Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Bus Infrastructure Suggestions

Bus Infrastructure Suggestions

Bus Infrastructure Suggestions

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3) Previous 1 2 3 Next
Andreos1

17 Jul 2013, 8:01 am #21
Durham Road in the Thorney Close area, still has the old section deadicated to the trams by the side of the road.
Wonder why it wasn't utilised when the bus lanes were added?
Andreos1
17 Jul 2013, 8:01 am #21

Durham Road in the Thorney Close area, still has the old section deadicated to the trams by the side of the road.

cbma06

17 Jul 2013, 8:06 am #22
(17 Jul 2013, 8:01 am)Andreos1 Durham Road in the Thorney Close area, still has the old section deadicated to the trams by the side of the road.

Don't know what the side road area was used for, but the trams used the section between east and west bound traffic where the grass area is in the middle of the road:

From Sunderland public libraries:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33844814@N0...wiY-e9xvWo

cbma06
17 Jul 2013, 8:06 am #22

(17 Jul 2013, 8:01 am)Andreos1 Durham Road in the Thorney Close area, still has the old section deadicated to the trams by the side of the road.

Don't know what the side road area was used for, but the trams used the section between east and west bound traffic where the grass area is in the middle of the road:

From Sunderland public libraries:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33844814@N0...wiY-e9xvWo

Andreos1

17 Jul 2013, 8:11 am #23
Yeah, that's the section I mean, by the side of the road.
Apparently they used the central reservation for a certain section and the section on the side too.
Andreos1
17 Jul 2013, 8:11 am #23

Yeah, that's the section I mean, by the side of the road.
Apparently they used the central reservation for a certain section and the section on the side too.

MurdnunoC

17 Jul 2013, 9:38 am #24
(17 Jul 2013, 7:41 am)cbma06 Attached: the proposed changes on A183, but eventually got shelved.

So what were the reason for binning it?

Money (I expect)?
MurdnunoC
17 Jul 2013, 9:38 am #24

(17 Jul 2013, 7:41 am)cbma06 Attached: the proposed changes on A183, but eventually got shelved.

Money (I expect)?

cbma06

17 Jul 2013, 11:55 am #25
(17 Jul 2013, 9:38 am)AdamY

Money (I expect)?

I think the proposals was just before the last election under labour, until conservatives got into government and told the council to cut back on plans, under labour a lot of plans were given the green light, but when conservatives got in there abolished a lot of funding for small and big projects

cbma06
17 Jul 2013, 11:55 am #25

Money (I expect)?

I think the proposals was just before the last election under labour, until conservatives got into government and told the council to cut back on plans, under labour a lot of plans were given the green light, but when conservatives got in there abolished a lot of funding for small and big projects

Adrian

17 Jul 2013, 1:59 pm #26
(17 Jul 2013, 11:55 am)cbma06

Money (I expect)?

12m does seem rather expensive for a project of that size.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
17 Jul 2013, 1:59 pm #26

Money (I expect)?

cbma06

17 Jul 2013, 2:31 pm #27
(17 Jul 2013, 1:59 pm)aureolin

Money (I expect)?

I think it was an alternative to the proposed Sunderland congestion charge that the council thinking of bringing in before 2021, as there wanted public transport more accessed and quicker route to the city centre as Chester Road is like a bottle neck and getting worse year after year.

cbma06
17 Jul 2013, 2:31 pm #27

(17 Jul 2013, 1:59 pm)aureolin

Money (I expect)?

I think it was an alternative to the proposed Sunderland congestion charge that the council thinking of bringing in before 2021, as there wanted public transport more accessed and quicker route to the city centre as Chester Road is like a bottle neck and getting worse year after year.

Malarkey

08 Dec 2013, 9:45 pm #28
(17 Jul 2013, 2:31 pm)cbma06 I think it was an alternative to the proposed Sunderland congestion charge that the council thinking of bringing in before 2021, as there wanted public transport more accessed and quicker route to the city centre as Chester Road is like a bottle neck and getting worse year after year.

They should of went through with it, I sat on the 2C for 20 Minutes stuck in Traffic coming out of Sunderland on Friday Evening at around 15:45pm coming down to that Roundabout. Due those 3 Lollipop People taking an age in getting school kids across the Road. I would recommend putting in a Zebra Crossing at the Bottom of that Roundabout and also widening the Road from the Top of the Bank where Bus Stop is and insert a Bus Lane.
Malarkey
08 Dec 2013, 9:45 pm #28

(17 Jul 2013, 2:31 pm)cbma06 I think it was an alternative to the proposed Sunderland congestion charge that the council thinking of bringing in before 2021, as there wanted public transport more accessed and quicker route to the city centre as Chester Road is like a bottle neck and getting worse year after year.

They should of went through with it, I sat on the 2C for 20 Minutes stuck in Traffic coming out of Sunderland on Friday Evening at around 15:45pm coming down to that Roundabout. Due those 3 Lollipop People taking an age in getting school kids across the Road. I would recommend putting in a Zebra Crossing at the Bottom of that Roundabout and also widening the Road from the Top of the Bank where Bus Stop is and insert a Bus Lane.

Malarkey

11 Dec 2013, 8:36 pm #29
Whilst I was in Newcastle Last Friday Morning, I decided to sit down on one of the Benches on the Green next to the Eldon Square before going into one of the offices on the Green for an Interview. And thought to myself about having a New Bus Station to Replace the Dreadfully Designed Current Eldon Square Bus Station.

So here is my Idea

[attachment=5059] - For Attachment looks at the Bus Station Designs Thread

Basically what happen is Office Block which is Joint to Greggs and the Newsagents on the Green would be Demolished, Then the bit across the road from the Green where Poundland is situated would also be Demolished upto where Walkway for Sports Direct is, to make the Area Bigger.

As a Result the Entrance just Inside Eldon Square for Monument Metro would be sealed off, Meaning Metro Passengers would have to use the Entrances Next to Fenicks and Waterstones opposite the Monument, These Entrances are Marked in Blue on the Map.

Also the Following Businesses from I can remember off top of my head would have to Relocate, The Current Eldon Square Bus Station could be a Possibillity for an Area for those Shops to move to which include:

Pizza Hut Express
American Candy Shop
New Look
Vision Express
Poundland
Gadget Store
Greggs
Newsagents
Shake a Holic

As for the Office Block situated on the Green I thought they could be situated on top of the Shops if they were to move into the Current Bus Station, Much like the Student Accomodation Flats, which are Built on top of the new Tesco in Gateshead.

The New Bus Station would Accommodate the Services which already Serve Eldon Square and Stagecoach Services which Serve The Green along with Megabus Services if there is Room.
Edited 11 Dec 2013, 8:38 pm by Malarkey.
Malarkey
11 Dec 2013, 8:36 pm #29

Whilst I was in Newcastle Last Friday Morning, I decided to sit down on one of the Benches on the Green next to the Eldon Square before going into one of the offices on the Green for an Interview. And thought to myself about having a New Bus Station to Replace the Dreadfully Designed Current Eldon Square Bus Station.

So here is my Idea

[attachment=5059] - For Attachment looks at the Bus Station Designs Thread

Basically what happen is Office Block which is Joint to Greggs and the Newsagents on the Green would be Demolished, Then the bit across the road from the Green where Poundland is situated would also be Demolished upto where Walkway for Sports Direct is, to make the Area Bigger.

As a Result the Entrance just Inside Eldon Square for Monument Metro would be sealed off, Meaning Metro Passengers would have to use the Entrances Next to Fenicks and Waterstones opposite the Monument, These Entrances are Marked in Blue on the Map.

Also the Following Businesses from I can remember off top of my head would have to Relocate, The Current Eldon Square Bus Station could be a Possibillity for an Area for those Shops to move to which include:

Pizza Hut Express
American Candy Shop
New Look
Vision Express
Poundland
Gadget Store
Greggs
Newsagents
Shake a Holic

As for the Office Block situated on the Green I thought they could be situated on top of the Shops if they were to move into the Current Bus Station, Much like the Student Accomodation Flats, which are Built on top of the new Tesco in Gateshead.

The New Bus Station would Accommodate the Services which already Serve Eldon Square and Stagecoach Services which Serve The Green along with Megabus Services if there is Room.

