Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
|
North East Bus & Coach Show 2023
08 May 2023, 11:18 am,
RE: North East Bus & Coach Show 2023
(07 May 2023, 3:30 pm)Charles41 wrote Took a trip to Tanfield Railway at about 11 from the rally site and spent over an hour looking round. Railway is very nice. Decided to get bus back to rally. Advertised service did not serve the railway so was stuck for nearly two hours waiting to get back to the rally. Got back at half three just as things were packing up.

Once again absolutely diabolical organisation with no oversite by NEBPT volunteers and no signage. I noted a guy with two very young children waiting over two hours at Tanfield for a bus back. Completely unacceptable. Three young lads waited well over an hour at Tanfield before getting on the scheduled service bus to Newcastle.

Interesting vehicles and good stalls at the rally but yet again they seem unable to run a piss up in a brewery.

Charles

This is a real issue, and in fact, potentially a safeguarding issue. If you're shuttling people between one place and two others, then for me it's crucial that not only a timetable is in place, but that the last advertised trips are well publicised. 

Having been to many rallies outside of the North East, it's always baffled me why it's so difficult to put a published timetable together. I was over Whitehaven last week and their shuttle service was ran like a military operation. 

(08 May 2023, 9:56 am)Busu284 wrote So my thoughts on the rally

I helped out on two of the shuttle. It seemed that the South Shields Daimler, JH59 COM & ENX from the JH fleet only did runs. Gne pi##ed about sending there buses back and forwards which weren't even washed. The stagecoach decker didn't even do the proper shuttle and decided to do scottswood road. 

I was on the West Yorkshire bus helping him get to Beamish & back. Not because the nebpt are unorganised. I was helping out with them. The driver did not know his way and I helped. We went to Tanfield & Beamish but got stopped at Beamish as the driver didn't want to head back to Tanfield due to him not wanting to kill it on the hills again. The stagecoach bus was meant to be heading to Beamish but never did cause he "didn't want to" the dceker was full because of that driver. Gne sat and screwed about during the rally. Not 1 single shuttle they did at all. They faffed about running them back and forwards on stupid journeys when they could have helped doing shuttle. The buses weren't even clean which was just pathetic. Then just to make it worse the X50 woman completely went and ruined it by shouting at everyone cause she wanted her own way. 

If gne had have helped out on a shuttle service then it would have been fine. But no they sat and faffed about doing absolutely nothing. Constant trips back and forwards. Fgs at one point 5808 was at the rally. Disappeared then they came back with 5801 instead. Whatever the hell gne were thinking yesterday was pathetic. No wonder the nebpt dropped them as support. Jh Coaches were sat doing most of the shuttle work since gne didn't. Like for a company like gne who claim there the best out there. Yesterday was pathetic. 3 buses (a merc with a few stickers about King Charles & a Voltra (which changed twice) a mucky looking Scania and a random OmniDekka) non of which were clean. The rally yesterday would have been better. If gne had have helped out on shuttle. The nebpt aren't organised. They ask who wants to do a shuttle and help park up the buses. Gne didn't even do one shuttle. The shuttle was fine but with Damiler & West Yorkshire & 2 jh buses doing it. Yes the West Yorkshire didn't come back to Tanfield cause he didn't want to which I can understand. But to berate the nebpt for bad organised. It was a good event and the nebpt do a fantastic job at the rallys and think good we actually have a rally season here. But no people sit and berate them for nothing it's pathetic

If you were helping him, did you not point out the hills were there? I'm sure they've been there for centuries and not just installed last week to kill preserved buses off.

From what I could see from the drone footage on Youtube, there were 20 preserved buses there. Half of them running on the shuttle service would have been almost a half-hourly service between the three points, if it was organised. Why don't you question that, when asking yourself why JH ended up running most of the shuttle services?

As for GNE/Arriva/Stagecoach. I'm not sure what the attraction is in them doing shuttle work, when you can ride on their buses any other day of the week to your heart's content. Surely the point of going to an event is to do something that you can't do every other day.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
08 May 2023, 11:32 am,
(08 May 2023, 10:47 am)Dan wrote Sounds like someone is a fan of Go North East...

NEBPT didn't drop Go North East as support for this rally - Go North East have dropped NEBPT from the organisations which they sponsor (and as such, NEBPT have removed them from publicity).

