Rate Thread
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
|
Reliability of Ashington's solos.
09 Jul 2023, 3:39 pm,
RE: Reliability of Ashington's solos.
Does anyone know about any information about 2830 as it hasn’t been out in almost a month

I’m assuming it has been withdrawn again?
09 Sep 2023, 8:20 pm,
Not sure why 2837 was withdrawn as that seems to have resulted in mini solos 2601/2/3 on the 57/A which is completely inadequate. 2837 even though was an 08 plate was one of the better solos, possibly due to having an easier life on the 555. Can see why they withdrew 2856 as that was never on the 57 but they should not have allowed there to be a situation where they are having to use the mini solos. 2859 has not been used since July so don't know how good that will be if it arrives at Ashington but not happy with the current situation as was on 2603 the other day with people standing and the seats are dreadful on those ones too.
09 Sep 2023, 8:36 pm,
(09 Sep 2023, 8:20 pm)Arriva7446 wrote Not sure why 2837 was withdrawn as that seems to have resulted in mini solos 2601/2/3 on the 57/A which is completely inadequate. 2837 even though was an 08 plate was one of the better solos, possibly due to having an easier life on the 555. Can see why they withdrew 2856 as that was never on the 57 but they should not have allowed there to be a situation where they are having to use the mini solos. 2859 has not been used since July so don't know how good that will be if it arrives at Ashington but not happy with the current situation as was on 2603 the other day with people standing and the seats are dreadful on those ones too.

2859 replaced 2837, and has been in service all week on the 35. I imagine ensuring no issues were present with it after repairing it, before sending it away on 57 duties. It looks to have been put onto there today (tracking as 2849 at the moment), and taken off due to late running which I'd assume is likely more due to a new driver rather than a vehicle issue given it managed the first cycle fine.

Don't agree with the allocation of 2601-3 on there either, though, I was on a trip on 2603 yesterday which also had standees. Given the amount of busy/bus full trips reported even on full size Solo's recently I think it's time they bit the bullet and started to put full size saloons on there, and in the evening they can simply be swapped for 2 of 2601-3 when they have finished their 434 boards. It was arguably a perfect opportunity to do that last week, when Pulsars were freed up by the closure of Walkergate.
09 Sep 2023, 8:49 pm,
(09 Sep 2023, 8:36 pm)mb134 wrote 2859 replaced 2837, and has been in service all week on the 35. I imagine ensuring no issues were present with it after repairing it, before sending it away on 57 duties. It looks to have been put onto there today (tracking as 2849 at the moment), and taken off due to late running which I'd assume is likely more due to a new driver rather than a vehicle issue given it managed the first cycle fine.

Don't agree with the allocation of 2601-3 on there either, though, I was on a trip on 2603 yesterday which also had standees. Given the amount of busy/bus full trips reported even on full size Solo's recently I think it's time they bit the bullet and started to put full size saloons on there, and in the evening they can simply be swapped for 2 of 2601-3 when they have finished their 434 boards. It was arguably a perfect opportunity to do that last week, when Pulsars were freed up by the closure of Walkergate.

Guess it depends what the long term aim is. The fact they've withdrawn newer Solo's would suggest that these don't have long left either and something is planned.

This is complete and outright speculation but SLS 1 - 22 in London are routeless at the end of the month which are 9.7m 66 Plate Streetlite's. People are expecting 14 of them to replace the ENS batch of Enviro 200 Dart's (which will also be routeless - doubt they'll end up here though) but there's still 8 of them with absolutely nowhere to go (no midibus routes in London) and it just happens to conveniently be the number of Solo's remaining in service up here ignoring the 3 short Solo's which are ideal for the 434. I'm not sure whether they can do the 96 but full length Streetlite's have been on in the past. I know it's a bit 1+1=2 sort of theory but wouldn't be surprised by it especially considering the number of Streetlite's we already have now at both depots.

Otherwise I have a feeling these will displace them out from other movements elsewhere (not sure what) even known there's the problem of no emergency door.
09 Sep 2023, 9:11 pm,
(09 Sep 2023, 8:49 pm)Storx wrote Guess it depends what the long term aim is. The fact they've withdrawn newer Solo's would suggest that these don't have long left either and something is planned.

This is complete and outright speculation but SLS 1 - 22 in London are routeless at the end of the month which are 9.7m 66 Plate Streetlite's. People are expecting 14 of them to replace the ENS batch of Enviro 200 Dart's (which will also be routeless - doubt they'll end up here though) but there's still 8 of them with absolutely nowhere to go (no midibus routes in London) and it just happens to conveniently be the number of Solo's remaining in service up here ignoring the 3 short Solo's which are ideal for the 434. I'm not sure whether they can do the 96 but full length Streetlite's have been on in the past. I know it's a bit 1+1=2 sort of theory but wouldn't be surprised by it especially considering the number of Streetlite's we already have now at both depots.

Otherwise I have a feeling these will displace them out from other movements elsewhere (not sure what) even known there's the problem of no emergency door.

