Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Bensham Closure?

Bensham Closure?

Bensham Closure?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

morritt89

22 Feb 2024, 5:28 pm #1
I noticed that a former colleague mentioned that Bensham is shutting and departments moving to Riverside.

Now, surely it would have made sense for this to happen before now when Riverside was built? From my visits to Riverside, there was definitely scope for more departments to be based there.
morritt89
22 Feb 2024, 5:28 pm #1

I noticed that a former colleague mentioned that Bensham is shutting and departments moving to Riverside.

Now, surely it would have made sense for this to happen before now when Riverside was built? From my visits to Riverside, there was definitely scope for more departments to be based there.

22 Feb 2024, 6:30 pm #2
It may have been a different gadgie payin for it all then. An now some new management makin the decision to move
BIG MICK STOKOE
22 Feb 2024, 6:30 pm #2

It may have been a different gadgie payin for it all then. An now some new management makin the decision to move

nova347

23 Feb 2024, 7:57 am #3
Wait what departments are in Bensham
nova347
23 Feb 2024, 7:57 am #3

Wait what departments are in Bensham

Dan

Site Administrator

23 Feb 2024, 8:18 am #4
(23 Feb 2024, 7:57 am)nova347 Wait what departments are in Bensham

Directors, commercial team, customer services, payroll (for all of Go-Ahead Group) and finance team.

At the time Riverside was built, there was probably double the number of people based at Bensham. The reason why it can now close and the functions move to Riverside is because of the sheer reduction in number of people working there.

Some users on this forum probably have unrealistic expectations of how many people are employed in each of these departments. The bus industry is very lean in comparison to other industries…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
23 Feb 2024, 8:18 am #4

(23 Feb 2024, 7:57 am)nova347 Wait what departments are in Bensham

Directors, commercial team, customer services, payroll (for all of Go-Ahead Group) and finance team.

At the time Riverside was built, there was probably double the number of people based at Bensham. The reason why it can now close and the functions move to Riverside is because of the sheer reduction in number of people working there.

Some users on this forum probably have unrealistic expectations of how many people are employed in each of these departments. The bus industry is very lean in comparison to other industries…

Andreos1

23 Feb 2024, 9:45 am #5
(22 Feb 2024, 5:28 pm)morritt89 I noticed that a former colleague mentioned that Bensham is shutting and departments moving to Riverside.

An excellent opportunity to sell the land and try to mitigate those losses perhaps? 

Assuming it doesn't sit there like Chester has.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
23 Feb 2024, 9:45 am #5

(22 Feb 2024, 5:28 pm)morritt89 I noticed that a former colleague mentioned that Bensham is shutting and departments moving to Riverside.

An excellent opportunity to sell the land and try to mitigate those losses perhaps? 

Dan

Site Administrator

23 Feb 2024, 10:06 am #6
(23 Feb 2024, 9:45 am)Andreos1 An excellent opportunity to sell the land and try to mitigate those losses perhaps? 

The land for Bensham has already been sold.

Dan
23 Feb 2024, 10:06 am #6

(23 Feb 2024, 9:45 am)Andreos1 An excellent opportunity to sell the land and try to mitigate those losses perhaps? 

The land for Bensham has already been sold.

Storx

23 Feb 2024, 10:10 am #7

You mean asset stripping as the money won't be coming back up here?

Imagine if they spent the money which they will eventually or have made from Bensham, Washington, Chester Le Street and even maybe Saltmeadows to build a new depot somewhere in the Birtley area to solve half the operational issues which are plaguing Riverside currently. 

Never know the Streetdecks might actually be able to run the 21 since it passed this depot that doesn't exist.
Edited 23 Feb 2024, 10:13 am by Storx.
Storx
23 Feb 2024, 10:10 am #7

You mean asset stripping as the money won't be coming back up here?

Imagine if they spent the money which they will eventually or have made from Bensham, Washington, Chester Le Street and even maybe Saltmeadows to build a new depot somewhere in the Birtley area to solve half the operational issues which are plaguing Riverside currently. 

Never know the Streetdecks might actually be able to run the 21 since it passed this depot that doesn't exist.

