Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Network Ticketing

Network Ticketing

Network Ticketing

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pages (3) Previous 1 2 3 Next
eezypeazy

10 Sep 2013, 4:32 pm #21
(10 Sep 2013, 4:14 pm)aureolin 1034 shares in total valued at £1 per share, giving of course a total share capital of £1,034. It's a strange number, and what I don't understand is that if it's a partnership, why isn't every 'invitee' just sold a single share valued at £1?

Because it's only a mechanism for dividing up revenue from a multi-modal, multi-operator ticketing scheme by market share... nothing more, nothing less...

What's difficult to understand about that?
eezypeazy
10 Sep 2013, 4:32 pm #21

(10 Sep 2013, 4:14 pm)aureolin 1034 shares in total valued at £1 per share, giving of course a total share capital of £1,034. It's a strange number, and what I don't understand is that if it's a partnership, why isn't every 'invitee' just sold a single share valued at £1?

Because it's only a mechanism for dividing up revenue from a multi-modal, multi-operator ticketing scheme by market share... nothing more, nothing less...

Andreos1

10 Sep 2013, 4:56 pm #22
In theory, the operators are agents, selling on Network Ticketings products - receiving a portion of the revenue, the amount based on the proportion of shares they own.

There is no way in those shares will come about free of charge.

There has to be an investment of some sort, into the Network Ticketing organisation.
Andreos1
10 Sep 2013, 4:56 pm #22

In theory, the operators are agents, selling on Network Ticketings products - receiving a portion of the revenue, the amount based on the proportion of shares they own.

There is no way in those shares will come about free of charge.

There has to be an investment of some sort, into the Network Ticketing organisation.

Adrian

10 Sep 2013, 6:10 pm #23
(10 Sep 2013, 4:32 pm)eezypeazy Because it's only a mechanism for dividing up revenue from a multi-modal, multi-operator ticketing scheme by market share... nothing more, nothing less...

If I'm honest I struggle with the lack of transparency of the scheme. There are no public details provided on the website after all. I have managed to get a copy and taken a look at the latest statement of capital that companies house have, and along with the information you've provided (thanks), I have a greater insight of how the scheme works. Although it seems to be a massively fronted scheme for what appears to be simple model.

One thing I'd love to see is the mathematical formula of how the market share is calculated. I now understand that the scheme administrator calculates this, but how can the PTE have 37.33% of the market compared to GNE's 34.04%? Metro + Ferry has been mentioned, but does this really equate to more than the market share GNE has in Tyne and Wear? I'd be surprised if it did. So it makes me ask what else is included? Are Nexus including secured, works, and scholars services that they contract out to the likes of GNE as their own market?

Another thing to consider now that we're becoming dependant on the smart card world, and with NESTI. You can (generally) get from A to B in one trip using the Metro or Ferry. With the way GNE's network comes across as working (correct me if I'm wrong) in a hub and spoke model, you've generally got to travel from A to B via a change at C. It's been asked before, but is this 2 trips as oppose to 1? Would this affect the data used for calculating market share?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
10 Sep 2013, 6:10 pm #23

(10 Sep 2013, 4:32 pm)eezypeazy Because it's only a mechanism for dividing up revenue from a multi-modal, multi-operator ticketing scheme by market share... nothing more, nothing less...

If I'm honest I struggle with the lack of transparency of the scheme. There are no public details provided on the website after all. I have managed to get a copy and taken a look at the latest statement of capital that companies house have, and along with the information you've provided (thanks), I have a greater insight of how the scheme works. Although it seems to be a massively fronted scheme for what appears to be simple model.

One thing I'd love to see is the mathematical formula of how the market share is calculated. I now understand that the scheme administrator calculates this, but how can the PTE have 37.33% of the market compared to GNE's 34.04%? Metro + Ferry has been mentioned, but does this really equate to more than the market share GNE has in Tyne and Wear? I'd be surprised if it did. So it makes me ask what else is included? Are Nexus including secured, works, and scholars services that they contract out to the likes of GNE as their own market?

Another thing to consider now that we're becoming dependant on the smart card world, and with NESTI. You can (generally) get from A to B in one trip using the Metro or Ferry. With the way GNE's network comes across as working (correct me if I'm wrong) in a hub and spoke model, you've generally got to travel from A to B via a change at C. It's been asked before, but is this 2 trips as oppose to 1? Would this affect the data used for calculating market share?

eezypeazy

10 Sep 2013, 6:31 pm #24
There's a number of ways they can divide up the revenue. Here's some I can think of:

- Per boarding: All boardings are recorded, so dividing up the proceeds per boarding would, IMO, be relatively simple. Attempts by individual operators to 'skew' the boardings by forcing changes would be counter-productive, as people don't like changing buses or modes - it's only worth doing to 'aggregate' two half-bus loads together to make a full bus load (and I'd guess that's the theory at places such as Washington). M1 feeds in to Metro because it can't compete journey-speed wise with Metro; but most GNE buses at Gateshead go through to Newcastle, where the interchange time penalty is greater than the time of the extra bus ride.
- Per boarding weighted by average fare: GNE and Arriva run many longer, inter-urban services, whereas SNE's routes are mainly town or city centre services. GNE and Arriva might argue that they forego a higher fare every time they accept an NTL ticket when compared with SNE. Sounds fairer, but gets more difficult to administer.
- Proportion of mileage operated: forget trying to count boardings, simply divide the takings by the number of miles each operators' buses operate. This assumes that there costs/revenues are broadly the same across the county, which I doubt is true; but I throw this one in for completeness.

That's just three potential models - I've no idea which one they use, but I'd guess the second might work.

BTW, did anyone notice that NTL holds 27 of its own shares? I'd guess that this enabled NTL to be paid enough of the revenue (not quite three per cent?) to cover its own costs... clever!

Re the GNE 'share' being less than the PTE's: surely this just reflects how the NTL market works? Multi-modal tickets, where it's possible to take advantage of the faster speed of rail and the higher frequency of buses, surely suggest that combined bus/Metro journeys is the main use that these tickets are put to?
eezypeazy
10 Sep 2013, 6:31 pm #24

There's a number of ways they can divide up the revenue. Here's some I can think of:

- Per boarding: All boardings are recorded, so dividing up the proceeds per boarding would, IMO, be relatively simple. Attempts by individual operators to 'skew' the boardings by forcing changes would be counter-productive, as people don't like changing buses or modes - it's only worth doing to 'aggregate' two half-bus loads together to make a full bus load (and I'd guess that's the theory at places such as Washington). M1 feeds in to Metro because it can't compete journey-speed wise with Metro; but most GNE buses at Gateshead go through to Newcastle, where the interchange time penalty is greater than the time of the extra bus ride.
- Per boarding weighted by average fare: GNE and Arriva run many longer, inter-urban services, whereas SNE's routes are mainly town or city centre services. GNE and Arriva might argue that they forego a higher fare every time they accept an NTL ticket when compared with SNE. Sounds fairer, but gets more difficult to administer.
- Proportion of mileage operated: forget trying to count boardings, simply divide the takings by the number of miles each operators' buses operate. This assumes that there costs/revenues are broadly the same across the county, which I doubt is true; but I throw this one in for completeness.

That's just three potential models - I've no idea which one they use, but I'd guess the second might work.

BTW, did anyone notice that NTL holds 27 of its own shares? I'd guess that this enabled NTL to be paid enough of the revenue (not quite three per cent?) to cover its own costs... clever!

Re the GNE 'share' being less than the PTE's: surely this just reflects how the NTL market works? Multi-modal tickets, where it's possible to take advantage of the faster speed of rail and the higher frequency of buses, surely suggest that combined bus/Metro journeys is the main use that these tickets are put to?

Andreos1

12 Sep 2013, 8:07 pm #25
Just a thought, based on eezypeazy's suggestion that the Network Ticketing shares are divided out to members, based on the % of the market share they have.

I wonder if this is this decided annually or more often?
Andreos1
12 Sep 2013, 8:07 pm #25

Just a thought, based on eezypeazy's suggestion that the Network Ticketing shares are divided out to members, based on the % of the market share they have.

busman101

12 Sep 2013, 8:29 pm #26
(12 Sep 2013, 8:07 pm)Andreos1 Just a thought, based on eezypeazy's suggestion that the Network Ticketing shares are divided out to members, based on the % of the market share they have.

The shares in NTL remain the same as far as I know and the revenue is apportioned on usage across the partner operators - so if a new operator came into local bus operation and wanted to accept NTL tickets then they would get their share of the revenue pot rather than a share of the company
busman101
12 Sep 2013, 8:29 pm #26

(12 Sep 2013, 8:07 pm)Andreos1 Just a thought, based on eezypeazy's suggestion that the Network Ticketing shares are divided out to members, based on the % of the market share they have.

The shares in NTL remain the same as far as I know and the revenue is apportioned on usage across the partner operators - so if a new operator came into local bus operation and wanted to accept NTL tickets then they would get their share of the revenue pot rather than a share of the company

Andreos1

12 Sep 2013, 8:35 pm #27
(12 Sep 2013, 8:29 pm)busman101 The shares in NTL remain the same as far as I know and the revenue is apportioned on usage across the partner operators - so if a new operator came into local bus operation and wanted to accept NTL tickets then they would get their share of the revenue pot rather than a share of the company

Do you know how the shares are allocated?
Is it true they are allocated on the basis of market share - or are they purchased, like every other share in the world is?
Andreos1
12 Sep 2013, 8:35 pm #27

(12 Sep 2013, 8:29 pm)busman101 The shares in NTL remain the same as far as I know and the revenue is apportioned on usage across the partner operators - so if a new operator came into local bus operation and wanted to accept NTL tickets then they would get their share of the revenue pot rather than a share of the company

Do you know how the shares are allocated?
Is it true they are allocated on the basis of market share - or are they purchased, like every other share in the world is?

Adrian

12 Sep 2013, 8:50 pm #28

That was my argument, which was apparently incorrect. From what I've seen now I'd say it works exactly how eezypeazy described.

Adrian
12 Sep 2013, 8:50 pm #28

That was my argument, which was apparently incorrect. From what I've seen now I'd say it works exactly how eezypeazy described.

Andreos1

12 Sep 2013, 9:16 pm #29
(12 Sep 2013, 8:50 pm)aureolin That was my argument, which was apparently incorrect. From what I've seen now I'd say it works exactly how eezypeazy described.

Except eezypeazy argued that the share % changed, based on the market share of the operator.
if any scheme members' share of the
market changes, their share of the revenue
changes. So, for example, a Metro extension to
Washington would almost inevitably see the
PTE's share increase and GNE's fall

That bit, seems impossible to administrate, with ever changing markets and performance.

The shares have got to be the same, unless someone comes in and purchases them - however each member (re-seller) is entitled to a proportion of the revenue raised.

The life of a £6.80 ticket.
* GNE sell the ticket. The passenger uses this as far as Heworth. GNE record the sale and trip as theirs.
* Nexus then record a trip due to the journey being continued by metro.
* Nexus recieve an additional tick in the box with the passenger jumping on the ferry.
* The passenger gets the 333 along to Christians on the fish quay and record another little bit of the £6.80.
With the journey repeated in reverse....

That ticket is added to the big pile, with GNE and Nexus being reimbursed according to the trips they have against their names.

The more I think about it, the more irrelevant the share allocation is when it comes to revenue.
Surely, it can't be anything more than a loud voice and bigger say during meetings - which is where the 1% equal share allocation seems to make sense.
Andreos1
12 Sep 2013, 9:16 pm #29

(12 Sep 2013, 8:50 pm)aureolin That was my argument, which was apparently incorrect. From what I've seen now I'd say it works exactly how eezypeazy described.

Except eezypeazy argued that the share % changed, based on the market share of the operator.
if any scheme members' share of the
market changes, their share of the revenue
changes. So, for example, a Metro extension to
Washington would almost inevitably see the
PTE's share increase and GNE's fall

That bit, seems impossible to administrate, with ever changing markets and performance.

The shares have got to be the same, unless someone comes in and purchases them - however each member (re-seller) is entitled to a proportion of the revenue raised.

The life of a £6.80 ticket.
* GNE sell the ticket. The passenger uses this as far as Heworth. GNE record the sale and trip as theirs.
* Nexus then record a trip due to the journey being continued by metro.
* Nexus recieve an additional tick in the box with the passenger jumping on the ferry.
* The passenger gets the 333 along to Christians on the fish quay and record another little bit of the £6.80.
With the journey repeated in reverse....

That ticket is added to the big pile, with GNE and Nexus being reimbursed according to the trips they have against their names.

The more I think about it, the more irrelevant the share allocation is when it comes to revenue.
Surely, it can't be anything more than a loud voice and bigger say during meetings - which is where the 1% equal share allocation seems to make sense.

eezypeazy

13 Sep 2013, 7:35 am #30
I think we can all see now just how simple this is - it just divides up the revenue based on usage, after NTL's own costs are deducted.

The 'shares' in the company are nominal shares - they are never traded, but (presumably) can be redistributed to reflect market share at an appropriate moment.

Agreed that the question of voting rights at meetings is intriguing, but ask yourselves this - what is there to be decided and voted upon? I'd guess that the biggest decision is an annual review of NTL prices. Each shareholder (including Nexus on behalf of Metro/Ferry) has a need to maximise revenue; but set NTL prices too high and customers will buy two individual operator tickets instead, thereby depriving companies of NTL revenue. Set NTL prices too low and operators own tickets become more expensive and NTL's share of total revenue goes up and the individual operator loses control of his own revenue stream. And Nexus has the problem of needing to maximise revenue while satisfying their political masters' desire for cheap travel...

I would imagine the meetings might get rather tense...!!!
Edited 13 Sep 2013, 7:36 am by eezypeazy.
eezypeazy
13 Sep 2013, 7:35 am #30

I think we can all see now just how simple this is - it just divides up the revenue based on usage, after NTL's own costs are deducted.

The 'shares' in the company are nominal shares - they are never traded, but (presumably) can be redistributed to reflect market share at an appropriate moment.

Agreed that the question of voting rights at meetings is intriguing, but ask yourselves this - what is there to be decided and voted upon? I'd guess that the biggest decision is an annual review of NTL prices. Each shareholder (including Nexus on behalf of Metro/Ferry) has a need to maximise revenue; but set NTL prices too high and customers will buy two individual operator tickets instead, thereby depriving companies of NTL revenue. Set NTL prices too low and operators own tickets become more expensive and NTL's share of total revenue goes up and the individual operator loses control of his own revenue stream. And Nexus has the problem of needing to maximise revenue while satisfying their political masters' desire for cheap travel...

Andreos1

13 Sep 2013, 9:19 am #31
(13 Sep 2013, 7:35 am)eezypeazy I think we can all see now just how simple this is - it just divides up the revenue based on usage, after NTL's own costs are deducted.

Not sure anyone was disputing or not showing an understanding of the revenue, more likely the shareholder allocation or the concept of shareholders at all.
Andreos1
13 Sep 2013, 9:19 am #31

(13 Sep 2013, 7:35 am)eezypeazy I think we can all see now just how simple this is - it just divides up the revenue based on usage, after NTL's own costs are deducted.

Not sure anyone was disputing or not showing an understanding of the revenue, more likely the shareholder allocation or the concept of shareholders at all.

Andreos1

08 Jun 2015, 11:03 am #32
http://www.networkonetickets.co.uk/ticke...er-tickets

Magpie Mover ticket prices announced for 15/16 season.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
08 Jun 2015, 11:03 am #32

http://www.networkonetickets.co.uk/ticke...er-tickets

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Tom

08 Jun 2015, 2:46 pm #33
(08 Jun 2015, 11:03 am)Andreos1 http://www.networkonetickets.co.uk/ticke...er-tickets

Really good value that.
Tom
08 Jun 2015, 2:46 pm #33

(08 Jun 2015, 11:03 am)Andreos1 http://www.networkonetickets.co.uk/ticke...er-tickets

Really good value that.

Malarkey

09 Sep 2015, 1:13 pm #34
If it can be done in the South East, then it can be done in the North East, no need for QCS.
http://www.route-one.net/industry/one-ti...all-buses/
Malarkey
09 Sep 2015, 1:13 pm #34

If it can be done in the South East, then it can be done in the North East, no need for QCS.

Adrian

09 Sep 2015, 2:03 pm #35
(09 Sep 2015, 1:13 pm)Malarkey If it can be done in the South East, then it can be done in the North East, no need for QCS.
We have this already, and have had for as long as I can remember. The North East Explorer ticket...

Adrian
09 Sep 2015, 2:03 pm #35

(09 Sep 2015, 1:13 pm)Malarkey If it can be done in the South East, then it can be done in the North East, no need for QCS.
We have this already, and have had for as long as I can remember. The North East Explorer ticket...

Malarkey

09 Sep 2015, 2:21 pm #36
(09 Sep 2015, 2:03 pm)aureolin We have this already, and have had for as long as I can remember. The North East Explorer ticket...
Apologies me not thinking before making the post, having one of those day im afraid.
Malarkey
09 Sep 2015, 2:21 pm #36

(09 Sep 2015, 2:03 pm)aureolin We have this already, and have had for as long as I can remember. The North East Explorer ticket...
Apologies me not thinking before making the post, having one of those day im afraid.

Dan

Site Administrator

14 Dec 2015, 4:05 pm #37
Smart, Multi-Operator Travel Launched for North East Bus Passengers

Date: 14 Dec 2015

Region’s bus users to benefit from innovative smart ticketing initiative
Seamless multi-journey travel across the major bus operators of the North East - Stagecoach, Go North East and Arriva
Unlimited travel with any bus operator from less than £2 per day

http://www.simplygo.com/news/smart-multi...passengers
Dan
14 Dec 2015, 4:05 pm #37

Smart, Multi-Operator Travel Launched for North East Bus Passengers

Seamless multi-journey travel across the major bus operators of the North East - Stagecoach, Go North East and Arriva

Michael

14 Dec 2015, 4:12 pm #38
(14 Dec 2015, 4:05 pm)Dan Smart, Multi-Operator Travel Launched for North East Bus Passengers

About time, sound like a good idea.

What is the SmartZone boundaries?, just Tyne & Wear?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
14 Dec 2015, 4:12 pm #38

(14 Dec 2015, 4:05 pm)Dan Smart, Multi-Operator Travel Launched for North East Bus Passengers

About time, sound like a good idea.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Malarkey

14 Dec 2015, 4:58 pm #39
(14 Dec 2015, 4:12 pm)Michael About time, sound like a good idea.

Sunderland, Newcastle, South Tyneside & North Tyneside.

Washington, Gateshead and a few other areas dont benefit from this, further more from going on "The Key" Website to buy a Ticket you cannot purchase multiple zones either, therefore you would have to revert to Network One if you were using multiple operators, makes the scheme pretty pointless in my opinion.
Malarkey
14 Dec 2015, 4:58 pm #39

(14 Dec 2015, 4:12 pm)Michael About time, sound like a good idea.

Sunderland, Newcastle, South Tyneside & North Tyneside.

Washington, Gateshead and a few other areas dont benefit from this, further more from going on "The Key" Website to buy a Ticket you cannot purchase multiple zones either, therefore you would have to revert to Network One if you were using multiple operators, makes the scheme pretty pointless in my opinion.

Michael

14 Dec 2015, 5:00 pm #40
(14 Dec 2015, 4:58 pm)Malarkey Sunderland, Newcastle, South Tyneside & North Tyneside.

Hmm i'll stick to my Network one ticket.

Whats the point in that, if u cant use it in Gateshead, what if u want to travel through.
Edited 14 Dec 2015, 5:01 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
14 Dec 2015, 5:00 pm #40

(14 Dec 2015, 4:58 pm)Malarkey Sunderland, Newcastle, South Tyneside & North Tyneside.

Hmm i'll stick to my Network one ticket.

Whats the point in that, if u cant use it in Gateshead, what if u want to travel through.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Pages (3) Previous 1 2 3 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average