Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Bus Infrastructure Suggestions

Bus Infrastructure Suggestions

Bus Infrastructure Suggestions

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next
BusStop

14 Jul 2013, 9:07 pm #1
From a sign to a Guided Bus Way, from bus lanes to Trolley Buses, what new infrastructure would you install and what could you run through it.

I would like to install a bus lane for southbound traffic on the A188 at Quorum Business Park so that buses don't get stuck in traffic.
BusStop
14 Jul 2013, 9:07 pm #1

From a sign to a Guided Bus Way, from bus lanes to Trolley Buses, what new infrastructure would you install and what could you run through it.

I would like to install a bus lane for southbound traffic on the A188 at Quorum Business Park so that buses don't get stuck in traffic.

MurdnunoC

14 Jul 2013, 9:43 pm #2
A major mistake, in my opinion, that was made during that long period of time when the High Level Bridge was being refurbished was reducing the two-way traffic stream to one-way only. It was good that usage was restricted to buses, taxis and emergency vehicles but it would have been even more useful if it had remained two way. Perhaps one of the walkways could have been removed to provide passing places given more room for buses to maneuver. It would have allowed services from the South of the Tyne faster access into Newcastle City Centre.

While we're on the subject of the High Level Bridge and improved access. I would like to see West Street in Gateshead to be reopened for buses for this reason. You could extend this access on the Newcastle side too by converting both St Nicholas Street and the Bigg Market into bus-only sections (two-way) although this would probably prove to be more problematic with the existing traffic flows.
Edited 14 Jul 2013, 9:49 pm by MurdnunoC.
MurdnunoC
14 Jul 2013, 9:43 pm #2

A major mistake, in my opinion, that was made during that long period of time when the High Level Bridge was being refurbished was reducing the two-way traffic stream to one-way only. It was good that usage was restricted to buses, taxis and emergency vehicles but it would have been even more useful if it had remained two way. Perhaps one of the walkways could have been removed to provide passing places given more room for buses to maneuver. It would have allowed services from the South of the Tyne faster access into Newcastle City Centre.

While we're on the subject of the High Level Bridge and improved access. I would like to see West Street in Gateshead to be reopened for buses for this reason. You could extend this access on the Newcastle side too by converting both St Nicholas Street and the Bigg Market into bus-only sections (two-way) although this would probably prove to be more problematic with the existing traffic flows.

Andreos1

14 Jul 2013, 9:47 pm #3
A dedicated bus lane to accomodate services between Houghton and Fencehouses (ah sh!t, don't tell eezypeazy I mentioned it again Wink

Will come up with a serious suggestion later
Edited 14 Jul 2013, 9:51 pm by Andreos1.
Andreos1
14 Jul 2013, 9:47 pm #3

A dedicated bus lane to accomodate services between Houghton and Fencehouses (ah sh!t, don't tell eezypeazy I mentioned it again Wink

Will come up with a serious suggestion later

Kuyoyo

14 Jul 2013, 9:56 pm #4
(14 Jul 2013, 9:43 pm)AdamY A major mistake, in my opinion, that was made during that long period of time when the High Level Bridge was being refurbished was reducing the two-way traffic stream to one-way only. It was good that usage was restricted to buses, taxis and emergency vehicles but it would have been even more useful if it had remained two way. Perhaps one of the walkways could have been removed to provide passing places given more room for buses to maneuver. It would have allowed services from the South of the Tyne faster access into Newcastle City Centre.

I believe, the main reason that it's only one-way over High Level Bridge is due to the cracks found in the girders during the restoration and the addition of the crash barriers.
Kuyoyo
14 Jul 2013, 9:56 pm #4

(14 Jul 2013, 9:43 pm)AdamY A major mistake, in my opinion, that was made during that long period of time when the High Level Bridge was being refurbished was reducing the two-way traffic stream to one-way only. It was good that usage was restricted to buses, taxis and emergency vehicles but it would have been even more useful if it had remained two way. Perhaps one of the walkways could have been removed to provide passing places given more room for buses to maneuver. It would have allowed services from the South of the Tyne faster access into Newcastle City Centre.

I believe, the main reason that it's only one-way over High Level Bridge is due to the cracks found in the girders during the restoration and the addition of the crash barriers.

MurdnunoC

15 Jul 2013, 7:30 am #5
(15 Jul 2013, 3:39 am)ADLEnviro No something I would like to install but something I would have great pleasure in uninstalling.

The stupid next bus departure board that Nexus spent a few thousand quid on in the middle of The Bridges shopping centre in Sunderland. I look up see the next service I want is due in three minutes then have to decide to leg it to Fawcett Street or the Interchange and miss it by 4 minutes.

