Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Concerts in Tyne and Wear - Special SF Buses and Metro

Concerts in Tyne and Wear - Special SF Buses and Metro

Concerts in Tyne and Wear - Special SF Buses and Metro

• 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average

Pages (4) Previous 1 2 3 4 Next
Drifter60

05 Jun 2023, 9:30 pm #21
(05 Jun 2023, 6:16 pm)Storx In fairness the buses are the least of the issues imo.

There's total gaps on how someone from Newcastle is meant to 
  • Use the Metro towards Sunderland / South Shields.
  • Get to West Jesmond / Ilford Road at all
  • Information for people who aren't at the concerts and are affected

and similar at Sunderland for someone needing the Metro there.

Newcastle in particular is a major destination in it's own right and they've effectively just shut the Metro down with no information at all.

I heard that the Stadium of Light has agreed procedures with Nexus for concerts, so got in first with dates/resources hence why Newcastle seems to get the raw deal on Saturday 10th. But the points you raise are fair enough, it seems like the the bus would be the only options for those areas mentioned - but good luck with that, with presumably no extra resources planned for the regular bus services.
Drifter60
05 Jun 2023, 9:30 pm #21

(05 Jun 2023, 6:16 pm)Storx In fairness the buses are the least of the issues imo.

There's total gaps on how someone from Newcastle is meant to 
  • Use the Metro towards Sunderland / South Shields.
  • Get to West Jesmond / Ilford Road at all
  • Information for people who aren't at the concerts and are affected

and similar at Sunderland for someone needing the Metro there.

Newcastle in particular is a major destination in it's own right and they've effectively just shut the Metro down with no information at all.

I heard that the Stadium of Light has agreed procedures with Nexus for concerts, so got in first with dates/resources hence why Newcastle seems to get the raw deal on Saturday 10th. But the points you raise are fair enough, it seems like the the bus would be the only options for those areas mentioned - but good luck with that, with presumably no extra resources planned for the regular bus services.

Ambassador

05 Jun 2023, 10:16 pm #22
The whole thing just shows how awful the transport infrastructure across Tyne and Wear really is. Two concerts at under 100,000 and they give up

Having seen how Edinburgh Trams handled Springsteen and then how TFGM coped with Elton John, Artic Monkeys and Coldplay across 3 venues on the same night it’s actually embarrassing how badly prepared our network is for an event like this.

Terrifying to think this lot could actually be running the whole show when regional devolution steps in. I think I’d prefer a MG and Roger French combo over NECA and Nexus.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
05 Jun 2023, 10:16 pm #22

The whole thing just shows how awful the transport infrastructure across Tyne and Wear really is. Two concerts at under 100,000 and they give up

Having seen how Edinburgh Trams handled Springsteen and then how TFGM coped with Elton John, Artic Monkeys and Coldplay across 3 venues on the same night it’s actually embarrassing how badly prepared our network is for an event like this.

Terrifying to think this lot could actually be running the whole show when regional devolution steps in. I think I’d prefer a MG and Roger French combo over NECA and Nexus.

Unber43

06 Jun 2023, 3:54 pm #23
i am so confused, if im in Newcastle when the concerts are on, how do I get out of central newcastle by the metro, it seems every station will be shut?
Unber43
06 Jun 2023, 3:54 pm #23

i am so confused, if im in Newcastle when the concerts are on, how do I get out of central newcastle by the metro, it seems every station will be shut?

Storx

06 Jun 2023, 5:33 pm #24
(06 Jun 2023, 3:54 pm)Unber43 i am so confused, if im in Newcastle when the concerts are on, how do I get out of central newcastle by the metro, it seems every station will be shut?

Go to Gateshead and change or use the SF buses depending where you're going.
Storx
06 Jun 2023, 5:33 pm #24

(06 Jun 2023, 3:54 pm)Unber43 i am so confused, if im in Newcastle when the concerts are on, how do I get out of central newcastle by the metro, it seems every station will be shut?

Go to Gateshead and change or use the SF buses depending where you're going.

Unber43

06 Jun 2023, 7:09 pm #25
bit of a joke tbf
Unber43
06 Jun 2023, 7:09 pm #25

bit of a joke tbf

idiot

06 Jun 2023, 10:19 pm #26
Kind of understand why St James is closed, but monument could be open using different entrances for different platforms surely
idiot
06 Jun 2023, 10:19 pm #26

Kind of understand why St James is closed, but monument could be open using different entrances for different platforms surely

Adrian

09 Jun 2023, 12:51 pm #27
(05 Jun 2023, 10:16 pm)Ambassador The whole thing just shows how awful the transport infrastructure across Tyne and Wear really is. Two concerts at under 100,000 and they give up

Having seen how Edinburgh Trams handled Springsteen and then how TFGM coped with Elton John, Artic Monkeys and Coldplay across 3 venues on the same night it’s actually embarrassing how badly prepared  our network is for an event like this.

I'm not one for jumping to the defence of Nexus, but they're only playing with the hand they're dealt here.

As you well know, we live in a deregulated bus market that is supposed to increase competition. The only problem with that, is when there's a chance to think outside of the box, on the most part it doesn't happen, unless Nexus find a pot of money to throw at it.

I'm a loss as to why when there's sold out gigs at the two biggest stadiums in our region, bus operators by large insist on running their usual evening service. Drifter60 has highlighted above that Fender is due off stage 22.50-23.00, yet that Peterlee bound, and the following Houghton bound X1 would have left before that. That's just one example, but there are many others.

What about Park and Ride services? You've got huge car parks sitting empty most evenings. If the SF1 is running to Kingston Park, surely something could have been worked out with the site management to allow use for park and ride. Same with utilising the Metrocentre, Galleries, Wessington Way, etc.

For me, it highlights yet another reason why we need an integrated network.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
09 Jun 2023, 12:51 pm #27

(05 Jun 2023, 10:16 pm)Ambassador The whole thing just shows how awful the transport infrastructure across Tyne and Wear really is. Two concerts at under 100,000 and they give up

Having seen how Edinburgh Trams handled Springsteen and then how TFGM coped with Elton John, Artic Monkeys and Coldplay across 3 venues on the same night it’s actually embarrassing how badly prepared  our network is for an event like this.

I'm not one for jumping to the defence of Nexus, but they're only playing with the hand they're dealt here.

As you well know, we live in a deregulated bus market that is supposed to increase competition. The only problem with that, is when there's a chance to think outside of the box, on the most part it doesn't happen, unless Nexus find a pot of money to throw at it.

I'm a loss as to why when there's sold out gigs at the two biggest stadiums in our region, bus operators by large insist on running their usual evening service. Drifter60 has highlighted above that Fender is due off stage 22.50-23.00, yet that Peterlee bound, and the following Houghton bound X1 would have left before that. That's just one example, but there are many others.

What about Park and Ride services? You've got huge car parks sitting empty most evenings. If the SF1 is running to Kingston Park, surely something could have been worked out with the site management to allow use for park and ride. Same with utilising the Metrocentre, Galleries, Wessington Way, etc.

itsadam

09 Jun 2023, 2:16 pm #28
Which depot is running the Sam Fender buses? They've practically cancelled the entire timetable for the 21 this evening
itsadam
09 Jun 2023, 2:16 pm #28

Which depot is running the Sam Fender buses? They've practically cancelled the entire timetable for the 21 this evening

Michael

09 Jun 2023, 2:19 pm #29
(09 Jun 2023, 2:16 pm)itsadam Which depot is running the Sam Fender buses? They've practically cancelled the entire timetable for the 21 this evening

I would of said Riverside, bigger depot and more deckers than other depots.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
09 Jun 2023, 2:19 pm #29

(09 Jun 2023, 2:16 pm)itsadam Which depot is running the Sam Fender buses? They've practically cancelled the entire timetable for the 21 this evening

I would of said Riverside, bigger depot and more deckers than other depots.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

itsadam

09 Jun 2023, 2:22 pm #30
(09 Jun 2023, 2:19 pm)Michael I would of said Riverside, bigger depot and more deckers than other depots.

That was my first guess. I'm so pi**ed off, they're prioritising Sam Fender. In all fairness, the 21 has been quite bad lately but today's by far the worst it's been.
itsadam
09 Jun 2023, 2:22 pm #30

(09 Jun 2023, 2:19 pm)Michael I would of said Riverside, bigger depot and more deckers than other depots.

That was my first guess. I'm so pi**ed off, they're prioritising Sam Fender. In all fairness, the 21 has been quite bad lately but today's by far the worst it's been.

Andreos1

09 Jun 2023, 2:23 pm #31

You got the list of cancelled runs?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
09 Jun 2023, 2:23 pm #31

You got the list of cancelled runs?

Michael

09 Jun 2023, 2:25 pm #32
(09 Jun 2023, 2:23 pm)Andreos1 You got the list of cancelled runs?

Angel 21

The following full journeys will not operate  

from Newcastle: 15:00, 16:52, 17:32, 19:14, 20:26, 21:26, 23:26
from Chester-le-Street: 15:54, 17:49, 18:23, 19:44, 22:27
The following journeys will start from Gateshead

from Newcastle: 20:36
The following journeys will only run as far as Gateshead

from Chester-le-Street: 20:44

(09 Jun 2023, 2:22 pm)itsadam That was my first guess. I'm so pi**ed off, they're prioritising Sam Fender. In all fairness, the 21 has been quite bad lately but today's by far the worst it's been.

Ye, wonder why they couldn't put shuttles on for P!NK too or extend some of the services to run later...... same as Stagecoach Sunderland - buses finish at normal times.
Edited 09 Jun 2023, 2:26 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
09 Jun 2023, 2:25 pm #32

(09 Jun 2023, 2:23 pm)Andreos1 You got the list of cancelled runs?

Angel 21

(09 Jun 2023, 2:22 pm)itsadam That was my first guess. I'm so pi**ed off, they're prioritising Sam Fender. In all fairness, the 21 has been quite bad lately but today's by far the worst it's been.

Ye, wonder why they couldn't put shuttles on for P!NK too or extend some of the services to run later...... same as Stagecoach Sunderland - buses finish at normal times.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Ambassador

09 Jun 2023, 2:31 pm #33
(09 Jun 2023, 12:51 pm)Adrian I'm not one for jumping to the defence of Nexus, but they're only playing with the hand they're dealt here.

I do think Nexus have panicked as well. There is no reason why 2 events should cause this much chaos but I'd argue that Stadium of Light in particular needs a much better travel plan for its gigs and that should be looked at going forward.

We aren't talking huge crowds, Newcastle is just over its usual capacity for home games and there's actually less people in the city than when Loosefest was on at Exhibition Park at the same time Newcastle played at home earlier this season. If they can't figure a way to safely operate between 2 sites that are 14 miles away then god help us all. 

Having seen the state of some people in town already, I wouldn't fancy driving a bus post-gig tonight (but then looking at their cancellations tonight - doesn't look like that many fancied driving pre-gig either!)

Ambassador
09 Jun 2023, 2:31 pm #33

(09 Jun 2023, 12:51 pm)Adrian I'm not one for jumping to the defence of Nexus, but they're only playing with the hand they're dealt here.

I do think Nexus have panicked as well. There is no reason why 2 events should cause this much chaos but I'd argue that Stadium of Light in particular needs a much better travel plan for its gigs and that should be looked at going forward.

We aren't talking huge crowds, Newcastle is just over its usual capacity for home games and there's actually less people in the city than when Loosefest was on at Exhibition Park at the same time Newcastle played at home earlier this season. If they can't figure a way to safely operate between 2 sites that are 14 miles away then god help us all. 

Having seen the state of some people in town already, I wouldn't fancy driving a bus post-gig tonight (but then looking at their cancellations tonight - doesn't look like that many fancied driving pre-gig either!)

BFK

09 Jun 2023, 2:56 pm #34

Consett, Sunderland, Percy Main, Washington, Riverside and L&G Coaches are all supplying drivers and vehicles.
BFK
09 Jun 2023, 2:56 pm #34

Consett, Sunderland, Percy Main, Washington, Riverside and L&G Coaches are all supplying drivers and vehicles.

Andreos1

09 Jun 2023, 4:41 pm #35
(09 Jun 2023, 2:25 pm)Michael Angel 21

Not sure what there is to be said about this like. 
Hopefully those commuting home or heading back after a day at the shops don't get too delayed.

Andreos1
09 Jun 2023, 4:41 pm #35

(09 Jun 2023, 2:25 pm)Michael Angel 21

Not sure what there is to be said about this like. 
Hopefully those commuting home or heading back after a day at the shops don't get too delayed.

Storx

09 Jun 2023, 5:21 pm #36
There's no shuttle buses tonight for Sam Fender... that's Saturday only.

There does seem to be a Shuttle for the Blaydon Races though as I've passed numerous Omnidekka's along Sandy Lane from Percy Main avoiding the LEZ by going all the way around.

https://bustimes.org/vehicles/gnel-6168?.../436691670 - There's one tracking there.

It's more likely people are either doing the Blaydon Race or are at Sam Fender and when you rely on overtime from driver's only one thing will happen.
Storx
09 Jun 2023, 5:21 pm #36

There's no shuttle buses tonight for Sam Fender... that's Saturday only.

There does seem to be a Shuttle for the Blaydon Races though as I've passed numerous Omnidekka's along Sandy Lane from Percy Main avoiding the LEZ by going all the way around.

https://bustimes.org/vehicles/gnel-6168?.../436691670 - There's one tracking there.

It's more likely people are either doing the Blaydon Race or are at Sam Fender and when you rely on overtime from driver's only one thing will happen.

