Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Tees Valley ZEBRA (Zero Emission Bus Regional Area) 2 Bid

Tees Valley ZEBRA (Zero Emission Bus Regional Area) 2 Bid

Tees Valley ZEBRA (Zero Emission Bus Regional Area) 2 Bid

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Storx

03 Feb 2024, 12:32 pm #1
I know there's already a thread generally on this but thought the Teesside one should probably have it's own thread than been stuck with the TNE bid.

Seen that Darlington in one of their latest council meetings has now released more details on this and the bid is for 62 buses split between Arriva Redcar and Darlington and Stagecoach Stockton.

See: https://democracy.darlington.gov.uk/docu...Report.pdf

There's also been a second document released by the TVCA on upgraded bus stops which has bus improvement corridors shown on maps.

See: https://teesvalley-ca.gov.uk/about/wp-co...024-fv.pdf

Edit: Someone confirmed it's the 2 at Darlington, 63 at Redcar with the rest at Stagecoach Stockton, left the original post below.

Now putting 1 + 1 together, which isn't always the most reliable by using the corridors on the maps and the depots listed above I have a feeling the bid might include these:

Arriva Darlington
2/2A (6)
X66/X67 (6)

Arriva Redcar
63 (13?)
X4 (8)

Stagecoach Stockton
36/37/38 (15?)
12 (6)

That's just speculating of course, but it would sense and would give a fair balance imo in terms of access across all areas, unlike other bids.
Edited 03 Feb 2024, 4:44 pm by Storx.
Storx
03 Feb 2024, 12:32 pm #1

I know there's already a thread generally on this but thought the Teesside one should probably have it's own thread than been stuck with the TNE bid.

Seen that Darlington in one of their latest council meetings has now released more details on this and the bid is for 62 buses split between Arriva Redcar and Darlington and Stagecoach Stockton.

There's also been a second document released by the TVCA on upgraded bus stops which has bus improvement corridors shown on maps.

Edit: Someone confirmed it's the 2 at Darlington, 63 at Redcar with the rest at Stagecoach Stockton, left the original post below.

Now putting 1 + 1 together, which isn't always the most reliable by using the corridors on the maps and the depots listed above I have a feeling the bid might include these:

Arriva Darlington
2/2A (6)
X66/X67 (6)

Arriva Redcar
63 (13?)
X4 (8)

Stagecoach Stockton
36/37/38 (15?)
12 (6)

That's just speculating of course, but it would sense and would give a fair balance imo in terms of access across all areas, unlike other bids.

Andreos1

03 Feb 2024, 12:39 pm #2
(03 Feb 2024, 12:32 pm)Storx I know there's already a thread generally on this but thought the Teesside one should probably have it's own thread than been stuck with the TNE bid.

Arriva Darlington
2/2A (6)
X66/X67 (6)

Arriva Redcar
63 (13?)
X4 (8)

Stagecoach Stockton
36/37/38 (15?)
12 (6)

I've not looked at the attachments or documents, but I'd be very surprised to see the X4 to be included, just because of the nature of the route and logistics involved. 

The 63 doesn't surprise me at all given the urban nature of the route.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
03 Feb 2024, 12:39 pm #2

(03 Feb 2024, 12:32 pm)Storx I know there's already a thread generally on this but thought the Teesside one should probably have it's own thread than been stuck with the TNE bid.

Arriva Darlington
2/2A (6)
X66/X67 (6)

Arriva Redcar
63 (13?)
X4 (8)

Stagecoach Stockton
36/37/38 (15?)
12 (6)

I've not looked at the attachments or documents, but I'd be very surprised to see the X4 to be included, just because of the nature of the route and logistics involved. 

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Storx

03 Feb 2024, 1:37 pm #3
(03 Feb 2024, 12:39 pm)Andreos1 I've not looked at the attachments or documents, but I'd be very surprised to see the X4 to be included, just because of the nature of the route and logistics involved. 

Aye, the X4 is the one I was more on the fence about adding ngl, but is it much different to the Transdev 36? Both similar length routes, I believe and that can work. Mind it would be a challenge though - agreed. The 36, wouldn't be much better to be fair so maybe there might be some charging infrastruture in Middlesbrough bus station? There's more than enough space.

Mind there's no details on what vehicles they are, Houchen might be still pushing the Hydrogen route for all we know.
Storx
03 Feb 2024, 1:37 pm #3

(03 Feb 2024, 12:39 pm)Andreos1 I've not looked at the attachments or documents, but I'd be very surprised to see the X4 to be included, just because of the nature of the route and logistics involved. 

Aye, the X4 is the one I was more on the fence about adding ngl, but is it much different to the Transdev 36? Both similar length routes, I believe and that can work. Mind it would be a challenge though - agreed. The 36, wouldn't be much better to be fair so maybe there might be some charging infrastruture in Middlesbrough bus station? There's more than enough space.

Mind there's no details on what vehicles they are, Houchen might be still pushing the Hydrogen route for all we know.

RobinHood

03 Feb 2024, 4:14 pm #4
The Arriva Zebra 2 bid is Darlington Service 2 and Redcar Service 63. Stagecoach bid is pretty much all of their Stockton depot based services, essentially a full depot bid. All bids are electric, no hydrogen.
RobinHood
03 Feb 2024, 4:14 pm #4

The Arriva Zebra 2 bid is Darlington Service 2 and Redcar Service 63. Stagecoach bid is pretty much all of their Stockton depot based services, essentially a full depot bid. All bids are electric, no hydrogen.

Storx

03 Feb 2024, 4:20 pm #5
(03 Feb 2024, 4:14 pm)RobinHood The Arriva Zebra 2 bid is Darlington Service 2 and Redcar Service 63. Stagecoach bid is pretty much all of their Stockton depot based services, essentially a full depot bid. All bids are electric, no hydrogen.

Surprised they're going for a whole depot bid, the place badly needs investment though mind. Be nice to see some serious electric investment in the North East rather than the placemeal stuff so far though.

Edited the original post to reflect it btw.
Edited 03 Feb 2024, 4:20 pm by Storx.
Storx
03 Feb 2024, 4:20 pm #5

(03 Feb 2024, 4:14 pm)RobinHood The Arriva Zebra 2 bid is Darlington Service 2 and Redcar Service 63. Stagecoach bid is pretty much all of their Stockton depot based services, essentially a full depot bid. All bids are electric, no hydrogen.

Surprised they're going for a whole depot bid, the place badly needs investment though mind. Be nice to see some serious electric investment in the North East rather than the placemeal stuff so far though.

Edited the original post to reflect it btw.

RobinHood

03 Feb 2024, 4:36 pm #6
It might not be the whole depot, but assuming two thirds of the bid are Stagecoach, its not far off!
RobinHood
03 Feb 2024, 4:36 pm #6

It might not be the whole depot, but assuming two thirds of the bid are Stagecoach, its not far off!

Storx

03 Feb 2024, 4:48 pm #7
(03 Feb 2024, 4:36 pm)RobinHood It might not be the whole depot, but assuming two thirds of the bid are Stagecoach, its not far off!

Edited the post again to make that clearer. 

Assume you only know the Arriva side and put 1 plus 2 together and obviously just linked the rest there. Mind surprised it's only 6 buses at Darlington mind, seems a rather expensive infrastructure job for so little routes but suppose there's not much else there within Tees Valley. The 1, 5 and 7 being the obvious choices but they're cross boundary.
Storx
03 Feb 2024, 4:48 pm #7

(03 Feb 2024, 4:36 pm)RobinHood It might not be the whole depot, but assuming two thirds of the bid are Stagecoach, its not far off!

Edited the post again to make that clearer. 

Assume you only know the Arriva side and put 1 plus 2 together and obviously just linked the rest there. Mind surprised it's only 6 buses at Darlington mind, seems a rather expensive infrastructure job for so little routes but suppose there's not much else there within Tees Valley. The 1, 5 and 7 being the obvious choices but they're cross boundary.

RobinHood

03 Feb 2024, 5:07 pm #8
(03 Feb 2024, 4:48 pm)Storx Edited the post again to make that clearer. 

6+1 spare for the 2 and 13+1 spare for the 63 = 21 for Arriva. The rest for Stagecoach.

The infrastructure cost is broadly relative to the number of vehicles, except maybe the DNO charges which will be fixed irrespective of the number of connections. If they are successful though, it makes future electric much more attractive and value for money, as the core infrastructure is already in place, you just need additional charge points.

Some services cannot take electric in any form at the moment, as the technology doesn't exist, not without opportunity charging (which is additional cost) or additional spare vehicles to swap over during the day, due to range issues (also, additional cost compared to operating vs conventional diesel). Each operator therefore still needs to be happy that this is a business case they can commit to internally and makes sense, as they are still spending the same amount of money as it would be to buy new diesel, plus 25% towards the infrastructure and difference of the vehicle.
Edited 03 Feb 2024, 5:12 pm by RobinHood.
RobinHood
03 Feb 2024, 5:07 pm #8

(03 Feb 2024, 4:48 pm)Storx Edited the post again to make that clearer. 

6+1 spare for the 2 and 13+1 spare for the 63 = 21 for Arriva. The rest for Stagecoach.

The infrastructure cost is broadly relative to the number of vehicles, except maybe the DNO charges which will be fixed irrespective of the number of connections. If they are successful though, it makes future electric much more attractive and value for money, as the core infrastructure is already in place, you just need additional charge points.

Some services cannot take electric in any form at the moment, as the technology doesn't exist, not without opportunity charging (which is additional cost) or additional spare vehicles to swap over during the day, due to range issues (also, additional cost compared to operating vs conventional diesel). Each operator therefore still needs to be happy that this is a business case they can commit to internally and makes sense, as they are still spending the same amount of money as it would be to buy new diesel, plus 25% towards the infrastructure and difference of the vehicle.

Storx

05 Feb 2024, 9:33 pm #9
(03 Feb 2024, 5:07 pm)RobinHood 6+1 spare for the 2 and 13+1 spare for the 63 = 21 for Arriva. The rest for Stagecoach.

Sorry thought I replies, aye that's fair then.

Mind it'll be interesting to see if there's ever the tech using battery. For everything that's improved over the years, batteries never really have and nor has the economic of engines etc either. Be a massive pull through, if someone can invest the tech, never mind just for vehicles.
Storx
05 Feb 2024, 9:33 pm #9

(03 Feb 2024, 5:07 pm)RobinHood 6+1 spare for the 2 and 13+1 spare for the 63 = 21 for Arriva. The rest for Stagecoach.

Sorry thought I replies, aye that's fair then.

Mind it'll be interesting to see if there's ever the tech using battery. For everything that's improved over the years, batteries never really have and nor has the economic of engines etc either. Be a massive pull through, if someone can invest the tech, never mind just for vehicles.

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average