Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action

Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action

Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action

• 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average

Pages (70) Previous 167 68 69 70 Next
Adrian

02 Dec 2023, 3:42 pm #1,341
(02 Dec 2023, 1:26 pm)Dan Surely you don’t actually believe this wasn’t discussed and agreed with Local Authorities and Transport North East prior to implementation?

Heck, the fact that Councillor Gannon was the first to announce it - ahead of the company - tells you that TNE were clearly involved.

The reason for the change to singles and returns is simply in response to customer and colleague feedback this morning, and down to how customers have responded to the offer on day one, thus avoiding putting drivers in a situation of conflict.

Effectively the offer remains the same - albeit now excludes TNE products - as customers can still travel all day for free.

'How customers have responded to the offer on day one'? You're not suggesting that customers would have actively persuaded Go North East not to offer a issue a free ticket, which entitles them to travel on other operators and the Metro?

The offer is completely different now. It's free travel on one operator, as oppose to free multi-modal transport across the region.

This was perhaps a good gesture in theory (and recognising this is very likely a first from an operator), but to significantly shift the goal posts now shows that it's ill-conceived in practice.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
02 Dec 2023, 3:42 pm #1,341

(02 Dec 2023, 1:26 pm)Dan Surely you don’t actually believe this wasn’t discussed and agreed with Local Authorities and Transport North East prior to implementation?

Heck, the fact that Councillor Gannon was the first to announce it - ahead of the company - tells you that TNE were clearly involved.

The reason for the change to singles and returns is simply in response to customer and colleague feedback this morning, and down to how customers have responded to the offer on day one, thus avoiding putting drivers in a situation of conflict.

Effectively the offer remains the same - albeit now excludes TNE products - as customers can still travel all day for free.

'How customers have responded to the offer on day one'? You're not suggesting that customers would have actively persuaded Go North East not to offer a issue a free ticket, which entitles them to travel on other operators and the Metro?

The offer is completely different now. It's free travel on one operator, as oppose to free multi-modal transport across the region.

This was perhaps a good gesture in theory (and recognising this is very likely a first from an operator), but to significantly shift the goal posts now shows that it's ill-conceived in practice.

MurdnunoC

02 Dec 2023, 3:58 pm #1,342
What a bunch of utter cowboys.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk
MurdnunoC
02 Dec 2023, 3:58 pm #1,342

What a bunch of utter cowboys.

BusLoverMum

02 Dec 2023, 4:00 pm #1,343
(02 Dec 2023, 12:53 pm)mb134 People who live in and around Durham and have Arriva weekly/monthly tickets?

The people who just get on the first bus which comes (given the current £2 singles)?

People who use journey planners such as Google Maps, and the X12 is the next bus at their stop?

All this and, when GNE buses are running, the X12 is pretty reliable. It's also a lot quicker from Durham than the 21 as it doesn't stop everywhere or detour via Arnison.

Add in people with concessionary passes who don't have to be loyal to any bus company.
BusLoverMum
02 Dec 2023, 4:00 pm #1,343

(02 Dec 2023, 12:53 pm)mb134 People who live in and around Durham and have Arriva weekly/monthly tickets?

The people who just get on the first bus which comes (given the current £2 singles)?

People who use journey planners such as Google Maps, and the X12 is the next bus at their stop?

All this and, when GNE buses are running, the X12 is pretty reliable. It's also a lot quicker from Durham than the 21 as it doesn't stop everywhere or detour via Arnison.

Add in people with concessionary passes who don't have to be loyal to any bus company.

F114TML

02 Dec 2023, 4:13 pm #1,344
(02 Dec 2023, 9:42 am)streetdeckfan We were following the X21 and 6 earlier, one was packed, the other not. Can you guess which one?

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

I'm on the 13 at the minute and I could've written a short novel on that trip I've just done! Loadings are comparable to the 18 or 99.
F114TML
02 Dec 2023, 4:13 pm #1,344

(02 Dec 2023, 9:42 am)streetdeckfan We were following the X21 and 6 earlier, one was packed, the other not. Can you guess which one?

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

I'm on the 13 at the minute and I could've written a short novel on that trip I've just done! Loadings are comparable to the 18 or 99.

DeltaMan

02 Dec 2023, 4:17 pm #1,345

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would the drivers be in conflict with customers? The news story yesterday clearly said TNE Day Tickets could be bought for nothing, so that is the expectation.

Surely the only thing putting drivers in conflict is the company withdrawing the TNE element after it went live. Nice first day back for some of them I bet
DeltaMan
02 Dec 2023, 4:17 pm #1,345

Why would the drivers be in conflict with customers? The news story yesterday clearly said TNE Day Tickets could be bought for nothing, so that is the expectation.

Surely the only thing putting drivers in conflict is the company withdrawing the TNE element after it went live. Nice first day back for some of them I bet

Dan

Site Administrator

02 Dec 2023, 4:21 pm #1,346
(02 Dec 2023, 3:42 pm)Adrian 'How customers have responded to the offer on day one'? You're not suggesting that customers would have actively persuaded Go North East not to offer a issue a free ticket, which entitles them to travel on other operators and the Metro?

Obviously not. I was referring to the confusion around which tickets could be purchased (or obtained free of charge), resultant delays to boarding times, and some customers simply boarding the bus and sitting down without stating which ticket they were actually wanting. All of which added to conflict on buses this morning, according to the company’s drivers who fed this back to their depot teams, and the company promptly reacted.

The offer remains much the same to the majority of customers (given the majority of tickets operators sell are single, returns and operator-specific day tickets).

This was - and still is - a very good gesture, with one aim to re-build trust in the company and get people back on board, and also to avoid conflict situations for drivers after prolonged strike action (hence the prompt response to drivers’ feedback this morning). We can all understand why some of Go North East’s competitors would be against them doing this, but as customers - for once - let’s simply see this for what it is.

Arguably an even simpler thing to do would have been simply to have a button push for free travel.

Dan
02 Dec 2023, 4:21 pm #1,346

(02 Dec 2023, 3:42 pm)Adrian 'How customers have responded to the offer on day one'? You're not suggesting that customers would have actively persuaded Go North East not to offer a issue a free ticket, which entitles them to travel on other operators and the Metro?

Obviously not. I was referring to the confusion around which tickets could be purchased (or obtained free of charge), resultant delays to boarding times, and some customers simply boarding the bus and sitting down without stating which ticket they were actually wanting. All of which added to conflict on buses this morning, according to the company’s drivers who fed this back to their depot teams, and the company promptly reacted.

The offer remains much the same to the majority of customers (given the majority of tickets operators sell are single, returns and operator-specific day tickets).

This was - and still is - a very good gesture, with one aim to re-build trust in the company and get people back on board, and also to avoid conflict situations for drivers after prolonged strike action (hence the prompt response to drivers’ feedback this morning). We can all understand why some of Go North East’s competitors would be against them doing this, but as customers - for once - let’s simply see this for what it is.

Arguably an even simpler thing to do would have been simply to have a button push for free travel.

Adrian

02 Dec 2023, 4:22 pm #1,347
(02 Dec 2023, 4:17 pm)DeltaMan Why would the drivers be in conflict with customers? The news story yesterday clearly said TNE Day Tickets could be bought for nothing, so that is the expectation.

I suppose that's one thing that will impact the management desire for 'productivity'; buses running late due to drivers having to argue the toss with customers, who suddenly realise that they're being demanded a fare for the free day ticket they're expecting...

(02 Dec 2023, 4:21 pm)Dan Obviously not. I was referring to the confusion around which tickets could be purchased (or obtained free of charge), resultant delays to boarding times, and some customers simply boarding the bus and sitting down without stating which ticket they were actually wanting. All of which added to conflict on buses this morning.

This was - and still is - a very good gesture, with one aim to re-build trust in the company and get people back on board, and also to avoid conflict situations for drivers after prolonged strike action. For once let’s simply see this for what it is.

I'm not sure where the confusion would lie. The original T&Cs listed all your day tickets for free, unless I'm missing something obvious. Would it not be the same process for issuing the free ticket as it is to one that you collect a fare from?

I'd argue by moving the goal posts now, you're actually going to achieve everything that you've quite rightly tried to avoid as a company. It's drivers who are going to get it in the neck when customers are asked for a fare, when they're not expecting to pay for one. Isn't that only going to delay buses more?

Adrian
02 Dec 2023, 4:22 pm #1,347

(02 Dec 2023, 4:17 pm)DeltaMan Why would the drivers be in conflict with customers? The news story yesterday clearly said TNE Day Tickets could be bought for nothing, so that is the expectation.

I suppose that's one thing that will impact the management desire for 'productivity'; buses running late due to drivers having to argue the toss with customers, who suddenly realise that they're being demanded a fare for the free day ticket they're expecting...

(02 Dec 2023, 4:21 pm)Dan Obviously not. I was referring to the confusion around which tickets could be purchased (or obtained free of charge), resultant delays to boarding times, and some customers simply boarding the bus and sitting down without stating which ticket they were actually wanting. All of which added to conflict on buses this morning.

This was - and still is - a very good gesture, with one aim to re-build trust in the company and get people back on board, and also to avoid conflict situations for drivers after prolonged strike action. For once let’s simply see this for what it is.

I'm not sure where the confusion would lie. The original T&Cs listed all your day tickets for free, unless I'm missing something obvious. Would it not be the same process for issuing the free ticket as it is to one that you collect a fare from?

I'd argue by moving the goal posts now, you're actually going to achieve everything that you've quite rightly tried to avoid as a company. It's drivers who are going to get it in the neck when customers are asked for a fare, when they're not expecting to pay for one. Isn't that only going to delay buses more?

Dan

Site Administrator

02 Dec 2023, 4:39 pm #1,348
(02 Dec 2023, 4:22 pm)Adrian I'd argue by moving the goal posts now, you're actually going to achieve everything that you've quite rightly tried to avoid as a company. It's drivers who are going to get it in the neck when customers are asked for a fare, when they're not expecting to pay for one. Isn't that only going to delay buses more?

You’re right, it could. I suppose it depends how the driver reacts to that situation.

If the driver politely responds “single tickets are free, so just ask your drivers for singles all day” or similar, there’s probably no conflict to be had, as it still represents what most customers would have had with an operator-specific day ticket.

Of course, for those customers that do board without stating which ticket they wanted, the driver can simply issue a free single ticket and not call the customer back.

I dare say this will be a pleasant surprise for most customers as they board, not realising there was free travel in the first place (less than 2000 reactions to the Facebook post pales into insignificance compared to the six figure numbers that Go North East usually sees travel on a daily basis). Indeed, anecdotally, I remember that being the case for £1 evening fares, when that initiative was launched.

Dan
02 Dec 2023, 4:39 pm #1,348

(02 Dec 2023, 4:22 pm)Adrian I'd argue by moving the goal posts now, you're actually going to achieve everything that you've quite rightly tried to avoid as a company. It's drivers who are going to get it in the neck when customers are asked for a fare, when they're not expecting to pay for one. Isn't that only going to delay buses more?

You’re right, it could. I suppose it depends how the driver reacts to that situation.

If the driver politely responds “single tickets are free, so just ask your drivers for singles all day” or similar, there’s probably no conflict to be had, as it still represents what most customers would have had with an operator-specific day ticket.

Of course, for those customers that do board without stating which ticket they wanted, the driver can simply issue a free single ticket and not call the customer back.

I dare say this will be a pleasant surprise for most customers as they board, not realising there was free travel in the first place (less than 2000 reactions to the Facebook post pales into insignificance compared to the six figure numbers that Go North East usually sees travel on a daily basis). Indeed, anecdotally, I remember that being the case for £1 evening fares, when that initiative was launched.

Wybus

02 Dec 2023, 7:19 pm #1,349
Should be free travel for everyone except for the people moaning and complaining here who have to pay £4

I’m sure if Go North East posted a million quid through every letterbox in the north east some here would find fault
Wybus
02 Dec 2023, 7:19 pm #1,349

Should be free travel for everyone except for the people moaning and complaining here who have to pay £4

I’m sure if Go North East posted a million quid through every letterbox in the north east some here would find fault

itsadam

02 Dec 2023, 7:58 pm #1,350
Does anyone see a difference in drivers' attitudes?
itsadam
02 Dec 2023, 7:58 pm #1,350

Does anyone see a difference in drivers' attitudes?

MurdnunoC

02 Dec 2023, 8:08 pm #1,351
(02 Dec 2023, 7:19 pm)Wybus Should be free travel for everyone except for the people moaning and complaining here who have to pay £4

So if Go North East posted a cheque for a million quid through your letterbox, and you went to the bank to pay the cheque into your account only to find that the cheque had been cancelled, you wouldn't be annoyed?

Irrespective of the intended goodwill, or the realisation that was the gesture was largely unworkable, Go North East communicated an offer which was later rescinded without any real explanation given on their website. In my view, people have a right to be upset about that.

MurdnunoC
02 Dec 2023, 8:08 pm #1,351

(02 Dec 2023, 7:19 pm)Wybus Should be free travel for everyone except for the people moaning and complaining here who have to pay £4

So if Go North East posted a cheque for a million quid through your letterbox, and you went to the bank to pay the cheque into your account only to find that the cheque had been cancelled, you wouldn't be annoyed?

Irrespective of the intended goodwill, or the realisation that was the gesture was largely unworkable, Go North East communicated an offer which was later rescinded without any real explanation given on their website. In my view, people have a right to be upset about that.

Adrian

02 Dec 2023, 8:08 pm #1,352

The whole point of a forum is for discussion and debate. Just because someone has a difference of opinion, doesn't mean they're moaning!

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Adrian
02 Dec 2023, 8:08 pm #1,352

The whole point of a forum is for discussion and debate. Just because someone has a difference of opinion, doesn't mean they're moaning!

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

02 Dec 2023, 8:31 pm #1,353
(02 Dec 2023, 7:58 pm)itsadam Does anyone see a difference in drivers' attitudes?

My mam complained to me that a driver was rather arsey with her this morning as she thought she could get on and sit down. Called her back up to the cab and told her she needed at ticket, she said ok give me the ticket, then the driver demanded to ask where she was going. Mind this bearing in mind that she had waited over 30 minutes for a bus, even 3x 22s that were scheduled to turn up never showed up. Neither operator showing bus travel in a positive light, even if one was offering free travel.

Dread to think of the chaos around 10pm when the arena, city hall and St James' Park kick out at the end of their respective events.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
02 Dec 2023, 8:31 pm #1,353

(02 Dec 2023, 7:58 pm)itsadam Does anyone see a difference in drivers' attitudes?

My mam complained to me that a driver was rather arsey with her this morning as she thought she could get on and sit down. Called her back up to the cab and told her she needed at ticket, she said ok give me the ticket, then the driver demanded to ask where she was going. Mind this bearing in mind that she had waited over 30 minutes for a bus, even 3x 22s that were scheduled to turn up never showed up. Neither operator showing bus travel in a positive light, even if one was offering free travel.

Dread to think of the chaos around 10pm when the arena, city hall and St James' Park kick out at the end of their respective events.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

Michael

02 Dec 2023, 8:57 pm #1,354

Drivers attitude more important than a bus actually turning up....after 5 weeks of no service?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
02 Dec 2023, 8:57 pm #1,354

Drivers attitude more important than a bus actually turning up....after 5 weeks of no service?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Aaron21

02 Dec 2023, 9:16 pm #1,355

Out of the manu drivers I seen today. I've seen very very little of happy drivers
Aaron21
02 Dec 2023, 9:16 pm #1,355

Out of the manu drivers I seen today. I've seen very very little of happy drivers

MurdnunoC

02 Dec 2023, 9:24 pm #1,356
(02 Dec 2023, 9:16 pm)Aaron21 Out of the manu drivers I seen today. I've seen very very little of happy drivers
Well they are playing in Newcastle tonight, so I guess Man U drivers would be operating locally.

MurdnunoC
02 Dec 2023, 9:24 pm #1,356

(02 Dec 2023, 9:16 pm)Aaron21 Out of the manu drivers I seen today. I've seen very very little of happy drivers
Well they are playing in Newcastle tonight, so I guess Man U drivers would be operating locally.

02 Dec 2023, 10:33 pm #1,357
(02 Dec 2023, 8:31 pm)Rapidsnap My mam complained to me that a driver was rather arsey with her this morning as she thought she could get on and sit down. Called her back up to the cab and told her she needed at ticket, she said ok give me the ticket, then the driver demanded to ask where she was going. Mind this bearing in mind that she had waited over 30 minutes for a bus, even 3x 22s that were scheduled to turn up never showed up. Neither operator showing bus travel in a positive light, even if one was offering free travel.

I did a full return on the X10 today and both drivers just waved everyone straight on with no tickets issued (or destination asked for on  way back)
stagecoachfan
02 Dec 2023, 10:33 pm #1,357

(02 Dec 2023, 8:31 pm)Rapidsnap My mam complained to me that a driver was rather arsey with her this morning as she thought she could get on and sit down. Called her back up to the cab and told her she needed at ticket, she said ok give me the ticket, then the driver demanded to ask where she was going. Mind this bearing in mind that she had waited over 30 minutes for a bus, even 3x 22s that were scheduled to turn up never showed up. Neither operator showing bus travel in a positive light, even if one was offering free travel.

I did a full return on the X10 today and both drivers just waved everyone straight on with no tickets issued (or destination asked for on  way back)

itsadam

03 Dec 2023, 3:47 am #1,358
(02 Dec 2023, 8:57 pm)Michael Drivers attitude more important than a bus actually turning up....after 5 weeks of no service?

I could argue that customer service is as important as a punctual bus service
itsadam
03 Dec 2023, 3:47 am #1,358

(02 Dec 2023, 8:57 pm)Michael Drivers attitude more important than a bus actually turning up....after 5 weeks of no service?

I could argue that customer service is as important as a punctual bus service

Rob44

03 Dec 2023, 10:37 am #1,359
The 21 driver last night has dozens of tickets printing before he even pulled into the stand!
Rob44
03 Dec 2023, 10:37 am #1,359

The 21 driver last night has dozens of tickets printing before he even pulled into the stand!

big mac

03 Dec 2023, 11:34 am #1,360
No journey cancellation list any more?
big mac
03 Dec 2023, 11:34 am #1,360

No journey cancellation list any more?

Pages (70) Previous 167 68 69 70 Next

• 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average