Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Boxing Day Services

Boxing Day Services

Boxing Day Services

• 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (5) Previous 13 4 5
DeltaMan

26 Dec 2023, 11:40 am #81
(26 Dec 2023, 10:27 am)RobinHood They would have done, if NCC or Nexus had bothered to send the details to Arriva to include...

Well, I hope they aren't withdrawn next year as nobody knew about them this year....
DeltaMan
26 Dec 2023, 11:40 am #81

(26 Dec 2023, 10:27 am)RobinHood They would have done, if NCC or Nexus had bothered to send the details to Arriva to include...

Well, I hope they aren't withdrawn next year as nobody knew about them this year....

Dan

Site Administrator

26 Dec 2023, 2:09 pm #82
(26 Dec 2023, 10:57 am)Ambassador My 21 ran full from low fell.

Always a positive, but the highlight was spotting Dan at st Mary’s place

I’m just disappointed you didn’t say hello and allow me to buy you a pint! ‘Tis the season…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
26 Dec 2023, 2:09 pm #82

(26 Dec 2023, 10:57 am)Ambassador My 21 ran full from low fell.

Always a positive, but the highlight was spotting Dan at st Mary’s place

I’m just disappointed you didn’t say hello and allow me to buy you a pint! ‘Tis the season…

Dan

Site Administrator

26 Dec 2023, 2:11 pm #83

Of course, a proactive operator would have asked Nexus or Northumberland CC - even if Arriva aren’t running buses today, it is in their interests to publish the information.

Especially given they went to the effort of producing printed publicity last year.

What changed?

Dan
26 Dec 2023, 2:11 pm #83

Of course, a proactive operator would have asked Nexus or Northumberland CC - even if Arriva aren’t running buses today, it is in their interests to publish the information.

Especially given they went to the effort of producing printed publicity last year.

What changed?

Unber43

26 Dec 2023, 3:57 pm #84
Decent loads on the 43
Unber43
26 Dec 2023, 3:57 pm #84

Decent loads on the 43

Storx

26 Dec 2023, 5:10 pm #85
(26 Dec 2023, 10:58 am)L469 YVK The W*** RBB Tridents were awful on the 308 after being hammered on the 602 and to the extent that Jesmond never sent them out on the 306 on Sundays with B10BLE's or Palatines / 7445-46 used instead.

DB300's I think are okay.......but not as rapid as the E400MMC, not forgetting the DB300 is powered by a 205BHP Cummins unit whereas the E400/E400MMC is powered by a 240/250BHP Cummins unit. Got up to speed fairly quick this morning too!

The original E400 allocated (7501-06) were a bag of ***** as Arriva Blyth didn't look after their buses then contrary to Ashington's examples on the X31/X32/X33 (7507-13) which had a bit more TLC. In fact, anything that never touched the 308 or X93 out of that batch were sound.

In fairness that's just a choice of the engine they chose I guess, I'd imagine they could've had the higher BHP Cummins engine if someone wanted but no-one touched VDL vehicles because Arriva were the dealer. 

The VDL DB300's even now give a better passenger experience than the brand new MMC's which are riddled with rattles already and they've been in service just over a year.

ADL vehicles, generally, are a pile of crap imo. Sadly Wright have followed them in recent years as the Streetdeck (awful) is pretty much the replacement for the DB300. I'm still surprised there hasn't been a 2 axle Volvo Decker using the 8 litre engine found in some single deckers and the 3 axle decker they currently produce.
Edited 26 Dec 2023, 5:11 pm by Storx.
Storx
26 Dec 2023, 5:10 pm #85

(26 Dec 2023, 10:58 am)L469 YVK The W*** RBB Tridents were awful on the 308 after being hammered on the 602 and to the extent that Jesmond never sent them out on the 306 on Sundays with B10BLE's or Palatines / 7445-46 used instead.

DB300's I think are okay.......but not as rapid as the E400MMC, not forgetting the DB300 is powered by a 205BHP Cummins unit whereas the E400/E400MMC is powered by a 240/250BHP Cummins unit. Got up to speed fairly quick this morning too!