On a similar note, there are smaller departure boards located at bus stops and in Tesco at Rowlands Gill. A total waste of money. They only show the departure times of the 45/46, not the 47 or R3/R4/R5/R6, and real-time information is very rarely given.
MurdnunoC
15 Jul 2013, 7:30 am #5

(15 Jul 2013, 3:39 am)ADLEnviro No something I would like to install but something I would have great pleasure in uninstalling.

The stupid next bus departure board that Nexus spent a few thousand quid on in the middle of The Bridges shopping centre in Sunderland. I look up see the next service I want is due in three minutes then have to decide to leg it to Fawcett Street or the Interchange and miss it by 4 minutes.

On a similar note, there are smaller departure boards located at bus stops and in Tesco at Rowlands Gill. A total waste of money. They only show the departure times of the 45/46, not the 47 or R3/R4/R5/R6, and real-time information is very rarely given.

BJ10VUS

15 Jul 2013, 10:01 am #6
Quite a few of the ones on the 'Quaylink' routes just show "Please Use Timetable" most of the time!
BJ10VUS
15 Jul 2013, 10:01 am #6

Quite a few of the ones on the 'Quaylink' routes just show "Please Use Timetable" most of the time!

Adrian

15 Jul 2013, 10:31 am #7
Not quite bus, but I'd love to see tram running between Chester le Street and Newcastle via Durham Road/Low Fell. The same between Shiney Row and Sunderland via Chester Road.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
15 Jul 2013, 10:31 am #7

Not quite bus, but I'd love to see tram running between Chester le Street and Newcastle via Durham Road/Low Fell. The same between Shiney Row and Sunderland via Chester Road.

gtom

Banned

15 Jul 2013, 7:50 pm #8
Re - High Level Bridge.

The latest report on the bridge has stated it will be unable to cope with motorised traffic from 2025, at the latest. Network Rail will obviously give preference to trains over buses which means GNE will have to return to the Tyne Bridge or use Redheugh/Askew or alternatively, Swing Bridge

It's buried within here
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/h...fic_regula
gtom
15 Jul 2013, 7:50 pm #8

Re - High Level Bridge.

The latest report on the bridge has stated it will be unable to cope with motorised traffic from 2025, at the latest. Network Rail will obviously give preference to trains over buses which means GNE will have to return to the Tyne Bridge or use Redheugh/Askew or alternatively, Swing Bridge

It's buried within here

park5354

15 Jul 2013, 8:22 pm #9
(15 Jul 2013, 7:50 pm)gtomlinson Re - High Level Bridge.

It's buried within here

I know it is listed, but it would have been better to knock it down, then build an replica a few feet wider so two way traffic could still use it.

Probably would have been cheaper and quicker than what they done.
park5354
15 Jul 2013, 8:22 pm #9

(15 Jul 2013, 7:50 pm)gtomlinson Re - High Level Bridge.

It's buried within here

I know it is listed, but it would have been better to knock it down, then build an replica a few feet wider so two way traffic could still use it.

Probably would have been cheaper and quicker than what they done.

CatsFast101

Unregistered

16 Jul 2013, 8:30 am #10
(15 Jul 2013, 10:01 am)BJ10VUS Quite a few of the ones on the 'Quaylink' routes just show "Please Use Timetable" most of the time!

The departure boards used at Seaham Byron Place are odd like that too. Stands A & E shows 'Please Use Timetable', Stand B is total blank, Stand C show information for 202/265 but totally forgets the 238 exists & Stand D shows information for the 60 but again forgets about the X7 all together. They also have these at Woods Terrace, Murton and again im fairly sure most of the time they read 'Please use Timetable'. Although personally I'm fan of these boards there's no point they been there if there not going to be used.
CatsFast101
16 Jul 2013, 8:30 am #10

(15 Jul 2013, 10:01 am)BJ10VUS Quite a few of the ones on the 'Quaylink' routes just show "Please Use Timetable" most of the time!

The departure boards used at Seaham Byron Place are odd like that too. Stands A & E shows 'Please Use Timetable', Stand B is total blank, Stand C show information for 202/265 but totally forgets the 238 exists & Stand D shows information for the 60 but again forgets about the X7 all together. They also have these at Woods Terrace, Murton and again im fairly sure most of the time they read 'Please use Timetable'. Although personally I'm fan of these boards there's no point they been there if there not going to be used.

MurdnunoC

16 Jul 2013, 9:05 am #11
(16 Jul 2013, 8:30 am)CatsFast101
Although personally I'm fan of these boards there's no point they been there if there not going to be used.

