Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East 3995

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

N391OTY

27 Oct 2023, 12:03 am #1
Despite not having tracked in Bustimes since 1 September, I have noticed that 3995 (GNE's oldest service bus ???) is still very much with us. It has made regular appearances on services 18A and 553 past my house over the past few weeks. Wonder how much longer it, and the other GX03 regs, can hang on ?
N391OTY
27 Oct 2023, 12:03 am #1

Despite not having tracked in Bustimes since 1 September, I have noticed that 3995 (GNE's oldest service bus ???) is still very much with us. It has made regular appearances on services 18A and 553 past my house over the past few weeks. Wonder how much longer it, and the other GX03 regs, can hang on ?

Unber43

27 Oct 2023, 12:11 am #2
Keep it till it goes down

might be worth keeping an eye on this https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/fleet-sales

GNE hasn't half changed with their aging fleet, years ago with the Vykings, Lloynes, Presidents, SPD, MPD, Cadet, Renowns a lot of them were withdrawn at 15 years if not before in the case of the Cadets/SPD/MPD
Edited 27 Oct 2023, 12:14 am by Unber43.
Unber43
27 Oct 2023, 12:11 am #2

Keep it till it goes down

GNE hasn't half changed with their aging fleet, years ago with the Vykings, Lloynes, Presidents, SPD, MPD, Cadet, Renowns a lot of them were withdrawn at 15 years if not before in the case of the Cadets/SPD/MPD

N391OTY

27 Oct 2023, 12:31 am #3
(27 Oct 2023, 12:11 am)Unber43 Keep it till it goes down

Suppose I'd better say it before somebody else does - I know that the open-toppers 6997/8/9 are older but I don't consider them part of the everyday service fleet !

As you say, I never thought I would see a time when major bus operators were still using 20 yesr-old buses in regular service, apart from LT Routemasters back in the good old days.
N391OTY
27 Oct 2023, 12:31 am #3

(27 Oct 2023, 12:11 am)Unber43 Keep it till it goes down

Suppose I'd better say it before somebody else does - I know that the open-toppers 6997/8/9 are older but I don't consider them part of the everyday service fleet !

As you say, I never thought I would see a time when major bus operators were still using 20 yesr-old buses in regular service, apart from LT Routemasters back in the good old days.

Unber43

27 Oct 2023, 12:46 am #4
(27 Oct 2023, 12:31 am)N391OTY Suppose I'd better say it before somebody else does - I know that the open-toppers 6997/8/9 are older but I don't consider them part of the everyday service fleet !

It's staggering that 13 year old buses are still in front line services daily and busy routes, even 10 year old buses are struggling.

I think I would rahter have had a Loyne or a Vyking or MPD rather than todays Solos and OmniDekka's
Unber43
27 Oct 2023, 12:46 am #4

(27 Oct 2023, 12:31 am)N391OTY Suppose I'd better say it before somebody else does - I know that the open-toppers 6997/8/9 are older but I don't consider them part of the everyday service fleet !

It's staggering that 13 year old buses are still in front line services daily and busy routes, even 10 year old buses are struggling.

I think I would rahter have had a Loyne or a Vyking or MPD rather than todays Solos and OmniDekka's

busmanT

27 Oct 2023, 6:35 am #5
(27 Oct 2023, 12:03 am)N391OTY Despite not having tracked in Bustimes since 1 September, I have noticed that 3995 (GNE's oldest service bus ???) is still very much with us. It has made regular appearances on services 18A and 553 past my house over the past few weeks. Wonder how much longer it, and the other GX03 regs, can hang on ?

I suspect that they would have gone by now if GNE hadn’t had to loan the E200MMC to GNW. 
The unreliability of the hybrids has also probably meant that older buses are retained longer.

(27 Oct 2023, 12:46 am)Unber43 It's staggering that 13 year old buses are still in front line services daily and busy routes, even 10 year old buses are struggling.

Having lost £4.3m last year, I can’t see GNE getting new buses anytime soon. 
Having to give drivers another inflation busting pay rise is presumably going to lead to bigger losses in the next accounts.
Edited 27 Oct 2023, 6:37 am by busmanT.
busmanT
27 Oct 2023, 6:35 am #5

(27 Oct 2023, 12:03 am)N391OTY Despite not having tracked in Bustimes since 1 September, I have noticed that 3995 (GNE's oldest service bus ???) is still very much with us. It has made regular appearances on services 18A and 553 past my house over the past few weeks. Wonder how much longer it, and the other GX03 regs, can hang on ?

I suspect that they would have gone by now if GNE hadn’t had to loan the E200MMC to GNW. 
The unreliability of the hybrids has also probably meant that older buses are retained longer.

(27 Oct 2023, 12:46 am)Unber43 It's staggering that 13 year old buses are still in front line services daily and busy routes, even 10 year old buses are struggling.

Having to give drivers another inflation busting pay rise is presumably going to lead to bigger losses in the next accounts.

Andreos1

27 Oct 2023, 7:55 am #6
(27 Oct 2023, 6:35 am)busmanT I suspect that they would have gone by now if GNE hadn’t had to loan the E200MMC to GNW. 

Here's hoping those drivers (whether they work full or part-time, even just the odd Saturday in the summer) who voice this opinion, let the operator know they are more than happy taking the lower rate. And actually ensure they refuse any agreed increase.
It's the very least they can do to stop the even bigger losses you mention.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
27 Oct 2023, 7:55 am #6

(27 Oct 2023, 6:35 am)busmanT I suspect that they would have gone by now if GNE hadn’t had to loan the E200MMC to GNW. 

Here's hoping those drivers (whether they work full or part-time, even just the odd Saturday in the summer) who voice this opinion, let the operator know they are more than happy taking the lower rate. And actually ensure they refuse any agreed increase.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Ambassador

27 Oct 2023, 9:36 am #7
(27 Oct 2023, 7:55 am)Andreos1 Here's hoping those drivers (whether they work full or part-time, even just the odd Saturday in the summer) who voice this opinion, let the operator know they are more than happy taking the lower rate. And actually ensure they refuse any agreed increase.

One must think of dear Roger and all of those who rely on the Go Ahead pension

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
27 Oct 2023, 9:36 am #7

(27 Oct 2023, 7:55 am)Andreos1 Here's hoping those drivers (whether they work full or part-time, even just the odd Saturday in the summer) who voice this opinion, let the operator know they are more than happy taking the lower rate. And actually ensure they refuse any agreed increase.

One must think of dear Roger and all of those who rely on the Go Ahead pension

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

10 Nov 2023, 12:52 pm #8
I’d rather have a Scania Metropolitan than any of this modern rubbish
BIG MICK STOKOE
10 Nov 2023, 12:52 pm #8

I’d rather have a Scania Metropolitan than any of this modern rubbish

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average