The original E400 allocated (7501-06) were a bag of ***** as Arriva Blyth didn't look after their buses then contrary to Ashington's examples on the X31/X32/X33 (7507-13) which had a bit more TLC. In fact, anything that never touched the 308 or X93 out of that batch were sound.

In fairness that's just a choice of the engine they chose I guess, I'd imagine they could've had the higher BHP Cummins engine if someone wanted but no-one touched VDL vehicles because Arriva were the dealer. 

The VDL DB300's even now give a better passenger experience than the brand new MMC's which are riddled with rattles already and they've been in service just over a year.

ADL vehicles, generally, are a pile of crap imo. Sadly Wright have followed them in recent years as the Streetdeck (awful) is pretty much the replacement for the DB300. I'm still surprised there hasn't been a 2 axle Volvo Decker using the 8 litre engine found in some single deckers and the 3 axle decker they currently produce.

Malarkey

26 Dec 2023, 6:00 pm #86
(26 Dec 2023, 5:10 pm)Storx In fairness that's just a choice of the engine they chose I guess, I'd imagine they could've had the higher BHP Cummins engine if someone wanted but no-one touched VDL vehicles because Arriva were the dealer. 

GNE's 6377 has a 7.7 Litre Engine, other than this one here in the North East I think only others ordered were by Bus Vannin, iirc there is an Ex KMB one now with Ensign also, large majority of 8 litre-ish have came in tri-axle format which is a shame as I agree more alternative options should be available on two-axle chassis.
Malarkey
26 Dec 2023, 6:00 pm #86

(26 Dec 2023, 5:10 pm)Storx In fairness that's just a choice of the engine they chose I guess, I'd imagine they could've had the higher BHP Cummins engine if someone wanted but no-one touched VDL vehicles because Arriva were the dealer. 

GNE's 6377 has a 7.7 Litre Engine, other than this one here in the North East I think only others ordered were by Bus Vannin, iirc there is an Ex KMB one now with Ensign also, large majority of 8 litre-ish have came in tri-axle format which is a shame as I agree more alternative options should be available on two-axle chassis.

RobinHood

26 Dec 2023, 10:03 pm #87
(26 Dec 2023, 2:11 pm)Dan Of course, a proactive operator would have asked Nexus or Northumberland CC - even if Arriva aren’t running buses today, it is in their interests to publish the information.

What changed?

What changed this year was the lack of any information provided.

A 'proactive' operator can only include what is sent, by the deadlines it is needed.
RobinHood
26 Dec 2023, 10:03 pm #87

(26 Dec 2023, 2:11 pm)Dan Of course, a proactive operator would have asked Nexus or Northumberland CC - even if Arriva aren’t running buses today, it is in their interests to publish the information.

What changed?

What changed this year was the lack of any information provided.

A 'proactive' operator can only include what is sent, by the deadlines it is needed.

L469 YVK

26 Dec 2023, 10:43 pm #88

See, I think the days of true heavyweight deckers are over especially since covid with only Stagecoach ordering Scania N250 E400MMCs.......although the standard ADL/Cummins E400MMC can handle most work if well looked after. The Stagecoach examples used on the 308 didn't seem to have any major rattles and both power deliveries felt very smooth compared to the usual Arriva DB300's.
L469 YVK
26 Dec 2023, 10:43 pm #88

See, I think the days of true heavyweight deckers are over especially since covid with only Stagecoach ordering Scania N250 E400MMCs.......although the standard ADL/Cummins E400MMC can handle most work if well looked after. The Stagecoach examples used on the 308 didn't seem to have any major rattles and both power deliveries felt very smooth compared to the usual Arriva DB300's.

Unber43

26 Dec 2023, 11:09 pm #89
Could it just not be the age?
Unber43
26 Dec 2023, 11:09 pm #89

Could it just not be the age?

Ambassador

26 Dec 2023, 11:48 pm #90
(26 Dec 2023, 2:09 pm)Dan I’m just disappointed you didn’t say hello and allow me to buy you a pint! ‘Tis the season…

I was in a rather large noisy group, I will stop by next time! 

