Rate Thread
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
|
Go North East September 2023 changes
06 Sep 2023, 8:08 am,
RE: Go North East September 2023 changes
(04 Sep 2023, 11:18 pm)Ambassador wrote They’re emergency works, due to finish by 8th September, started in phases since July

The gas works Rapidsnap references start on 11 September for 26 weeks.
06 Sep 2023, 8:52 am,
(06 Sep 2023, 6:22 am)busmanT wrote Aren't the running times the same as Arriva's were? 

I travelled on the 355 twice yesterday and it's very slack - the 354 I travelled on was delayed by a few minutes, but that was due to passengers asking the driver questions about tickets, fares, times as they boarded.

No idea. That's why I said 'rumours'.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
06 Sep 2023, 9:05 am,
(06 Sep 2023, 6:22 am)busmanT wrote Aren't the running times the same as Arriva's were?

I travelled on the 355 twice yesterday and it's very slack - the 354 I travelled on was delayed by a few minutes, but that was due to passengers asking the driver questions about tickets, fares, times as they boarded.

The Arriva services had the same problems at peak times, they just weren't as noticeable as they were regulated at Haymarket with other services, similar to what happens at Blyth.

(06 Sep 2023, 6:48 am)Shrek wrote That's what's wrong with public transport up here. When there's criticism where something goes wrong, certain companies simply point out another company is worse. Any issues should be a concern to be looked at. I'd not last five minutes in my job if I simply pointed out there's worse out there.

Totally agreed, sure people who need to use the 354 for whatever reason are fine because the 37 is worse. No they'd be using the car instead.

The complete ironic thing is the 37 was perfectly on time since it has 12 minutes to get from the Freeman to Four Lane Ends (realistic) rather than the unrealistic 6 minutes on the 352 - https://bustimes.org/services/37-denton-.../473454380

Well done Stagecoach for having appropiate timetables...

(06 Sep 2023, 8:00 am)EastCoastMXZ1751 wrote All These are peak journeys so surely its to be expected that peak time journeys will be late

Not really, timetables should take account of peak times. Someone working all day won't be thinking, oh it's alright they're peak services why my bus is 10 minutes is late every day. In fact every other service is completely irrelevant to them. If the bus is running 10 minutes late at peak time, that should be the timetable. Buses need more buses in their fleet at peak times but since that costs £££ they're not interested. It's not the only service that's the same either.
06 Sep 2023, 1:45 pm,
Go North East, the region’s largest bus company, has partnered up with Quorum Park this week to join the ‘Q Express’ scheme, which enables members of the park community to travel between Four Lane Ends and Quorum Park for free.

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/quorum-par...250JaDz5Xg
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
06 Sep 2023, 2:00 pm,
(06 Sep 2023, 1:45 pm)Michael wrote Go North East, the region’s largest bus company, has partnered up with Quorum Park this week to join the ‘Q Express’ scheme, which enables members of the park community to travel between Four Lane Ends and Quorum Park for free.

A shame one of the biggest companies on there have just laid off a load of people! 
(06 Sep 2023, 1:45 pm)Michael wrote Go North East, the region’s largest bus company, has partnered up with Quorum Park this week to join the ‘Q Express’ scheme, which enables members of the park community to travel between Four Lane Ends and Quorum Park for free.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
06 Sep 2023, 3:11 pm,
(06 Sep 2023, 9:05 am)Storx wrote The Arriva services had the same problems at peak times, they just weren't as noticeable as they were regulated at Haymarket with other services, similar to what happens at Blyth.

Totally agreed, sure people who need to use the 354 for whatever reason are fine because the 37 is worse. No they'd be using the car instead.

The complete ironic thing is the 37 was perfectly on time since it has 12 minutes to get from the Freeman to Four Lane Ends (realistic) rather than the unrealistic 6 minutes on the 352 - https://bustimes.org/services/37-denton-.../473454380

Not really, timetables should take account of peak times. Someone working all day won't be thinking, oh it's alright they're peak services why my bus is 10 minutes is late every day. In fact every other service is completely irrelevant to them. If the bus is running 10 minutes late at peak time, that should be the timetable. Buses need more buses in their fleet at peak times but since that costs £££ they're not interested. It's not the only service that's the same either.
It's easy to chuck buses at a problem though. All operators need to use what they have more effectively. I can think of an example where an operator actually CUT the frequency from 7/8 to 10/11 mins. Took out a bus and improved reliability by by utilising a couple school buses (which are already paid for), coupled with targeted a timetable change. 

