North East Buses
2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team) - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General off-topic chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Thread: 2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team) (/showthread.php?tid=1075)

RE: football - Dan - 08 May 2014

(07 May 2014, 8:41 pm)Michael wrote Were staying up!

What were the odds of us stopping up after the Everton game?

Here's hoping we can keep on playing as we are at present next season...

RE: football - MrFozz - 08 May 2014

There is a hell of a lot of work to do, same for Newcastle, if they both dont sort themselves out, then they both could be in big trouble next season

Re: RE: football - MrFozz - 08 May 2014

(07 May 2014, 8:41 pm)Michael wrote Were staying up!

What were the odds of us stopping up after the Everton game?

Add that to the odds on Citeh winning the title 3 weeks ago, you would've getting canny odds on a double

Re: football - MrFozz - 08 May 2014

So Sunderland become only the 2nd team in the Premier League Era to escape relegation after being bottom at Christmas...

West Brom were of course the first team to do it...

Who knows what happened the next season to West Brom?...

Clue...It also happened to Sunderland and I hope history does not repeat itself...

Well, at least the best derby in England(imho) will be taking place next season in the Premier League

RE: football - Adam - 08 May 2014

(07 May 2014, 8:11 pm)marxistafozzski wrote They did indeed fold and reform in 2010...

I have a question for you Adam

Is the Gatshead FC we know today the same Gateshead that was voted out of the League 54 years. Football in Gateshead has an interesting history, reforming a few times, mergers with South Shields and so on...

I am guessing Gateshead today is a new club and it was not this club that got voted out of the league, but also guessing most fans view it as a Phoenix so to speak

Sorry for the late reply. You can tell that A-level revision has completely taken over my life at the minute.

Technically, it is the same club, but it isn't. The club was formed back in 1930 under the name Gateshead AFC. The latest media reports all say that the forthcoming Wembley match is the biggest one in the club's 84 year history, so obviously must include this incarnation, if you like.

That club folded back in 1973 but reformed under the name Gateshead Town in the same year and then rebranded themselves as Gateshead United the following year when they merged with South Shields (again). That club then folded in 1977, but the club reformed again into the current Gateshead FC that we know.

(08 May 2014, 6:10 pm)Adam wrote Sorry for the late reply. You can tell that A-level revision has completely taken over my life at the minute.

Technically, it is the same club, but it isn't. The club was formed back in 1930 under the name Gateshead AFC. The latest media reports all say that the forthcoming Wembley match is the biggest one in the club's 84 year history, so obviously must include this incarnation, if you like.

That club folded back in 1973 but reformed under the name Gateshead Town in the same year and then rebranded themselves as Gateshead United the following year when they merged with South Shields (again). That club then folded in 1977, but the club reformed again into the current Gateshead FC that we know.

Ah right, kind of like our situation at Darlington, the football club itself never officially went into liquidation, it's holding company did if I remember.

As we came out of Administration without agreeing a CVA or the Golden Share(whatever that is) to play football was the reason for

1. Relegation to the Northern League and
2. Made us change our name to Darlington 1883
3. Deeming us to be a new club

But we carried on the spirit of the old club

RE: football - Michael - 08 May 2014

First leg of the championship play off's tonight!

Brighton V Derby - KO 19:45

Come on Brighton!

FRI 9 MAY 2014 - CHAMPIONSHIP
Wigan v QPR - 19:45

SUN 11 MAY 2014 - CHAMPIONSHIP - Derby v Brighton - 17:15
MON 12 MAY 2014 - CHAMPIONSHIP - QPR v Wigan - 19:45

League 1 play-offs

SAT 10 MAY 2014 - LEAGUE ONE
Peterborough v Leyton Orient - 12:15
Preston v Rotherham - 17:15
TUE 13 MAY 2014 - Leyton Orient v Peterborough -19:45
THU 15 MAY 2014 - Rotherham v Preston -19:45

Would like to see Leyton Orient promoted

League 2

SAT 10 MAY 2014 -York v Fleetwood - 19:30
SUN 11 MAY 2014 -Burton v Southend -12:00
FRI 16 MAY 2014 - Fleetwood v York -19:45
SAT 17 MAY 2014 - Southend v Burton - 12:00

Would like to see Fleetwood promoted

So the FA are talking about creating a new division that will contain Premier League B teams, it will sit between League 2 and The Conference, it will contain 10 Premier League B teams, the rest being made up of Conference Teams...Premier B teams will not be allowed to get higher than League 1 or lower than the Conference and wont enter the FA Cup...

What is others opinions on this, do you think it can work or will it flop

(08 May 2014, 6:33 pm)Michael wrote First leg of the championship play off's tonight!

Brighton V Derby - KO 19:45

Come on Brighton!

