Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Change of Mayoralty in the North East

Change of Mayoralty in the North East

Change of Mayoralty in the North East

• 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average

06 Apr 2024, 8:24 am #1
There is a change coming to the Mayoralty in the North East.

The post of North of Tyne Mayor, currently held by Jamie Driscoll, is being abolished.

In its place is a new vacancy for Mayor for the North East.  The area covered will basically be Northumberland, Tyne & Wear and County Durham, excluding Darlington which comes under the remit of the Tees Valley Mayor.

Jamie has not been selected as the Labour candidate and will stand as an independent.  The Labour candidate will be Kim McGuinness.
MetrolineGA1511
06 Apr 2024, 8:24 am #1

There is a change coming to the Mayoralty in the North East.

The post of North of Tyne Mayor, currently held by Jamie Driscoll, is being abolished.

In its place is a new vacancy for Mayor for the North East.  The area covered will basically be Northumberland, Tyne & Wear and County Durham, excluding Darlington which comes under the remit of the Tees Valley Mayor.

Jamie has not been selected as the Labour candidate and will stand as an independent.  The Labour candidate will be Kim McGuinness.

Adrian

06 Apr 2024, 12:47 pm #2
The candidate list has been published: https://www.sunderland.gov.uk/media/3231...2340905780

• The deadline for registering to vote for this election is 11:59pm on Tuesday 16 April 2024*
• The deadline to apply for a postal vote, or change a current postal vote is 5pm on Wednesday 17 April 2024*
• The deadline to apply to vote by proxy is 5pm on Wednesday 24 April 2024*

* I think all dates may slightly differ, depending on your local authority. You can register to vote online at https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
Adrian
06 Apr 2024, 12:47 pm #2

The candidate list has been published: https://www.sunderland.gov.uk/media/3231...2340905780

• The deadline for registering to vote for this election is 11:59pm on Tuesday 16 April 2024*
• The deadline to apply for a postal vote, or change a current postal vote is 5pm on Wednesday 17 April 2024*
• The deadline to apply to vote by proxy is 5pm on Wednesday 24 April 2024*

* I think all dates may slightly differ, depending on your local authority. You can register to vote online at https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

busmanT

10 Apr 2024, 8:34 pm #3
(06 Apr 2024, 8:24 am)MetrolineGA1511 There is a change coming to the Mayoralty in the North East.

Both Jamie and Kim will, if they win, introduce bus franchising.
Kim has already announced that if she wins the franchised bus network will be called the “Angel Network”.
Buses will be in the same livery as Metro trains ie mostly yellow.
busmanT
10 Apr 2024, 8:34 pm #3

(06 Apr 2024, 8:24 am)MetrolineGA1511 There is a change coming to the Mayoralty in the North East.

Both Jamie and Kim will, if they win, introduce bus franchising.
Kim has already announced that if she wins the franchised bus network will be called the “Angel Network”.

11 Apr 2024, 2:18 am #4
(10 Apr 2024, 8:34 pm)busmanT  Both Jamie and Kim will, if they win, introduce bus franchising.

Like I said on a different thread previously, I really hope the entire network is looked at properly, not just buses but a proper integration of Rail, Metro and Bus. More importantly, I hope it isn't just Nexus given the keys to the lot for them to do what they've done to the Metro, there needs to be more reforming then just painting the buses yellow again.
deanmachine
11 Apr 2024, 2:18 am #4

(10 Apr 2024, 8:34 pm)busmanT  Both Jamie and Kim will, if they win, introduce bus franchising.

Like I said on a different thread previously, I really hope the entire network is looked at properly, not just buses but a proper integration of Rail, Metro and Bus. More importantly, I hope it isn't just Nexus given the keys to the lot for them to do what they've done to the Metro, there needs to be more reforming then just painting the buses yellow again.

Storx

11 Apr 2024, 12:49 pm #5
(11 Apr 2024, 2:18 am)deanmachine Like I said on a different thread previously, I really hope the entire network is looked at properly, not just buses but a proper integration of Rail, Metro and Bus. More importantly, I hope it isn't just Nexus given the keys to the lot for them to do what they've done to the Metro, there needs to be more reforming then just painting the buses yellow again.

I hope they scrap the ridiculous 'Angel'. It doesn't represent the North East, at all, and would just show Tyneside bias like pretty much anything like this.

You don't go to Paris and get the Eiffel Bus. It's just not needed at all and pointless. The Bee Network in Manchester is bad enough.

