Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Tyne Pedestrian and Cycle Tunnels Closure

Tyne Pedestrian and Cycle Tunnels Closure

Tyne Pedestrian and Cycle Tunnels Closure

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NEB Admin Team

Unregistered

07 Nov 2012, 7:17 pm #1
Stumbled upon this late last night because I had been contemplating walking to work instead of the Metro.

These tunnels are closing sometime in the near future for 12 months to allow refurbishment and the public will be given one month notice. There will be a free shuttle bus service operating up to every 20 minutes. I immediately assumed that the cycle-friendly Lime buses by Go North East would be used, but apparently a cycle trailer towed by the shuttle bus will accommodate 16 bikes at a time instead.

I'm not sure if normal public service vehicles can carry trailers? I would imagine it would be a small minibus that runs the service to save on costs.

Full details can be found here -

http://www.tynepedestrianandcyclisttunnels.co.uk/faqs/
NEB Admin Team
07 Nov 2012, 7:17 pm #1

Stumbled upon this late last night because I had been contemplating walking to work instead of the Metro.

These tunnels are closing sometime in the near future for 12 months to allow refurbishment and the public will be given one month notice. There will be a free shuttle bus service operating up to every 20 minutes. I immediately assumed that the cycle-friendly Lime buses by Go North East would be used, but apparently a cycle trailer towed by the shuttle bus will accommodate 16 bikes at a time instead.

I'm not sure if normal public service vehicles can carry trailers? I would imagine it would be a small minibus that runs the service to save on costs.

Full details can be found here -

http://www.tynepedestrianandcyclisttunnels.co.uk/faqs/

Adrian

21 Jul 2013, 11:42 am #2
It'll cost a fortune on top of what they'd already set aside for the project to remove the asbestos completely. I'm really surprised it wasn't budgeted in the first place.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
21 Jul 2013, 11:42 am #2

It'll cost a fortune on top of what they'd already set aside for the project to remove the asbestos completely. I'm really surprised it wasn't budgeted in the first place.

Adrian

21 Jul 2013, 4:36 pm #4
I might have a look out on that next week. Sure sense of deja vu with the old Metrolink buses Big Grin

Adrian
21 Jul 2013, 4:36 pm #4

I might have a look out on that next week. Sure sense of deja vu with the old Metrolink buses Big Grin

GuyParkRoyal

01 Apr 2016, 9:47 am #5
More asbestos has been found during the refurbishment of the Tyne Pedestrian & Cycle Tunnel. The combined authority have indicated that the tunnel will not open until summer 2017 at the earliest.
What was planned as a 1 year project now looks to be running towards 5 years.
GuyParkRoyal
01 Apr 2016, 9:47 am #5

More asbestos has been found during the refurbishment of the Tyne Pedestrian & Cycle Tunnel. The combined authority have indicated that the tunnel will not open until summer 2017 at the earliest.
What was planned as a 1 year project now looks to be running towards 5 years.

idiot

05 Apr 2016, 12:24 pm #6
This is a disgrace. Fancy thinking a building like thus wouldn't have asbestos!
idiot
05 Apr 2016, 12:24 pm #6

This is a disgrace. Fancy thinking a building like thus wouldn't have asbestos!

05 Apr 2016, 6:07 pm #7
Building a new one would've been quicker. I know just the place for the spoil too...
JakeSavage
05 Apr 2016, 6:07 pm #7

Building a new one would've been quicker. I know just the place for the spoil too...

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average