre which is clearly marked as the inside lane.

So is it in the Highway Code or not, Rob? You can't seem to find reference of it, and nor can I.

BIB: That's not what they're doing by slingshotting a roundabout. Your example is cutting someone up, by using a lane not for it's intended direction. Slingshotting follows the lanes on a roundabout as allocated, but merely annoys other motorists who see it as queue jumping.

Adrian
31 Jan 2023, 5:11 pm #68

(31 Jan 2023, 4:57 pm)Rob44 Avoiding  queuing traffic at roundabout by using the incorrect lane and doing a full circle of the round about is not allowed!!! I definitely read that somewhere and i also got a ticket when I tried it at the Tyne tunnel years ago ( must have been about 2003/2004.  Although i cant seem to find it on the net.  I would say though Adrian if you were driving and the lane on your right was right turn only but someone overtook you causing to to break because they fancied going straight on you wouldn't think the was ok???  The lane the bus was clear marked right turn retail park. the bus ended up not only stopping on the roundabout almost causing a crash but went to the metro centre which is clearly marked as the inside lane.

So is it in the Highway Code or not, Rob? You can't seem to find reference of it, and nor can I.

BIB: That's not what they're doing by slingshotting a roundabout. Your example is cutting someone up, by using a lane not for it's intended direction. Slingshotting follows the lanes on a roundabout as allocated, but merely annoys other motorists who see it as queue jumping.

F114TML

01 Feb 2023, 1:29 am #69
(31 Jan 2023, 12:26 am)EsBazza One of my pet hates. 

Do I really need to explain this?
Yes! Please do as I genuinely don't see why people are so butthurt over what is ultimately a minor inconvenience (when done right).
F114TML
01 Feb 2023, 1:29 am #69

(31 Jan 2023, 12:26 am)EsBazza One of my pet hates. 

Do I really need to explain this?
Yes! Please do as I genuinely don't see why people are so butthurt over what is ultimately a minor inconvenience (when done right).

Rob44

01 Feb 2023, 10:03 am #70
(31 Jan 2023, 5:11 pm)Adrian So is it in the Highway Code or not, Rob? You can't seem to find reference of it, and nor can I.

it still stands that the bus was in the lane that was right turn retail park and i think it even has ONLY written on the road. Like i said i did it years ago at the tyne tunnel and was told you cant do that and I can see why... imagine eveyone did it then no one would get anywhere.  then there was the fact the bus decided to literally STOp on the round about to let his fellow bus driver out nearly causing an accident there.  Whether its in the highway code ( which im sure it is) or not a professional driver should know better then to ignore what written on signage and the road to keep all road users safe,

PS - the bloke who cut you up in my example is doind the same as the bus did - using the wrong lane at a roundabout whichever way you wan to cook it
Rob44
01 Feb 2023, 10:03 am #70

(31 Jan 2023, 5:11 pm)Adrian So is it in the Highway Code or not, Rob? You can't seem to find reference of it, and nor can I.

it still stands that the bus was in the lane that was right turn retail park and i think it even has ONLY written on the road. Like i said i did it years ago at the tyne tunnel and was told you cant do that and I can see why... imagine eveyone did it then no one would get anywhere.  then there was the fact the bus decided to literally STOp on the round about to let his fellow bus driver out nearly causing an accident there.  Whether its in the highway code ( which im sure it is) or not a professional driver should know better then to ignore what written on signage and the road to keep all road users safe,

PS - the bloke who cut you up in my example is doind the same as the bus did - using the wrong lane at a roundabout whichever way you wan to cook it

Bazza

01 Feb 2023, 10:11 am #71
(01 Feb 2023, 1:29 am)F114TML Yes! Please do as I genuinely don't see why people are so butthurt over what is ultimately a minor inconvenience (when done right).

See comments on the thread ‘State of the Fleet’ in GNE and you will see that maybe it was a poor attempt at sarcasm!

Although not merging properly is indeed a pet hate !
Bazza
01 Feb 2023, 10:11 am #71

(01 Feb 2023, 1:29 am)F114TML Yes! Please do as I genuinely don't see why people are so butthurt over what is ultimately a minor inconvenience (when done right).

See comments on the thread ‘State of the Fleet’ in GNE and you will see that maybe it was a poor attempt at sarcasm!

Although not merging properly is indeed a pet hate !

02 Feb 2023, 12:39 pm #72
(01 Feb 2023, 10:03 am)Rob44 it still stands that the bus was in the lane that was right turn retail park and i think it even has ONLY written on the road. Like i said i did it years ago at the tyne tunnel and was told you cant do that and I can see why... imagine eveyone did it then no one would get anywhere.  then there was the fact the bus decided to literally STOp on the round about to let his fellow bus driver out nearly causing an accident there.  Whether its in the highway code ( which im sure it is) or not a professional driver should know better then to ignore what written on signage and the road to keep all road users safe,

Tyne Tunnel has its own regulations, I don't recall there being any roundabouts within their ownership. I assume you changed lanes which is an offence under TT regulations.

Regardless of if the lane has ONLY on it or not, further turns are only prohibited by a no U-turn sign. There are no bans on U-turning on any roundabout.
omnicity4659
02 Feb 2023, 12:39 pm #72

(01 Feb 2023, 10:03 am)Rob44 it still stands that the bus was in the lane that was right turn retail park and i think it even has ONLY written on the road. Like i said i did it years ago at the tyne tunnel and was told you cant do that and I can see why... imagine eveyone did it then no one would get anywhere.  then there was the fact the bus decided to literally STOp on the round about to let his fellow bus driver out nearly causing an accident there.  Whether its in the highway code ( which im sure it is) or not a professional driver should know better then to ignore what written on signage and the road to keep all road users safe,

Tyne Tunnel has its own regulations, I don't recall there being any roundabouts within their ownership. I assume you changed lanes which is an offence under TT regulations.

Regardless of if the lane has ONLY on it or not, further turns are only prohibited by a no U-turn sign. There are no bans on U-turning on any roundabout.

Rob44

02 Feb 2023, 4:13 pm #73
(02 Feb 2023, 12:39 pm)omnicity4659 Tyne Tunnel has its own regulations, I don't recall there being any roundabouts within their ownership. I assume you changed lanes which is an offence under TT regulations.

It was the round about at the south end of the tunnel - we are talking 2004 ish. the outside lane was for Jarrow only but i followed a car and they ended up dong the same as me a 470 turn around the round about that was there.... bloke in tyne tunnel uniform came across the them and then me tell me what i had done was illegal and handed me a paper that used something to prove this.... 

And like i said I'm sure i read the using the incorrect lane at a round about to avoid queuing traffic is a volition of the high way code - not a u turn but going wanting to left but using the right hand lane then traveling 470 degrees around it, cause more delay for those sitting in the correct lane as directed by the signs and the paint on the road.
Rob44
02 Feb 2023, 4:13 pm #73

(02 Feb 2023, 12:39 pm)omnicity4659 Tyne Tunnel has its own regulations, I don't recall there being any roundabouts within their ownership. I assume you changed lanes which is an offence under TT regulations.

It was the round about at the south end of the tunnel - we are talking 2004 ish. the outside lane was for Jarrow only but i followed a car and they ended up dong the same as me a 470 turn around the round about that was there.... bloke in tyne tunnel uniform came across the them and then me tell me what i had done was illegal and handed me a paper that used something to prove this.... 

And like i said I'm sure i read the using the incorrect lane at a round about to avoid queuing traffic is a volition of the high way code - not a u turn but going wanting to left but using the right hand lane then traveling 470 degrees around it, cause more delay for those sitting in the correct lane as directed by the signs and the paint on the road.

02 Feb 2023, 6:06 pm #74
Before they built the second tunnel, the roundabouts at the North and South end of the Tunnels fell under the bylaws of the Tunnel, this included such things as sling shotting the roundabout(s), using the bus lanes or taking a short cut through East Howdon to avoid the traffic queues. The signs about East Howdon are still their even though the bylaw is now redundant and the camera is long gone.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
02 Feb 2023, 6:06 pm #74

Before they built the second tunnel, the roundabouts at the North and South end of the Tunnels fell under the bylaws of the Tunnel, this included such things as sling shotting the roundabout(s), using the bus lanes or taking a short cut through East Howdon to avoid the traffic queues. The signs about East Howdon are still their even though the bylaw is now redundant and the camera is long gone.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/

F114TML

02 Feb 2023, 7:08 pm #75
It suppose it could also depend on how you see a roundabout - as a type of junction, or a circular one-way street with junctions.
F114TML
02 Feb 2023, 7:08 pm #75

It suppose it could also depend on how you see a roundabout - as a type of junction, or a circular one-way street with junctions.

Storx

02 Feb 2023, 7:37 pm #76
(02 Feb 2023, 7:08 pm)F114TML It suppose it could also depend on how you see a roundabout - as a type of junction, or a circular one-way street with junctions.

That's called a gyratory, not a roundabout - just saying.
Storx
02 Feb 2023, 7:37 pm #76

(02 Feb 2023, 7:08 pm)F114TML It suppose it could also depend on how you see a roundabout - as a type of junction, or a circular one-way street with junctions.

That's called a gyratory, not a roundabout - just saying.

ne14ne1

02 Feb 2023, 7:44 pm #77
Never knew that form of queue jumping was called slingshotting.

Hate queue jumpers.
ne14ne1
02 Feb 2023, 7:44 pm #77

Never knew that form of queue jumping was called slingshotting.

Hate queue jumpers.

Rob44

03 Feb 2023, 9:35 am #78
(02 Feb 2023, 6:06 pm)Rapidsnap Before they built the second tunnel, the roundabouts at the North and South end of the Tunnels fell under the bylaws of the Tunnel, this included such things as sling shotting the roundabout(s), using the bus lanes or taking a short cut through East Howdon to avoid the traffic queues. The signs about East Howdon are still their even though the bylaw is now redundant and the camera is long gone.

Well that explains that then,  Cheers
Rob44
03 Feb 2023, 9:35 am #78

(02 Feb 2023, 6:06 pm)Rapidsnap Before they built the second tunnel, the roundabouts at the North and South end of the Tunnels fell under the bylaws of the Tunnel, this included such things as sling shotting the roundabout(s), using the bus lanes or taking a short cut through East Howdon to avoid the traffic queues. The signs about East Howdon are still their even though the bylaw is now redundant and the camera is long gone.

Well that explains that then,  Cheers

05 Feb 2023, 8:08 pm #79

The yellow sign was removed a couple of years ago. The no entry signs are still unlawfully on display though.
omnicity4659
05 Feb 2023, 8:08 pm #79

The yellow sign was removed a couple of years ago. The no entry signs are still unlawfully on display though.

07 Feb 2023, 11:22 pm #80
Looking at Google Streetview the sign disappeared in 2021.

Rapidsnap
07 Feb 2023, 11:22 pm #80

Looking at Google Streetview the sign disappeared in 2021.

Pages (6) Previous 13 4 5 6 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average