Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Will the north east ever adopt demand responsive transport

Will the north east ever adopt demand responsive transport

Will the north east ever adopt demand responsive transport

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

11 Jun 2023, 10:28 pm #1
Demand responsive transport has been working in quite a few areas, tees flex in the north east always seems to be about so with the plans to create a north east combined authority do you think we could ever get a regionwide DRT? Likely it would only work if most companies accept to receive funding to run a combined DRT network for local areas but it could be better than the current funding of under used buses in the area while still giving smaller towns and villages transport options. The problem with a lot of areas here especially the west of county durham and northumberland is that the population density is very low these small communities could easily be connected to bigger towns with DRT allowing them to access the wider bus network.
Countydurhambuses
11 Jun 2023, 10:28 pm #1

Demand responsive transport has been working in quite a few areas, tees flex in the north east always seems to be about so with the plans to create a north east combined authority do you think we could ever get a regionwide DRT? Likely it would only work if most companies accept to receive funding to run a combined DRT network for local areas but it could be better than the current funding of under used buses in the area while still giving smaller towns and villages transport options. The problem with a lot of areas here especially the west of county durham and northumberland is that the population density is very low these small communities could easily be connected to bigger towns with DRT allowing them to access the wider bus network.

col87

12 Jun 2023, 2:29 pm #2
(11 Jun 2023, 10:28 pm)Countydurhambuses Demand responsive transport has been working in quite a few areas, tees flex in the north east always seems to be about so with the plans to create a north east combined authority do you think we could ever get a regionwide DRT? Likely it would only work if most companies accept to receive funding to run a combined DRT network for local areas but it could be better than the current funding of under used buses in the area while still giving smaller towns and villages transport options. The problem with a lot of areas here especially the west of county durham and northumberland is that the population density is very low these small communities could easily be connected to bigger towns with DRT allowing them to access the wider bus network.

The answer to that would I think be no.  Tees flex has hardly been a success and is really just an expensive vanity project. They haven’t really worked in the past when tried either.
col87
12 Jun 2023, 2:29 pm #2

(11 Jun 2023, 10:28 pm)Countydurhambuses Demand responsive transport has been working in quite a few areas, tees flex in the north east always seems to be about so with the plans to create a north east combined authority do you think we could ever get a regionwide DRT? Likely it would only work if most companies accept to receive funding to run a combined DRT network for local areas but it could be better than the current funding of under used buses in the area while still giving smaller towns and villages transport options. The problem with a lot of areas here especially the west of county durham and northumberland is that the population density is very low these small communities could easily be connected to bigger towns with DRT allowing them to access the wider bus network.

The answer to that would I think be no.  Tees flex has hardly been a success and is really just an expensive vanity project. They haven’t really worked in the past when tried either.

12 Jun 2023, 3:46 pm #3
(12 Jun 2023, 2:29 pm)col87 The answer to that would I think be no.  Tees flex has hardly been a success and is really just an expensive vanity project. They haven’t really worked in the past when tried either.

It probably depends how it works out i can see a big issue being that since the vast majority of rural areas have a higher elderly population that it would be harder for them to use a phone app.
Countydurhambuses
12 Jun 2023, 3:46 pm #3

(12 Jun 2023, 2:29 pm)col87 The answer to that would I think be no.  Tees flex has hardly been a success and is really just an expensive vanity project. They haven’t really worked in the past when tried either.

It probably depends how it works out i can see a big issue being that since the vast majority of rural areas have a higher elderly population that it would be harder for them to use a phone app.

Adrian

12 Jun 2023, 4:42 pm #4

The choice is likely to be taken out of their hands. Looking at the vote share across the region, the Mayor elected next May is most likely going to be the Labour candidate. The front-runner has already committed to urgently taking buses back into public control.

I remain to be convinced about DRT vs other options, such as redistributing the network, but clearly we need to find a sensible way of serving these smaller communities and not cutting them off.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
12 Jun 2023, 4:42 pm #4

The choice is likely to be taken out of their hands. Looking at the vote share across the region, the Mayor elected next May is most likely going to be the Labour candidate. The front-runner has already committed to urgently taking buses back into public control.

I remain to be convinced about DRT vs other options, such as redistributing the network, but clearly we need to find a sensible way of serving these smaller communities and not cutting them off.

12 Jun 2023, 4:48 pm #5
(12 Jun 2023, 4:42 pm)Adrian The choice is likely to be taken out of their hands. Looking at the vote share across the region, the Mayor elected next May is most likely going to be the Labour candidate. The front-runner has already committed to urgently taking buses back into public control.

Having the buses in public control would be interesting, at least that'd be a better use of the absurd council tax some places in the north east pay
Countydurhambuses
12 Jun 2023, 4:48 pm #5

(12 Jun 2023, 4:42 pm)Adrian The choice is likely to be taken out of their hands. Looking at the vote share across the region, the Mayor elected next May is most likely going to be the Labour candidate. The front-runner has already committed to urgently taking buses back into public control.

Having the buses in public control would be interesting, at least that'd be a better use of the absurd council tax some places in the north east pay

Adrian

12 Jun 2023, 7:32 pm #6
(12 Jun 2023, 4:48 pm)Countydurhambuses Having the buses in public control would be interesting, at least that'd be a better use of the absurd council tax some places in the north east pay

It varies depending on area, but Council Tax generally doesn't cover a third of a Council's budget. In Sunderland I think its around 15%, but their average bill is a lot lower than say Durham for example.

There's money ringfenced in the devolution deal, which is set to be topped up every 5 years, for transport. The initial pot is about £1bn if I recall correctly.

Adrian
12 Jun 2023, 7:32 pm #6

(12 Jun 2023, 4:48 pm)Countydurhambuses Having the buses in public control would be interesting, at least that'd be a better use of the absurd council tax some places in the north east pay

It varies depending on area, but Council Tax generally doesn't cover a third of a Council's budget. In Sunderland I think its around 15%, but their average bill is a lot lower than say Durham for example.

There's money ringfenced in the devolution deal, which is set to be topped up every 5 years, for transport. The initial pot is about £1bn if I recall correctly.

12 Jun 2023, 8:20 pm #7
(12 Jun 2023, 7:32 pm)Adrian It varies depending on area, but Council Tax generally doesn't cover a third of a Council's budget. In Sunderland I think its around 15%, but their average bill is a lot lower than say Durham for example.

We have less people but house value compared with tax is definitely high
Countydurhambuses
12 Jun 2023, 8:20 pm #7

(12 Jun 2023, 7:32 pm)Adrian It varies depending on area, but Council Tax generally doesn't cover a third of a Council's budget. In Sunderland I think its around 15%, but their average bill is a lot lower than say Durham for example.

We have less people but house value compared with tax is definitely high

James101

12 Jun 2023, 9:27 pm #8
I think DRT gets an unfair rep. They absolutely do not make money and they never will, despite most launch press releases for them claiming they will one day become self sufficient. As I see it, they are a snazzy Dial-A-Ride, which has an image problem a service for the elderly and disabled but exist in many council areas without the criticism DRT attracts. What really needs to happen is a pooling of resources to reduce costs - could minibuses (council & operator) used for home-to-school transport be employed inter-school hours through a shared software platform to provide DRT in isolated areas?
James101
12 Jun 2023, 9:27 pm #8

I think DRT gets an unfair rep. They absolutely do not make money and they never will, despite most launch press releases for them claiming they will one day become self sufficient. As I see it, they are a snazzy Dial-A-Ride, which has an image problem a service for the elderly and disabled but exist in many council areas without the criticism DRT attracts. What really needs to happen is a pooling of resources to reduce costs - could minibuses (council & operator) used for home-to-school transport be employed inter-school hours through a shared software platform to provide DRT in isolated areas?

23 Mar 2024, 3:19 pm #9
Instead of a full DRT scheme, could you have automated timetables based on demand. You would put notes in the timetable saying some journeys run only on request by booking them beforehand.
Edited 23 Mar 2024, 3:20 pm by ASX_Terranova.

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
ASX_Terranova
23 Mar 2024, 3:19 pm #9

Instead of a full DRT scheme, could you have automated timetables based on demand. You would put notes in the timetable saying some journeys run only on request by booking them beforehand.

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/

Bazza

23 Mar 2024, 6:45 pm #10
(23 Mar 2024, 3:19 pm)ASX_Terranova Instead of a full DRT scheme, could you have automated timetables based on demand. You would put notes in the timetable saying some journeys run only on request by booking them beforehand.

How do you staff this?   Surely you either have drivers sitting around doing nothing, or the booking has to be done quite a bit beforehand to arrange cover?
Bazza
23 Mar 2024, 6:45 pm #10

(23 Mar 2024, 3:19 pm)ASX_Terranova Instead of a full DRT scheme, could you have automated timetables based on demand. You would put notes in the timetable saying some journeys run only on request by booking them beforehand.

How do you staff this?   Surely you either have drivers sitting around doing nothing, or the booking has to be done quite a bit beforehand to arrange cover?

DeltaMan

23 Mar 2024, 8:23 pm #11
I'm a fan of these sort of schemes. Fixed times at main stops and then DRT for the offshoots. Sadly, local authorities that used to pay for those are going fully DRT
DeltaMan
23 Mar 2024, 8:23 pm #11

I'm a fan of these sort of schemes. Fixed times at main stops and then DRT for the offshoots. Sadly, local authorities that used to pay for those are going fully DRT

Storx

23 Mar 2024, 8:27 pm #12
DRT's need to renamed to Shared Taxis. Be interesting to see how demand would change if they were advertised as a taxi where you have to travel with other people and instead of going from A -> B, you have to go via C and D but for doing so you get a much discounted fare.

These taxis will run 24/7 so when you need to get home from a night out, the option is available.

It's basically what DRT is but sounds so much more attractive imo.
Storx
23 Mar 2024, 8:27 pm #12

DRT's need to renamed to Shared Taxis. Be interesting to see how demand would change if they were advertised as a taxi where you have to travel with other people and instead of going from A -> B, you have to go via C and D but for doing so you get a much discounted fare.

These taxis will run 24/7 so when you need to get home from a night out, the option is available.

It's basically what DRT is but sounds so much more attractive imo.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average