Yeah, I guess that's pretty much my view. The boards in the Gill never show "Please Use Timetable", just generic information - no different from the timetable. Initially, the aim was to provide passengers with real-time information regarding major delays. Occasionally, this has happened, but usually if the bus isn't at the stop at its scheduled time the display just moves onto the next timetabled service. What started out as probably a good idea has now become an irrelevance to regular passengers, and a confusion to visitors.
MurdnunoC
16 Jul 2013, 9:05 am #11

(16 Jul 2013, 8:30 am)CatsFast101
Although personally I'm fan of these boards there's no point they been there if there not going to be used.

Yeah, I guess that's pretty much my view. The boards in the Gill never show "Please Use Timetable", just generic information - no different from the timetable. Initially, the aim was to provide passengers with real-time information regarding major delays. Occasionally, this has happened, but usually if the bus isn't at the stop at its scheduled time the display just moves onto the next timetabled service. What started out as probably a good idea has now become an irrelevance to regular passengers, and a confusion to visitors.

Chris

16 Jul 2013, 12:32 pm #12
Agree about routing buses through Gateshead the 'old' way on their way into Newcastle, instead of everything bar the X34 going through the Interchange.

Slightly more radical: I'd introduce congestion charging for Newcastle City Centre (obviously the revenue raised would be ringfenced to improve public transport). Slightly more radical still (no, I haven't finally lost my marbles...) I'd be tempted to rip up the Metro and have guided buses. Imagine - a bus zipping under the streets of Newcastle avoiding congestion, and then once it hits the suburbs rejoins the normal roads.

And yes, I am sober!
Chris
16 Jul 2013, 12:32 pm #12

Agree about routing buses through Gateshead the 'old' way on their way into Newcastle, instead of everything bar the X34 going through the Interchange.

Slightly more radical: I'd introduce congestion charging for Newcastle City Centre (obviously the revenue raised would be ringfenced to improve public transport). Slightly more radical still (no, I haven't finally lost my marbles...) I'd be tempted to rip up the Metro and have guided buses. Imagine - a bus zipping under the streets of Newcastle avoiding congestion, and then once it hits the suburbs rejoins the normal roads.

And yes, I am sober!

MurdnunoC

16 Jul 2013, 12:53 pm #13
(16 Jul 2013, 12:32 pm)Chris Agree about routing buses through Gateshead the 'old' way on their way into Newcastle, instead of everything bar the X34 going through the Interchange.

And yes, I am sober!

If some of the more ambitious plans for road-building were implemented by Newcastle's city planners in the 1960s and 70s, we would have ended with an underground east-to-west motorway carrying vehicles underneath the streets of the city. So, a bus zipping under the streets of Newcastle, rejoing current roads in the suburbs isn't as harebrained as you might think. Whether it would alleviate congestion on the other hand, above level - maybe; underground - probably not.

For those wanting to read more about Newcastle's unbuilt motorway network, the Pathetic Motorway's website has a page dedicated it: http://www.pathetic.org.uk/features/tyneside/ - It's an interesting read!!
Edited 16 Jul 2013, 12:55 pm by MurdnunoC.
MurdnunoC
16 Jul 2013, 12:53 pm #13

(16 Jul 2013, 12:32 pm)Chris Agree about routing buses through Gateshead the 'old' way on their way into Newcastle, instead of everything bar the X34 going through the Interchange.

And yes, I am sober!

If some of the more ambitious plans for road-building were implemented by Newcastle's city planners in the 1960s and 70s, we would have ended with an underground east-to-west motorway carrying vehicles underneath the streets of the city. So, a bus zipping under the streets of Newcastle, rejoing current roads in the suburbs isn't as harebrained as you might think. Whether it would alleviate congestion on the other hand, above level - maybe; underground - probably not.

For those wanting to read more about Newcastle's unbuilt motorway network, the Pathetic Motorway's website has a page dedicated it: http://www.pathetic.org.uk/features/tyneside/ - It's an interesting read!!

Andreos1

16 Jul 2013, 1:05 pm #14
Hadn't seen that website before, but I have seen the plans for the motorways and extra bridges Mr Smith would have brought to Newcastle if his plans had came to fruition.
Andreos1
16 Jul 2013, 1:05 pm #14

Hadn't seen that website before, but I have seen the plans for the motorways and extra bridges Mr Smith would have brought to Newcastle if his plans had came to fruition.

MurdnunoC

16 Jul 2013, 1:21 pm #15
(16 Jul 2013, 1:05 pm)Andreos1 Hadn't seen that website before, but I have seen the plans for the motorways and extra bridges Mr Smith would have brought to Newcastle if his plans had came to fruition.

Personally, I like T. Dan Smith. Corruption aside, I think that he genuinely wanted to make Newcastle into a better place for people to live, study and work.