The four buses in attendance were a Voltra Yutong E12 (to promote the new electric buses), a Connections4 Mercedes Citaro (decorated for the King's Coronation), a Driver Training Scania L94 (which are being phased out, the last two to be withdrawn imminently) and a fleet livery Scania OmniDekka (also being phased out, most of this type to be withdrawn over the next few weeks). The two Scanias were there for enthusiast appeal, more than anything else.

The same comments are made every year with regards to this (and many other) NEBPT rally. The fact GNE didn't support the event with shuttle buses this year isn't the thing which resulted in the perception that the event was poor.

The funny thing with that is, for years many bemoaned that the event essentially became the "GNE Show" and yet now they bring a limited turnout, people still ain't pleased... not to mention that GNE, like the preservationists aren't obligated to provide the shuttles for the event (this is a whole other problem as by the sounds of things, it's whoever wants to do it on the day and hope someone actually wants to do so).

As harsh as it is to say, the fact there seemed to be so many issues with even just providing an hourly shuttle shows a lack of well thought out planning, I've been to various events across the country (often with more of an emphasis on running) and many seem to manage fine with providing a much more regular service often to various locations, even on day of the event they often still manage without incidents for the most part even when buses have had to pull out last minute or a breakdown occurs over the course of the day, at one event in Cornwall recently, I got off a bus in the middle of nowhere with no rally alternatives and felt fairly confident that a bus would stop to take me back into Penzance, I could not say the say for the stop at Tanfield and sure enough that's apparently what happened (I didn't attend yesterday).
08 May 2023, 11:36 am,
(08 May 2023, 11:18 am)Adrian wrote This is a real issue, and in fact, potentially a safeguarding issue. If you're shuttling people between one place and two others, then for me it's crucial that not only a timetable is in place, but that the last advertised trips are well publicised. 

Having been to many rallies outside of the North East, it's always baffled me why it's so difficult to put a published timetable together. I was over Whitehaven last week and their shuttle service was ran like a military operation. 

If you were helping him, did you not point out the hills were there? I'm sure they've been there for centuries and not just installed last week to kill preserved buses off.

From what I could see from the drone footage on Youtube, there were 20 preserved buses there. Half of them running on the shuttle service would have been almost a half-hourly service between the three points, if it was organised. Why don't you question that, when asking yourself why JH ended up running most of the shuttle services?

As for GNE/Arriva/Stagecoach. I'm not sure what the attraction is in them doing shuttle work, when you can ride on their buses any other day of the week to your heart's content. Surely the point of going to an event is to do something that you can't do every other day.
Right number 1. He decided it no me. So don't go say that I "should have pointed it out". No don't go do that cause tbh it was his idea. I ain't gonna argue or disagree 

2 maybe jh ran more shuttle cause they have "low floor buses to make it easier for more passengers " but no as per we put the blame game on the organiser event. No wonder Metrocentre probably won't happen next year. Neither will any event. Never seen so much hate directed towards a small organisation who runs rallys for the people to see. Only for the higer ups to go complain. Organiser a rally yourself. Its probably harder than any of us thought. Idk how hard it is but you all seem to complain left right and centre. I'm guessing we are all gonna complete forget that a woman in a high vi's yesterday working the X50 completely ruined it for everyone (or are we gonna defend her for shouting at a gne driver)
08 May 2023, 11:42 am,
(08 May 2023, 11:36 am)Busu284 wrote Right number 1. He decided it no me. So don't go say that I "should have pointed it out". No don't go do that cause tbh it was his idea. I ain't gonna argue or disagree 

2 maybe jh ran more shuttle cause they have "low floor buses to make it easier for more passengers " but no as per we put the blame game on the organiser event. No wonder Metrocentre probably won't happen next year. Neither will any event. Never seen so much hate directed towards a small organisation who runs rallys for the people to see. Only for the higer ups to go complain. Organiser a rally yourself. Its probably harder than any of us thought. Idk how hard it is but you all seem to complain left right and centre. I'm guessing we are all gonna complete forget that a woman in a high vi's yesterday working the X50 completely ruined it for everyone (or are we gonna defend her for shouting at a gne driver)

Does that stop you giving advance warning of the terrain? Sounds like you did an awful job of helping out, if you almost wrecked his bus.

