Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Free travel for Newcastle United fans - 3rd/4th Feb 2024

Free travel for Newcastle United fans - 3rd/4th Feb 2024

Free travel for Newcastle United fans - 3rd/4th Feb 2024

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rob44

02 Feb 2024, 2:16 pm #1
more NUFC related but with this weekend been a " green " one with sky and tnt cycling to everywhere to co CO2 it free travel to the men's game on Saturday and the women's game on sunday with presentation of a valid match ticket! Ambassador ....... it going to be carnage on Durham road!!
Rob44
02 Feb 2024, 2:16 pm #1

more NUFC related but with this weekend been a " green " one with sky and tnt cycling to everywhere to co CO2 it free travel to the men's game on Saturday and the women's game on sunday with presentation of a valid match ticket! Ambassador ....... it going to be carnage on Durham road!!

Adrian

02 Feb 2024, 3:03 pm #2
I've split this into a new thread. Source: https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/...ll-action/

From nufc.co.uk Newcastle United supporters are being offered free matchday travel thanks to an initiative from the football club and Newcastle City Council, which aims to enhance sustainability over the first weekend of February.

With more than 52,000 fans set to travel to St. James' Park for the home clash against Luton Town on Saturday, 3rd February, supporters are encouraged to take advantage of free public transport to and from the match, in a one-off initiative which will heavily reduce fans' carbon footprint on matchdays.

Available to all supporters three hours prior to kick-off, until the end of service, fans simply need to present their matchday ticket or season card when using public transport throughout Tyne and Wear, via The Metro or Arriva, Stagecoach and Go North East bus services.

The weekend of free matchday travel also continues the following day, with ticket holders for Newcastle United Women able to take advantage of the same offer when Becky Langley's Magpies challenge Wolverhampton Wanderers WFC at Kingston Park on Sunday, 4th February (kick-off 2pm GMT).

The collaborative initiative is aiming to raise awareness of sustainable practice, as the football club and council look at a number of initiatives to encourage change in behaviours which will benefit the local environment.

The club's sustainability efforts continue to develop through matchday considerations such as bio-degradable cups, waste recycling and low-carbon food alternatives.

Educational work through Newcastle United Foundation has also offered over 20,000 primary school children access to sustainability lessons which look at a number of initiatives centred around recycling and protecting the environment, as well as sustainable healthy eating.

Helen Hughes, Sustainability Manager at Newcastle United, commented: "We're thrilled to offer sustainable travel alternatives for our supporters, saving people money and also raising awareness of sustainable travel options that will benefit individuals and our city.

"At Newcastle United, we believe that small enhancements can lead to significant progress and everyone has an important role to play in minimising our carbon footprint. We are always looking at ways in which we can improve on reducing our carbon footprint."

The travel initiative across 3rd-4th February builds on Newcastle United's partnership with local authorities and transport operators, having established the popular 'Magpie Mover' scheme which provides season ticket holders with unlimited travel on the metro, bus and ferry during home matchdays, at a cost of just £25 per season.

Public transport links form a key part of the matchday sustainability approach at St. James' Park, reducing congestion and improving air quality around the city centre during busy periods.

Huw Lewis, Nexus Customer Services Director, said: "Metro is an easy and convenient way to St. James' Park already used by thousands of fans, whether you are travelling from home or getting on at one of our Park and Ride sites to beat the matchday traffic. Metro is delighted to be supporting this great initiative led by Newcastle United with the City Council and our partners in the bus companies. I hope it helps many more fans discover Metro and bus as the greener, cheaper way to enjoy a day at the football."

Cllr Marion Williams, cabinet member for a Connected, Clean City at Newcastle City Council, added: "We're proud supporters of football in our city and delighted to be able to join Newcastle United in promoting this fantastic initiative.

"This is all about celebrating and promoting greener and more sustainable matchday travel and we're keen to see as many supporters as possible taking advantage of this free travel offer for the weekend’s home matches for both the men's and the women's teams.

"We hope this will help to encourage more people to use public transport for matchday travel in future, which will not only ease congestion on our roads but will also help to reduce harmful air pollution and cut carbon emissions, which are having a damaging impact on our health and the wider environment.

"We know that NUFC fans are proud of their club and of their city and, together with Newcastle United, we're asking supporters to do their bit and help make our city cleaner, greener and healthier."
Adrian
02 Feb 2024, 3:03 pm #2

I've split this into a new thread. Source: https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/...ll-action/

From nufc.co.uk Newcastle United supporters are being offered free matchday travel thanks to an initiative from the football club and Newcastle City Council, which aims to enhance sustainability over the first weekend of February.