Adrian

11 Dec 2013, 9:15 pm #30
(11 Dec 2013, 8:36 pm)Adam Malarkey Whilst I was in Newcastle Last Friday Morning, I decided to sit down on one of the Benches on the Green next to the Eldon Square before going into one of the offices on the Green for an Interview. And thought to myself about having a New Bus Station to Replace the Dreadfully Designed Current Eldon Square Bus Station.

So here is my Idea

- For Attachment looks at the Bus Station Designs Thread

Pizza Hut Express
American Candy Shop
New Look
Vision Express
Poundland
Gadget Store
Greggs
Newsagents
Shake a Holic

The problem being you can't go around demolishing listed buildings. That tends to upset people.

Adrian
11 Dec 2013, 9:15 pm #30

(11 Dec 2013, 8:36 pm)Adam Malarkey Whilst I was in Newcastle Last Friday Morning, I decided to sit down on one of the Benches on the Green next to the Eldon Square before going into one of the offices on the Green for an Interview. And thought to myself about having a New Bus Station to Replace the Dreadfully Designed Current Eldon Square Bus Station.

So here is my Idea

- For Attachment looks at the Bus Station Designs Thread

Pizza Hut Express
American Candy Shop
New Look
Vision Express
Poundland
Gadget Store
Greggs
Newsagents
Shake a Holic

The problem being you can't go around demolishing listed buildings. That tends to upset people.

Malarkey

11 Dec 2013, 9:21 pm #31
(11 Dec 2013, 9:15 pm)aureolin The problem being you can't go around demolishing listed buildings. That tends to upset people.

That is true, but who actually goes into that Section of Eldon Square anyways, I don't as there isn't anything there bar from the Candy Shop if I want some Candy otherwise i'll into the Grainger Market. Surely offering an location to Relocate to would Sweeten things.
Malarkey
11 Dec 2013, 9:21 pm #31

(11 Dec 2013, 9:15 pm)aureolin The problem being you can't go around demolishing listed buildings. That tends to upset people.

That is true, but who actually goes into that Section of Eldon Square anyways, I don't as there isn't anything there bar from the Candy Shop if I want some Candy otherwise i'll into the Grainger Market. Surely offering an location to Relocate to would Sweeten things.

Adrian

11 Dec 2013, 9:25 pm #32
(11 Dec 2013, 9:21 pm)Adam Malarkey That is true, but who actually goes into that Section of Eldon Square anyways, I don't as there isn't anything there bar from the Candy Shop if I want some Candy otherwise i'll into the Grainger Market. Surely offering an location to Relocate to would Sweeten things.

Yes, but that's your preference. It's obviously a viable business generating profit, otherwise it wouldn't be able to afford Intu's retail rent. Regardless of preference or viability of retail businesses, you still can't demolish listed buildings - whether 100 people use it or 0 do. It's preserved.

Adrian
11 Dec 2013, 9:25 pm #32

(11 Dec 2013, 9:21 pm)Adam Malarkey That is true, but who actually goes into that Section of Eldon Square anyways, I don't as there isn't anything there bar from the Candy Shop if I want some Candy otherwise i'll into the Grainger Market. Surely offering an location to Relocate to would Sweeten things.

Yes, but that's your preference. It's obviously a viable business generating profit, otherwise it wouldn't be able to afford Intu's retail rent. Regardless of preference or viability of retail businesses, you still can't demolish listed buildings - whether 100 people use it or 0 do. It's preserved.

Andreos1

11 Dec 2013, 9:34 pm #33
(11 Dec 2013, 9:25 pm)aureolin Yes, but that's your preference. It's obviously a viable business generating profit, otherwise it wouldn't be able to afford Intu's retail rent. Regardless of preference or viability of retail businesses, you still can't demolish listed buildings - whether 100 people use it or 0 do. It's preserved.

Never mind that, that link you put up has been interesting.
Didn't realise that the town walls went down Blackett Street or there were long lost towers along the road too!

Loving a bit historical research about long lost buildings that if kept in a state of repair, would have meant Newcastle could have been on par with York.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
11 Dec 2013, 9:34 pm #33

(11 Dec 2013, 9:25 pm)aureolin Yes, but that's your preference. It's obviously a viable business generating profit, otherwise it wouldn't be able to afford Intu's retail rent. Regardless of preference or viability of retail businesses, you still can't demolish listed buildings - whether 100 people use it or 0 do. It's preserved.

Never mind that, that link you put up has been interesting.
Didn't realise that the town walls went down Blackett Street or there were long lost towers along the road too!

Loving a bit historical research about long lost buildings that if kept in a state of repair, would have meant Newcastle could have been on par with York.

markydh

11 Dec 2013, 11:16 pm #34
That entire section of the shopping centre is to be completely refurbished starting next June and will reopen in summer 2015 as a restaurant and cafe mall which will stay open until late evening. All businesses which currently operate from both floors will close and have to relocate (which, incidentally does not include New Look who have been in the newest part of the centre next to Debenhams for 3 years now!). As already suggested, you can't knock down the listed building on the right hand side of Eldon Square (which is not and had never been classed as an 'office block'!!). In other words, you entire plan is, to be polite, unworkable. There is very little wrong with Eldon Square Bus Station and what is wrong could be solved by removing the spiral carpark and relocating that to elsewhere in the city. There are plans to build a new bus station with two possible locations. One just off Market Street East where the sexual health centre currently is and the other just off Durant Road where Mea House currently stands. This will be in addition to Haymarket and Eldon Square with the plan being that all southbound services that currently terminate at Eldon Square or the city centre streets will use the new bus station.
markydh
11 Dec 2013, 11:16 pm #34

That entire section of the shopping centre is to be completely refurbished starting next June and will reopen in summer 2015 as a restaurant and cafe mall which will stay open until late evening. All businesses which currently operate from both floors will close and have to relocate (which, incidentally does not include New Look who have been in the newest part of the centre next to Debenhams for 3 years now!). As already suggested, you can't knock down the listed building on the right hand side of Eldon Square (which is not and had never been classed as an 'office block'!!). In other words, you entire plan is, to be polite, unworkable. There is very little wrong with Eldon Square Bus Station and what is wrong could be solved by removing the spiral carpark and relocating that to elsewhere in the city. There are plans to build a new bus station with two possible locations. One just off Market Street East where the sexual health centre currently is and the other just off Durant Road where Mea House currently stands. This will be in addition to Haymarket and Eldon Square with the plan being that all southbound services that currently terminate at Eldon Square or the city centre streets will use the new bus station.

nk55

12 Dec 2013, 10:15 pm #35
Eldon square bus station is a nightmare, if u r lucky to get through the 1st set of lights you'll never get through the next to turn into the bus station, only 2 buses will fit inbetween these lights, in the bus station itself if there is a bus on the drop off stand, the next stand up you cant get off until that stand is vacated or scrape the front of your bus, there isn't enough room considering 3 bus stations have been condensed into 1, worswick street, marlborough crescent and the old eldon square, typical nexus, not fit for purpose.
nk55
12 Dec 2013, 10:15 pm #35

Eldon square bus station is a nightmare, if u r lucky to get through the 1st set of lights you'll never get through the next to turn into the bus station, only 2 buses will fit inbetween these lights, in the bus station itself if there is a bus on the drop off stand, the next stand up you cant get off until that stand is vacated or scrape the front of your bus, there isn't enough room considering 3 bus stations have been condensed into 1, worswick street, marlborough crescent and the old eldon square, typical nexus, not fit for purpose.

Andreos1

13 Dec 2013, 10:33 am #36
(12 Dec 2013, 10:15 pm)nk55 Eldon square bus station is a nightmare, if u r lucky to get through the 1st set of lights you'll never get through the next to turn into the bus station, only 2 buses will fit inbetween these lights, in the bus station itself if there is a bus on the drop off stand, the next stand up you cant get off until that stand is vacated or scrape the front of your bus, there isn't enough room considering 3 bus stations have been condensed into 1, worswick street, marlborough crescent and the old eldon square, typical nexus, not fit for purpose.

What has the design got to do with Nexus?
They only manage a facility owned by the council and intu (previously Capital).
The likes of Marlbrough Crescent and Worswick St, were owned by the operators who made the commercial decision to run into Eldon Square (or have services run through the town like the 27, 53 etc do currently).

www.cda-group.co.uk/projects/transportation/eldon-square-bus-station/ are the people who designed it and Newcastle City Council are the ones who approved it (as well as the road/traffic system around it).

