Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Nexus Cost Cutting on Bus Stop Timetables

Nexus Cost Cutting on Bus Stop Timetables

Nexus Cost Cutting on Bus Stop Timetables

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3 Next
gtom

Banned

16 Feb 2014, 2:17 pm #21
(15 Feb 2014, 2:23 pm)andreos1 Sorry, just re-read my post.

Those temporary, uncovered, exposed bus stops you mentioned are still there.
The covered shelters outside Lloyds Bank or the snooker hall are out of use.

What I should have said, was that to get cover/protection from the elements, you need to walk to the doctors etc

I imagine the reasoning is the cost of installing a temporary bus shelter would probably be very high.

The stop where TB14 and M2/3 stop opposite the BP garage in Birtley doesn't have a bus stop either.
gtom
16 Feb 2014, 2:17 pm #21

(15 Feb 2014, 2:23 pm)andreos1 Sorry, just re-read my post.

Those temporary, uncovered, exposed bus stops you mentioned are still there.
The covered shelters outside Lloyds Bank or the snooker hall are out of use.

What I should have said, was that to get cover/protection from the elements, you need to walk to the doctors etc

I imagine the reasoning is the cost of installing a temporary bus shelter would probably be very high.

The stop where TB14 and M2/3 stop opposite the BP garage in Birtley doesn't have a bus stop either.

Andreos1

16 Feb 2014, 2:25 pm #22
(16 Feb 2014, 2:17 pm)gtom I imagine the reasoning is the cost of installing a temporary bus shelter would probably be very high.

There was something published a few years back, which outlined the need to improve temporary stops.
It obviously hasn't came to fruition.

Granted, a week or two couldn't justify a shelter, but in this example, the two on Birtley Front Street, the time of year and the duration of the works, could justify a more hard standing solution.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
16 Feb 2014, 2:25 pm #22

(16 Feb 2014, 2:17 pm)gtom I imagine the reasoning is the cost of installing a temporary bus shelter would probably be very high.

There was something published a few years back, which outlined the need to improve temporary stops.

Granted, a week or two couldn't justify a shelter, but in this example, the two on Birtley Front Street, the time of year and the duration of the works, could justify a more hard standing solution.

gtom

Banned

16 Feb 2014, 2:28 pm #23
(16 Feb 2014, 2:25 pm)andreos1 There was something published a few years back, which outlined the need to improve temporary stops.

afaik the stop going Northbound is due to move back to its original imminently as demolition work and footpath closure is about to commence on the old standing Sommerfield store

Southbound stop is moving because its current location is about to become a signalised junction
gtom
16 Feb 2014, 2:28 pm #23

(16 Feb 2014, 2:25 pm)andreos1 There was something published a few years back, which outlined the need to improve temporary stops.

afaik the stop going Northbound is due to move back to its original imminently as demolition work and footpath closure is about to commence on the old standing Sommerfield store

Southbound stop is moving because its current location is about to become a signalised junction

Andreos1

16 Feb 2014, 2:37 pm #24
(16 Feb 2014, 2:28 pm)gtom afaik the stop going Northbound is due to move back to its original imminently as demolition work and footpath closure is about to commence on the old standing Sommerfield store

Looking at the size of the hole and amount of pipework still be fitted, it will be a while before that one is reopened.
Southbound - the temporary stop is in the same location as the old one, just without a roof to protect you from the elements.
Both have been like that for a while now - evn if it is just temporary.

Somerfield?
Its still Presto man Wink

Andreos1
16 Feb 2014, 2:37 pm #24

(16 Feb 2014, 2:28 pm)gtom afaik the stop going Northbound is due to move back to its original imminently as demolition work and footpath closure is about to commence on the old standing Sommerfield store

Looking at the size of the hole and amount of pipework still be fitted, it will be a while before that one is reopened.
Southbound - the temporary stop is in the same location as the old one, just without a roof to protect you from the elements.

Somerfield?

Adrian

16 Feb 2014, 2:42 pm #25
(16 Feb 2014, 2:37 pm)andreos1 Looking at the size of the hole and amount of pipework still be fitted, it will be a while before that one is reopened.

Somerfield?

Blast from the past Smile seem to remember a big one near Sunderland? Not entirely sure where that was! Us Washington lot thought we were top dogs having a Gateway foodmarket though... Wink

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
16 Feb 2014, 2:42 pm #25

(16 Feb 2014, 2:37 pm)andreos1 Looking at the size of the hole and amount of pipework still be fitted, it will be a while before that one is reopened.

Somerfield?

Blast from the past Smile seem to remember a big one near Sunderland? Not entirely sure where that was! Us Washington lot thought we were top dogs having a Gateway foodmarket though... Wink

Andreos1

16 Feb 2014, 2:47 pm #26
(16 Feb 2014, 2:42 pm)aureolin Blast from the past Smile seem to remember a big one near Sunderland? Not entirely sure where that was! Us Washington lot thought we were top dogs having a Gateway foodmarket though... Wink

Gateway?
Its still Woolco man Wink

The Galleries had a Presto too (where the in-shops are). No idea of the Sunderland one.

Andreos1
16 Feb 2014, 2:47 pm #26

(16 Feb 2014, 2:42 pm)aureolin Blast from the past Smile seem to remember a big one near Sunderland? Not entirely sure where that was! Us Washington lot thought we were top dogs having a Gateway foodmarket though... Wink

Gateway?

The Galleries had a Presto too (where the in-shops are). No idea of the Sunderland one.

gtom

Banned

16 Feb 2014, 2:47 pm #27

Funnily enough I drove past it yesterday and the old Safeway sign had been uncovered!
gtom
16 Feb 2014, 2:47 pm #27

Funnily enough I drove past it yesterday and the old Safeway sign had been uncovered!

Adrian

16 Feb 2014, 3:19 pm #28
(16 Feb 2014, 2:47 pm)andreos1 Gateway?

You're right - photo here. :p

Adrian
16 Feb 2014, 3:19 pm #28

(16 Feb 2014, 2:47 pm)andreos1 Gateway?

You're right - photo here. :p

Andreos1

16 Feb 2014, 3:39 pm #29
(16 Feb 2014, 3:19 pm)aureolin You're right - photo here. :p

Is that where Iceland is now?
Cant remember Presto being there - it obviously was like.
Cheap lager too!

Andreos1
16 Feb 2014, 3:39 pm #29

(16 Feb 2014, 3:19 pm)aureolin You're right - photo here. :p

Is that where Iceland is now?
Cant remember Presto being there - it obviously was like.
Cheap lager too!

Dan

Site Administrator

18 Feb 2014, 11:24 am #30
The bus shelter opposite the cemetery on Hylton Road has gone! A little flag pole hooked onto a street light to act as the bus stop now.
Granted it was an old-style brick shelter before, but I am surprised a new one wasn't implemented.
Dan
18 Feb 2014, 11:24 am #30

The bus shelter opposite the cemetery on Hylton Road has gone! A little flag pole hooked onto a street light to act as the bus stop now.
Granted it was an old-style brick shelter before, but I am surprised a new one wasn't implemented.

gtom

Banned

18 Feb 2014, 12:38 pm #31
(18 Feb 2014, 11:24 am)Dan The bus shelter opposite the cemetery on Hylton Road has gone! A little flag pole hooked onto a street light to act as the bus stop now.

I wonder if Nexus have a cascade policy for shelters. Some of the Birtley and Low Fell shelters (the 2 larger style ones) have got City of Newcastle upon Tyne emblazoned on them
gtom
18 Feb 2014, 12:38 pm #31

(18 Feb 2014, 11:24 am)Dan The bus shelter opposite the cemetery on Hylton Road has gone! A little flag pole hooked onto a street light to act as the bus stop now.

I wonder if Nexus have a cascade policy for shelters. Some of the Birtley and Low Fell shelters (the 2 larger style ones) have got City of Newcastle upon Tyne emblazoned on them

Andreos1

18 Feb 2014, 1:36 pm #32

Was it one of the ones with the green, concrete painted roof?
They were all supposed to come down years ago.
Both Gateshead and South Tyneside councils have had meetings about them over the years with regard to safety concerns.

Wonder if something is going to happen now?

Andreos1
18 Feb 2014, 1:36 pm #32

Was it one of the ones with the green, concrete painted roof?
Both Gateshead and South Tyneside councils have had meetings about them over the years with regard to safety concerns.

Dan

Site Administrator

18 Feb 2014, 1:44 pm #33
(18 Feb 2014, 1:36 pm)andreos1 Was it one of the ones with the green, concrete painted roof?

Shown on Google Maps below.
http://goo.gl/maps/1Bfk8

Still a number of them kicking about in Sunderland - think there's quite a few of them on the Sunderland end of the 56 route, in fact?
Dan
18 Feb 2014, 1:44 pm #33

(18 Feb 2014, 1:36 pm)andreos1 Was it one of the ones with the green, concrete painted roof?

Shown on Google Maps below.

Still a number of them kicking about in Sunderland - think there's quite a few of them on the Sunderland end of the 56 route, in fact?

CatsFast101

Unregistered

18 Feb 2014, 2:49 pm #34
(18 Feb 2014, 1:44 pm)Dan Shown on Google Maps below.

Isn't there one on the 60 route? Grangetown at Toll Bar Stop, Marine Drive?

Edit: Yes, photo attached.
Attached Files
.jpg
image.jpg
Size: 744.94 KB / Downloads: 19
CatsFast101
18 Feb 2014, 2:49 pm #34

(18 Feb 2014, 1:44 pm)Dan Shown on Google Maps below.

Isn't there one on the 60 route? Grangetown at Toll Bar Stop, Marine Drive?

Attached Files
.jpg
image.jpg
Size: 744.94 KB / Downloads: 19

Dan

Site Administrator

18 Feb 2014, 3:00 pm #35
(18 Feb 2014, 2:49 pm)CatsFast101 Isn't there one on the 60 route? Grangetown at Toll Bar Stop, Marine Drive?

Not half as putrid, that one. Not sure if that one was built before or after, but looks to have different bricks... I'd guess it was built after though, given that the smell isn't absolutely hideous.

Andreos is right - they are a right Health & Safety hazard... I do vaguely recall bumping my head off that one in Ryhope and was unable to move for at least 10 minutes after falling in the ditch behind it... Fun times, of course.
Dan
18 Feb 2014, 3:00 pm #35

(18 Feb 2014, 2:49 pm)CatsFast101 Isn't there one on the 60 route? Grangetown at Toll Bar Stop, Marine Drive?

Not half as putrid, that one. Not sure if that one was built before or after, but looks to have different bricks... I'd guess it was built after though, given that the smell isn't absolutely hideous.

Andreos is right - they are a right Health & Safety hazard... I do vaguely recall bumping my head off that one in Ryhope and was unable to move for at least 10 minutes after falling in the ditch behind it... Fun times, of course.

Andreos1

18 Feb 2014, 3:14 pm #36
The issue I was aware of, was based on the concrete roof falling onto a car which crashed into the shelter in the early 90s.
That shelter was only a few years old at the time, so was repaired (and is still in use).

I think there is a programme to replace them all (just under 100 replacements a year), but dangerous, unsafe shelters will take priority. Guessing age and anti-social behaviour along with the location of an alternative shelter will play a part too.

edit: Here is the Gateshead Council policy https://www.gateshead.gov.uk/Transport%2...c/bus.aspx
Edited 18 Feb 2014, 3:16 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
18 Feb 2014, 3:14 pm #36

The issue I was aware of, was based on the concrete roof falling onto a car which crashed into the shelter in the early 90s.
That shelter was only a few years old at the time, so was repaired (and is still in use).

I think there is a programme to replace them all (just under 100 replacements a year), but dangerous, unsafe shelters will take priority. Guessing age and anti-social behaviour along with the location of an alternative shelter will play a part too.

edit: Here is the Gateshead Council policy https://www.gateshead.gov.uk/Transport%2...c/bus.aspx

Adrian

18 Feb 2014, 6:27 pm #37
Concrete shelters are rife in Washington. Especially around the older parts such as Donwell, Albany, Concord, Village, and Blackfell. I'd hate to see these completely disappear to be honest. The modern shelters have no character whatsoever.

Adrian
18 Feb 2014, 6:27 pm #37

Concrete shelters are rife in Washington. Especially around the older parts such as Donwell, Albany, Concord, Village, and Blackfell. I'd hate to see these completely disappear to be honest. The modern shelters have no character whatsoever.

Dan

Site Administrator

18 Feb 2014, 6:29 pm #38
For anyone who doesn't pass by St. Mary's Way in Sunderland often...

[Image: 12613960815_618a78b190_c.jpg]
Dan
18 Feb 2014, 6:29 pm #38

For anyone who doesn't pass by St. Mary's Way in Sunderland often...

[Image: 12613960815_618a78b190_c.jpg]

Andreos1

10 Jun 2018, 9:13 pm #39
I appreciate this probably isn't Nexus fault, but couldn't find anywhere more appropriate. Feel free to move if there is!

Driving over the crossing in to the Sunderland portion of Fencehouses tonight, I noticed a set of temporary lights rendering two stops out of action. The Houghton bound stop being one.
As per the norm, a temporary stop had been 'installed'.

What caught my attention, was that it wasn't a Nexus flag.
I recognised the italicised 't' and purple colouring behind it, but can't think which LA/PTE it belongs to.
I'm guessing the contractors had brought it with them.
With driving and being caught in a flow of traffic, I couldn't get a snap unfortunately.

Any ideas who the 't' is?

Andreos1
10 Jun 2018, 9:13 pm #39

I appreciate this probably isn't Nexus fault, but couldn't find anywhere more appropriate. Feel free to move if there is!

Driving over the crossing in to the Sunderland portion of Fencehouses tonight, I noticed a set of temporary lights rendering two stops out of action. The Houghton bound stop being one.

I recognised the italicised 't' and purple colouring behind it, but can't think which LA/PTE it belongs to.
With driving and being caught in a flow of traffic, I couldn't get a snap unfortunately.

missedbus

10 Jun 2018, 9:20 pm #40
(10 Jun 2018, 9:13 pm)Andreos1 I appreciate this probably isn't Nexus fault, but couldn't find anywhere more appropriate. Feel free to move if there is!

If it's an italicised capital T, it sounds like Travel South Yorkshire.
Edited 10 Jun 2018, 9:24 pm by missedbus.
missedbus
10 Jun 2018, 9:20 pm #40

(10 Jun 2018, 9:13 pm)Andreos1 I appreciate this probably isn't Nexus fault, but couldn't find anywhere more appropriate. Feel free to move if there is!

If it's an italicised capital T, it sounds like Travel South Yorkshire.

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average