With more than 52,000 fans set to travel to St. James' Park for the home clash against Luton Town on Saturday, 3rd February, supporters are encouraged to take advantage of free public transport to and from the match, in a one-off initiative which will heavily reduce fans' carbon footprint on matchdays.

Available to all supporters three hours prior to kick-off, until the end of service, fans simply need to present their matchday ticket or season card when using public transport throughout Tyne and Wear, via The Metro or Arriva, Stagecoach and Go North East bus services.

The weekend of free matchday travel also continues the following day, with ticket holders for Newcastle United Women able to take advantage of the same offer when Becky Langley's Magpies challenge Wolverhampton Wanderers WFC at Kingston Park on Sunday, 4th February (kick-off 2pm GMT).

The collaborative initiative is aiming to raise awareness of sustainable practice, as the football club and council look at a number of initiatives to encourage change in behaviours which will benefit the local environment.

The club's sustainability efforts continue to develop through matchday considerations such as bio-degradable cups, waste recycling and low-carbon food alternatives.

Educational work through Newcastle United Foundation has also offered over 20,000 primary school children access to sustainability lessons which look at a number of initiatives centred around recycling and protecting the environment, as well as sustainable healthy eating.

Helen Hughes, Sustainability Manager at Newcastle United, commented: "We're thrilled to offer sustainable travel alternatives for our supporters, saving people money and also raising awareness of sustainable travel options that will benefit individuals and our city.

"At Newcastle United, we believe that small enhancements can lead to significant progress and everyone has an important role to play in minimising our carbon footprint. We are always looking at ways in which we can improve on reducing our carbon footprint."

The travel initiative across 3rd-4th February builds on Newcastle United's partnership with local authorities and transport operators, having established the popular 'Magpie Mover' scheme which provides season ticket holders with unlimited travel on the metro, bus and ferry during home matchdays, at a cost of just £25 per season.

Public transport links form a key part of the matchday sustainability approach at St. James' Park, reducing congestion and improving air quality around the city centre during busy periods.

Huw Lewis, Nexus Customer Services Director, said: "Metro is an easy and convenient way to St. James' Park already used by thousands of fans, whether you are travelling from home or getting on at one of our Park and Ride sites to beat the matchday traffic. Metro is delighted to be supporting this great initiative led by Newcastle United with the City Council and our partners in the bus companies. I hope it helps many more fans discover Metro and bus as the greener, cheaper way to enjoy a day at the football."

Cllr Marion Williams, cabinet member for a Connected, Clean City at Newcastle City Council, added: "We're proud supporters of football in our city and delighted to be able to join Newcastle United in promoting this fantastic initiative.

"This is all about celebrating and promoting greener and more sustainable matchday travel and we're keen to see as many supporters as possible taking advantage of this free travel offer for the weekend’s home matches for both the men's and the women's teams.

"We hope this will help to encourage more people to use public transport for matchday travel in future, which will not only ease congestion on our roads but will also help to reduce harmful air pollution and cut carbon emissions, which are having a damaging impact on our health and the wider environment.

"We know that NUFC fans are proud of their club and of their city and, together with Newcastle United, we're asking supporters to do their bit and help make our city cleaner, greener and healthier."

Ambassador

02 Feb 2024, 4:43 pm #3
(02 Feb 2024, 2:16 pm)Rob44 more NUFC related but with this weekend been a " green " one with sky and tnt cycling to everywhere to co CO2 it free travel to the men's game on Saturday and the women's game on sunday with presentation of a valid match ticket! Ambassador ....... it going to be carnage on Durham road!!

I've given up on the 21 now on a match day! I get Mrs A or a bus to drop me off and head up to Wrekenton/Old Durham Road and sail my way down that road

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
02 Feb 2024, 4:43 pm #3

(02 Feb 2024, 2:16 pm)Rob44 more NUFC related but with this weekend been a " green " one with sky and tnt cycling to everywhere to co CO2 it free travel to the men's game on Saturday and the women's game on sunday with presentation of a valid match ticket! Ambassador ....... it going to be carnage on Durham road!!