The short solos (2601-2603) are no good on the 57/57a at all. I had 2603 on the 19:16 57a Departure from Whitley Bay, it was full to standing, and a fight almost started to boot. Standing capacity is non-existent either. It needs sorting stat.
09 Sep 2023, 9:58 pm,
(09 Sep 2023, 9:11 pm)solsburian wrote The short solos (2601-2603) are no good on the 57/57a at all. I had 2603 on the 19:16 57a Departure from Whitley Bay, it was full to standing, and a fight almost started to boot. Standing capacity is non-existent either. It needs sorting stat.

Must admit I haven't been on but not surprised, it seems bonkers that they're using them on them mind but nothing surprises me anymore around here. It's almost as if they're trying to give people reasons to use the train when it comes through for people close enough.

No doubt they'll find some investment next year though for the routes which wouldn't surprise me one bit.

I can't wait until the day not going to lie, will rarely touch the bus even known it involves a 10 minute walk to the station. Mind no doubt that'll be a shambles aswell somehow.
09 Sep 2023, 10:09 pm,
(09 Sep 2023, 9:58 pm)Storx wrote Must admit I haven't been on but not surprised, it seems bonkers that they're using them on them mind but nothing surprises me anymore around here. It's almost as if they're trying to give people reasons to use the train when it comes through for people close enough.

No doubt they'll find some investment next year though for the routes which wouldn't surprise me one bit.

I can't wait until the day not going to lie, will rarely touch the bus even known it involves a 10 minute walk to the station. Mind no doubt that'll be a shambles aswell somehow.

They need to either sort it out or pull out. It is that simple tbh. 

Given the issues with other recent new stations (i.e. a "large catchment" station with huge car parks that they expect everyone to drive to) I think the Northumberland Line will be a flip of a coin in terms of meeting the planners' and authorities' expectations. Heaton has a allocation of extra rust bucket Class 156s for the service, which are rather underwhelming now in terms of performance, noise and comfort these days.
09 Sep 2023, 10:12 pm,
(09 Sep 2023, 10:09 pm)solsburian wrote They need to either sort it out or pull out. It is that simple tbh. 

Given the issues with other recent new stations (i.e. a "large catchment" station with huge car parks that they expect everyone to drive to) I think the Northumberland Line will be a flip of a coin in terms of meeting the planners' and authorities' expectations. Heaton has a allocation of extra rust bucket Class 156s for the service, which are rather underwhelming now in terms of performance, noise and comfort these days.

aye totally agreed, I don't know why but I have a feeling it'll do better than some expect personally especially considering the Tyne Bridge works will be starting at the same time roughly which will cause an absolute mess, having the choice of using a train / Metro to miss all the crap could be popular I think.

I'd take the Class 156 over an 57 Plate Enviro 400 or Solo though Tongue
09 Sep 2023, 10:23 pm,
(09 Sep 2023, 10:12 pm)Storx wrote aye totally agreed, I don't know why but I have a feeling it'll do better than some expect personally especially considering the Tyne Bridge works will be starting at the same time roughly which will cause an absolute mess, having the choice of using a train / Metro to miss all the crap could be popular I think.

I'd take the Class 156 over an 57 Plate Enviro 400 or Solo though Tongue

The passenger flows will be interesting, but I am willing to bet usage from Seghill will be insignificant - which the transport officer at NCC thinks as well.

I preferred the Class 142 - they should have had bogies or steerable axels but they did give good views. Plus they had "character" (ducks). Metro-Cammell did seemingly pull off a blinder when they chucked together the 156 design, I'll give you that   Big Grin
09 Sep 2023, 11:11 pm,
(09 Sep 2023, 8:49 pm)Storx wrote Guess it depends what the long term aim is. The fact they've withdrawn newer Solo's would suggest that these don't have long left either and something is planned.

I can guarantee a full length Streetlite hasn’t done a 96 [emoji1787] I think length wise you might just get a short one round but much like the baby E200s you’d probably have issues with grounding on the lanes beyond Grosmont so I suspect they’d be no good. It’s only used to be contracted for a 16 seat but the schools dictate a larger vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

09 Sep 2023, 11:17 pm,
(09 Sep 2023, 11:11 pm)tyresmoke wrote I can guarantee a full length Streetlite hasn’t done a 96 [emoji1787] I think length wise you might just get a short one round but much like the baby E200s you’d probably have issues with grounding on the lanes beyond Grosmont so I suspect they’d be no good. It’s only used to be contracted for a 16 seat but the schools dictate a larger vehicle.

In a post Solo world, what would work best for the 96 and the school runs?
09 Sep 2023, 11:55 pm,
(09 Sep 2023, 9:58 pm)Storx wrote Must admit I haven't been on but not surprised, it seems bonkers that they're using them on them mind but nothing surprises me anymore around here. It's almost as if they're trying to give people reasons to use the train when it comes through for people close enough.