Thomas12

09 Jun 2023, 5:36 pm #37
(09 Jun 2023, 5:21 pm)Storx There's no shuttle buses tonight for Sam Fender... that's Saturday only.

Pretty sure those Omnidekkas are Euro 6 compliant - they're used regularly on the 1. 

I'd imagine they went that way to avoid the horrific traffic along the Coast Road tonight.
Thomas12
09 Jun 2023, 5:36 pm #37

(09 Jun 2023, 5:21 pm)Storx There's no shuttle buses tonight for Sam Fender... that's Saturday only.

Pretty sure those Omnidekkas are Euro 6 compliant - they're used regularly on the 1. 

I'd imagine they went that way to avoid the horrific traffic along the Coast Road tonight.

Storx

09 Jun 2023, 5:46 pm #38
(09 Jun 2023, 5:36 pm)Thomas12 Pretty sure those Omnidekkas are Euro 6 compliant - they're used regularly on the 1. 

Yeah you're probably right, I just assumed that as it's a rather long winded route to take but didn't think about the traffic in Newcastle.

Seems there's a few buses from Riverside and Deptford aswell.
Storx
09 Jun 2023, 5:46 pm #38

(09 Jun 2023, 5:36 pm)Thomas12 Pretty sure those Omnidekkas are Euro 6 compliant - they're used regularly on the 1. 

Yeah you're probably right, I just assumed that as it's a rather long winded route to take but didn't think about the traffic in Newcastle.

Seems there's a few buses from Riverside and Deptford aswell.

Michael

09 Jun 2023, 6:39 pm #39
Looks like the SF2, will be extended if it meets the demand.....

Attention Sam Fender Concert attendees for 10th June!
Due to huge events happening tomorrow evening including Pink at the Stadium of Light & Sam Fender at St James Park. NEXUS have added additional services around the Tyne & Wear area to help people get home safely. We will be operating the late night Shuttle Service SF2 on behalf of NEXUS to help passengers get home from the Sam Fender Gig! What an amazing evening for the North East. We are happy and proud to be a part of it. See the below imagine for information on this service...
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
09 Jun 2023, 6:39 pm #39

Looks like the SF2, will be extended if it meets the demand.....

Attention Sam Fender Concert attendees for 10th June!
Due to huge events happening tomorrow evening including Pink at the Stadium of Light & Sam Fender at St James Park. NEXUS have added additional services around the Tyne & Wear area to help people get home safely. We will be operating the late night Shuttle Service SF2 on behalf of NEXUS to help passengers get home from the Sam Fender Gig! What an amazing evening for the North East. We are happy and proud to be a part of it. See the below imagine for information on this service...

Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Adrian

09 Jun 2023, 7:23 pm #40
(09 Jun 2023, 2:31 pm)Ambassador I do think Nexus have panicked as well. There is no reason why 2 events should cause this much chaos but I'd argue that Stadium of Light in particular needs a much better travel plan for its gigs and that should be looked at going forward.

Yes, I agree. Them closing all the Newcastle City Centre Metro stations for 'crowd control' is a complete cop out. They've managed to run crowd control on match days for years without issue, but again, it comes back to the lack of out of box thinking, with closure being an easier option than coming up with a proper plan. I don't see why they couldn't have used P1/P2 at St James for East Bound travel, Monument for North and South, then Haymarket and Central for exit only. 

It's not a great advert of a rapid transit system, if you have to shut it down when it's a bit busy.

Stadium of Light I completely agree with, and even match days is a problem. But like I suggested above, there's plenty of retail or office parking space that isn't utilised on an evening, which could instead have served as a temporary Park and Ride site. Much in the same way as Durham do with Lumiere.

Adrian
09 Jun 2023, 7:23 pm #40

(09 Jun 2023, 2:31 pm)Ambassador I do think Nexus have panicked as well. There is no reason why 2 events should cause this much chaos but I'd argue that Stadium of Light in particular needs a much better travel plan for its gigs and that should be looked at going forward.

Yes, I agree. Them closing all the Newcastle City Centre Metro stations for 'crowd control' is a complete cop out. They've managed to run crowd control on match days for years without issue, but again, it comes back to the lack of out of box thinking, with closure being an easier option than coming up with a proper plan. I don't see why they couldn't have used P1/P2 at St James for East Bound travel, Monument for North and South, then Haymarket and Central for exit only. 

It's not a great advert of a rapid transit system, if you have to shut it down when it's a bit busy.

Stadium of Light I completely agree with, and even match days is a problem. But like I suggested above, there's plenty of retail or office parking space that isn't utilised on an evening, which could instead have served as a temporary Park and Ride site. Much in the same way as Durham do with Lumiere.

Pages (4) Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

• 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average