I had to a local history project on him prior to pursuing my undergraduate degree at Northumbria University.
MurdnunoC
16 Jul 2013, 1:21 pm #15

(16 Jul 2013, 1:05 pm)Andreos1 Hadn't seen that website before, but I have seen the plans for the motorways and extra bridges Mr Smith would have brought to Newcastle if his plans had came to fruition.

Personally, I like T. Dan Smith. Corruption aside, I think that he genuinely wanted to make Newcastle into a better place for people to live, study and work.

I had to a local history project on him prior to pursuing my undergraduate degree at Northumbria University.

Andreos1

16 Jul 2013, 1:49 pm #16
Bet there was some fascinating stuff about him.

You could be right, despite the greed and bribes - he wanted to create that vision as well as improving and modernising the City. Whether it would have been an improvement or we would have lost some of the historic soul, is another thing and probably open to debate.

Love reading stuff about local history going back to the pre-war era and the 60's/70's probably saw more change than any other.
Andreos1
16 Jul 2013, 1:49 pm #16

Bet there was some fascinating stuff about him.

You could be right, despite the greed and bribes - he wanted to create that vision as well as improving and modernising the City. Whether it would have been an improvement or we would have lost some of the historic soul, is another thing and probably open to debate.

Love reading stuff about local history going back to the pre-war era and the 60's/70's probably saw more change than any other.

gtom

Banned

16 Jul 2013, 2:00 pm #17
(16 Jul 2013, 1:21 pm)AdamY Personally, I like T. Dan Smith. Corruption aside, I think that he genuinely wanted to make Newcastle into a better place for people to live, study and work.

You didn't work with Keith Shaw on that did you? He's a mine of information on that subject
gtom
16 Jul 2013, 2:00 pm #17

(16 Jul 2013, 1:21 pm)AdamY Personally, I like T. Dan Smith. Corruption aside, I think that he genuinely wanted to make Newcastle into a better place for people to live, study and work.

You didn't work with Keith Shaw on that did you? He's a mine of information on that subject

MurdnunoC

16 Jul 2013, 2:35 pm #18
(16 Jul 2013, 2:00 pm)gtomlinson

No, unfortunately not. I was doing an HEFC at the time so I wasn't really aware of his work. To do the project, the main sources I used were Amber Films' A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Utopia; Smith's own 1971 autobiography; Fitzgerald and Taylor's Web of Corruption, and a whole host of material located in the Local History Section of Newcastle Central Library (which was temporarily relocated at the Civic Centre as the library was undergoing refurbishment at the time).

When I went to Northumbria in 2008, I learned about the work of Shaw and others. Every year or so, there is a seminar on Smith. It is usually hosted by Keith Shaw, or his (then) phD student, John Griffiths, both of whom are experts on the man. I have also been to lecture hosted by Chris Forte-Wood (a contemporary of Smith and author of the book T. Dan Smith - Voice of the North) held at the Lit and Phil.
Edited 16 Jul 2013, 2:43 pm by MurdnunoC.
MurdnunoC
16 Jul 2013, 2:35 pm #18

(16 Jul 2013, 2:00 pm)gtomlinson

No, unfortunately not. I was doing an HEFC at the time so I wasn't really aware of his work. To do the project, the main sources I used were Amber Films' A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Utopia; Smith's own 1971 autobiography; Fitzgerald and Taylor's Web of Corruption, and a whole host of material located in the Local History Section of Newcastle Central Library (which was temporarily relocated at the Civic Centre as the library was undergoing refurbishment at the time).

When I went to Northumbria in 2008, I learned about the work of Shaw and others. Every year or so, there is a seminar on Smith. It is usually hosted by Keith Shaw, or his (then) phD student, John Griffiths, both of whom are experts on the man. I have also been to lecture hosted by Chris Forte-Wood (a contemporary of Smith and author of the book T. Dan Smith - Voice of the North) held at the Lit and Phil.

Adrian

16 Jul 2013, 6:39 pm #19
One thing that could perhaps be looked at on the A183 is to create bus lanes in both directions on the broadway. See here. The roundabout in the middle for Springwell and Holborn road is an absolute nightmare on a morning and evening, and at least it would give buses some priority rather than being stuck in traffic tailing right back towards the hospital.

Adrian
16 Jul 2013, 6:39 pm #19

One thing that could perhaps be looked at on the A183 is to create bus lanes in both directions on the broadway. See here. The roundabout in the middle for Springwell and Holborn road is an absolute nightmare on a morning and evening, and at least it would give buses some priority rather than being stuck in traffic tailing right back towards the hospital.

cbma06

17 Jul 2013, 7:41 am #20
Attached: the proposed changes on A183, but eventually got shelved.
Attached Files

cbma06
17 Jul 2013, 7:41 am #20

Attached: the proposed changes on A183, but eventually got shelved.

Attached Files

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average