FRI 9 MAY 2014 - CHAMPIONSHIP
Wigan v QPR - 19:45

SUN 11 MAY 2014 - CHAMPIONSHIP - Derby v Brighton - 17:15
MON 12 MAY 2014 - CHAMPIONSHIP - QPR v Wigan - 19:45

League 1 play-offs

SAT 10 MAY 2014 - LEAGUE ONE
Peterborough v Leyton Orient - 12:15
Preston v Rotherham - 17:15
TUE 13 MAY 2014 - Leyton Orient v Peterborough -19:45
THU 15 MAY 2014 - Rotherham v Preston -19:45

Would like to see Leyton Orient promoted

League 2

SAT 10 MAY 2014 -York v Fleetwood - 19:30
SUN 11 MAY 2014 -Burton v Southend -12:00
FRI 16 MAY 2014 - Fleetwood v York -19:45
SAT 17 MAY 2014 - Southend v Burton - 12:00

Would like to see Fleetwood promoted

For me

Brighton(Gus getting to go back to the AMEX)
Leyton Orient(Family Ties, my greatx3 uncle was manager there when they were Clapton Orient)
York(Northern Club)

Hope no one shits on the floor of the away dressing room at Brighton this year [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/may/18/gus-poyet-fuming-excrement-crystal-palace

(08 May 2014, 6:36 pm)marxistafozzski wrote So the FA are talking about creating a new division that will contain Premier League B teams, it will sit between League 2 and The Conference, it will contain 10 Premier League B teams, the rest being made up of Conference Teams...Premier B teams will not be allowed to get higher than League 1 or lower than the Conference and wont enter the FA Cup...

Don't agree at all, will wreak the football pyramid

(08 May 2014, 6:42 pm)Michael wrote Don't agree at all, will wreak the football pyramid

There is a good case for it and it can work, look at Germany and Spain as an example, it has gone on for years there, but it is not an English thing, it never has been, which will be about as welcomed as a wet fart. I am personally in favour of it, if it gives the younger players more competitive games then it cannot be too bad

Here is something that give me a laugh...a tweet from Accrington Stanley...Who are they you might ask...Exactly

[Image: ve6aqyra.jpg]

(08 May 2014, 6:46 pm)marxistafozzski wrote There is a good case for it and it can work, look at Germany and Spain as an example, it has gone on for years there, but it is not an English thing, it never has been, which will be about as welcomed as a wet fart. I am personally in favour of it, if it gives the younger players more competitive games then it cannot be too bad

It might do but why not make it a total separate league though

English league reserves 1 and English league reserves 2

3 down/3 up

RE: football - Andreos1 - 08 May 2014

(08 May 2014, 6:36 pm)marxistafozzski wrote So the FA are talking about creating a new division that will contain Premier League B teams, it will sit between League 2 and The Conference, it will contain 10 Premier League B teams, the rest being made up of Conference Teams...Premier B teams will not be allowed to get higher than League 1 or lower than the Conference and wont enter the FA Cup...

In principle I am for it, although the positioning of it, is what is causing the doubts with me.

Conference teams aspire to be in the league - achieving promotion and ending up in a 'no mans land' full of B teams isn't what they want.

I would pepper the existing 3 football league divisions with teams, rather than create an artificial division.

(08 May 2014, 6:54 pm)Michael wrote It might do but why not make it a total separate league though

English league reserves 1 and English league reserves 2

3 down/3 up

Been done, did not work, the Premier Reserve League was split North/South, be lucky to play 20 Res League a season, but put them in a league of 20, 22 or 24 and they have at least 38 games over the season, I guess I am probably in a very small minority on this issue, but I dont see why it cannot work

RE: football - MurdnunoC - 08 May 2014

I really don't see the point in a 'B' league, however, I don't have a problem with 'B' teams providing that they start in the Vaux Wearside League (or whatever) and work their way up the pyramid system until the glass ceiling is reached - which, in my opinion, should be League 1.

This way, everybody benefits. Lower league teams will receive increased revenue from gate receipts as the likes of Newcastle United B battle teams such as West Allotment Celtic, Ryton & Crawcrook Albion or Dunston UTC during their inevitable rise up the pyramids. Hopefully, players at those clubs will gain something by playing against a better calibre of opponent as it is often stated that this is how one improves their game. Also, as coaching and scouting staff will be present at these games, we might see one or two lower-league players joining the ranks of bigger clubs if they impress. If a compensation scheme is put in place, this also has the potential to boost the finances of lower-league clubs.

Also, as Talksport have been banging on about all night, what damage does a 'B' League do to the likes of FC United if Manchester United can field a team in a division two or three leagues above them?

(08 May 2014, 10:07 pm)AdamY wrote I really don't see the point in a 'B' league, however, I don't have a problem with 'B' teams providing that they start in the Vaux Wearside League (or whatever) and work their way up the pyramid system until the glass ceiling is reached - which, in my opinion, should be League 1.