Looks like the Angels recovered post match. The 3.50 I got home was pretty empty and had 15 wait time at Eldon. 

With most major retailers again closed on Boxing Day, it would be interesting to see how well used the services were without the match

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
26 Dec 2023, 11:48 pm #90

(26 Dec 2023, 2:09 pm)Dan I’m just disappointed you didn’t say hello and allow me to buy you a pint! ‘Tis the season…

I was in a rather large noisy group, I will stop by next time! 

Looks like the Angels recovered post match. The 3.50 I got home was pretty empty and had 15 wait time at Eldon. 

With most major retailers again closed on Boxing Day, it would be interesting to see how well used the services were without the match

Dan

Site Administrator

27 Dec 2023, 8:18 am #91
(26 Dec 2023, 10:03 pm)RobinHood What changed this year was the lack of any information provided.

We will have to agree to disagree - I know what I would have done had I worked for Arriva, but perhaps communication and working relationships with Local Authorities varies by operator.

In my view, a proactive operator would actively reach out to Local Authorities to ask the question, knowing fine well they have set a precedent in previous years to procure a service in Northumberland on Boxing Day. It would be odd of them to change their stance, especially with NUFC playing at home.

Fortunately, Arriva’s lack of comms to their customers didn’t seem to impact loadings significantly!

Dan
27 Dec 2023, 8:18 am #91

(26 Dec 2023, 10:03 pm)RobinHood What changed this year was the lack of any information provided.

We will have to agree to disagree - I know what I would have done had I worked for Arriva, but perhaps communication and working relationships with Local Authorities varies by operator.

In my view, a proactive operator would actively reach out to Local Authorities to ask the question, knowing fine well they have set a precedent in previous years to procure a service in Northumberland on Boxing Day. It would be odd of them to change their stance, especially with NUFC playing at home.

Fortunately, Arriva’s lack of comms to their customers didn’t seem to impact loadings significantly!

F114TML

27 Dec 2023, 9:41 am #92
(26 Dec 2023, 11:48 pm)Ambassador I was in a rather large noisy group, I will stop by next time! 

I paid in much more than I normally would for a day shift, if you want comparison, however it would be about right for a standard early shift.
Edited 27 Dec 2023, 9:42 am by F114TML.
F114TML
27 Dec 2023, 9:41 am #92

(26 Dec 2023, 11:48 pm)Ambassador I was in a rather large noisy group, I will stop by next time! 

I paid in much more than I normally would for a day shift, if you want comparison, however it would be about right for a standard early shift.

Ambassador

27 Dec 2023, 10:17 am #93
(27 Dec 2023, 9:41 am)F114TML I paid in much more than I normally would for a day shift, if you want comparison, however it would be about right for a standard early shift.

Ah that's interesting! Looking at the weather today the likes of next, johnlewis and m&s might not see the footfall they were hoping for!

Lack of trains on Boxing Day will help numbers too no doubt.

Ambassador
27 Dec 2023, 10:17 am #93

(27 Dec 2023, 9:41 am)F114TML I paid in much more than I normally would for a day shift, if you want comparison, however it would be about right for a standard early shift.

Ah that's interesting! Looking at the weather today the likes of next, johnlewis and m&s might not see the footfall they were hoping for!

BusLoverMum

27 Dec 2023, 12:57 pm #94
(27 Dec 2023, 10:17 am)Ambassador Ah that's interesting! Looking at the weather today the likes of next, johnlewis and m&s might not see the footfall they were hoping for!

I don’t know about Newcastle but no lack of footfall at the arnison centre, this morning.
BusLoverMum
27 Dec 2023, 12:57 pm #94

(27 Dec 2023, 10:17 am)Ambassador Ah that's interesting! Looking at the weather today the likes of next, johnlewis and m&s might not see the footfall they were hoping for!

I don’t know about Newcastle but no lack of footfall at the arnison centre, this morning.

Pages (5) Previous 13 4 5

• 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average