If all operators have is a hammer, every problem is a nail.
06 Sep 2023, 3:31 pm,
(06 Sep 2023, 3:11 pm)DeltaMan wrote It's easy to chuck buses at a problem though. All operators need to use what they have more effectively. I can think of an example where an operator actually CUT the frequency from 7/8 to 10/11 mins. Took out a bus and improved reliability by by utilising a couple school buses (which are already paid for), coupled with targeted a timetable change. 

If all operators have is a hammer, every problem is a nail.

Yeah no arguments about that, I was going to say interwork school buses into it. Not sure GNE have any school boards in the Newcastle area anymore though do they? It's not the only bus in the area that has similar problems but it seems recently instead of fixing it just involved moving buses about 3 minutes.

The Arriva X7 has had 'timetable improvements' about 10 times now and I honestly can't tell you what's changed, there's no extra running time, it's the same PVR, and they're still running 15 minutes late every day.
06 Sep 2023, 4:49 pm,
(06 Sep 2023, 9:05 am)Storx wrote The complete ironic thing is the 37 was perfectly on time since it has 12 minutes to get from the Freeman to Four Lane Ends (realistic) rather than the unrealistic 6 minutes on the 352 - https://bustimes.org/services/37-denton-.../473454380

Am I mistaken or have you just shared a link to a journey which was delayed by more than five minutes on arrival at its terminus, yet you’re commending them for having an appropriate timetable?

I’m sure if you look hard enough, you will find more examples like that. Possibly even worse ones.

I’m willing to bet that Stagecoach’s performance will be similarly hindered by the aforementioned factors, and so I’m not criticising. Merely pointing out the rose tinted spectacles some on this forum wear.

Of course, if congestion continues to result in issues then I am sure both GNE and Stagecoach will aim to resolve this at the earliest opportunity. They have an obligation to do so as part of their operators licence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06 Sep 2023, 5:02 pm,
Im just grateful for the service, even if it is late at times, if it werent for GNE i'd be snookered trying to get to my mothers who is really ill, i cant afford taxis and i dont drive, meaning i'd have had to get the 317, then the 12 or 40 to Byker, then the 63 previously relying on the 53, or the 306/308 to town, then the 55, i wont even entertain the Metro
Kind Regards
Tez
06 Sep 2023, 5:51 pm,
Seen a 355 coming up GNR tonight after 6pm and the loads looked fairly healthy.
06 Sep 2023, 7:28 pm,
(06 Sep 2023, 4:49 pm)Dan wrote Am I mistaken or have you just shared a link to a journey which was delayed by more than five minutes on arrival at its terminus, yet you’re commending them for having an appropriate timetable?

I’m sure if you look hard enough, you will find more examples like that. Possibly even worse ones.

I’m willing to bet that Stagecoach’s performance will be similarly hindered by the aforementioned factors, and so I’m not criticising. Merely pointing out the rose tinted spectacles some on this forum wear.

Of course, if congestion continues to result in issues then I am sure both GNE and Stagecoach will aim to resolve this at the earliest opportunity. They have an obligation to do so as part of their operators licence.

In fairness that was only delayed beyond 5 minutes because it's took a wrong turn at Dudley which is a problem in itself.

I'd be using the Metro if I lived around there personally anyway, the 37 has a much more realistic timetable at peak times though.
06 Sep 2023, 7:31 pm,
Reliability of the buses in general has been shocking over the last few days, regardless of operator!
Yesterday not a single bus I tried to get was on time, some didn't even turn up despite 'tracking' on the app, only to just disappear off the app as they were due. That was an Arriva 6, GNE X30, 49, X21 and 20 so not exactly limited to a single depot!

Then again, I'm not really sure you can blame them considering the state the roads have been in just with the cars, there's been a bad accident in Bishop pretty much every morning this week, you'd think they've reroute the A19 along here!
06 Sep 2023, 7:32 pm,
(06 Sep 2023, 5:51 pm)L469 YVK wrote Seen a 355 coming up GNR tonight after 6pm and the loads looked fairly healthy.

