North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East November 2023 changes

November 2023 changes

November 2023 changes

• 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average

Pages (7) Previous 15 6 7
Dan

Site Administrator

01 Dec 2023, 7:03 pm #121
(01 Dec 2023, 7:01 pm)Iamtheone8483748 THought they would have announced the changes even at such short notice considering I believe all of them are positive changes

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/service-ch...2-november

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
01 Dec 2023, 7:03 pm #121

(01 Dec 2023, 7:01 pm)Iamtheone8483748 THought they would have announced the changes even at such short notice considering I believe all of them are positive changes

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/service-ch...2-november

01 Dec 2023, 7:10 pm #122
Ah - didn't realise it had been posted a while ago, thanks
Iamtheone8483748
01 Dec 2023, 7:10 pm #122

Ah - didn't realise it had been posted a while ago, thanks

Unber43

01 Dec 2023, 7:12 pm #123
yeah, theyre but that doesnt mean people wont know the times i doubt the bus stops have been updated either.

Also where are the short notice journey cancellations list
Unber43
01 Dec 2023, 7:12 pm #123

yeah, theyre but that doesnt mean people wont know the times i doubt the bus stops have been updated either.

Adrian

01 Dec 2023, 7:22 pm #124
(01 Dec 2023, 7:12 pm)Unber43 yeah, theyre but that doesnt mean people wont know the times i doubt the bus stops have been updated either.

I tend to agree. The timetables for non-running services have been hidden online through the strike, so I think a few may be caught out by this.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
01 Dec 2023, 7:22 pm #124

(01 Dec 2023, 7:12 pm)Unber43 yeah, theyre but that doesnt mean people wont know the times i doubt the bus stops have been updated either.

I tend to agree. The timetables for non-running services have been hidden online through the strike, so I think a few may be caught out by this.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Storx

01 Dec 2023, 7:26 pm #125
If that's true, I'm not sure about them wasting 'investment' money on upping a bus service from every 15 minute to 12 minutes.

The point of the BSIP was about long term improvements to areas that don't have a service at all. Stuff like the 8, X24/X34 (evenings) and 434 I totally get as they're unserved at those times.

Same could be said about the X16 at Morpeth tbh.
Storx
01 Dec 2023, 7:26 pm #125

If that's true, I'm not sure about them wasting 'investment' money on upping a bus service from every 15 minute to 12 minutes.

The point of the BSIP was about long term improvements to areas that don't have a service at all. Stuff like the 8, X24/X34 (evenings) and 434 I totally get as they're unserved at those times.

Dan

Site Administrator

01 Dec 2023, 8:32 pm #126
(01 Dec 2023, 7:26 pm)Storx If that's true, I'm not sure about them wasting 'investment' money on upping a bus service from every 15 minute to 12 minutes.

That wasn’t the whole point of the BSIP.

You can read the Transport North East’s BSIP below:
https://www.transportnortheast.gov.uk/wp...v-25-2.pdf

Pages 11 and 12 cover network.

Presumably ‘Superbus’ has had to be scaled back (based on lower budget allocation and operators’ availability of staff), but service 56 would certainly fit a slightly scaled back version of the green category.

It seems sensible in my view for Nexus/Transport North East to use some of this subsidy to improve frequencies on routes like the 56, which are likely to be commercially viable after a year or so (when paired with other improvements covered by the BSIP such as improved fares and infrastructure).

Perhaps at the point which a 12-minute frequency becomes commercially viable, the next iteration would be to ‘pump prime’ an improved 10-minute frequency.

I am sure we will see Local Authorities use BSIP funding to do new things on the network too (I am sure operators and Local Authorities alike agree with some of the comments made on this forum previously about how little the network has evolved in our region) - indeed there are tender opportunities live at the moment.

Dan
01 Dec 2023, 8:32 pm #126

(01 Dec 2023, 7:26 pm)Storx If that's true, I'm not sure about them wasting 'investment' money on upping a bus service from every 15 minute to 12 minutes.

That wasn’t the whole point of the BSIP.

Presumably ‘Superbus’ has had to be scaled back (based on lower budget allocation and operators’ availability of staff), but service 56 would certainly fit a slightly scaled back version of the green category.

It seems sensible in my view for Nexus/Transport North East to use some of this subsidy to improve frequencies on routes like the 56, which are likely to be commercially viable after a year or so (when paired with other improvements covered by the BSIP such as improved fares and infrastructure).

Perhaps at the point which a 12-minute frequency becomes commercially viable, the next iteration would be to ‘pump prime’ an improved 10-minute frequency.

I am sure we will see Local Authorities use BSIP funding to do new things on the network too (I am sure operators and Local Authorities alike agree with some of the comments made on this forum previously about how little the network has evolved in our region) - indeed there are tender opportunities live at the moment.

Unber43

01 Dec 2023, 8:40 pm #127
Quite surprised the 60 was bumped with the 53/54

Or the X1 but I suppose they dont have the high spec vehicles for that
Unber43
01 Dec 2023, 8:40 pm #127

Quite surprised the 60 was bumped with the 53/54

Dan

Site Administrator

01 Dec 2023, 8:54 pm #128
(01 Dec 2023, 8:40 pm)Unber43 Quite surprised the 60 was bumped with the 53/54

How do you know they aren’t on a long list of services to improve once the staffing position allows?

Dan
01 Dec 2023, 8:54 pm #128

(01 Dec 2023, 8:40 pm)Unber43 Quite surprised the 60 was bumped with the 53/54

How do you know they aren’t on a long list of services to improve once the staffing position allows?

Storx

01 Dec 2023, 9:00 pm #129
(01 Dec 2023, 8:32 pm)Dan That wasn’t the whole point of the BSIP.

It seems sensible in my view for Nexus/Transport North East to use some of this subsidy to improve frequencies on routes like the 56, which are likely to be commercially viable after a year or so (when paired with other improvements covered by the BSIP such as  improved fares and infrastructure).

Wasn't direct subisidy of routes from it completely banned until very recently?

See personally, I think the money would be better spent on long term goals ie. infrastructure to make the routes quicker and actually more attractive so they can naturally grow. As far as I'm aware there's nothing planned for Old Durham Road. If those go well, then the bus route would naturally increase and in turn the frequency.

Unless the money is commited every year forever, eventually the money is just going to dry up and if things fail it's just going to be all cuts, at least new bus stops, bus lanes etc will always exist. I'm not sure people aren't using the 56 because it's every 15 minutes instead of every 12 minutes, for example. If we're going down those lists, it's the connect services that badly need the improvements - 25 for a prime example in the Harlow Green area or the 57 running on an evening since Wardley don't have a direct bus to Newcastle anymore etc.

Durham is the area that badly needs the improvements though, some of the Consett areas (Medomsley in particular) and Pit Villages (56 Arriva areas) have an absymal service nowadays.
Storx
01 Dec 2023, 9:00 pm #129

It seems sensible in my view for Nexus/Transport North East to use some of this subsidy to improve frequencies on routes like the 56, which are likely to be commercially viable after a year or so (when paired with other improvements covered by the BSIP such as  improved fares and infrastructure).

Wasn't direct subisidy of routes from it completely banned until very recently?

See personally, I think the money would be better spent on long term goals ie. infrastructure to make the routes quicker and actually more attractive so they can naturally grow. As far as I'm aware there's nothing planned for Old Durham Road. If those go well, then the bus route would naturally increase and in turn the frequency.

Unless the money is commited every year forever, eventually the money is just going to dry up and if things fail it's just going to be all cuts, at least new bus stops, bus lanes etc will always exist. I'm not sure people aren't using the 56 because it's every 15 minutes instead of every 12 minutes, for example. If we're going down those lists, it's the connect services that badly need the improvements - 25 for a prime example in the Harlow Green area or the 57 running on an evening since Wardley don't have a direct bus to Newcastle anymore etc.

Durham is the area that badly needs the improvements though, some of the Consett areas (Medomsley in particular) and Pit Villages (56 Arriva areas) have an absymal service nowadays.

Andreos1

01 Dec 2023, 9:13 pm #130

Weren't we all told the original reduction in frequency was to improve reliability?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
01 Dec 2023, 9:13 pm #130

Weren't we all told the original reduction in frequency was to improve reliability?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Unber43

01 Dec 2023, 9:28 pm #131
(01 Dec 2023, 8:54 pm)Dan How do you know they aren’t on a long list of services to improve once the staffing position allows?

Nice to know there is more! 

Is there any funding within the BSIP to try and trial new services for a trial period?
Unber43
01 Dec 2023, 9:28 pm #131

(01 Dec 2023, 8:54 pm)Dan How do you know they aren’t on a long list of services to improve once the staffing position allows?

Nice to know there is more! 

Is there any funding within the BSIP to try and trial new services for a trial period?

Pages (7) Previous 15 6 7

• 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average