North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East 24th March 2024 Changes

24th March 2024 Changes

24th March 2024 Changes

• 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Pages (13) Previous 110 11 12 13 Next
V514DFT

26 Mar 2024, 4:44 pm #201
(26 Mar 2024, 3:48 pm)Aaron21 I think a change is needed to the 352/353 mainly

353 seems to be a really busy route while the 352 is a copy of the 37. An easy change could be made

Withdrawn the 352 and up the 353 to every 30 minutes. Even under Arriva the 53 was a busy route. I'm generally shocked they didn't up it to every 30 and Withdrawn the 352 as there's no need for the 352. Its just a worse version of the 37 ("But it serves Haymarket")

So the 37 drops of at more convenient places like Central/Grainger Street & Market/Pilgrim & John Dobson Street
I mean argueably i'd say the 37 is a copy of the 352 since the 352 was the 52

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
26 Mar 2024, 4:44 pm #201

353 seems to be a really busy route while the 352 is a copy of the 37. An easy change could be made

Withdrawn the 352 and up the 353 to every 30 minutes. Even under Arriva the 53 was a busy route. I'm generally shocked they didn't up it to every 30 and Withdrawn the 352 as there's no need for the 352. Its just a worse version of the 37 ("But it serves Haymarket")

So the 37 drops of at more convenient places like Central/Grainger Street & Market/Pilgrim & John Dobson Street
I mean argueably i'd say the 37 is a copy of the 352 since the 352 was the 52

Kind Regards
Tez

L469 YVK

26 Mar 2024, 5:03 pm #202

Problem is that some of the driving hours would be inefficient if the 353 was to go standalone.....although as a workaround, GNE could technically use multiple nearby relief points.

For example with a driver starting at North Shields Interchange
- NSHI > CRM > NSHI > CRM > New York
then......
- New York > NSHI > CRM > NSH > CRM > West Allotment
then......
- West Allotment > NSHI > CRM > NSHI > West Allotment

Or using BSIP money, could make PVR 6x (3hr round trips) and extend to High Pit & NESCH and maybe via NTGH too. Maybe a swap with the 317 that the 353 does Rake Lane Loop > NTGH > Devon Road > Whitehouse Lane > then normal route. Whereas the 317 does NTGH > Rake Lane > Billy Mill Lane > Whitlehouse Lane > then normal route.
Edited 26 Mar 2024, 6:17 pm by L469 YVK.
L469 YVK
26 Mar 2024, 5:03 pm #202

Problem is that some of the driving hours would be inefficient if the 353 was to go standalone.....although as a workaround, GNE could technically use multiple nearby relief points.

For example with a driver starting at North Shields Interchange
- NSHI > CRM > NSHI > CRM > New York
then......
- New York > NSHI > CRM > NSH > CRM > West Allotment
then......
- West Allotment > NSHI > CRM > NSHI > West Allotment

Or using BSIP money, could make PVR 6x (3hr round trips) and extend to High Pit & NESCH and maybe via NTGH too. Maybe a swap with the 317 that the 353 does Rake Lane Loop > NTGH > Devon Road > Whitehouse Lane > then normal route. Whereas the 317 does NTGH > Rake Lane > Billy Mill Lane > Whitlehouse Lane > then normal route.

26 Mar 2024, 6:52 pm #203

Worse thing that can ever be done is push buses or suggest buses not serve bus stations or interchanges 

Bus companies love the idea (Stagecoach) if they can avoid using a bus station 

Haymarket I think charges 70p ish per bus to use it 

We need bus stations to serve its purpose and have as many buses as possible connect start taking buses out of bus stations (which are often metro connections too) and we lose the value of a bus station 

Look at 317 Stagecoach was successful in pushing it out of Wallsend Interchange (to connect with other buses/metro ) and operate a loop round the shopping centre to improve reliability I think words was used 

All secured contracts should have minimum requirements that they must serve as many metro stations or bus stations as possible and supermarkets and industrial estates!

Eg 351 after asda at whitley Road I would make it turn left towards Palmersville metro but take a right and through the industrial estate and back onto whitley Road making a closer connection to Palmersville metro (and when extended to Northumberland park) it provides a quick suspension metro link tools well as servicing an industrial estate As oppose to the walk
DaveFromUpNorth
26 Mar 2024, 6:52 pm #203

Worse thing that can ever be done is push buses or suggest buses not serve bus stations or interchanges 

We need bus stations to serve its purpose and have as many buses as possible connect start taking buses out of bus stations (which are often metro connections too) and we lose the value of a bus station 

Look at 317 Stagecoach was successful in pushing it out of Wallsend Interchange (to connect with other buses/metro ) and operate a loop round the shopping centre to improve reliability I think words was used 

All secured contracts should have minimum requirements that they must serve as many metro stations or bus stations as possible and supermarkets and industrial estates!

