Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
|
Vandalism
19 Mar 2023, 7:33 pm,
RE: Vandalism
(19 Mar 2023, 5:02 pm)Adrian wrote 'could' being the key word. 

I'm presuming that Greater Manchester Police are trying to use the trumped up charge as a deterrent (and hopefully it works!), but they'd have to convince the CPS of it to get a case. Easier said than done.

I agree with what you say tbh except the trumped up bit.  surely if you chuck/drop/catapult something at a bus, metro, lorry or out else and it hit you must know there's a chance it could kill someone? Even if it put one group of ferral youth from doing it than its worth it.
19 Mar 2023, 10:19 pm,
(19 Mar 2023, 7:33 pm)Rob44 wrote I agree with what you say tbh except the trumped up bit.  surely if you chuck/drop/catapult something at a bus, metro, lorry or out else and it hit you must know there's a chance it could kill someone? Even if it put one group of ferral youth from doing it than its worth it.
Isn't that manslaughter? Rather than murder. 

I'm no Perry Mason like, but sure that it's only pre-meditation that counts as murder.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
20 Mar 2023, 8:07 pm,
If I chuck you off a tall building and I die is that murder oranslaughter? As I didn't mean to kill you... It was just a bit of fun
20 Mar 2023, 9:11 pm,
(20 Mar 2023, 8:07 pm)Rob44 wrote If I chuck you off a tall building and I die is that murder oranslaughter? As I didn't mean to kill you... It was just a bit of fun

No idea, but that's why we are sitting splitting hairs on a bus forum and not a mega bucks lawyer, supping champaign and nibbling on caviar!
20 Mar 2023, 9:46 pm,
(20 Mar 2023, 8:07 pm)Rob44 wrote If I chuck you off a tall building and I die is that murder oranslaughter? As I didn't mean to kill you... It was just a bit of fun

If you manage to chuck me off a building and you somehow die then I think that makes you either  incredibly unlucky or incredibly stupid.

Now if I chucked you off a building and you die, the charge would depend on whatever happened in the moments previously. For example, if I chucked you off in a fit of rage or lured you up to the rooftop with the intention of throwing you off, that would be murder. If we were messing about and you fell because of my foolishness, that would be manslaughter with probable verdict being death by misadventure. 

As said previously, it all comes down to intent, and the ability to prove that intent.
21 Mar 2023, 8:18 am,
My final though on this - if you chuck a lump of concrete off a bridge towards an oncoming bus what are you expecting to happen?
21 Mar 2023, 8:42 am,
Let's just pull out of Penshaw permanently.
No buses No vandalism.
21 Mar 2023, 11:27 am,
(20 Mar 2023, 9:46 pm)MurdnunoC wrote If you manage to chuck me off a building and you somehow die then I think that makes you either  incredibly unlucky or incredibly stupid.

Now if I chucked you off a building and you die, the charge would depend on whatever happened in the moments previously. For example, if I chucked you off in a fit of rage or lured you up to the rooftop with the intention of throwing you off, that would be murder. If we were messing about and you fell because of my foolishness, that would be manslaughter with probable verdict being death by misadventure. 

As said previously, it all comes down to intent, and the ability to prove that intent.
No proof,no case
Kind Regards
Tez
21 Mar 2023, 11:44 am,
(21 Mar 2023, 8:18 am)Rob44 wrote My final though on this - if you chuck a lump of concrete off a bridge towards an oncoming bus what are you expecting to happen?

Smashed window? Extra points for getting a direct hit on a certain part of the vehicle?
Doubt anyone but the criminally insane would want to kill someone. 

Mind, whether the thought that doing this could kill someone, well it probably doesn't enter their mindset of the people throwing the concrete.
21 Mar 2023, 11:59 am,
(21 Mar 2023, 8:18 am)Rob44 wrote My final though on this - if you chuck a lump of concrete off a bridge towards an oncoming bus what are you expecting to happen?

You were doing 35mph in a 30mph zone. I'm not going to write you a ticket, but here's an attempted murder charge instead.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
21 Mar 2023, 12:48 pm,
(21 Mar 2023, 11:59 am)Adrian wrote You were doing 35mph in a 30mph zone. I'm not going to write you a ticket, but here's an attempted murder charge instead.
I have no words for this!
21 Mar 2023, 1:28 pm,
(21 Mar 2023, 12:48 pm)Rob44 wrote I have no words for this!

Why? It's a valid argument and conducive to the point you're trying to make.

30mph zones exist for a reason and it is accepted that hitting someone with a vehicle travelling at a higher speed causes more damage, or even death. So if you're travelling at 35mph in a 30mph area, using your logic, it might be argued that you are a willing participant in a potentially murderous act as, in your own vernacular, what do you think would happen? Why would you do that in the knowledge that if you hit someone you'd cause more damage or even death?

Throwing concrete off a bridge may hit someone or something, or it may not. Speeding may cause an accident, or it may not. In both cases, the risk of causing injury or death is greater than it is if you weren't doing it. So therefore it is logical to conclude that speeding = attempted murder just as throwing concrete off a bridge = attempted murder.
21 Mar 2023, 3:05 pm,
I'd imagine the charge would be 2 seperate ones, Assault, and Criminal Damage, but as stated several times, its a case of proving it, especially difficult if the area is unlit,no CCTV, no witnesses ect
Kind Regards
Tez
22 Mar 2023, 8:32 am,
(21 Mar 2023, 8:42 am)Retro Nero wrote Let's just pull out of Penshaw permanently.
No buses No vandalism.
I doubt they'd want to leave Penshaw without a bus service just because a of few idiots being idiots.
[Image: imageHandler.php?user=wibblejunior]
22 Mar 2023, 10:25 am,
(22 Mar 2023, 8:32 am)wibblejunior wrote I doubt they'd want to leave Penshaw without a bus service just because a of few idiots being idiots.
Pretty sure Stagecoach did that for a good few weeks at Southwick a few years ago. Few days later GNE followed suit.

Seemingly, it worked.
24 Mar 2023, 11:27 am,
Vandalism
Came across this on Facebook:

[Image: 0a557582ed7a2004d5cad04a557af9a0.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 Mar 2023, 9:19 pm,
Seem to have been some more vandalism at Gateshead High Street this evening, anyone know what buses were hit?
11 Sep 2023, 9:36 pm,
Has the vandalism stopped as it was really bad in the beginning of the year and now everything just seem to have quieted down.
11 Sep 2023, 9:53 pm,
(11 Sep 2023, 9:36 pm)Unber43 wrote Has the vandalism stopped as it was really bad in the beginning of the year and now everything just seem to have quieted down.
Light nights? See what happens when it's dark at 4pm again.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
11 Sep 2023, 11:46 pm,
Gets worse as Halloween / Bonfire night approaches when the nights are dark, but not cold enough to keep them in.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.