Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East 'Temporary' Frequency Reduction

'Temporary' Frequency Reduction

'Temporary' Frequency Reduction

• 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average

Pages (3) 1 2 3 Next
Unber43

09 Apr 2024, 8:13 am #1
Arriva North East have announced a temporary frequency reduction on the 35|X21|X22 they will be reduced to every 30 minutes Monday-Friday, Saturday and Sunday services will not change.

What are the odds that the temporary frequencies will become permanent?
Unber43
09 Apr 2024, 8:13 am #1

Arriva North East have announced a temporary frequency reduction on the 35|X21|X22 they will be reduced to every 30 minutes Monday-Friday, Saturday and Sunday services will not change.

mb134

09 Apr 2024, 8:25 am #2
(09 Apr 2024, 8:13 am)Unber43 Arriva North East have announced a temporary frequency reduction on the 35|X21|X22 they will be reduced to every 30 minutes Monday-Friday, Saturday and Sunday services will not change.

Arriva Northumbria tend to actually reinstate previous frequencies when they announced temporary reductions, a prime example of this is the 43/44/45 after the issues at Jesmond, so I'm not sure why you don't think that will be the case here? Note that they have maintained an every 20 minute frequency on the X21/22 during the morning peak to Newcastle.
mb134
09 Apr 2024, 8:25 am #2

(09 Apr 2024, 8:13 am)Unber43 Arriva North East have announced a temporary frequency reduction on the 35|X21|X22 they will be reduced to every 30 minutes Monday-Friday, Saturday and Sunday services will not change.

Arriva Northumbria tend to actually reinstate previous frequencies when they announced temporary reductions, a prime example of this is the 43/44/45 after the issues at Jesmond, so I'm not sure why you don't think that will be the case here? Note that they have maintained an every 20 minute frequency on the X21/22 during the morning peak to Newcastle.

10 Apr 2024, 3:19 pm #3
It won't be going back to normal anytime soon. Current new starters are on 2p an hour above minimum wage until the latest pay deal is resolved, and even then I can't see it going up to anymore than £12/hr.
Driver9***
10 Apr 2024, 3:19 pm #3

It won't be going back to normal anytime soon. Current new starters are on 2p an hour above minimum wage until the latest pay deal is resolved, and even then I can't see it going up to anymore than £12/hr.

mb134

10 Apr 2024, 3:22 pm #4
(10 Apr 2024, 3:19 pm)Driver9*** It won't be going back to normal anytime soon. Current new starters are on 2p an hour above minimum wage until the latest pay deal is resolved, and even then I can't see it going up to anymore than £12/hr.

I mean, the rejected offer was significantly more than £12/hr for new starters.
mb134
10 Apr 2024, 3:22 pm #4

(10 Apr 2024, 3:19 pm)Driver9*** It won't be going back to normal anytime soon. Current new starters are on 2p an hour above minimum wage until the latest pay deal is resolved, and even then I can't see it going up to anymore than £12/hr.

I mean, the rejected offer was significantly more than £12/hr for new starters.

10 Apr 2024, 3:32 pm #5
(10 Apr 2024, 3:22 pm)mb134 I mean, the rejected offer was significantly more than £12/hr for new starters.

Was it? I guess the proposed 4% was just for the top earners then? I guess they have to offer new starters more considering GNEs are on almost £13/hr......
Driver9***
10 Apr 2024, 3:32 pm #5

(10 Apr 2024, 3:22 pm)mb134 I mean, the rejected offer was significantly more than £12/hr for new starters.

Was it? I guess the proposed 4% was just for the top earners then? I guess they have to offer new starters more considering GNEs are on almost £13/hr......

mb134

10 Apr 2024, 3:38 pm #6
(10 Apr 2024, 3:32 pm)Driver9*** Was it? I guess the proposed 4% was just for the top earners then? I guess they have to offer new starters more considering GNEs are on almost £13/hr......

The most recent offer was around 6% for those on top rate.
mb134
10 Apr 2024, 3:38 pm #6

(10 Apr 2024, 3:32 pm)Driver9*** Was it? I guess the proposed 4% was just for the top earners then? I guess they have to offer new starters more considering GNEs are on almost £13/hr......

The most recent offer was around 6% for those on top rate.

Aaron21

15 Apr 2024, 7:48 am #7
Blyth seems to have the 1 due to the Ashington shortages. I was told it was the 2
Aaron21
15 Apr 2024, 7:48 am #7

Blyth seems to have the 1 due to the Ashington shortages. I was told it was the 2

15 Apr 2024, 12:21 pm #8
(15 Apr 2024, 7:48 am)Aaron21 Blyth seems to have the 1 due to the Ashington shortages. I was told it was the 2

yeah they appear to have 2 boards of the 1 and ash has the remaining 2 boards. seen 1493 and 1504 out on the 1 today and ashingtons 7557 and 7560.
NEbushopper
15 Apr 2024, 12:21 pm #8

(15 Apr 2024, 7:48 am)Aaron21 Blyth seems to have the 1 due to the Ashington shortages. I was told it was the 2

yeah they appear to have 2 boards of the 1 and ash has the remaining 2 boards. seen 1493 and 1504 out on the 1 today and ashingtons 7557 and 7560.

mb134

16 Apr 2024, 1:17 pm #9
Reduction has went horrendously. Coupled with shocking allocations (Streetlites on the busiest X21/22s to town, and on the hourly X14), there are multiple X21/22s cancelled each day leaving gaps of 90 mins to 2 hours at times.

The lack of plan to fix things from management, given the length of time they have been short of drivers, shows the sheer scale of the incompetence. If the new owners have any sense, every single person involved in the overall "management" of the company should be at the Job Centre within 5 minutes of them taking over.
mb134
16 Apr 2024, 1:17 pm #9

Reduction has went horrendously. Coupled with shocking allocations (Streetlites on the busiest X21/22s to town, and on the hourly X14), there are multiple X21/22s cancelled each day leaving gaps of 90 mins to 2 hours at times.

The lack of plan to fix things from management, given the length of time they have been short of drivers, shows the sheer scale of the incompetence. If the new owners have any sense, every single person involved in the overall "management" of the company should be at the Job Centre within 5 minutes of them taking over.

Thomas12

16 Apr 2024, 1:38 pm #10
(16 Apr 2024, 1:17 pm)mb134 Reduction has went horrendously. Coupled with shocking allocations (Streetlites on the busiest X21/22s to town, and on the hourly X14), there are multiple X21/22s cancelled each day leaving gaps of 90 mins to 2 hours at times.

I find it interesting how quickly Northumbria have gone downhill. The 306/308 used to be pretty good until late last year, and now they are completely unusable.

GNE must be happy with the extra passengers at least!
Edited 16 Apr 2024, 1:38 pm by Thomas12.
Thomas12
16 Apr 2024, 1:38 pm #10

(16 Apr 2024, 1:17 pm)mb134 Reduction has went horrendously. Coupled with shocking allocations (Streetlites on the busiest X21/22s to town, and on the hourly X14), there are multiple X21/22s cancelled each day leaving gaps of 90 mins to 2 hours at times.

I find it interesting how quickly Northumbria have gone downhill. The 306/308 used to be pretty good until late last year, and now they are completely unusable.

Shrek

16 Apr 2024, 5:27 pm #11
(16 Apr 2024, 1:38 pm)Thomas12 I find it interesting how quickly Northumbria have gone downhill. The 306/308 used to be pretty good until late last year, and now they are completely unusable.

It's interesting how many times I've seen people let the 309 pass and wait for the 306 or 308 to go as far as Corner House or Benfield Road. Either some people still prefer Arriva, or the promotional work that you can use the Arriva tickets on GNE coast road services hasn't worked well. I assume the latter.
Shrek
16 Apr 2024, 5:27 pm #11

(16 Apr 2024, 1:38 pm)Thomas12 I find it interesting how quickly Northumbria have gone downhill. The 306/308 used to be pretty good until late last year, and now they are completely unusable.

It's interesting how many times I've seen people let the 309 pass and wait for the 306 or 308 to go as far as Corner House or Benfield Road. Either some people still prefer Arriva, or the promotional work that you can use the Arriva tickets on GNE coast road services hasn't worked well. I assume the latter.

Storx

16 Apr 2024, 5:59 pm #12

You should come live down from a route from the Blyth depot, it's been going on for the best part of 2 year now, ever since the Jesmond ballsup and them gaining work, they never had the drivers to actually do the work.

There's a reason why I'm so pro train and it's not just that it's a train, it's also the incompetence of Arriva.

The allocations are shocking here aswell, there appears to be two boards missing on the X7/X8/X9 today. How should we do it? I have a good idea, let's do two boards straight after each other Angel
Edited 16 Apr 2024, 5:59 pm by Storx.
Storx
16 Apr 2024, 5:59 pm #12

You should come live down from a route from the Blyth depot, it's been going on for the best part of 2 year now, ever since the Jesmond ballsup and them gaining work, they never had the drivers to actually do the work.

There's a reason why I'm so pro train and it's not just that it's a train, it's also the incompetence of Arriva.

The allocations are shocking here aswell, there appears to be two boards missing on the X7/X8/X9 today. How should we do it? I have a good idea, let's do two boards straight after each other Angel

16 Apr 2024, 6:37 pm #13
(16 Apr 2024, 5:59 pm)Storx You should come live down from a route from the Blyth depot, it's been going on for the best part of 2 year now, ever since the Jesmond ballsup and them gaining work, they never had the drivers to actually do the work.

I had a problem with the 306 today; the bus I went for didn't turn up and the next one, due 20 minutes later, was 12 minutes late. I got off the bus at St. Mary's Place, and there was another 306 immediately behind. On my return journey at the Haymarket the departure board was showing a 306 due in 3 minutes. It didn't show, so I used the 308 instead. Then on the Coast Road I noticed a 306 ahead of the 308. Departed too early from the Haymarket?? It's ironic that Arriva have recently increased the frequency on a number of their services, and they have introduced new services, yet they don't have the capacity to run them efficiently. I wish they would just pack in altogether and allow a more competent company to take over.
Ex-conductor
16 Apr 2024, 6:37 pm #13

(16 Apr 2024, 5:59 pm)Storx You should come live down from a route from the Blyth depot, it's been going on for the best part of 2 year now, ever since the Jesmond ballsup and them gaining work, they never had the drivers to actually do the work.

I had a problem with the 306 today; the bus I went for didn't turn up and the next one, due 20 minutes later, was 12 minutes late. I got off the bus at St. Mary's Place, and there was another 306 immediately behind. On my return journey at the Haymarket the departure board was showing a 306 due in 3 minutes. It didn't show, so I used the 308 instead. Then on the Coast Road I noticed a 306 ahead of the 308. Departed too early from the Haymarket?? It's ironic that Arriva have recently increased the frequency on a number of their services, and they have introduced new services, yet they don't have the capacity to run them efficiently. I wish they would just pack in altogether and allow a more competent company to take over.

Storx

16 Apr 2024, 7:05 pm #14
(16 Apr 2024, 6:37 pm)Ex-conductor I had a problem with the 306 today; the bus I went for didn't turn up and the next one, due 20 minutes later, was 12 minutes late. I got off the bus at St. Mary's Place, and there was another 306 immediately behind. On my return journey at the Haymarket the departure board was showing a 306 due in 3 minutes. It didn't show, so I used the 308 instead. Then on the Coast Road I noticed a 306 ahead of the 308. Departed too early from the Haymarket?? It's ironic that Arriva have recently increased the frequency on a number of their services, and they have introduced new services, yet they don't have the capacity to run them efficiently. I wish they would just pack in altogether and allow a more competent company to take over.

Doesn't surprise me one bit that. There's been a few times here where one of the X7's has left Haymarket 25 minutes late, happens all the time due to traffic for them to run an empty bus in and run it on time on the board behind for them to follow each whereas everything is cancelled, just horrible allocating of things.

Doesn't help the timetables are too tight either mind.
Storx
16 Apr 2024, 7:05 pm #14

(16 Apr 2024, 6:37 pm)Ex-conductor I had a problem with the 306 today; the bus I went for didn't turn up and the next one, due 20 minutes later, was 12 minutes late. I got off the bus at St. Mary's Place, and there was another 306 immediately behind. On my return journey at the Haymarket the departure board was showing a 306 due in 3 minutes. It didn't show, so I used the 308 instead. Then on the Coast Road I noticed a 306 ahead of the 308. Departed too early from the Haymarket?? It's ironic that Arriva have recently increased the frequency on a number of their services, and they have introduced new services, yet they don't have the capacity to run them efficiently. I wish they would just pack in altogether and allow a more competent company to take over.

Doesn't surprise me one bit that. There's been a few times here where one of the X7's has left Haymarket 25 minutes late, happens all the time due to traffic for them to run an empty bus in and run it on time on the board behind for them to follow each whereas everything is cancelled, just horrible allocating of things.

Doesn't help the timetables are too tight either mind.

L469 YVK

16 Apr 2024, 7:31 pm #15

And ever since the original 44 was withdrawn (Hazlerigg - Whitley Bay).....both Arriva & GNE have been guilty of a 'pack em in and make them late' mentality! The East of North Tyneside & Seaton Sluice has badly been screaming out of an express. Considering the 308 was at one point (excl any Stagecoach routes) the most profitable behind GNE's 21 which has a parallel express (X21).

My biggest gripe is lets say a 308 or 309 are running in pairs Blyth to New York or Billy Mill. They either keep chasing each other....or in GNE's case, SDC kicks passengers onto the one behind making them even more later. Don't know what the insurance implications are for carrying NIS (maybe Dan would be able to answer that) but surely the driver should say "if you want Newcastle stay on, or if wanting anywhere en-route, jump on the one behind".
L469 YVK
16 Apr 2024, 7:31 pm #15

And ever since the original 44 was withdrawn (Hazlerigg - Whitley Bay).....both Arriva & GNE have been guilty of a 'pack em in and make them late' mentality! The East of North Tyneside & Seaton Sluice has badly been screaming out of an express. Considering the 308 was at one point (excl any Stagecoach routes) the most profitable behind GNE's 21 which has a parallel express (X21).

My biggest gripe is lets say a 308 or 309 are running in pairs Blyth to New York or Billy Mill. They either keep chasing each other....or in GNE's case, SDC kicks passengers onto the one behind making them even more later. Don't know what the insurance implications are for carrying NIS (maybe Dan would be able to answer that) but surely the driver should say "if you want Newcastle stay on, or if wanting anywhere en-route, jump on the one behind".

16 Apr 2024, 7:53 pm #16

All three of the Jesmond/Ashington/Blyth depot managers retired at the end of last year. If the man who was the assitant DM at Ashington got the DM job I'm not surprised it's running like a bag of s***e, he wasn't fit to run a bath.

Personally I think the owners are hoping demand drops when the new train line is opened later this year so they're just sucking up the criticism for now.
Driver9***
16 Apr 2024, 7:53 pm #16

All three of the Jesmond/Ashington/Blyth depot managers retired at the end of last year. If the man who was the assitant DM at Ashington got the DM job I'm not surprised it's running like a bag of s***e, he wasn't fit to run a bath.

Personally I think the owners are hoping demand drops when the new train line is opened later this year so they're just sucking up the criticism for now.

Shrek

16 Apr 2024, 10:30 pm #17
(16 Apr 2024, 7:53 pm)Driver9*** All three of the Jesmond/Ashington/Blyth depot managers retired at the end of last year. If the man who was the assitant DM at Ashington got the DM job I'm not surprised it's running like a bag of s***e, he wasn't fit to run a bath.

They're in the middle of a takeover, I suspect the current owners don't care. The little bits I've heard about the company taking over is they invest wisely in order to improve profits. They must have a plan and I doubt dumping areas which can make money like the North East will be part of that plan. The sooner it goes through the better as it is rotting badly now.
Shrek
16 Apr 2024, 10:30 pm #17

(16 Apr 2024, 7:53 pm)Driver9*** All three of the Jesmond/Ashington/Blyth depot managers retired at the end of last year. If the man who was the assitant DM at Ashington got the DM job I'm not surprised it's running like a bag of s***e, he wasn't fit to run a bath.

They're in the middle of a takeover, I suspect the current owners don't care. The little bits I've heard about the company taking over is they invest wisely in order to improve profits. They must have a plan and I doubt dumping areas which can make money like the North East will be part of that plan. The sooner it goes through the better as it is rotting badly now.

mb134

16 Apr 2024, 10:36 pm #18

I think depot management is a huge issue, but ultimately Rochford shouldn't be in the position he is in - I highly doubt Stagecoach would let him make the teas let alone run 2 divisions. 

Standards dropped off a cliff the second Nick Knox left, and now it's just jobs for the boys at depot management level and above. 

It's funny that both ANE and GNE have both decided to install incompetent management teams right ahead of inevitable franchising. I imagine those involved in the selection process will be on the floor with laughter when they see bids from either company come in. 

It also makes you wonder about the ability of the Traffic Commissioner, the service across the NE has been shocking since 2022-2023 with no signs of improving, and they have done absolutely nothing to hold the companies to account.
mb134
16 Apr 2024, 10:36 pm #18

I think depot management is a huge issue, but ultimately Rochford shouldn't be in the position he is in - I highly doubt Stagecoach would let him make the teas let alone run 2 divisions. 

Standards dropped off a cliff the second Nick Knox left, and now it's just jobs for the boys at depot management level and above. 

It's funny that both ANE and GNE have both decided to install incompetent management teams right ahead of inevitable franchising. I imagine those involved in the selection process will be on the floor with laughter when they see bids from either company come in. 

It also makes you wonder about the ability of the Traffic Commissioner, the service across the NE has been shocking since 2022-2023 with no signs of improving, and they have done absolutely nothing to hold the companies to account.

17 Apr 2024, 8:27 am #19
(16 Apr 2024, 7:31 pm)L469 YVK And ever since the original 44 was withdrawn (Hazlerigg - Whitley Bay).....both Arriva & GNE have been guilty of a 'pack em in and make them late' mentality! The East of North Tyneside & Seaton Sluice has badly been screaming out of an express. Considering the 308 was at one point (excl any Stagecoach routes) the most profitable behind GNE's 21 which has a parallel express (X21).

I agree completely. whilst I will tollerate the 308 as at least it goes a direct route I will not use any of the others because it goes round battle hill and cobalt and is extremely  tedious. Bring back the 44 to Whitley Bay
ian foster
17 Apr 2024, 8:27 am #19

(16 Apr 2024, 7:31 pm)L469 YVK And ever since the original 44 was withdrawn (Hazlerigg - Whitley Bay).....both Arriva & GNE have been guilty of a 'pack em in and make them late' mentality! The East of North Tyneside & Seaton Sluice has badly been screaming out of an express. Considering the 308 was at one point (excl any Stagecoach routes) the most profitable behind GNE's 21 which has a parallel express (X21).

I agree completely. whilst I will tollerate the 308 as at least it goes a direct route I will not use any of the others because it goes round battle hill and cobalt and is extremely  tedious. Bring back the 44 to Whitley Bay

Storx

17 Apr 2024, 10:16 am #20

See personally, I think the 308 should terminate short at Whitley Bay, it's really not needed beyond there. The X7 is the express route pretty much. What is needed though is better Metro links, like personally, I'd look at curtailing the 351 short so it's Whitley Bay to Holystone only, and upping the thing considerable say every 15/20 minutes and use the Metro links instead, you could make a similar case for the 359 aswell and scrap the 354 through to Newcastle.

There's too many buses avoiding Metro stations and going magical on a mystery tour to Newcastle but unless the services are frequent enough, people won't change as it's too risky changing onto an hourly bus, even every 30 minutes is touch and go.

There's no need for a million buses heading to Newcastle imo and it's not unique to this area either. The X46 and Q3 are two other prime examples with the Regent Centre on the doorstep. You could even go further and do the 44/45 aswell, heading from the Grainger Market, it's actually quicker to change already anyway by the time you trundle through to Haymarket.
Edited 17 Apr 2024, 10:55 am by Storx.
Storx
17 Apr 2024, 10:16 am #20

See personally, I think the 308 should terminate short at Whitley Bay, it's really not needed beyond there. The X7 is the express route pretty much. What is needed though is better Metro links, like personally, I'd look at curtailing the 351 short so it's Whitley Bay to Holystone only, and upping the thing considerable say every 15/20 minutes and use the Metro links instead, you could make a similar case for the 359 aswell and scrap the 354 through to Newcastle.

There's too many buses avoiding Metro stations and going magical on a mystery tour to Newcastle but unless the services are frequent enough, people won't change as it's too risky changing onto an hourly bus, even every 30 minutes is touch and go.

There's no need for a million buses heading to Newcastle imo and it's not unique to this area either. The X46 and Q3 are two other prime examples with the Regent Centre on the doorstep. You could even go further and do the 44/45 aswell, heading from the Grainger Market, it's actually quicker to change already anyway by the time you trundle through to Haymarket.

Pages (3) 1 2 3 Next

• 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average