Andreos1

23 Feb 2024, 12:25 pm #8
(23 Feb 2024, 10:06 am)Dan The land for Bensham has already been sold.

Hope the land was freehold and they've not been paying any charges to use the land!

(23 Feb 2024, 10:10 am)Storx You mean asset stripping as the money won't be coming back up here?

I mean, on a practical level, that makes perfect, logical sense. 

In reality though...
Edited 23 Feb 2024, 12:26 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
23 Feb 2024, 12:25 pm #8

(23 Feb 2024, 10:06 am)Dan The land for Bensham has already been sold.

Hope the land was freehold and they've not been paying any charges to use the land!

(23 Feb 2024, 10:10 am)Storx You mean asset stripping as the money won't be coming back up here?

I mean, on a practical level, that makes perfect, logical sense. 

In reality though...

Ambassador

23 Feb 2024, 1:56 pm #9
(23 Feb 2024, 8:18 am)Dan Some users on this forum probably have unrealistic expectations of how many people are employed in each of these departments. The bus industry is very lean in comparison to other industries…

I'd say they'd be heartened by it (if they had any sense)

Most of the group areas you refer to are equally lean in succesful private operations (aside those on a more global scale like Sage etc)

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
23 Feb 2024, 1:56 pm #9

(23 Feb 2024, 8:18 am)Dan Some users on this forum probably have unrealistic expectations of how many people are employed in each of these departments. The bus industry is very lean in comparison to other industries…

I'd say they'd be heartened by it (if they had any sense)

Most of the group areas you refer to are equally lean in succesful private operations (aside those on a more global scale like Sage etc)

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

23 Feb 2024, 3:40 pm #10
When I started back in 1990 , the training school was based at Bensham when it was still a works department ( what is now Saltmeadows)
Retro Nero
23 Feb 2024, 3:40 pm #10

When I started back in 1990 , the training school was based at Bensham when it was still a works department ( what is now Saltmeadows)

Wybus

23 Feb 2024, 11:14 pm #11
Having a head office that is neither at a depot or alternatively in high profile city centre location is pretty unusual.

I’m surprised they didn’t move out and into Riverside (with this being built with more office space) at the time
Wybus
23 Feb 2024, 11:14 pm #11

Having a head office that is neither at a depot or alternatively in high profile city centre location is pretty unusual.

I’m surprised they didn’t move out and into Riverside (with this being built with more office space) at the time

23 Feb 2024, 11:39 pm #12
It's logical to close it and place it within a depot really
DaveFromUpNorth
23 Feb 2024, 11:39 pm #12

It's logical to close it and place it within a depot really

Storx

24 Feb 2024, 7:52 am #13
I'm surprised GoAhead still bother with everything split so much, seems a monumental waste of money.

I know there's some minimum benefits, but it would be much more cost effective to have a centralised office in the whole company where things like support is done which pretty much all the companies do.

You might not get the 'personal' touch but most people using a bus probably don't like them regardless.

Similar with branding and marketing aswell, might actually get some consistency across the company rather than some of the crap that GNE pump out.
Storx
24 Feb 2024, 7:52 am #13

I'm surprised GoAhead still bother with everything split so much, seems a monumental waste of money.

I know there's some minimum benefits, but it would be much more cost effective to have a centralised office in the whole company where things like support is done which pretty much all the companies do.

You might not get the 'personal' touch but most people using a bus probably don't like them regardless.

Similar with branding and marketing aswell, might actually get some consistency across the company rather than some of the crap that GNE pump out.

Dan

Site Administrator

24 Feb 2024, 8:15 am #14
(24 Feb 2024, 7:52 am)Storx I'm surprised GoAhead still bother with everything split so much, seems a monumental waste of money.

Be careful what you wish for, Storx.

Most functions which can be centralised already are - IT, Accounts Payable and similar are all shared services for the entire Group (based at Grey Street in Newcastle).

The devolved model with local accountability is one of the things which, in my view, sets Go-Ahead apart from its competitors. In theory it should allow better, more agile, decision-making.

Alas, Go-Ahead are currently in the process of rolling out a new centralised model called ‘The Go-Ahead Way’, which will standardise practices across all operating companies, including branding (as seen by the recent change of logo) and marketing.