Eg 351 after asda at whitley Road I would make it turn left towards Palmersville metro but take a right and through the industrial estate and back onto whitley Road making a closer connection to Palmersville metro (and when extended to Northumberland park) it provides a quick suspension metro link tools well as servicing an industrial estate As oppose to the walk

Storx

26 Mar 2024, 7:12 pm #204
(26 Mar 2024, 6:52 pm)DaveFromUpNorth Worse thing that can ever be done is push buses or suggest buses not serve bus stations or interchanges 

A bit off topic but I kinda disagree about bus stations.

Bus stations are a complete waste of time if you ask me, unless it's an interchange where you change between a bus and a tube / train like many places in London where you can't control timings so are forced to wait.

Personally, on paper (not saying do it), I'd much rather have a bus which looped around Newcastle so I could get on/off where I actually wanted to be, rather than being dumped off at Haymarket which is miles to the North of most places.

Not to mention personally, I feel more secure at a bus stop than an unstaffed bus station in the evening. Haymarket is an unpleasant place, as an understatement, especially with the undesirables hanging around outside the pub.

Most people who know the timetable, won't be there for longer than 5 minutes max. Now if the bus station was near Central Station then it would be a different kettle of fish.
Edited 26 Mar 2024, 7:13 pm by Storx.
Storx
26 Mar 2024, 7:12 pm #204

(26 Mar 2024, 6:52 pm)DaveFromUpNorth Worse thing that can ever be done is push buses or suggest buses not serve bus stations or interchanges 

A bit off topic but I kinda disagree about bus stations.

Bus stations are a complete waste of time if you ask me, unless it's an interchange where you change between a bus and a tube / train like many places in London where you can't control timings so are forced to wait.

Personally, on paper (not saying do it), I'd much rather have a bus which looped around Newcastle so I could get on/off where I actually wanted to be, rather than being dumped off at Haymarket which is miles to the North of most places.

Not to mention personally, I feel more secure at a bus stop than an unstaffed bus station in the evening. Haymarket is an unpleasant place, as an understatement, especially with the undesirables hanging around outside the pub.

Most people who know the timetable, won't be there for longer than 5 minutes max. Now if the bus station was near Central Station then it would be a different kettle of fish.

Shrek

26 Mar 2024, 9:23 pm #205
(26 Mar 2024, 7:12 pm)Storx A bit off topic but I kinda disagree about bus stations.

I'm the opposite. I'm much happier waiting for a bus in the Haymarket over a bus stop on a street in town. The fact I can keep dry being one thing, but it's lighter and feels safer to me too. 

On the other side of that argument, I hate waiting at Regent Centre. That really doesn't feel a safe place. The stairwell to the car park is disgusting too.
Shrek
26 Mar 2024, 9:23 pm #205

(26 Mar 2024, 7:12 pm)Storx A bit off topic but I kinda disagree about bus stations.

I'm the opposite. I'm much happier waiting for a bus in the Haymarket over a bus stop on a street in town. The fact I can keep dry being one thing, but it's lighter and feels safer to me too. 

On the other side of that argument, I hate waiting at Regent Centre. That really doesn't feel a safe place. The stairwell to the car park is disgusting too.

L469 YVK

26 Mar 2024, 9:28 pm #206
Rather than throwing money at all these secured Micky Mouse services, some of which only turn up once an hour and are off no use unless dependant.......is better bus / metro integration with local and major routes not the way forward? Seamless ticketing and guaranteed connections. Obviously would never work under the existing private / secured service model.....but bigger picture needs looked at.

Fine example.....308 / 309 in North Tyneside.......passengers ride through to Northumberland Park instead and straight onto Metro....route lengths cut down, more connections and useful links created rather than just another bus along the Coast Road to Newcastle running late as **** some days and sitting in all that traffic. Not saying to scrap them by any means yeah? But just a prime example
Edited 26 Mar 2024, 9:29 pm by L469 YVK.
L469 YVK
26 Mar 2024, 9:28 pm #206

Rather than throwing money at all these secured Micky Mouse services, some of which only turn up once an hour and are off no use unless dependant.......is better bus / metro integration with local and major routes not the way forward? Seamless ticketing and guaranteed connections. Obviously would never work under the existing private / secured service model.....but bigger picture needs looked at.

Fine example.....308 / 309 in North Tyneside.......passengers ride through to Northumberland Park instead and straight onto Metro....route lengths cut down, more connections and useful links created rather than just another bus along the Coast Road to Newcastle running late as **** some days and sitting in all that traffic. Not saying to scrap them by any means yeah? But just a prime example

Storx

26 Mar 2024, 9:38 pm #207
(26 Mar 2024, 9:23 pm)Shrek I'm the opposite. I'm much happier waiting for a bus in the Haymarket over a bus stop on a street in town. The fact I can keep dry being one thing, but it's lighter and feels safer to me too. 