I'd assume it would be the 'expertise' at Transport North East who would take the reins rather than Nexus though.
Edited 11 Apr 2024, 12:52 pm by Storx.
Storx
11 Apr 2024, 12:49 pm #5

(11 Apr 2024, 2:18 am)deanmachine Like I said on a different thread previously, I really hope the entire network is looked at properly, not just buses but a proper integration of Rail, Metro and Bus. More importantly, I hope it isn't just Nexus given the keys to the lot for them to do what they've done to the Metro, there needs to be more reforming then just painting the buses yellow again.

I hope they scrap the ridiculous 'Angel'. It doesn't represent the North East, at all, and would just show Tyneside bias like pretty much anything like this.

You don't go to Paris and get the Eiffel Bus. It's just not needed at all and pointless. The Bee Network in Manchester is bad enough.

I'd assume it would be the 'expertise' at Transport North East who would take the reins rather than Nexus though.

Adrian

11 Apr 2024, 2:11 pm #6

From the transport hustings I attended in Newcastle, the Lib Dem and Green candidate also supported the idea of a franchised bus network.

The Tory, perhaps as expected, spoke a lot about caution about punishing motorists (which I think is the national narrative?) and the Reform candidate didn't really for or against the model, but towed some of the same line as the Tory about motorists.

It needs to be, but I think realistically it'll be taken over largely as is, then gradual reforms and changes made.

There'll be a lot for everyone to learn, if we're to move forward with this model, and I think one of the biggest decisions will be ensuring we've got the right management in place. As things stand, I'm not convinced we do have. We've a Joint Transport Committee that make the decisions, without a single public transport user amongst them. I think Gannon and Hughes only see a bus when they're stood between it and a camera.

(11 Apr 2024, 12:49 pm)Storx I hope they scrap the ridiculous 'Angel'. It doesn't represent the North East, at all, and would just show Tyneside bias like pretty much anything like this.

I make no secret about being a big supporter of Jamie Driscoll, but I hope whoever gets in, the first thing they realise is that this never-ending pointless branding just doesn't work. It doesn't need to be branded anything other than 'Transport North East' or whatever the trading name is.

As for colour scheme, then yes, I'd say it makes sense to paint them similar to the Metro, but it's really the least of our worries with the current network.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
11 Apr 2024, 2:11 pm #6

From the transport hustings I attended in Newcastle, the Lib Dem and Green candidate also supported the idea of a franchised bus network.

The Tory, perhaps as expected, spoke a lot about caution about punishing motorists (which I think is the national narrative?) and the Reform candidate didn't really for or against the model, but towed some of the same line as the Tory about motorists.

It needs to be, but I think realistically it'll be taken over largely as is, then gradual reforms and changes made.

There'll be a lot for everyone to learn, if we're to move forward with this model, and I think one of the biggest decisions will be ensuring we've got the right management in place. As things stand, I'm not convinced we do have. We've a Joint Transport Committee that make the decisions, without a single public transport user amongst them. I think Gannon and Hughes only see a bus when they're stood between it and a camera.

(11 Apr 2024, 12:49 pm)Storx I hope they scrap the ridiculous 'Angel'. It doesn't represent the North East, at all, and would just show Tyneside bias like pretty much anything like this.

I make no secret about being a big supporter of Jamie Driscoll, but I hope whoever gets in, the first thing they realise is that this never-ending pointless branding just doesn't work. It doesn't need to be branded anything other than 'Transport North East' or whatever the trading name is.

As for colour scheme, then yes, I'd say it makes sense to paint them similar to the Metro, but it's really the least of our worries with the current network.

Storx

11 Apr 2024, 4:47 pm #7
(11 Apr 2024, 2:11 pm)Adrian I make no secret about being a big supporter of Jamie Driscoll, but I hope whoever gets in, the first thing they realise is that this never-ending pointless branding just doesn't work. It doesn't need to be branded anything other than 'Transport North East' or whatever the trading name is.

Yeah totally agreed, personally mind I'd rather see them do it a different colour and create a brand between them like London pretty much; ie Orange Overground, Turquoise DLR, Red Bus, Blue/Red Tube, Light Green Tram and so on.

They, kind of, already have it anyway with the colours used on the Nexus site. Why reinvent everything for the sake of it.
Edited 11 Apr 2024, 4:52 pm by Storx.
Storx
11 Apr 2024, 4:47 pm #7

(11 Apr 2024, 2:11 pm)Adrian I make no secret about being a big supporter of Jamie Driscoll, but I hope whoever gets in, the first thing they realise is that this never-ending pointless branding just doesn't work. It doesn't need to be branded anything other than 'Transport North East' or whatever the trading name is.

Yeah totally agreed, personally mind I'd rather see them do it a different colour and create a brand between them like London pretty much; ie Orange Overground, Turquoise DLR, Red Bus, Blue/Red Tube, Light Green Tram and so on.

They, kind of, already have it anyway with the colours used on the Nexus site. Why reinvent everything for the sake of it.

F114TML

11 Apr 2024, 6:30 pm #8
I don't see why we can't have a red version of the Metro livery. Would look better than the yellow on buses IMO.
F114TML
11 Apr 2024, 6:30 pm #8

I don't see why we can't have a red version of the Metro livery. Would look better than the yellow on buses IMO.

busmanT

11 Apr 2024, 6:47 pm #9

Transport North East is not directly involved in bus network planning - that’s the responsibility of Nexus, Durham and Northumberland County Councils and there is no indication that this will change.
busmanT
11 Apr 2024, 6:47 pm #9

Transport North East is not directly involved in bus network planning - that’s the responsibility of Nexus, Durham and Northumberland County Councils and there is no indication that this will change.

Adrian

11 Apr 2024, 6:56 pm #10
(11 Apr 2024, 6:47 pm)busmanT Transport North East is not directly involved in bus network planning - that’s the responsibility of Nexus, Durham and Northumberland County Councils and there is no indication that this will change.

If we go down the franchising route, I can't see how that'd work with responsibility further devolved at County level? The sensible option would be to extend the existing Tyne and Wear executive to the new CMA region and rename it. That'd bring it inline with having one ITA (Transport North East) to oversee it all.

Adrian
11 Apr 2024, 6:56 pm #10

(11 Apr 2024, 6:47 pm)busmanT Transport North East is not directly involved in bus network planning - that’s the responsibility of Nexus, Durham and Northumberland County Councils and there is no indication that this will change.

If we go down the franchising route, I can't see how that'd work with responsibility further devolved at County level? The sensible option would be to extend the existing Tyne and Wear executive to the new CMA region and rename it. That'd bring it inline with having one ITA (Transport North East) to oversee it all.

11 Apr 2024, 7:01 pm #11
Suppose GCT is already painted in nexus colours in preparation ???
DaveFromUpNorth
11 Apr 2024, 7:01 pm #11

Suppose GCT is already painted in nexus colours in preparation ???

Andreos1

11 Apr 2024, 9:53 pm #12
(11 Apr 2024, 2:11 pm)Adrian From the transport hustings I attended in Newcastle, the Lib Dem and Green candidate also supported the idea of a franchised bus network.

I agree in the sense the network is way more important, but a quick win in deciding on a colour scheme should allow them to focus on the bigger picture and get the network re-built, with the added colour scheme ready to roll out to help support any PR, profile raising, events and consultations.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
11 Apr 2024, 9:53 pm #12

(11 Apr 2024, 2:11 pm)Adrian From the transport hustings I attended in Newcastle, the Lib Dem and Green candidate also supported the idea of a franchised bus network.

I agree in the sense the network is way more important, but a quick win in deciding on a colour scheme should allow them to focus on the bigger picture and get the network re-built, with the added colour scheme ready to roll out to help support any PR, profile raising, events and consultations.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

20 Apr 2024, 8:42 am #13

This means that 3 franchised networks - Manchester, Merseyside, North East - will have yellow buses.

Admittedly these to some extent match the colours of Metrolink, MerseyRail and Metro respectively.  So this will provide the appearance of integrated transport in the area.
MetrolineGA1511
20 Apr 2024, 8:42 am #13

This means that 3 franchised networks - Manchester, Merseyside, North East - will have yellow buses.

Admittedly these to some extent match the colours of Metrolink, MerseyRail and Metro respectively.  So this will provide the appearance of integrated transport in the area.

Rob44

20 Apr 2024, 4:10 pm #14
(20 Apr 2024, 8:42 am)MetrolineGA1511 This means that 3 franchised networks - Manchester, Merseyside, North East - will have yellow buses.

THE "recent repaint" threads on here will go into overdrive!!
Rob44
20 Apr 2024, 4:10 pm #14

(20 Apr 2024, 8:42 am)MetrolineGA1511 This means that 3 franchised networks - Manchester, Merseyside, North East - will have yellow buses.

THE "recent repaint" threads on here will go into overdrive!!

• 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average