Andreos1
13 Dec 2013, 10:33 am #36

(12 Dec 2013, 10:15 pm)nk55 Eldon square bus station is a nightmare, if u r lucky to get through the 1st set of lights you'll never get through the next to turn into the bus station, only 2 buses will fit inbetween these lights, in the bus station itself if there is a bus on the drop off stand, the next stand up you cant get off until that stand is vacated or scrape the front of your bus, there isn't enough room considering 3 bus stations have been condensed into 1, worswick street, marlborough crescent and the old eldon square, typical nexus, not fit for purpose.

What has the design got to do with Nexus?
The likes of Marlbrough Crescent and Worswick St, were owned by the operators who made the commercial decision to run into Eldon Square (or have services run through the town like the 27, 53 etc do currently).

www.cda-group.co.uk/projects/transportation/eldon-square-bus-station/ are the people who designed it and Newcastle City Council are the ones who approved it (as well as the road/traffic system around it).

Adrian

13 Dec 2013, 11:13 am #37
(13 Dec 2013, 10:33 am)andreos1 What has the design got to do with Nexus?

Same with the Galleries bus station. Crap design, but you can't blame GNE - they only manage it.

Adrian
13 Dec 2013, 11:13 am #37

(13 Dec 2013, 10:33 am)andreos1 What has the design got to do with Nexus?

Same with the Galleries bus station. Crap design, but you can't blame GNE - they only manage it.

Andreos1

14 Dec 2013, 10:00 pm #38
(13 Dec 2013, 11:13 am)aureolin Same with the Galleries bus station. Crap design, but you can't blame GNE - they only manage it.
Exactly!

Stood waiting for an x1/4 home this morning, I was freezing as the wind blew down the stairs in front of the (hidden) travelshop.
Then when an x1 and 4 came in together, a w5 couldn't get out.
Someone trying to cross the road at the bus station, to get to the car parks had to take her life in her own hands and nearly had her head taken off by a passing bus, as she peeked to see if it was clear to cross.

Struggled to get off the x1 earlier in the morning due to the escalators being plonked by the stand and crowds of people.

Each and every one of those problems were down to the design of the place, not the manager.
Just like the issues at Haymarket, Eldon Square, Durham Bus Stations etc
Edited 14 Dec 2013, 10:01 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
14 Dec 2013, 10:00 pm #38

(13 Dec 2013, 11:13 am)aureolin Same with the Galleries bus station. Crap design, but you can't blame GNE - they only manage it.
Exactly!

Stood waiting for an x1/4 home this morning, I was freezing as the wind blew down the stairs in front of the (hidden) travelshop.
Someone trying to cross the road at the bus station, to get to the car parks had to take her life in her own hands and nearly had her head taken off by a passing bus, as she peeked to see if it was clear to cross.

Struggled to get off the x1 earlier in the morning due to the escalators being plonked by the stand and crowds of people.

Each and every one of those problems were down to the design of the place, not the manager.

Adrian

15 Dec 2013, 12:54 am #39
(14 Dec 2013, 10:00 pm)andreos1 Exactly!

Where the 4/X1 stop at either side, it baffles me why they don't have a second door half way down - similar to the X66 stand at Gateshead. It just ends in chaos, especially when drivers choose to do a change-over on stand.

Adrian
15 Dec 2013, 12:54 am #39

(14 Dec 2013, 10:00 pm)andreos1 Exactly!

Where the 4/X1 stop at either side, it baffles me why they don't have a second door half way down - similar to the X66 stand at Gateshead. It just ends in chaos, especially when drivers choose to do a change-over on stand.

Malarkey

17 Dec 2013, 1:03 am #40
I think they should put the 4/X1 on the Idividual Stands where M2/M3/W5 and W6 stop, and then put in a Second Door on the Middle of the Double Stand and put the M2 etc on that Stand
Malarkey
17 Dec 2013, 1:03 am #40

I think they should put the 4/X1 on the Idividual Stands where M2/M3/W5 and W6 stop, and then put in a Second Door on the Middle of the Double Stand and put the M2 etc on that Stand

Pages (3) Previous 1 2 3 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average