Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East GNE accounts

GNE accounts

GNE accounts

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2) Previous 1 2
Storx

20 May 2023, 8:31 pm #21
(20 May 2023, 8:24 pm)Unber43 Is that SCNE? Also yeah if GNE had 3-4 more strong routes like the 21, like SCNE do in Newcastle.

Just the T&W Depots, the Stockton area depots are a separate company, someone posted it just before me believe they made loss without checking.

Yeah, Stagecoach pretty much have all the goldmine routes in Newcastle and to be fair in Sunderland aswell really.

Teesside sounds like it's in a dire state and if the rumoured pensioner pass cuts come in could mean big trouble in some areas, in particular Hartlepool, as whenever I see buses down there passing by the few times I'm there it's full of them. Mind it could be toxic in Derwentside / East Durham aswell, it's been cut to the bone already especially with GNE and Arriva done it years ago pretty much.
Storx
20 May 2023, 8:31 pm #21

(20 May 2023, 8:24 pm)Unber43 Is that SCNE? Also yeah if GNE had 3-4 more strong routes like the 21, like SCNE do in Newcastle.

Just the T&W Depots, the Stockton area depots are a separate company, someone posted it just before me believe they made loss without checking.

Yeah, Stagecoach pretty much have all the goldmine routes in Newcastle and to be fair in Sunderland aswell really.

Teesside sounds like it's in a dire state and if the rumoured pensioner pass cuts come in could mean big trouble in some areas, in particular Hartlepool, as whenever I see buses down there passing by the few times I'm there it's full of them. Mind it could be toxic in Derwentside / East Durham aswell, it's been cut to the bone already especially with GNE and Arriva done it years ago pretty much.

Unber43

20 May 2023, 8:53 pm #22
(20 May 2023, 8:31 pm)Storx Just the T&W Depots, the Stockton area depots are a separate company, someone posted it just before me believe they made loss without checking.

Sunderland I would say is a mix but they do have a lot of great routes, 16/20/3/4, but clearly the 12/13 aren't doing the best, 

GNE i would say 20/56/60/33/2/2A
Unber43
20 May 2023, 8:53 pm #22

(20 May 2023, 8:31 pm)Storx Just the T&W Depots, the Stockton area depots are a separate company, someone posted it just before me believe they made loss without checking.

Sunderland I would say is a mix but they do have a lot of great routes, 16/20/3/4, but clearly the 12/13 aren't doing the best, 

GNE i would say 20/56/60/33/2/2A

Ambassador

20 May 2023, 10:52 pm #23
(20 May 2023, 6:41 pm)Dan The new executive team in place at Go North East seem far more cost-focused - this is evident through a distinct lack of repaints/refurbishments, spend on discretionary items, the early termination of some loss-making contracts, and a well-publicised restructure of clerical staff and management.

The company is very clearly now in a turnaround. I suspect it will be a long time before any “gambles” to improve revenue will be taken - new fare initiatives, network changes, or otherwise.

The fact operators will only receive around 50% of the Government support they currently receive from 1 July, paired with alleged reductions in ENCTS payments from local authorities (as has been suggested is the reason for impending cuts at Arriva) won’t do any good at all for the profits of any operators in the region.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a turnaround? Fares are too cheap…uh huh….ok….

Until we get back to a point of public service being properly supported (and properly operated with that cash) and spend less time worrying about a faceless corporate entities profits then nothing will improve. It’ll be interesting to see how Liverpool and Manchesters franchised networks work out and whether we can follow that model regionally alas, I’ve even less faith in our regional leaders and nexus/Gannons whingy transport coalition than I do in GNE

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
20 May 2023, 10:52 pm #23

(20 May 2023, 6:41 pm)Dan The new executive team in place at Go North East seem far more cost-focused - this is evident through a distinct lack of repaints/refurbishments, spend on discretionary items, the early termination of some loss-making contracts, and a well-publicised restructure of clerical staff and management.

The company is very clearly now in a turnaround. I suspect it will be a long time before any “gambles” to improve revenue will be taken - new fare initiatives, network changes, or otherwise.

The fact operators will only receive around 50% of the Government support they currently receive from 1 July, paired with alleged reductions in ENCTS payments from local authorities (as has been suggested is the reason for impending cuts at Arriva) won’t do any good at all for the profits of any operators in the region.