I've given up on the 21 now on a match day! I get Mrs A or a bus to drop me off and head up to Wrekenton/Old Durham Road and sail my way down that road

Rob44

06 Feb 2024, 9:57 am #4
(02 Feb 2024, 4:43 pm)Ambassador I've given up on the 21 now on a match day! I get Mrs A or a bus to drop me off and head up to Wrekenton/Old Durham Road and sail my way down that road

The metro was just as busy as normal. And the good old ( and i mean old) 28b was much busier than normal on the way back.  When i was dinking in the Black garter ( i know) a few people were talking about it although they seemed to think it was going to be for the rest of the season!
Rob44
06 Feb 2024, 9:57 am #4

(02 Feb 2024, 4:43 pm)Ambassador I've given up on the 21 now on a match day! I get Mrs A or a bus to drop me off and head up to Wrekenton/Old Durham Road and sail my way down that road

The metro was just as busy as normal. And the good old ( and i mean old) 28b was much busier than normal on the way back.  When i was dinking in the Black garter ( i know) a few people were talking about it although they seemed to think it was going to be for the rest of the season!

Andreos1

06 Feb 2024, 8:29 pm #5
(06 Feb 2024, 9:57 am)Rob44 The metro was just as busy as normal. And the good old ( and i mean old) 28b was much busier than normal on the way back.  When i was dinking in the Black garter ( i know) a few people were talking about it although they seemed to think it was going to be for the rest of the season!

Eldest Constantoplous didn't realise it was just in T&W.
Got on a 21 in County Durham, showed his season ticket thing and was waved on.
Edited 06 Feb 2024, 8:29 pm by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
06 Feb 2024, 8:29 pm #5

(06 Feb 2024, 9:57 am)Rob44 The metro was just as busy as normal. And the good old ( and i mean old) 28b was much busier than normal on the way back.  When i was dinking in the Black garter ( i know) a few people were talking about it although they seemed to think it was going to be for the rest of the season!

Eldest Constantoplous didn't realise it was just in T&W.
Got on a 21 in County Durham, showed his season ticket thing and was waved on.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Ambassador

06 Feb 2024, 11:03 pm #6
It would be nice if it was a permanent thing (some PL clubs do offer this but mainly those in more remote stadium locations like Brighton)

I normally get challenged by GNE drivers who still insist the magpie mover is only valid until 3 hours after the game and then grumpily retreat when challenged back
Ambassador
06 Feb 2024, 11:03 pm #6

It would be nice if it was a permanent thing (some PL clubs do offer this but mainly those in more remote stadium locations like Brighton)

I normally get challenged by GNE drivers who still insist the magpie mover is only valid until 3 hours after the game and then grumpily retreat when challenged back

Rob44

01 Apr 2024, 5:01 pm #7
I was asked for the first time this season (15 journeys x2) to see my season ticket on my phone as well as my little card by a very pleasant GNE driver on way home saturday after game.
Rob44
01 Apr 2024, 5:01 pm #7

I was asked for the first time this season (15 journeys x2) to see my season ticket on my phone as well as my little card by a very pleasant GNE driver on way home saturday after game.

Ambassador

02 Apr 2024, 12:26 am #8
(01 Apr 2024, 5:01 pm)Rob44 I was asked for the first time this season (15 journeys x2) to see my season ticket on my phone as well as my little card by a very pleasant GNE driver on way home saturday after game.

The only way who has ever asked me or enforced the rules (by 5 m8nutes) is quite active on twitter,,,,and he wa full on Blakey….

And it’s annoying as he’s delightful on there

Ambassador
02 Apr 2024, 12:26 am #8

(01 Apr 2024, 5:01 pm)Rob44 I was asked for the first time this season (15 journeys x2) to see my season ticket on my phone as well as my little card by a very pleasant GNE driver on way home saturday after game.

The only way who has ever asked me or enforced the rules (by 5 m8nutes) is quite active on twitter,,,,and he wa full on Blakey….

Rob44

02 Apr 2024, 8:10 am #9
(02 Apr 2024, 12:26 am)Ambassador The only way who has ever asked me or enforced the rules (by 5 m8nutes) is quite active on twitter,,,,and he wa full on Blakey….

you mean you tried to use it 5 minutes before the 3 hours before KO?? Tut tut

I was once asked where i was going and i said Birtley and he said I'd have to pay as Birtley was not in Tyne and Wear. Also had one tell me i was to late to use it but it was 840 bus and that was back in the day when you only got 3 hours after match.
Rob44
02 Apr 2024, 8:10 am #9

(02 Apr 2024, 12:26 am)Ambassador The only way who has ever asked me or enforced the rules (by 5 m8nutes) is quite active on twitter,,,,and he wa full on Blakey….

you mean you tried to use it 5 minutes before the 3 hours before KO?? Tut tut

I was once asked where i was going and i said Birtley and he said I'd have to pay as Birtley was not in Tyne and Wear. Also had one tell me i was to late to use it but it was 840 bus and that was back in the day when you only got 3 hours after match.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average