Other areas such as route costings will also form part of this (so profitability of the network on an individual service-by-service basis will be reportable back to Group) and fleet will also be centralised, with investment predominantly at more profitable operating companies. This means that less profitable operating companies such as Go North East can look forward to receiving even more cascaded buses from other operating companies (both from London and the provinces).

It probably won’t be too long before there is one standardised livery for the entire Group, outside of London.

Dan
24 Feb 2024, 8:15 am #14

(24 Feb 2024, 7:52 am)Storx I'm surprised GoAhead still bother with everything split so much, seems a monumental waste of money.

Be careful what you wish for, Storx.

Most functions which can be centralised already are - IT, Accounts Payable and similar are all shared services for the entire Group (based at Grey Street in Newcastle).

The devolved model with local accountability is one of the things which, in my view, sets Go-Ahead apart from its competitors. In theory it should allow better, more agile, decision-making.

Alas, Go-Ahead are currently in the process of rolling out a new centralised model called ‘The Go-Ahead Way’, which will standardise practices across all operating companies, including branding (as seen by the recent change of logo) and marketing.

Other areas such as route costings will also form part of this (so profitability of the network on an individual service-by-service basis will be reportable back to Group) and fleet will also be centralised, with investment predominantly at more profitable operating companies. This means that less profitable operating companies such as Go North East can look forward to receiving even more cascaded buses from other operating companies (both from London and the provinces).

It probably won’t be too long before there is one standardised livery for the entire Group, outside of London.

Storx

24 Feb 2024, 8:37 am #15
(24 Feb 2024, 8:15 am)Dan Be careful what you wish for, Storx.

Yeah wasn't saying I particularly wanted it tbh. Just surprised it was never done, a whole group fleet livery being another, mind if they did, I hope they at least go for the First modal where there's some local variants but it can be easily be swapped with changing vinyls or whatever rather than the Stagecoach and Arriva approach where one fit, fits all. 

Obviously GoNorthEast is the completely opposite to Arriva and Stagecoach locally since it's a complete basketcase in the wider group in comparison to the other two where it's each one of their flagship areas pretty much. Happy to be corrected but I believe Stagecoach Newcastle is/or was second after Manchester which technically doesn't really exist anymore and Arriva NE / Yorkshire is top other than maybe Merseyside?

Just hope there's not similar reactions to the other two's respective basket case areas as places like Cheshire are pretty much gone now and Stagecoach East is pretty grim aswell.
Edited 24 Feb 2024, 8:38 am by Storx.
Storx
24 Feb 2024, 8:37 am #15

(24 Feb 2024, 8:15 am)Dan Be careful what you wish for, Storx.

Yeah wasn't saying I particularly wanted it tbh. Just surprised it was never done, a whole group fleet livery being another, mind if they did, I hope they at least go for the First modal where there's some local variants but it can be easily be swapped with changing vinyls or whatever rather than the Stagecoach and Arriva approach where one fit, fits all. 

Obviously GoNorthEast is the completely opposite to Arriva and Stagecoach locally since it's a complete basketcase in the wider group in comparison to the other two where it's each one of their flagship areas pretty much. Happy to be corrected but I believe Stagecoach Newcastle is/or was second after Manchester which technically doesn't really exist anymore and Arriva NE / Yorkshire is top other than maybe Merseyside?

Just hope there's not similar reactions to the other two's respective basket case areas as places like Cheshire are pretty much gone now and Stagecoach East is pretty grim aswell.

Rob44

03 Mar 2024, 2:37 pm #16
not sure the fare paying public will see much difference in.....

Someone from GNE Newcastle - we are sorry the bus isn't tracking and neither is the next one. The first bus at that stop will be 2 hours from now" or someone from London saying we are sorry the bus isn't tracking and neither is the next one. The first bus at that stop will be 2 hours from now"
Rob44
03 Mar 2024, 2:37 pm #16

not sure the fare paying public will see much difference in.....

Someone from GNE Newcastle - we are sorry the bus isn't tracking and neither is the next one. The first bus at that stop will be 2 hours from now" or someone from London saying we are sorry the bus isn't tracking and neither is the next one. The first bus at that stop will be 2 hours from now"

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average