In a turnaround? Fares are too cheap…uh huh….ok….

Until we get back to a point of public service being properly supported (and properly operated with that cash) and spend less time worrying about a faceless corporate entities profits then nothing will improve. It’ll be interesting to see how Liverpool and Manchesters franchised networks work out and whether we can follow that model regionally alas, I’ve even less faith in our regional leaders and nexus/Gannons whingy transport coalition than I do in GNE

Dan

Site Administrator

21 May 2023, 6:29 am #24
(20 May 2023, 10:52 pm)Ambassador In a turnaround? Fares are too cheap…uh huh….ok….

I’d argue a lot of operators would jump at the chance of franchising when the industry is in the state it is in at the moment.

What’s to complain about - no revenue risk, guaranteed margin (assuming costings are correct!), and so on…

Dan
21 May 2023, 6:29 am #24

(20 May 2023, 10:52 pm)Ambassador In a turnaround? Fares are too cheap…uh huh….ok….

I’d argue a lot of operators would jump at the chance of franchising when the industry is in the state it is in at the moment.

What’s to complain about - no revenue risk, guaranteed margin (assuming costings are correct!), and so on…

busmanT

21 May 2023, 7:40 am #25

Some GNE fares are clearly below the price that they need to be - Concord to Sunderland £2.30 single for example.

it will be interesting to see if Manchester can afford franchising - we won’t know until at least 2026 once all areas are franchised.
It will also be interesting to find out what the Bee Network fares are when Andy B announces them next month.
busmanT
21 May 2023, 7:40 am #25

Some GNE fares are clearly below the price that they need to be - Concord to Sunderland £2.30 single for example.

it will be interesting to see if Manchester can afford franchising - we won’t know until at least 2026 once all areas are franchised.
It will also be interesting to find out what the Bee Network fares are when Andy B announces them next month.

21 May 2023, 6:00 pm #26
(21 May 2023, 7:40 am)busmanT Some GNE fares are clearly below the price that they need to be - Concord to Sunderland £2.30 single for example.

It's still not cheap though and most customers aren't going to see it that way to be fair. And that's just for a one way journey for one person. Whole different ball game if people are traveling as a family. I can't blame people for choosing the car to be honest. Of course I understand that GNE needs to find a way of turning things around but at the same time they have to be careful not to push more people away because it will only make matters worse in the long run.
Washingtonian
21 May 2023, 6:00 pm #26

(21 May 2023, 7:40 am)busmanT Some GNE fares are clearly below the price that they need to be - Concord to Sunderland £2.30 single for example.

It's still not cheap though and most customers aren't going to see it that way to be fair. And that's just for a one way journey for one person. Whole different ball game if people are traveling as a family. I can't blame people for choosing the car to be honest. Of course I understand that GNE needs to find a way of turning things around but at the same time they have to be careful not to push more people away because it will only make matters worse in the long run.

21 May 2023, 6:09 pm #27

Really? I'd argue £2.30 is about right for travel from Concord into Sunderland. It's a cross city fare after all, the old pricing used to be quite ridiculous imo.
deanmachine
21 May 2023, 6:09 pm #27

Really? I'd argue £2.30 is about right for travel from Concord into Sunderland. It's a cross city fare after all, the old pricing used to be quite ridiculous imo.

Ambassador

21 May 2023, 8:56 pm #28
(21 May 2023, 6:09 pm)deanmachine Really? I'd argue £2.30 is about right for travel from Concord into Sunderland. It's a cross city fare after all, the old pricing used to be quite ridiculous imo.

Pre Covid. Birtley to Newcastle was £3.80, the same distance miles wise. 

Someone is either being massively undercharged or hugely overcharged. I’ve made a lot more leisure journeys since the £2 cam in but at full price. I’d always take a taxi in a group or a car if with just the family

Ambassador
21 May 2023, 8:56 pm #28

(21 May 2023, 6:09 pm)deanmachine Really? I'd argue £2.30 is about right for travel from Concord into Sunderland. It's a cross city fare after all, the old pricing used to be quite ridiculous imo.

Pre Covid. Birtley to Newcastle was £3.80, the same distance miles wise. 

Someone is either being massively undercharged or hugely overcharged. I’ve made a lot more leisure journeys since the £2 cam in but at full price. I’d always take a taxi in a group or a car if with just the family

Unber43

21 May 2023, 8:57 pm #29
(21 May 2023, 8:56 pm)Ambassador Pre Covid. Birtley to Newcastle was £3.80, the same distance miles wise. 

Someone is either being massively undercharged or hugely overcharged….
i would say that's extortionate
Unber43
21 May 2023, 8:57 pm #29

(21 May 2023, 8:56 pm)Ambassador Pre Covid. Birtley to Newcastle was £3.80, the same distance miles wise. 

Someone is either being massively undercharged or hugely overcharged….
i would say that's extortionate

Rob44

02 Jul 2023, 8:51 am #30
wasn't sure where to put this but here seems the most reasonable.

The fun police was getting a GNE bus back home from work and a bloke go on with £10 note, She said the driver said to him just get on? I thought this was a bit strange, surley a driver would have 8 quid in change? Then last night on the 28b a bloke was going to let me on before him but he had been there longer than me and he got on with a tenner and the same thing happened? Then muggings ( me ) get on with 2 x £1 coins and i have to pay. to top it off he was still on the bus when i got off!! no wonder GNE are skink and i am skint to!!
Rob44
02 Jul 2023, 8:51 am #30

wasn't sure where to put this but here seems the most reasonable.

The fun police was getting a GNE bus back home from work and a bloke go on with £10 note, She said the driver said to him just get on? I thought this was a bit strange, surley a driver would have 8 quid in change? Then last night on the 28b a bloke was going to let me on before him but he had been there longer than me and he got on with a tenner and the same thing happened? Then muggings ( me ) get on with 2 x £1 coins and i have to pay. to top it off he was still on the bus when i got off!! no wonder GNE are skink and i am skint to!!

Drifter60

02 Jul 2023, 12:18 pm #31
(02 Jul 2023, 8:51 am)Rob44 wasn't sure where to put this but here seems the most reasonable.

The fun police was getting a GNE bus back home from work and a bloke go on with £10 note,  She said the driver said to him just get on?  I thought this was a bit strange, surley a driver would have 8 quid in change?  Then last night on the 28b a bloke was going to let me on before him but he had been there longer than me and he got on with a tenner and the same thing happened? Then muggings ( me ) get on with 2 x £1 coins and i have to pay. to top it off he was still on the bus when i got off!! no wonder GNE are skink and i am skint to!!

I always thought the rule was they’d take the note and owe you the change. The hope being that the driver will have change by the time you get off or if not you’d have to apply/ring customer service to get the refund.
Drifter60
02 Jul 2023, 12:18 pm #31

(02 Jul 2023, 8:51 am)Rob44 wasn't sure where to put this but here seems the most reasonable.

The fun police was getting a GNE bus back home from work and a bloke go on with £10 note,  She said the driver said to him just get on?  I thought this was a bit strange, surley a driver would have 8 quid in change?  Then last night on the 28b a bloke was going to let me on before him but he had been there longer than me and he got on with a tenner and the same thing happened? Then muggings ( me ) get on with 2 x £1 coins and i have to pay. to top it off he was still on the bus when i got off!! no wonder GNE are skink and i am skint to!!

I always thought the rule was they’d take the note and owe you the change. The hope being that the driver will have change by the time you get off or if not you’d have to apply/ring customer service to get the refund.

nova347

02 Jul 2023, 6:10 pm #32
(02 Jul 2023, 12:18 pm)Drifter60 I always thought the rule was they’d take the note and owe you the change. The hope being that the driver will have change by the time you get off or if not you’d have to apply/ring customer service to get the refund.
Yer that happened before with me and with people who've gotten the bus while I've been on, they give the driver the note and get change when they get off.
nova347
02 Jul 2023, 6:10 pm #32

(02 Jul 2023, 12:18 pm)Drifter60 I always thought the rule was they’d take the note and owe you the change. The hope being that the driver will have change by the time you get off or if not you’d have to apply/ring customer service to get the refund.
Yer that happened before with me and with people who've gotten the bus while I've been on, they give the driver the note and get change when they get off.

Pages (2) Previous 1 2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average