I'm all for accessible buses on shuttle services; don't we now have preserved low floor buses? Did they do any runs to Beamish and back, or is it solely down to commercial operators? 

I do find it ironic that you're complaining, and then complaining about others complaining? Do you have a monopoly on complaining on bus forums?
08 May 2023, 11:50 am,
(08 May 2023, 11:42 am)Adrian wrote Does that stop you giving advance warning of the terrain? Sounds like you did an awful job of helping out, if you almost wrecked his bus.

I'm all for accessible buses on shuttle services; don't we now have preserved low floor buses? Did they do any runs to Beamish and back, or is it solely down to commercial operators? 

I do find it ironic that you're complaining, and then complaining about others complaining? Do you have a monopoly on complaining on bus forums?
Oh so it's apparently my fault. How the hell can u actually say that. Rather than maybe asking the route to Tanfield and beamish is all hills. No clear u think its my fault. What other route is there to Tanfield. He saw the hills himself. At least the driver said thank u for me direction him. He said he didn't want to hurt the bus. I did apologise for the hill. He said to me that I had nothing to say sorry for at all cause he looked at the map at Beamish and saw it was all hills. But no your putting the blame on me. Pathetic honesty. And oh no I hate other companies. No I don't. I have my opinion. Oh wait I forgot its 2023. U can't have an opion without someone complaining  tuest me there's worst people out there who would complain. 

From what i saw. 4 buses did runs thst being 

Jh59 com & enx from Jh Coaches 

The South Shields Daimler & the west Yorkshire bus (which apparently in your words was my fault)

Amd lastly everyone complained on this fourm. I'm not the only 1. I just don't like the way gne operates but they have a chance to go pick on the other companies when they do bad soooooooo

Can't believe how bad this is getting cause I had an opinion on the rally yesterday. Jesus calm it down. I'll not say another word cause clearly I'm upsetting people hahahaha
08 May 2023, 11:57 am,
It's great when new accounts come on here and do nothing but complain
08 May 2023, 11:58 am,
I ain't complain. I'm having an opinion but clearly that ain't allowed. It's quite funny like
08 May 2023, 12:04 pm,
(08 May 2023, 11:58 am)Busu284 wrote I ain't complain. I'm having an opinion but clearly that ain't allowed. It's quite funny like

Quote one part of your post that wasn't a complaint....
08 May 2023, 12:04 pm,
(08 May 2023, 11:36 am)Busu284 wrote Right number 1. He decided it no me. So don't go say that I "should have pointed it out". No don't go do that cause tbh it was his idea. I ain't gonna argue or disagree 

The blame lies squarely at the feet of the NEBPT, if the organisation of the event is a complete shambles, which it is usually. Playing the 'if you think you can do better, then organise it yourself' card doesn't wash, I'm afraid. It is their event and they have the authority over what transpires. If preservationists don't want to do runs up to Beamish, then that's fine, the event organiser can instruct them to park where the static displays are parked. If the same preservationists (or operators- not to leave them out of this) only want to do private runs to impress their ghoulish sycophantic acolytes, the organiser can exert their authority to prevent this from happening by explaining that once they leave the site, they cannot return. It is well within the remit of the organiser to do this as they are responsible for health and safety on site for the day.
08 May 2023, 12:06 pm,
(08 May 2023, 11:50 am)Aaron21 wrote Oh so it's apparently my fault. How the hell can u actually say that. Rather than maybe asking the route to Tanfield and beamish is all hills. No clear u think its my fault. What other route is there to Tanfield. He saw the hills himself. At least the driver said thank u for me direction him. He said he didn't want to hurt the bus. I did apologise for the hill. He said to me that I had nothing to say sorry for at all cause he looked at the map at Beamish and saw it was all hills. But no your putting the blame on me. Pathetic honesty. And oh no I hate other companies. No I don't. I have my opinion. Oh wait I forgot its 2023. U can't have an opion without someone complaining  tuest me there's worst people out there who would complain. 

From what i saw. 4 buses did runs thst being 

Jh59 com & enx from Jh Coaches 

The South Shields Daimler & the west Yorkshire bus (which apparently in your words was my fault)

Amd lastly everyone complained on this fourm. I'm not the only 1. I just don't like the way gne operates but they have a chance to go pick on the other companies when they do bad soooooooo

Can't believe how bad this is getting cause I had an opinion on the rally yesterday. Jesus calm it down. I'll not say another word cause clearly I'm upsetting people hahahaha

I notice how you avoided my questions, instead opting to play the martyr.

As a reminder - 
  • From what I could see from the drone footage on Youtube, there were 20 preserved buses there. Half of them running on the shuttle service would have been almost a half-hourly service between the three points, if it was organised. Why don't you question that, when asking yourself why JH ended up running most of the shuttle services?
  • I'm all for accessible buses on shuttle services; don't we now have preserved low floor buses? Did they do any runs to Beamish and back, or is it solely down to commercial operators? 

I do think that NEBPT do a good job of putting these events on, but are perhaps badly let down by those attending then not wanting to participate. If I was running the events, personally I'd remove the advertisement of a free shuttle/bus service at all events. That way you're delivering what in practice actually happens, which is a load of static exhibits.
08 May 2023, 12:14 pm,
(08 May 2023, 12:06 pm)Adrian wrote I notice how you avoided my questions, instead opting to play the martyr.

As a reminder - 
  • From what I could see from the drone footage on Youtube, there were 20 preserved buses there. Half of them running on the shuttle service would have been almost a half-hourly service between the three points, if it was organised. Why don't you question that, when asking yourself why JH ended up running most of the shuttle services?
  • I'm all for accessible buses on shuttle services; don't we now have preserved low floor buses? Did they do any runs to Beamish and back, or is it solely down to commercial operators? 

I do think that NEBPT do a good job of putting these events on, but are perhaps badly let down by those attending then not wanting to participate. If I was running the events, personally I'd remove the advertisement of a free shuttle/bus service at all events. That way you're delivering what in practice actually happens, which is a load of static exhibits
I do understand. Sorry I miss read what you were saying. I'd do the same. Tbh a small shuttle round the area would have been alright. I did speak with them at Whitehaven. The only reason the Beamish/Tanfield shuttle was on was due to the Tanfield running train event & Beamish 50th Tramway. It was to connect the events so you could have time at each event. If Beamish wasn't on then she shuttle would have just been local
08 May 2023, 12:19 pm,
(08 May 2023, 12:14 pm)Busu284 wrote I do understand. Sorry I miss read what you were saying. I'd do the same. Tbh a small shuttle round the area would have been alright. I did speak with them at Whitehaven. The only reason the Beamish/Tanfield shuttle was on was due to the Tanfield running train event & Beamish 50th Tramway. It was to connect the events so you could have time at each event. If Beamish wasn't on then she shuttle would have just been local

I too was at Whitehaven, and like I said above, the shuttles were ran like a military operation. I'm assuming that this is because they had buy in from those bringing buses well in advance and were able to timetable accordingly. 

It should be a learning point that a shuttle is only provided if there's enough buy in to put a timetable together. Otherwise, like I say, it shouldn't be advertised and instead it becomes a show of static exhibits.
08 May 2023, 3:00 pm,
(08 May 2023, 12:06 pm)Adrian wrote I do think that NEBPT do a good job of putting these events on, but are perhaps badly let down by those attending then not wanting to participate. If I was running the events, personally I'd remove the advertisement of a free shuttle/bus service at all events. That way you're delivering what in practice actually happens, which is a load of static exhibits.

Absolutely, whilst one can criticise NEBPT for how these events are organised, if they are led up the garden path by attendees not wishing to participate on the day, removing the advertised free shuttle service is one contingency they can implement for future events with immediate effect. Personally, I'd be very much in favour of this approach. At least, that way, you won't have people stranded in remote locations for seemingly hours on end.
08 May 2023, 3:29 pm,
(08 May 2023, 11:57 am)streetdeckfan wrote It's great when new accounts come on here and do nothing but complain
Maybe we need a banner at the top of every page that says "This is a bus enthusiasts' forum, not the complaints department."
[Image: imageHandler.php?user=wibblejunior]
08 May 2023, 3:41 pm,
(08 May 2023, 3:29 pm)wibblejunior wrote Maybe we need a banner at the top of every page that says "This is a bus enthusiasts' forum, not the complaints department."

Therapy is a lot more expensive than ranting on here though.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
08 May 2023, 3:54 pm,
North East Bus & Coach Show 2023
(08 May 2023, 3:41 pm)Andreos1 wrote Therapy is a lot more expensive than ranting on here though.