I saw a couple of 355 during the day coming into Newcastle looking fairly busy too. The two 354 I saw arriving into town had a total of one passenger.
06 Sep 2023, 7:38 pm,

Interesting PR spin by Quorum and GNE

Quorum pulled the plug on the 555 as the park is operating at limited capacity thanks to hybrid working as opposed to arriva deciding to pull the route ( which they would have done eventually due to Walkergate closing) and leaving quorum stranded.
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
06 Sep 2023, 7:57 pm,
(06 Sep 2023, 7:38 pm)Ambassador wrote Interesting PR spin by Quorum and GNE

Quorum pulled the plug on the 555 as the park is operating at limited capacity thanks to hybrid working as opposed to arriva deciding to pull the route ( which they would have done eventually due to Walkergate closing) and leaving quorum stranded.

The Q Express scheme (covering both GNE and Stagecoach) offers a far better service than the 555 ever did.

06 Sep 2023, 8:01 pm,
(06 Sep 2023, 7:38 pm)Ambassador wrote Interesting PR spin by Quorum and GNE

It's always existed the travel between Four Lane Ends and Quorum, used to use Q Card, it was brought it when they brought the Quorum Express buses on the X4/X5/X6 years ago.

Used to cost £1.90 for a return though but it's always been valid on the 56, 52, or whatever other variants existed.
06 Sep 2023, 8:34 pm,
Surely if theyre late they must be picking up quite a few passengers, and possibily an increased frequency may happen, and possibly later journeys to trial if the 6am-6pm timetables are being successful.

But I do think there is an everpresence issue with relaibility and I think its down to the constant frequency cuts, all the buses which StreetDeckFan mentioned Arriva 6, GNE X30, 49, X21 and 20 except the X21 to my knowledge has had frequency cuts.

I can name several more 2/2A/10s/21/60/56/X45/16/16A granted the 16/16A hasn't had frequency cuts but the reliability of the vehicles are at fault here. Even vehicles which have 12 mins layover at Park Lane like the 60 still regularly get bunched together. 2/2A are awful for bunching up.
06 Sep 2023, 9:20 pm,
(06 Sep 2023, 7:57 pm)Dan wrote The Q Express scheme (covering both GNE and Stagecoach) offers a far better service than the 555 ever did.

It's the same offer as they had before Arriva pulled out as the Q Card got you free journeys between Quorum and Four Lane Ends on 52, 62 etc. It's good that will still be available going forward. 

I would still argue in peak times the 555 was a better option as it generally ran to time, but it is a bonus for those arriving outside of peak times to have a free option.
06 Sep 2023, 10:31 pm,
(06 Sep 2023, 7:57 pm)Dan wrote The Q Express scheme (covering both GNE and Stagecoach) offers a far better service than the 555 ever did.

No it doesn’t. On paper yes…It offers more choices, outside of peaks but most folk travel at peak into Quorum 

If you’re working at Verisure, up in Q12 you used to be able to get a dedicated bus to the door at times that suited your working pattern. Now unless you catch the 18 you’ve got a 10 minute walk from the main entrance. The 555 was hugely popular but didn’t survive post covid world. 

The 18 covers the area but the timings don’t work for office based shifts at all.
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
07 Sep 2023, 10:05 am,
(06 Sep 2023, 10:31 pm)Ambassador wrote No it doesn’t. On paper yes…It offers more choices, outside of peaks but most folk travel at peak into Quorum 

If you’re working at Verisure, up in Q12 you used to be able to get a dedicated bus to the door at times that suited your working pattern. Now unless you catch the 18 you’ve got a 10 minute walk from the main entrance. The 555 was hugely popular but didn’t survive post covid world. 

The 18 covers the area but the timings don’t work for office based shifts at all.

IMO this is one of the biggest issues, and not unique to Quorum, but buses generally don't serve business parks. Despite them being typically the largest density of workers in one place. 

Look how long it took Follingsby to get a proper bus service, for example, or that the IAMP and Turbine don't have a bus service. Further afield, integra61 in Bowburn, there's a 20 minute walk from the Amazon site to the nearest bus stop.

In the case of the North Tyne Rockets not serving Quorum, I think it's interesting that this 'deal' has been announced after the service launch. I appreciate that things don't always happen in the order you'd perhaps prefer, but hopefully a service revision in the near future would see them diverted in? Not knowing the traffic around that park, is that even feasible? 

The other thing, and really this is more for Nexus, but our bus stop infrastructure is really poor. With the Quorum example, you've potentially got folk with a 10 minute walk down from Q12, in heavy rain, all trying to hunch up in a tiny and open front bus shelter. If you had access to a car, and that was your experience, you'd never bother again.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook