Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Tyne Bridge Works 2023-27 (ish)

Tyne Bridge Works 2023-27 (ish)

Tyne Bridge Works 2023-27 (ish)

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6) 1 2 36 Next
Ambassador

18 Jul 2023, 12:09 pm #1
So this September the long awaited refurbishment of the Tyne Bridge begins and it's going to be really interesting to see how its managed. 

September through December shouldn't see a huge amount of disruption (at least during peak) but from January 2024 lane closures and serious disruption kicks in 

And with the potential for the High Level works to require intermittent closures...who'd be a planner?

In the world of ideal transport integration, folk would get off their bus at Heworth or Gateshead and enjoy free travel across to Newcastle but I doubt Metro has the capacity, will or reliability to be that option in its current guise. 

We've seen from the closure of the Central Motorway through to the current 1 lane operation impact operations.

Disruption looks entirely unavoidable but it'll be interesting to see what comes out of it in terms of planning. From my own personal stand point, on Colleagues 'office day' - we're either planning to abandon these, switch to monthly or allow colleagues to change their hours to avoid the worst of the disruption

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
18 Jul 2023, 12:09 pm #1

So this September the long awaited refurbishment of the Tyne Bridge begins and it's going to be really interesting to see how its managed. 

September through December shouldn't see a huge amount of disruption (at least during peak) but from January 2024 lane closures and serious disruption kicks in 

And with the potential for the High Level works to require intermittent closures...who'd be a planner?

In the world of ideal transport integration, folk would get off their bus at Heworth or Gateshead and enjoy free travel across to Newcastle but I doubt Metro has the capacity, will or reliability to be that option in its current guise. 

We've seen from the closure of the Central Motorway through to the current 1 lane operation impact operations.

Disruption looks entirely unavoidable but it'll be interesting to see what comes out of it in terms of planning. From my own personal stand point, on Colleagues 'office day' - we're either planning to abandon these, switch to monthly or allow colleagues to change their hours to avoid the worst of the disruption

V514DFT

18 Jul 2023, 12:38 pm #2
See another option could be is to terminate all buses at Gateshead, or in the case of the 1 Newcastle, then operate a shuttle across, in my mind anyway it works less buses getting caught up, but then Gateshead would be a huge bottleneck unless planned properly

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
18 Jul 2023, 12:38 pm #2

See another option could be is to terminate all buses at Gateshead, or in the case of the 1 Newcastle, then operate a shuttle across, in my mind anyway it works less buses getting caught up, but then Gateshead would be a huge bottleneck unless planned properly

Kind Regards
Tez

Andreos1

18 Jul 2023, 12:42 pm #3
(18 Jul 2023, 12:09 pm)Ambassador So this September the long awaited refurbishment of the Tyne Bridge begins and it's going to be really interesting to see how its managed. 

What they need, is a riverbus up and down the Tyne... 

What they will get, is a load more white paint and traffic lights hoyed around with wild abandon, snarled up traffic and an even worse bus service than we have now.

Oh and poor passenger numbers being blamed on the roadworks in shareholder reports.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
18 Jul 2023, 12:42 pm #3

(18 Jul 2023, 12:09 pm)Ambassador So this September the long awaited refurbishment of the Tyne Bridge begins and it's going to be really interesting to see how its managed. 

What they need, is a riverbus up and down the Tyne... 

What they will get, is a load more white paint and traffic lights hoyed around with wild abandon, snarled up traffic and an even worse bus service than we have now.

Oh and poor passenger numbers being blamed on the roadworks in shareholder reports.

ne14ne1

18 Jul 2023, 7:02 pm #4
Wasn’t the plan for the Tyne Bridge to have 1 northbound general traffic lane, 1 northbound bus lane and 1 southbound general traffic lane?
ne14ne1
18 Jul 2023, 7:02 pm #4

Wasn’t the plan for the Tyne Bridge to have 1 northbound general traffic lane, 1 northbound bus lane and 1 southbound general traffic lane?

18 Jul 2023, 7:11 pm #5
Ideally, We would see the metro saving the day but really this will not happen. We've already seen the building fire a couple of weeks ago.
NEbushopper
18 Jul 2023, 7:11 pm #5

Ideally, We would see the metro saving the day but really this will not happen. We've already seen the building fire a couple of weeks ago.

Adrian

18 Jul 2023, 8:36 pm #6

The ideal solution, if they're serious about improving air quality, would be to switch the Swing Bridge to bus only. Send everything up Dean Street/Moseley Street Northbound, and out via the High Level Southbound. 

You're right that the Metro doesn't have the capacity. It can be tight at peak times at present, especially with the removal of the peak time extras, so adding a load of South-of-the-Tyne bus passengers to that is a recipe for disaster.

(18 Jul 2023, 12:42 pm)Andreos1 What they need, is a riverbus up and down the Tyne... 

What about the Pennywell to Hendon cable car? Maybe that has merit in cutting congestion on Chester Road?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
18 Jul 2023, 8:36 pm #6

The ideal solution, if they're serious about improving air quality, would be to switch the Swing Bridge to bus only. Send everything up Dean Street/Moseley Street Northbound, and out via the High Level Southbound. 

You're right that the Metro doesn't have the capacity. It can be tight at peak times at present, especially with the removal of the peak time extras, so adding a load of South-of-the-Tyne bus passengers to that is a recipe for disaster.

(18 Jul 2023, 12:42 pm)Andreos1 What they need, is a riverbus up and down the Tyne... 

What about the Pennywell to Hendon cable car? Maybe that has merit in cutting congestion on Chester Road?

Andreos1

18 Jul 2023, 9:01 pm #7
(18 Jul 2023, 8:36 pm)Adrian The ideal solution, if they're serious about improving air quality, would be to switch the Swing Bridge to bus only. Send everything up Dean Street/Moseley Street Northbound, and out via the High Level Southbound. 

Don't be daft. All Sunderland Council can do is build a bypass to bypass an existing bypass. Or narrow a dual-carriageway to build a bus lane and then a cycle lane alongside it.

Mind, they've got a bit of an obsession with bridges at the moment (that Spire Bridge and the new one that goes to the SoL), so maybe there's merit in a bridge from Pennywell to the Cemetery, then some sort of bypass to bypass the other roads to get to Hendon.

Andreos1
18 Jul 2023, 9:01 pm #7

(18 Jul 2023, 8:36 pm)Adrian The ideal solution, if they're serious about improving air quality, would be to switch the Swing Bridge to bus only. Send everything up Dean Street/Moseley Street Northbound, and out via the High Level Southbound. 

Don't be daft. All Sunderland Council can do is build a bypass to bypass an existing bypass. Or narrow a dual-carriageway to build a bus lane and then a cycle lane alongside it.

Mind, they've got a bit of an obsession with bridges at the moment (that Spire Bridge and the new one that goes to the SoL), so maybe there's merit in a bridge from Pennywell to the Cemetery, then some sort of bypass to bypass the other roads to get to Hendon.

Ambassador

18 Jul 2023, 11:27 pm #8
Western Bypass roadworks at their peak, High Level closing, remodelling in the city centre, Gatesheads never ending roadworks…it’s a perfect storm of planners ineptitude

I was thinking completely extreme and non doable scenarios in my mind

X10 omits Gateshead and Heworth and goes via Tyne Tunnel. Connections maintained by metro

X21 and Stanley services via Scotwood Bridge

Terminate service at Metrocentre and offer onward train or shuttle bus connections via suitable route (opens up Scotswood or Redheugh)

I think it’s really only the peak where we’ll see the mass disruption and we sort of see a lower level of that now.

Ambassador
18 Jul 2023, 11:27 pm #8

Western Bypass roadworks at their peak, High Level closing, remodelling in the city centre, Gatesheads never ending roadworks…it’s a perfect storm of planners ineptitude

I was thinking completely extreme and non doable scenarios in my mind

X10 omits Gateshead and Heworth and goes via Tyne Tunnel. Connections maintained by metro

X21 and Stanley services via Scotwood Bridge

Terminate service at Metrocentre and offer onward train or shuttle bus connections via suitable route (opens up Scotswood or Redheugh)

I think it’s really only the peak where we’ll see the mass disruption and we sort of see a lower level of that now.

citaro5284

07 Sep 2023, 5:07 pm #9
Tyne Bridge's £32m restoration set to begin at last – with work starting day after Great North Run

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...j2cX8nwnDo
citaro5284
07 Sep 2023, 5:07 pm #9

Tyne Bridge's £32m restoration set to begin at last – with work starting day after Great North Run

MurdnunoC

07 Sep 2023, 8:25 pm #10
(07 Sep 2023, 5:07 pm)citaro5284 Tyne Bridge's £32m restoration set to begin at last – with work starting day after Great North Run

Surprised they've went with Esh rather than Best Impressions for the repaint. I guess we won't be seeing a two-tone blue Tyne Bridge with a road-stripe after all.
MurdnunoC
07 Sep 2023, 8:25 pm #10

(07 Sep 2023, 5:07 pm)citaro5284 Tyne Bridge's £32m restoration set to begin at last – with work starting day after Great North Run

Surprised they've went with Esh rather than Best Impressions for the repaint. I guess we won't be seeing a two-tone blue Tyne Bridge with a road-stripe after all.

mb134

07 Sep 2023, 8:26 pm #11
(07 Sep 2023, 8:25 pm)MurdnunoC Surprised they've went with Esh rather than Best Impressions for the repaint. I guess we won't be seeing a two-tone blue Tyne Bridge with a road-stripe after all.

So you're saying no desire will be created? Disgraceful.
mb134
07 Sep 2023, 8:26 pm #11

(07 Sep 2023, 8:25 pm)MurdnunoC Surprised they've went with Esh rather than Best Impressions for the repaint. I guess we won't be seeing a two-tone blue Tyne Bridge with a road-stripe after all.

So you're saying no desire will be created? Disgraceful.

Storx

07 Sep 2023, 8:45 pm #12
I'm baffled how it's taking 5 years, it only took 3 years to build the thing and technology was much less advanced back then.
Storx
07 Sep 2023, 8:45 pm #12

I'm baffled how it's taking 5 years, it only took 3 years to build the thing and technology was much less advanced back then.

Ambassador

07 Sep 2023, 8:47 pm #13
(07 Sep 2023, 8:45 pm)Storx I'm baffled how it's taking 5 years, it only took 3 years to build the thing and technology was much less advanced back then.

It’s in a horrendous state and it’s listed which adds complications, alongside them having to take their time doing it’s not a full closure

Ambassador
07 Sep 2023, 8:47 pm #13

(07 Sep 2023, 8:45 pm)Storx I'm baffled how it's taking 5 years, it only took 3 years to build the thing and technology was much less advanced back then.

It’s in a horrendous state and it’s listed which adds complications, alongside them having to take their time doing it’s not a full closure

V514DFT

07 Sep 2023, 10:26 pm #14
I cant believe shes been left to rot for so long, well atleast shes finally getting some well deserved TLC

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
07 Sep 2023, 10:26 pm #14

I cant believe shes been left to rot for so long, well atleast shes finally getting some well deserved TLC

Kind Regards
Tez

Adrian

08 Sep 2023, 6:48 am #15
(07 Sep 2023, 10:26 pm)V514DFT I cant believe shes been left to rot for so long, well atleast shes finally getting some well deserved TLC
I'm not surprised in the slightest. It follows the pattern of 13 years of austerity.

It's why we also have crumbling schools and hospitals.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Adrian
08 Sep 2023, 6:48 am #15

(07 Sep 2023, 10:26 pm)V514DFT I cant believe shes been left to rot for so long, well atleast shes finally getting some well deserved TLC
I'm not surprised in the slightest. It follows the pattern of 13 years of austerity.

V514DFT

08 Sep 2023, 8:53 am #16
(08 Sep 2023, 6:48 am)Adrian I'm not surprised in the slightest. It follows the pattern of 13 years of austerity.

Crap government

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
08 Sep 2023, 8:53 am #16

(08 Sep 2023, 6:48 am)Adrian I'm not surprised in the slightest. It follows the pattern of 13 years of austerity.

Crap government

Kind Regards
Tez

Ambassador

08 Sep 2023, 8:55 am #17
The contingency plans are due to be announced in Autumn which is a vague timeline.

I can't see GNE wanting to send half their fleet over the Tyne Bridge to sit in traffic like it did during the recent fire

Ambassador
08 Sep 2023, 8:55 am #17

The contingency plans are due to be announced in Autumn which is a vague timeline.

I can't see GNE wanting to send half their fleet over the Tyne Bridge to sit in traffic like it did during the recent fire

Storx

08 Sep 2023, 9:02 am #18
(08 Sep 2023, 8:55 am)Ambassador The contingency plans are due to be announced in Autumn which is a vague timeline.

They should make the Swing Bridge towards Newcastle only, buses only imo, would help them get through and promote people to use them during the problems. There's a bus lane all the way from the Interchange to it as far as I'm aware.

The Quayside is going to turn a car park otherwise.

Obviously there's the High Level Bridge in the other direction.
Storx
08 Sep 2023, 9:02 am #18

(08 Sep 2023, 8:55 am)Ambassador The contingency plans are due to be announced in Autumn which is a vague timeline.

They should make the Swing Bridge towards Newcastle only, buses only imo, would help them get through and promote people to use them during the problems. There's a bus lane all the way from the Interchange to it as far as I'm aware.

Andreos1

08 Sep 2023, 10:38 am #19

I heard reason RS didn't tender for it, was down the fact the design of the bridge didn't lend itself to the inevitable diagonal line

I can't see GNE wanting to send half their fleet over the Tyne Bridge to sit in traffic
like it did during the recent fire

It's what they do every day isn't it?
Edited 08 Sep 2023, 10:39 am by Andreos1.

Andreos1
08 Sep 2023, 10:38 am #19

I heard reason RS didn't tender for it, was down the fact the design of the bridge didn't lend itself to the inevitable diagonal line

I can't see GNE wanting to send half their fleet over the Tyne Bridge to sit in traffic
like it did during the recent fire

It's what they do every day isn't it?

Adrian

08 Sep 2023, 11:13 am #20

(08 Sep 2023, 9:02 am)Storx They should make the Swing Bridge towards Newcastle only, buses only imo, would help them get through and promote people to use them during the problems. There's a bus lane all the way from the Interchange to it as far as I'm aware.

I'd suggested this previously on the forum, and imo, it's the only sensible option available. We know traffic is going to be a nightmare, so it's up to Newcastle and Gateshead Councils to make buses part of the solution, not the problem.

It wouldn't require many changes to implement either. There's already a bus lane coming down from High Street, which changes into a filter lane for the Swing Bridge just before the Askew Road junction lights. Have this as Sage Car Park only, with the Swing Bridge turning into a temporary bus gate. Southbound continues as is, over the High Level Bridge.

It's one of those scenarios where there's not a lot the operators can do, if the Councils don't play ball. Terminating everything at Gateshead would be one option, but I think we'd sharp discover that the Metro cannot cope with the additional loadings.

Adrian
08 Sep 2023, 11:13 am #20

(08 Sep 2023, 9:02 am)Storx They should make the Swing Bridge towards Newcastle only, buses only imo, would help them get through and promote people to use them during the problems. There's a bus lane all the way from the Interchange to it as far as I'm aware.

I'd suggested this previously on the forum, and imo, it's the only sensible option available. We know traffic is going to be a nightmare, so it's up to Newcastle and Gateshead Councils to make buses part of the solution, not the problem.

It wouldn't require many changes to implement either. There's already a bus lane coming down from High Street, which changes into a filter lane for the Swing Bridge just before the Askew Road junction lights. Have this as Sage Car Park only, with the Swing Bridge turning into a temporary bus gate. Southbound continues as is, over the High Level Bridge.

It's one of those scenarios where there's not a lot the operators can do, if the Councils don't play ball. Terminating everything at Gateshead would be one option, but I think we'd sharp discover that the Metro cannot cope with the additional loadings.

Pages (6) 1 2 36 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average