But when mixed with copious alcohol consumption, therapy may actually be cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08 May 2023, 4:15 pm,
(08 May 2023, 3:54 pm)Dan wrote But when mixed with copious alcohol consumption, therapy may actually be cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't moaned for ages!!!
08 May 2023, 4:30 pm,
(08 May 2023, 3:41 pm)Andreos1 wrote Therapy is a lot more expensive than ranting on here though.
Why'd you think that the 'annoying' threads were one of the most popular on here for a long while?! [emoji1]

Some used it to vent more than others... hehe... errhhh [emoji2357]
08 May 2023, 6:06 pm,
(08 May 2023, 9:56 am)Busu284 wrote So my thoughts on the rally

I helped out on two of the shuttle. It seemed that the South Shields Daimler, JH59 COM & ENX from the JH fleet only did runs. Gne pi##ed about sending there buses back and forwards which weren't even washed. The stagecoach decker didn't even do the proper shuttle and decided to do scottswood road. 

I was on the West Yorkshire bus helping him get to Beamish & back. Not because the nebpt are unorganised. I was helping out with them. The driver did not know his way and I helped. We went to Tanfield & Beamish but got stopped at Beamish as the driver didn't want to head back to Tanfield due to him not wanting to kill it on the hills again. The stagecoach bus was meant to be heading to Beamish but never did cause he "didn't want to" the dceker was full because of that driver. Gne sat and screwed about during the rally. Not 1 single shuttle they did at all. They faffed about running them back and forwards on stupid journeys when they could have helped doing shuttle. The buses weren't even clean which was just pathetic. Then just to make it worse the X50 woman completely went and ruined it by shouting at everyone cause she wanted her own way. 

If gne had have helped out on a shuttle service then it would have been fine. But no they sat and faffed about doing absolutely nothing. Constant trips back and forwards. Fgs at one point 5808 was at the rally. Disappeared then they came back with 5801 instead. Whatever the hell gne were thinking yesterday was pathetic. No wonder the nebpt dropped them as support. Jh Coaches were sat doing most of the shuttle work since gne didn't. Like for a company like gne who claim there the best out there. Yesterday was pathetic. 3 buses (a merc with a few stickers about King Charles & a Voltra (which changed twice) a mucky looking Scania and a random OmniDekka) non of which were clean. The rally yesterday would have been better. If gne had have helped out on shuttle. The nebpt aren't organised. They ask who wants to do a shuttle and help park up the buses. Gne didn't even do one shuttle. The shuttle was fine but with Damiler & West Yorkshire & 2 jh buses doing it. Yes the West Yorkshire didn't come back to Tanfield cause he didn't want to which I can understand. But to berate the nebpt for bad organised. It was a good event and the nebpt do a fantastic job at the rallys and think good we actually have a rally season here. But no people sit and berate them for nothing it's pathetic
I understand that as a result of “feedback” some GNE staff received at the event, GNE are considering ceasing to send vehicles to rallies. It doesn’t sound as if they are welcome.

The top end of the car park was taped off to allow car parking and the X50 to operate, but several of the rally buses just drove through the tape.

As it’s the NEBPT rally, hopefully all those commenting/complaining on here have also sent a written complaint to the NEBPT.
09 May 2023, 7:35 am,
(08 May 2023, 6:06 pm)busmanT wrote I understand that as a result of “feedback” some GNE staff received at the event, GNE are considering ceasing to send vehicles to rallies. It doesn’t sound as if they are welcome.

The top end of the car park was taped off to allow car parking and the X50 to operate, but several of the rally buses just drove through the tape.

As it’s the NEBPT rally, hopefully all those commenting/complaining on here have also sent a written complaint to the NEBPT.
One thing I've noticed in the 'bus scene' is that there's a lot of arrogance and sense of entitlement. It's one of the reasons I hate going to the events.

When I was younger my father and his friend had a bus on display at the MetroCentre and I hated every minute of being there.

Our bus was a converted camper and one of the bedrooms had a sign on it saying no entry, and people completely ignored it and went in anyway.

I don't think I was older than 10 and I was getting shoved out of the way by people so they could get their crappy photo.

Honestly, the only positive memory I have of it was my haul of Arriva merch!

I had wondered if things had changed, but reading this it doesn't sound like it!

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk