Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Bus Infrastructure Suggestions

Bus Infrastructure Suggestions

Bus Infrastructure Suggestions

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3) Previous 1 2 3
Jimmi

09 Jan 2015, 3:13 pm #41
Some people in Newton Aycliffe now want a Bus Station Huh
http://www.newtonnews.co.uk/why-does-ayc...s-station/

This seems like the most pointless thing I've ever heard, Newton Aycliffe may be a big town with a large population but we don't have enough bus services to justify a Bus Station, the reason why places like Consett, Peterlee and Stanley have bus stations but we don't is because they have much more services than we do and many run to many different places like Newcastle and Sunderland where all Newton Aycliffe services (apart from the town service and work bus services) run to Darlington and its not like they are even that closely timed either as most services are about 7/8 minutes apart so we wouldn't need multiple stands either you would only really need 2 stands which would be one for Darlington and one for everywhere else.

What I will say is I think the Stephenson Way stand for service 5/5A and service 7 should be made a bit longer as the 5/5A and 7 are only 3 minutes apart and the 5/5A are often running a few minutes late so you often end with one on the stop at an angle with the back sticking out in the road which can be dangerous especially as there is a traffic island just before the stand. Also I think services 8 and 21 to Spennymoor / Peterlee bound journeys should serve the Stephenson Way stop along with the 5/5A and 7 then run round the back of the leisure centre (Greenwell Road) to reach Tesco which would mean it would the same route in both directions as these journeys currently stop opposite St. Clare's Church and I think this puts some people off (myself included) from using the 8/21 from Darlington as it is further to walk.

Another persons views
http://www.newtonnews.co.uk/bus-station-...-priority/
Jimmi
09 Jan 2015, 3:13 pm #41

Some people in Newton Aycliffe now want a Bus Station Huh
http://www.newtonnews.co.uk/why-does-ayc...s-station/

This seems like the most pointless thing I've ever heard, Newton Aycliffe may be a big town with a large population but we don't have enough bus services to justify a Bus Station, the reason why places like Consett, Peterlee and Stanley have bus stations but we don't is because they have much more services than we do and many run to many different places like Newcastle and Sunderland where all Newton Aycliffe services (apart from the town service and work bus services) run to Darlington and its not like they are even that closely timed either as most services are about 7/8 minutes apart so we wouldn't need multiple stands either you would only really need 2 stands which would be one for Darlington and one for everywhere else.

What I will say is I think the Stephenson Way stand for service 5/5A and service 7 should be made a bit longer as the 5/5A and 7 are only 3 minutes apart and the 5/5A are often running a few minutes late so you often end with one on the stop at an angle with the back sticking out in the road which can be dangerous especially as there is a traffic island just before the stand. Also I think services 8 and 21 to Spennymoor / Peterlee bound journeys should serve the Stephenson Way stop along with the 5/5A and 7 then run round the back of the leisure centre (Greenwell Road) to reach Tesco which would mean it would the same route in both directions as these journeys currently stop opposite St. Clare's Church and I think this puts some people off (myself included) from using the 8/21 from Darlington as it is further to walk.

Another persons views
http://www.newtonnews.co.uk/bus-station-...-priority/

gtom

Banned

09 Jan 2015, 9:16 pm #42
I think people forget that the High Level was and is at the end of life. It was virtual collapsing and a repair wasn't feasible or possible.

Opportunities weren't missed, they didn't exist
gtom
09 Jan 2015, 9:16 pm #42

I think people forget that the High Level was and is at the end of life. It was virtual collapsing and a repair wasn't feasible or possible.

Opportunities weren't missed, they didn't exist

Malarkey

25 May 2015, 7:34 pm #43
A third "Tyne Tunnel" linking South Shields directly to Tynemouth, Reducing the need to make an 8 Mile 25 Minute Journey, would also open New and Improved Transport Links.
Malarkey
25 May 2015, 7:34 pm #43

A third "Tyne Tunnel" linking South Shields directly to Tynemouth, Reducing the need to make an 8 Mile 25 Minute Journey, would also open New and Improved Transport Links.

L469 YVK

25 May 2015, 7:48 pm #44
- 1 way bus way (used according to the Peak Flow), built adjacent to Cobalt Park way between P&G and Atmel. Buses would use stops on Cobalt Park way at other times.

- 1 way bus way built on Bridlepath near Silverlink right through Middle Engine Lane and the back of Bewick Park to Addington Drive for use at peak times according to the flow of traffic.

- Roundabout at top of The Silverlink North / A191 replaced with traffic lights with:

- 2 lanes from Silverlink North to either A191 / Holystone or A191 towards Whitley Bay.
- A191 eastbound with three lanes with one towards Whitley Bay and other 2 towards Cobalt Park.
- A191 westbound with three lanes with 2 towards Cobalt and 1 towards Holystone / A19.

- Roundabout at Cobalt Park P&G / Cobalt Central replaced with traffic lights.
L469 YVK
25 May 2015, 7:48 pm #44

- 1 way bus way (used according to the Peak Flow), built adjacent to Cobalt Park way between P&G and Atmel. Buses would use stops on Cobalt Park way at other times.

- 1 way bus way built on Bridlepath near Silverlink right through Middle Engine Lane and the back of Bewick Park to Addington Drive for use at peak times according to the flow of traffic.

- Roundabout at top of The Silverlink North / A191 replaced with traffic lights with:

- 2 lanes from Silverlink North to either A191 / Holystone or A191 towards Whitley Bay.
- A191 eastbound with three lanes with one towards Whitley Bay and other 2 towards Cobalt Park.
- A191 westbound with three lanes with 2 towards Cobalt and 1 towards Holystone / A19.

- Roundabout at Cobalt Park P&G / Cobalt Central replaced with traffic lights.

Andreos1

26 May 2015, 1:18 pm #45
(25 May 2015, 7:34 pm)Malarkey A third "Tyne Tunnel" linking South Shields directly to Tynemouth, Reducing the need to make an 8 Mile 25 Minute Journey, would also open New and Improved Transport Links.

The integrated system of bus, metro and ferry was designed to do that - without the expense of digging a tunnel.
It all fell apart in 86 though.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
26 May 2015, 1:18 pm #45

(25 May 2015, 7:34 pm)Malarkey A third "Tyne Tunnel" linking South Shields directly to Tynemouth, Reducing the need to make an 8 Mile 25 Minute Journey, would also open New and Improved Transport Links.

The integrated system of bus, metro and ferry was designed to do that - without the expense of digging a tunnel.
It all fell apart in 86 though.

MurdnunoC

26 May 2015, 1:58 pm #46

I don't think a South Shields-North Shields/Tynemouth tunnel or bridge is necessarily needed however I do think further crossings are required to alleviate congestion. If it were up to me I'd build two: one between Bill Quay/Hebburn and Walker; and the second between Elswick/Paradise and Metrocentre.  
MurdnunoC
26 May 2015, 1:58 pm #46

I don't think a South Shields-North Shields/Tynemouth tunnel or bridge is necessarily needed however I do think further crossings are required to alleviate congestion. If it were up to me I'd build two: one between Bill Quay/Hebburn and Walker; and the second between Elswick/Paradise and Metrocentre.  

Adrian

26 May 2015, 2:06 pm #47
(26 May 2015, 1:58 pm)MurdnunoC I don't think a South Shields-North Shields/Tynemouth tunnel or bridge is necessarily needed however I do think further crossings are required to alleviate congestion. If it were up to me I'd build two: one between Bill Quay/Hebburn and Walker; and the second between Elswick/Paradise and Metrocentre.  
It'd be interesting to see how feasible a light railway crossing between North Shields and South Shields Metro stations would be.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
26 May 2015, 2:06 pm #47

(26 May 2015, 1:58 pm)MurdnunoC I don't think a South Shields-North Shields/Tynemouth tunnel or bridge is necessarily needed however I do think further crossings are required to alleviate congestion. If it were up to me I'd build two: one between Bill Quay/Hebburn and Walker; and the second between Elswick/Paradise and Metrocentre.  
It'd be interesting to see how feasible a light railway crossing between North Shields and South Shields Metro stations would be.

Andreos1

26 May 2015, 2:08 pm #48

Or, how about little ferries, which would accept cars?
Works well in the Netherlands and to an extent the same across the Clyde from Gourock to Dunoon.

Granted, the flow wouldn't be as significant as a bridge, but could work and be significantly cheaper.

The old passenger only ferries on the Tyne, all vanished (apart from the Shields one), but one that accepted cars hasn't been tried as far as I am aware.

Andreos1
26 May 2015, 2:08 pm #48

Or, how about little ferries, which would accept cars?
Works well in the Netherlands and to an extent the same across the Clyde from Gourock to Dunoon.

Granted, the flow wouldn't be as significant as a bridge, but could work and be significantly cheaper.

The old passenger only ferries on the Tyne, all vanished (apart from the Shields one), but one that accepted cars hasn't been tried as far as I am aware.

cbma06

26 May 2015, 2:19 pm #49
(26 May 2015, 2:08 pm)Andreos1 Or, how about little ferries, which would accept cars?

Im positive that the shields ferry used to have cars aswell, but im talking about 50 years ago or so. the mid tyne ferries went out due to the shipping industry went down the pan when joining the EU. at most of them time it was for the ship workers etc...

Its the same as the wear ferry which was used for the dock workers traveling from the north to the south and vice versa.
Edited 26 May 2015, 2:21 pm by cbma06.

cbma06
26 May 2015, 2:19 pm #49

(26 May 2015, 2:08 pm)Andreos1 Or, how about little ferries, which would accept cars?

Im positive that the shields ferry used to have cars aswell, but im talking about 50 years ago or so. the mid tyne ferries went out due to the shipping industry went down the pan when joining the EU. at most of them time it was for the ship workers etc...

Its the same as the wear ferry which was used for the dock workers traveling from the north to the south and vice versa.

MurdnunoC

26 May 2015, 2:24 pm #50

I believe that would work in place of the Shields ferry, and perhaps between Hebburn and Walker - the return of the old mid-Tyne ferry - but I can't see it working between Paradise and Metrocentre. A bridge between the latter two points has been in the pipeline for quite some time with various organisations being interested in its development. However, much like the Leamside Line, nobody is willing to provide the initial funding to kickstart the project. Someday it may come to fruition but I won't hold my breath. 

It is briefly discussed here: 
http://www.bridgesonthetyne.co.uk/others.html

I beleive there are other documents available online which also discuss this the project. There may also be other documentation at either Gateshead or Newcastle library - I can't remember which.
MurdnunoC
26 May 2015, 2:24 pm #50

I believe that would work in place of the Shields ferry, and perhaps between Hebburn and Walker - the return of the old mid-Tyne ferry - but I can't see it working between Paradise and Metrocentre. A bridge between the latter two points has been in the pipeline for quite some time with various organisations being interested in its development. However, much like the Leamside Line, nobody is willing to provide the initial funding to kickstart the project. Someday it may come to fruition but I won't hold my breath. 

I beleive there are other documents available online which also discuss this the project. There may also be other documentation at either Gateshead or Newcastle library - I can't remember which.

MurdnunoC

26 May 2015, 2:35 pm #51
(26 May 2015, 2:19 pm)cbma06 Im positive that the shields ferry used to have cars aswell, but im talking about 50 years ago or so. the mid tyne ferries went out due to the shipping industry went down the pan when joining the EU. at most of them time it was for the ship workers etc...

You're right. The Shields Ferry used to carry vehicles. This ceased sometime between 1967 and 1972 once the Tyne Tunnel had been opened and when the existing vehicular ferries were withdrawn from service - eventually replaced by the Freda Cunningham.

http://www.bridgesonthetyne.co.uk/hshields.html
Edited 26 May 2015, 2:35 pm by MurdnunoC.
MurdnunoC
26 May 2015, 2:35 pm #51

(26 May 2015, 2:19 pm)cbma06 Im positive that the shields ferry used to have cars aswell, but im talking about 50 years ago or so. the mid tyne ferries went out due to the shipping industry went down the pan when joining the EU. at most of them time it was for the ship workers etc...

You're right. The Shields Ferry used to carry vehicles. This ceased sometime between 1967 and 1972 once the Tyne Tunnel had been opened and when the existing vehicular ferries were withdrawn from service - eventually replaced by the Freda Cunningham.

http://www.bridgesonthetyne.co.uk/hshields.html

Andreos1

26 May 2015, 2:50 pm #52

Never knew that about the Shields Ferry.
Suppose it would have made sense it being their prior to the tunnel being built.

Aye, once the industry went, then there was no point having ferries scuttling about between derelict sites.

There is sight of one ferry in Get Carter.

(26 May 2015, 2:24 pm)MurdnunoC I believe that would work in place of the Shields ferry, and perhaps between Hebburn and Walker - the return of the old mid-Tyne ferry - but I can't see it working between Paradise and Metrocentre A bridge between the latter two points has been in the pipeline for quite some time with various organisations being interested in its development. However, much like the Leamside Line, nobody is willing to provide the initial funding to kickstart the project. Someday it may come to fruition but I won't hold my breath. 

Did there used to be a ferry that far down way back prior to the Scotswood Bridge?

A Clipper style service, like the one in London could work at various points along the river, although with the location of the Metrocentre and its distance from river, I imagine that may problematic in attracting foot passengers.

Andreos1
26 May 2015, 2:50 pm #52

Never knew that about the Shields Ferry.
Suppose it would have made sense it being their prior to the tunnel being built.

Aye, once the industry went, then there was no point having ferries scuttling about between derelict sites.

(26 May 2015, 2:24 pm)MurdnunoC I believe that would work in place of the Shields ferry, and perhaps between Hebburn and Walker - the return of the old mid-Tyne ferry - but I can't see it working between Paradise and Metrocentre A bridge between the latter two points has been in the pipeline for quite some time with various organisations being interested in its development. However, much like the Leamside Line, nobody is willing to provide the initial funding to kickstart the project. Someday it may come to fruition but I won't hold my breath. 

Did there used to be a ferry that far down way back prior to the Scotswood Bridge?

A Clipper style service, like the one in London could work at various points along the river, although with the location of the Metrocentre and its distance from river, I imagine that may problematic in attracting foot passengers.

MurdnunoC

26 May 2015, 3:29 pm #53
(26 May 2015, 2:50 pm)Andreos1 Never knew that about the Shields Ferry.

There used to be one between Ryton and Blayney Row (Lemington). I have an old A-Z somewhere from the 1980s which still suggests its existence even though it had ceased sometime in the 60s. If I can dig it out (or find it even), I'll post a scan.

There also used to be one at Blaydon. The land where Newburn Riverside is located used to be an island (and was where the Blaydon Races were originally held). The emergence heavy industry in the late nineteenth and early twentieth necessitated the need for the river to be diverted to run its current course.
Edited 26 May 2015, 3:30 pm by MurdnunoC.
MurdnunoC
26 May 2015, 3:29 pm #53

(26 May 2015, 2:50 pm)Andreos1 Never knew that about the Shields Ferry.

There used to be one between Ryton and Blayney Row (Lemington). I have an old A-Z somewhere from the 1980s which still suggests its existence even though it had ceased sometime in the 60s. If I can dig it out (or find it even), I'll post a scan.

There also used to be one at Blaydon. The land where Newburn Riverside is located used to be an island (and was where the Blaydon Races were originally held). The emergence heavy industry in the late nineteenth and early twentieth necessitated the need for the river to be diverted to run its current course.

Malarkey

21 Feb 2016, 1:27 pm #54
Ticket Machines like what you see at T&W Metro Stations across the region, but at Bus Stops/Bus Stations.

So basically you could walk to your local stop knowing your Bus is a few minutes away, Purchase your Ticket from the Machine and show the Driver upon boarding the Bus, this would result in faster Vehicle Loading Times and in turn likely improve Reliability of all Bus Services across the Region.

With regards to Smart Cards, you would still have to scan them on the Machine on the Bus, Single Fares would also only be available from the Driver also.
Edited 21 Feb 2016, 1:32 pm by Malarkey.
Malarkey
21 Feb 2016, 1:27 pm #54

Ticket Machines like what you see at T&W Metro Stations across the region, but at Bus Stops/Bus Stations.

So basically you could walk to your local stop knowing your Bus is a few minutes away, Purchase your Ticket from the Machine and show the Driver upon boarding the Bus, this would result in faster Vehicle Loading Times and in turn likely improve Reliability of all Bus Services across the Region.

With regards to Smart Cards, you would still have to scan them on the Machine on the Bus, Single Fares would also only be available from the Driver also.

Adrian

21 Feb 2016, 2:36 pm #55
(21 Feb 2016, 1:27 pm)Malarkey Ticket Machines like what you see at T&W Metro Stations across the region, but at Bus Stops/Bus Stations.

London had them, but have now withdrawn them all. The way forward would be regionwide smart cards that allow you to have a 'credit', or even acceptance of contactless payment from bank cards/applepay/etc.

Of course having TVMs at bus interchanges and such would be useful, to allow people to top up and purchase tickets.

Adrian
21 Feb 2016, 2:36 pm #55

(21 Feb 2016, 1:27 pm)Malarkey Ticket Machines like what you see at T&W Metro Stations across the region, but at Bus Stops/Bus Stations.

London had them, but have now withdrawn them all. The way forward would be regionwide smart cards that allow you to have a 'credit', or even acceptance of contactless payment from bank cards/applepay/etc.

Of course having TVMs at bus interchanges and such would be useful, to allow people to top up and purchase tickets.

BusLoverMum

21 Feb 2016, 5:21 pm #56

Yeah, they'd not get vandalised.
BusLoverMum
21 Feb 2016, 5:21 pm #56

Yeah, they'd not get vandalised.

Pages (3) Previous 1 2 3

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average