Have to agree to disagree then, hate the place personally at night. Feel really enclosed and the place is hostile as an understatement. Can't stand the walk into the place either past where Lloyds used to be, very very dark and I know there's been trouble in the past along there.

I'd much rather get a bus along Blackett Street or Market Street, if I had the choice personally.

Regent Centre isn't great either mind, I'd argue that's the sort of place there actually should be a decent waiting space as you can't time buses using a Metro.

Bus stations in town/city centres are a very British thing, I can't think of any off the top of my head in any European city, bar for coaches.
Storx
26 Mar 2024, 9:38 pm #207

(26 Mar 2024, 9:23 pm)Shrek I'm the opposite. I'm much happier waiting for a bus in the Haymarket over a bus stop on a street in town. The fact I can keep dry being one thing, but it's lighter and feels safer to me too. 

Have to agree to disagree then, hate the place personally at night. Feel really enclosed and the place is hostile as an understatement. Can't stand the walk into the place either past where Lloyds used to be, very very dark and I know there's been trouble in the past along there.

I'd much rather get a bus along Blackett Street or Market Street, if I had the choice personally.

Regent Centre isn't great either mind, I'd argue that's the sort of place there actually should be a decent waiting space as you can't time buses using a Metro.

Bus stations in town/city centres are a very British thing, I can't think of any off the top of my head in any European city, bar for coaches.

27 Mar 2024, 7:15 am #208
More teething problems on the X78 last night. Perhaps a lack of route knowledge.
thw1008
27 Mar 2024, 7:15 am #208

More teething problems on the X78 last night. Perhaps a lack of route knowledge.

27 Mar 2024, 11:29 am #209
(27 Mar 2024, 7:15 am)thw1008 More teething problems on the X78 last night. Perhaps a lack of route knowledge.

The X78 seemed to run fine last night, just to a bit of a delay later on. 5491 looks to be the allocated vehicle for the X78.
OrangeArrow49
27 Mar 2024, 11:29 am #209

(27 Mar 2024, 7:15 am)thw1008 More teething problems on the X78 last night. Perhaps a lack of route knowledge.

The X78 seemed to run fine last night, just to a bit of a delay later on. 5491 looks to be the allocated vehicle for the X78.

27 Mar 2024, 12:04 pm #210
(26 Mar 2024, 4:27 pm)OrangeArrow49 The 37 is a copy of the 352 as the 352 was registered first. 37 is a duplicate of the 38, but goes to Cramlington. Stagecoach having a shortage of buses should withdraw the 37.

Nexus support the 37 in the evening and Sundays not the 352. So would imagine that’s why it continues. Reliability is awful on 37 especially on evenings and Sundays with 1 minute turn around time at Cramlington and 3 at Whickham View
Coastliner700
27 Mar 2024, 12:04 pm #210

(26 Mar 2024, 4:27 pm)OrangeArrow49 The 37 is a copy of the 352 as the 352 was registered first. 37 is a duplicate of the 38, but goes to Cramlington. Stagecoach having a shortage of buses should withdraw the 37.

Nexus support the 37 in the evening and Sundays not the 352. So would imagine that’s why it continues. Reliability is awful on 37 especially on evenings and Sundays with 1 minute turn around time at Cramlington and 3 at Whickham View

Jimmi

27 Mar 2024, 1:35 pm #211
(27 Mar 2024, 11:29 am)OrangeArrow49 The X78 seemed to run fine last night, just to a bit of a delay later on. 5491 looks to be the allocated vehicle for the X78.

The 2210 and return journey had some issues joining and exiting the A167(M) Newcastle Central Motorway for whatever reason.
Jimmi
27 Mar 2024, 1:35 pm #211

(27 Mar 2024, 11:29 am)OrangeArrow49 The X78 seemed to run fine last night, just to a bit of a delay later on. 5491 looks to be the allocated vehicle for the X78.

The 2210 and return journey had some issues joining and exiting the A167(M) Newcastle Central Motorway for whatever reason.

mb134

27 Mar 2024, 1:40 pm #212
(27 Mar 2024, 11:29 am)OrangeArrow49 5491 looks to be the allocated vehicle for the X78.

You mean apart from 5500 being on it on Monday?

It'll likely just be whichever single decker is available at the time, which meets the contracted spec.
Edited 27 Mar 2024, 1:40 pm by mb134.
mb134
27 Mar 2024, 1:40 pm #212

(27 Mar 2024, 11:29 am)OrangeArrow49 5491 looks to be the allocated vehicle for the X78.

You mean apart from 5500 being on it on Monday?

It'll likely just be whichever single decker is available at the time, which meets the contracted spec.

27 Mar 2024, 2:46 pm #213
(27 Mar 2024, 1:40 pm)mb134 You mean apart from 5500 being on it on Monday?

I saw 5500 on Monday, proudly displaying 'Not in Service', which is helpful. But, apart from that, I'm guessing 5491 will be the allocated vehicle (at least it has the X78 programmed in!). 5491 was on yesterday and Sunday.
OrangeArrow49
27 Mar 2024, 2:46 pm #213

(27 Mar 2024, 1:40 pm)mb134 You mean apart from 5500 being on it on Monday?

I saw 5500 on Monday, proudly displaying 'Not in Service', which is helpful. But, apart from that, I'm guessing 5491 will be the allocated vehicle (at least it has the X78 programmed in!). 5491 was on yesterday and Sunday.

V514DFT

27 Mar 2024, 4:52 pm #214
Does the 317 have no destination display, i missed a bus today because it just said "Go North East"
V514DFT
27 Mar 2024, 4:52 pm #214

Does the 317 have no destination display, i missed a bus today because it just said "Go North East"

Thomas12

27 Mar 2024, 5:27 pm #215
(27 Mar 2024, 4:52 pm)V514DFT Does the 317 have no destination display, i missed a bus today because it just said "Go North East"

8322 doesn’t, everything else does. I assume it wasn’t updated in time when it transferred from Washington. Surely there’s something else they could have used in the meantime though?

(27 Mar 2024, 4:52 pm)V514DFT Does the 317 have no destination display, i missed a bus today because it just said "Go North East"

8322 doesn’t, everything else does. I assume it wasn’t updated in time when it transferred from Washington. Surely there’s something else they could have used in the meantime though?
Edited 27 Mar 2024, 5:27 pm by Thomas12.
Thomas12
27 Mar 2024, 5:27 pm #215

27 Mar 2024, 6:26 pm #216
(26 Mar 2024, 6:52 pm)DaveFromUpNorth Look at 317 Stagecoach was successful in pushing it out of Wallsend Interchange (to connect with other buses/metro ) and operate a loop round the shopping centre to improve reliability I think words was used 

Passengers prefer the service stopping outside of The Forum, as it is less of a walk for them.

On a night time, it's also safer to wait for a bus at The Forum than it is at the interchange.
omnicity4659
27 Mar 2024, 6:26 pm #216

(26 Mar 2024, 6:52 pm)DaveFromUpNorth Look at 317 Stagecoach was successful in pushing it out of Wallsend Interchange (to connect with other buses/metro ) and operate a loop round the shopping centre to improve reliability I think words was used 

Passengers prefer the service stopping outside of The Forum, as it is less of a walk for them.

On a night time, it's also safer to wait for a bus at The Forum than it is at the interchange.

V514DFT

27 Mar 2024, 10:59 pm #217
(27 Mar 2024, 5:27 pm)Thomas12 8322 doesn’t, everything else does. I assume it wasn’t updated in time when it transferred from Washington. Surely there’s something else they could have used in the meantime though?

Yup that'd be the culprate, cheers Thomas

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
27 Mar 2024, 10:59 pm #217

(27 Mar 2024, 5:27 pm)Thomas12 8322 doesn’t, everything else does. I assume it wasn’t updated in time when it transferred from Washington. Surely there’s something else they could have used in the meantime though?

Yup that'd be the culprate, cheers Thomas

Kind Regards
Tez

27 Mar 2024, 11:09 pm #218
Looks like Nexus has enforced additional costs onto contracts that have just been awarded contracts

The price will now be 80p per departure from Haymarket

(27 Mar 2024, 11:09 pm)DaveFromUpNorth Looks like Nexus has enforced additional costs onto contracts that have just been awarded contracts

Edited 27 Mar 2024, 11:10 pm by DaveFromUpNorth.
DaveFromUpNorth
27 Mar 2024, 11:09 pm #218

Looks like Nexus has enforced additional costs onto contracts that have just been awarded contracts

(27 Mar 2024, 11:09 pm)DaveFromUpNorth Looks like Nexus has enforced additional costs onto contracts that have just been awarded contracts

Unber43

27 Mar 2024, 11:39 pm #219
Wonder how much ParkLane costs?
Unber43
27 Mar 2024, 11:39 pm #219

Wonder how much ParkLane costs?

Storx

28 Mar 2024, 7:19 am #220

By the looks of it, it's nothing to do with Nexus and is a Newcastle City Council (who own the bus station) policy instead which isn't a surprise as they seem to do everything to make people not want to visit Newcastle.
Storx
28 Mar 2024, 7:19 am #220

By the looks of it, it's nothing to do with Nexus and is a Newcastle City Council (who own the bus station) policy instead which isn't a surprise as they seem to do everything to make people not want to visit Newcastle.

Pages (13) Previous 110 11 12 13 Next

• 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average