I would say that, despite agreeing that they shouldn't be allocated, I can see how they've been allocated given it's the first week that type has been allocated to Ashington. Since seating capacity is 23 plus standing (which will be some unrealistic number) *on paper* they probably are theoretically big enough. Additionally, the 57 boards simply call for an Optare Solo so if it gets to the last board out and one of 2601-3 is the only one available, that's what's probably going on the 0752. 

If there are consistent reports of them leaving passengers, which I saw yesterday, then I think we'll see reasonably quickly whether or not they plan on acting on it. However if drivers/passengers don't report them running at capacity then all the depot will have to go on is Ticketer information which will show a loading that, again on paper, they (2601-3) can theoretically carry.
10 Sep 2023, 7:06 am,
(09 Sep 2023, 11:17 pm)solsburian wrote In a post Solo world, what would work best for the 96 and the school runs?

Probably some wheel forward Streetlites perhaps pinched from Shires. They’d be the best type to send round there.

Ideally the council should link the 96 with a 16 seat school contract then you could run it all with a Sprinter. The only issue then is you’d need a spare which would inevitably end up on something completely unsuitable

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

10 Sep 2023, 7:27 am,
More issues with solos at Whitby 2863 managed till lunch time yesterday on the 95 before being taken off and replaced by 1438.

Whilst 2 solos were on the 81 yesterday.
10 Sep 2023, 11:37 am,
(09 Sep 2023, 11:17 pm)solsburian wrote In a post Solo world, what would work best for the 96 and the school runs?
Think about the best you could maybe go for is the Iveco Ilesbus i-City MAX which some of our region's independents have gone for: https://flic.kr/p/2nvX6Gr

Seating is for around 31 passengers from this interior shot / memory: https://flic.kr/p/2nvZzJ3
10 Sep 2023, 11:50 am,
(09 Sep 2023, 11:11 pm)tyresmoke wrote I can guarantee a full length Streetlite hasn’t done a 96 [emoji1787] I think length wise you might just get a short one round but much like the baby E200s you’d probably have issues with grounding on the lanes beyond Grosmont so I suspect they’d be no good. It’s only used to be contracted for a 16 seat but the schools dictate a larger vehicle.

Aye that's fair wasn't 100% sure either way, kind of agree though that it should be split. Seems pointless having such a large vehicle running a route which doesn't need it and the problems it's causing tbh.

(09 Sep 2023, 11:55 pm)mb134 wrote I would say that, despite agreeing that they shouldn't be allocated, I can see how they've been allocated given it's the first week that type has been allocated to Ashington. Since seating capacity is 23 plus standing (which will be some unrealistic number) *on paper* they probably are theoretically big enough. Additionally, the 57 boards simply call for an Optare Solo so if it gets to the last board out and one of 2601-3 is the only one available, that's what's probably going on the 0752. 

If there are consistent reports of them leaving passengers, which I saw yesterday, then I think we'll see reasonably quickly whether or not they plan on acting on it. However if drivers/passengers don't report them running at capacity then all the depot will have to go on is Ticketer information which will show a loading that, again on paper, they (2601-3) can theoretically carry.

Yeah can't disagree to be honest, and same here and no doubt there'll be a suit somewhere in an office clicking his fingers on why they're paying full wages when there's a bus sitting in a depot who ticks the boxes. No doubt the same person being miles away, never drove a bus, doesn't understand Ashington and only looks at balance sheets.

(09 Sep 2023, 10:23 pm)solsburian wrote The passenger flows will be interesting, but I am willing to bet usage from Seghill will be insignificant - which the transport officer at NCC thinks as well.

I preferred the Class 142 - they should have had bogies or steerable axels but they did give good views. Plus they had "character" (ducks). Metro-Cammell did seemingly pull off a blinder when they chucked together the 156 design, I'll give you that   Big Grin

Aye totally agreed about Seghill, think it might have an impact of the rest of the X7 though, I'll openly use it and I'm the far end of Delaval (usually 19 or 57 and swap to the Metro now anyway).

Class 142's were awful though, horrid leg room and on bonded track were painful ha.
11 Sep 2023, 7:13 am,
It appears to be a full normal Solo allocation on the 57/57A today.
11 Sep 2023, 4:18 pm,
(11 Sep 2023, 7:13 am)mb134 wrote It appears to be a full normal Solo allocation on the 57/57A today.

No 2602 is tracking today, unless it's the wrong machine.
11 Sep 2023, 7:59 pm,
(11 Sep 2023, 4:18 pm)solsburian wrote No 2602 is tracking today, unless it's the wrong machine.

At 8am when I posted, it was a full normal Solo allocation. 2602 was substituted on later.
11 Sep 2023, 8:03 pm,
(10 Sep 2023, 7:27 am)Ryland wrote More issues with solos at Whitby 2863 managed till lunch time yesterday on the 95 before being taken off and replaced by 1438.

Whilst 2 solos were on the 81 yesterday.

2863 was on the x3 64 rota today