This way, everybody benefits. Lower league teams will receive increased revenue from gate receipts as the likes of Newcastle United B battle teams such as West Allotment Celtic, Ryton & Crawcrook Albion or Dunston UTC during their inevitable rise up the pyramids. Hopefully, players at those clubs will gain something by playing against a better calibre of opponent as it is often stated that this is how one improves their game. Also, as coaching and scouting staff will be present at these games, we might see one or two lower-league players joining the ranks of bigger clubs if they impress. If a compensation scheme is put in place, this also has the potential to boost the finances of lower-league clubs.

Also, as Talksport have been banging on about all night, what damage does a 'B' League do to the likes of FC United if Manchester United can field a team in a division two or three leagues above them?

Fair point and I agree with you, B teams should be made to start in the Wearside League, Northern Alliance or Teesside League, but that would never happen, even an predominantly Under-21 team would smash there way up the Pyramid, I saw Sunderland Reserves play Wolviston from the Wearside League a few years ago and they won about 8-0. If the FA went along that route B teams would mostly likely be put at Step 4(Northern Premier League Division 1) or Step 6(Northern League Division 2).

The main problem with this proposal would be attendances for such games, West Allotment v Newcastle Reserves would be well attended at West Allotment, but Newcastle B home games would not be so well attended, as they are in the same league system, most fans will be watching 'Big' Newcastle at SJP or somewhere else in the country.

The proposal at the moment is forming a League 3 for 10 B teams and the rest from the Conference, the B teams would not be allowed to go higher than League 1 or lower than the Conference, they would not be allowed entry into the FA Cup or League Cup...

I personally think League 2 should be expanded to a North/South format with 10 B teams in each section with the current League 2 teams and 4 Conference clubs making up the rest to give the divisions a full quota of 24 each

http://www.thefa.com/~/media/files/pdf/england/the-fa-chairmans-england-commission-report.ashx

A link to Greg Dykes report

RE: football - MurdnunoC - 09 May 2014

(08 May 2014, 10:28 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Fair point and I agree with you, B teams should be made to start in the Wearside League, Northern Alliance or Teesside League, but that would never happen, even an predominantly Under-21 team would smash there way up the Pyramid, I saw Sunderland Reserves play Wolviston from the Wearside League a few years ago and they won about 8-0. If the FA went along that route B teams would mostly likely be put at Step 4(Northern Premier League Division 1) or Step 6(Northern League Division 2).

The main problem with this proposal would be attendances for such games, West Allotment v Newcastle Reserves would be well attended at West Allotment, but Newcastle B home games would not be so well attended, as they are in the same league system, most fans will be watching 'Big' Newcastle at SJP or somewhere else in the country.

The proposal at the moment is forming a League 3 for 10 B teams and the rest from the Conference, the B teams would not be allowed to go higher than League 1 or lower than the Conference, they would not be allowed entry into the FA Cup or League Cup...

I personally think League 2 should be expanded to a North/South format with 10 B teams in each section with the current League 2 teams and 4 Conference clubs making up the rest to give the divisions a full quota of 24 each

Personally, I could care less whether Newcastle United B home games are well-attended when playing in Northern Alliance. The club gets 52,000 every week at St James Park and, even if they are placed on different tier of the pyramid, the same problem with attendance might surface as fan choose the 'big' club over the little club in League 3. However, West Allotment Celtic (and the league in general) would receive a short-term financial boost (something that might secure the status of the club for a season or two) and, personally, I would love to see more money going into clubs at a grassroots level through the participation of bigger clubs.

I am also supportive of a buddy-system where bigger clubs partner up with two or three smaller clubs and disperse their reserve and youth teams accordingly.

Re: RE: football - MrFozz - 09 May 2014

(09 May 2014, 6:39 am)AdamY wrote Personally, I could care less whether Newcastle United B home games are well-attended when playing in Northern Alliance. The club gets 52,000 every week at St James Park and, even if they are placed on different tier of the pyramid, the same problem with attendance might surface as fan choose the 'big' club over the little club in League 3. However, West Allotment Celtic (and the league in general) would receive a short-term financial boost (something that might secure the status of the club for a season or two) and, personally, I would love to see more money going into clubs at a grassroots level through the participation of bigger clubs.

I am also supportive of a buddy-system where bigger clubs partner up with two or three smaller clubs and disperse their reserve and youth teams accordingly.

While I support the idea of Premier Reserves in an expanded football league, I also like the idea of a 'buddy-system' Premier League teams not just linking up but buying into non-League clubs, I don't know, a setup like the Minor Leagues in Baseball in America, but have it so clubs can only buy into a certain level, so a Premier League/Championship team cannot invest in a team higher than Step 3 nd not more than 1 club at the same level, so for example, Newcastle can invest an interest in say, Blyth Spartans at Step 3, Spennymoor at Step 4, North Shields at Step 5, West Allotment at Step 6, big teams can then disperse there squad players and youth players throughout the National League System to give them competitive games at different levels