Menu

Pages (29)    126 27 28 29   
markydh   04 May 2020, 10:36 am
(04 May 2020, 9:53 am)tyresmoke wrote Out of interest where did you see this? I've looked through the track access applications on ORR site and can't see anything?

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/industry-and-commercial/information-for-operators/sale-of-access-rights

You can access the consultation documents on this page. Not easy on a phone, as they are embedded in the website and not available for download.
tyresmoke   04 May 2020, 11:27 am
(04 May 2020, 10:36 am)markydh wrote https://www.networkrail.co.uk/industry-and-commercial/information-for-operators/sale-of-access-rights

You can access the consultation documents on this page. Not easy on a phone, as they are embedded in the website and not available for download.
Thanks! I'd forgotten all about the Network Rail site with Access Rights on too. Agreed their system is terrible.
I've attached the file if anyone wants to have a look at it but you've got to know how to read it and how the tables work.
Seems to be just chopping up the longer distance services into smaller manageable parts - I wonder if it is perhaps an experiment to see how it works before spreading it across the rest of the network. Splitting the Hexham-Nunthorpe into three parts is an interesting move, becoming Hexham-Newcastle, Newcastle-Middlesbrough and a Middlesbrough-Nunthorpe shuttle - perhaps paving the way for the frequency increase when (if) the new Park & Ride opens at Nunthorpe.
Good to see them asking for rights for a 2nd hourly Middlesbrough-Newcastle via the Coast but I can't see anything suggesting a new ECML service?
Attached Files
.pdf
Dec 20 changes 4.pdf (Size 116.81 KB Downloads 30)

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Michael   04 May 2020, 11:33 am
I'm not that good with trains, or the certain lines, Will Sunderland see a reduction in service or an increase?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
tyresmoke   04 May 2020, 12:29 pm
(04 May 2020, 11:33 am)Michael wrote I'm not that good with trains, or the certain lines, Will Sunderland see a reduction in service or an increase?
Proposed increase from one to two an hour each direction. Seems to suggest one will still work across Newcastle as a Middlesbrough to Carlisle - most likely this will be skip stop up the coast so may well only call Middlesbrough, Thornaby, Hartlepool, Sunderland and Newcastle onwards to Carlisle as the existing express?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Michael   04 May 2020, 12:37 pm
(04 May 2020, 12:29 pm)tyresmoke wrote Proposed increase from one to two an hour each direction. Seems to suggest one will still work across Newcastle as a Middlesbrough to Carlisle - most likely this will be skip stop up the coast so may well only call Middlesbrough, Thornaby, Hartlepool, Sunderland and Newcastle onwards to Carlisle as the existing express?

Thanks!, good news that they're increasing the frequency, but i do wonder if this will still go ahead, because of the impact Covid-19 has had on everything.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
markydh   04 May 2020, 1:37 pm
(04 May 2020, 11:27 am)tyresmoke wrote Thanks! I'd forgotten all about the Network Rail site with Access Rights on too. Agreed their system is terrible.
I've attached the file if anyone wants to have a look at it but you've got to know how to read it and how the tables work.
Seems to be just chopping up the longer distance services into smaller manageable parts - I wonder if it is perhaps an experiment to see how it works before spreading it across the rest of the network. Splitting the Hexham-Nunthorpe into three parts is an interesting move, becoming Hexham-Newcastle, Newcastle-Middlesbrough and a Middlesbrough-Nunthorpe shuttle - perhaps paving the way for the frequency increase when (if) the new Park & Ride opens at Nunthorpe.
Good to see them asking for rights for a 2nd hourly Middlesbrough-Newcastle via the Coast but I can't see anything suggesting a new ECML service?

Blink and you’d miss it, but if you read carefully, there’s a section which has ‘via Stillington Branch‘ as the routing. It’s just on one page but it does suggest that Northern haven’t dropped the idea.
pbjd   04 May 2020, 2:33 pm
The timetable changes this month see Horden (HRE) served from around midday Sunday 24th following some morning engineering works between Newcastle and Hartlepool (Pelaw and South Hylton for Metro), the station will be served by the stoppers, but not the new limited stop 1Hxx services introduced from the same date.
anvil1984   04 May 2020, 3:18 pm
(04 May 2020, 2:33 pm)pbjd wrote The timetable changes this month see Horden (HRE) served from around midday Sunday 24th following some morning engineering works between Newcastle and Hartlepool (Pelaw and South Hylton for Metro), the station will be served by the stoppers, but not the new limited stop 1Hxx services introduced from the same date.

That is not a guarantee. The engineering work is completely unrelated and Horden is showing as an unadvertised stop on places like RTT and the like as it acts as a placeholder when the station does actually open. If it shows as an unadvertised stop that doesn't mean the train will actually stop. Durham County Council still state  "Due to Covid-19, there will be a delay to the completion of Horden Station and it will not open in May as planned.". So it might open that date as it looks quite progressed but it might not due to paperwork
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
James101   04 May 2020, 5:34 pm
https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/se...ol-2842400

Bomb threatens thousands of pounds of improvements in Blackhall
James101   06 May 2020, 6:40 pm
https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Co...ale2=en_GB

New photos of Horden Station, should be ready for services as soon as normal timetables resume.

Does anybody know if the Hordon circulars are being diverted into the station or any other bus connections? Will be interesting to see how it impacts the coastal bus services.
Michael   29 Jun 2020, 11:42 pm
(04 May 2020, 12:29 pm)tyresmoke wrote Proposed increase from one to two an hour each direction. Seems to suggest one will still work across Newcastle as a Middlesbrough to Carlisle - most likely this will be skip stop up the coast so may well only call Middlesbrough, Thornaby, Hartlepool, Sunderland and Newcastle onwards to Carlisle as the existing express?

Will these changes still happen in December, due to Covid-19?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
tyresmoke   30 Jun 2020, 10:08 am
(29 Jun 2020, 11:42 pm)Michael wrote Will these changes still happen in December, due to Covid-19?
Yes I believe they are due to go ahead in December, being delayed from May introduction.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Michael   30 Jun 2020, 10:25 am
(30 Jun 2020, 10:08 am)tyresmoke wrote Yes I believe they are due to go ahead in December, being delayed from May introduction.

That's good to hear, glad they're still going ahead, i take it, they'll still use 150/153/155/156's?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
NewcastleOne   30 Jun 2020, 11:35 am
(30 Jun 2020, 10:25 am)Michael wrote That's good to hear, glad they're still going ahead, i take it, they'll still use 150/153/155/156's?
Just 156/158s. 150/153/155 don’t operate from Heaton.
Michael   30 Jun 2020, 11:38 am
(30 Jun 2020, 11:35 am)NewcastleOne wrote Just 156/158s. 150/153/155 don’t operate from Heaton.

Ah right thanks, i know nothing of trains Tongue

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Andreos1   02 Jul 2020, 3:51 pm
I've noticed more and more 4 car sets working locally recently. I get why they're doing it, but does anyone know if the stock is spare or recent arrivals from Yorkshire or the NW?
I've not kept track of what is paired up with what and with the fluid movements between depots, it woul probably be an exercise in pointlessness

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jimmi   02 Jul 2020, 4:37 pm
(02 Jul 2020, 3:51 pm)Andreos1 wrote I've noticed more and more 4 car sets working locally recently. I get why they're doing it, but does anyone know if the stock is spare or recent arrivals from Yorkshire or the NW?
I've not kept track of what is paired up with what and with the fluid movements between depots, it woul probably be an exercise in pointlessness

Think it's a result of reduced timetables, likes of Saltburn & Newcastle to Carlisle services are running hourly instead of two services an hour at present.
Andreos1   06 Jul 2020, 5:30 pm
(02 Jul 2020, 4:37 pm)Jimmi wrote Think it's a result of reduced timetables, likes of Saltburn & Newcastle to Carlisle services are running hourly instead of two services an hour at present.

That was what I was thinking, but wasn't 100% sure due to the movement of stock around the depots. 

Either way, it seems to make sense them utilising the spare stock and keeping them going - than letting them sit idle in the depot.

Ryland   08 Jul 2020, 10:04 pm
When are northern planning on increasing there services
Andreos1   23 Sep 2020, 4:32 pm
Interesting comments from 'slug'
Attached Files

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Andreos1   03 Nov 2020, 9:20 pm
https://www.networkrail.co.uk/news/netwo...w-library/

Another 142 lives on!

Ryland   30 Mar 2021, 9:57 pm
Wonder if the timetable will increase again after the 12th April

Saltburn to bishop line is still only hourly
peter   30 Mar 2021, 10:05 pm
(30 Mar 2021, 9:57 pm)Ryland wrote Wonder if the timetable will increase again after the 12th April

Saltburn to bishop line is still only hourly

Current timetable in place until 17th May (when the national rail timetable is due to change)
Andreos1   31 Mar 2021, 9:06 pm
I've noticed that they seem to be doubling the sets up again in recent weeks - on the Saltburn line. 
There was a long spell last year when they did it on the hourly frequency. That seemed to stop when the timetables were changed, but now it has started again

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Andreos1   08 Jun 2021, 10:23 am
https://media.northernrailway.co.uk/news...ob-seekers

If anyone is unemployed or looking for work, this scheme won't do you any harm.

Ryland   25 Aug 2021, 5:47 am
full line closure next weekend's 4th and 5th of September between Darlington, Middlesbrough, redcar, saltburn and Whitby. With no trains operating at all. Replacement buses will be in operations from saltburn to Darlington. Middlesbrough to hartlepool and Middlesbrough and Whitby
Andreos1   29 Oct 2021, 3:47 pm
I'd attach a photo...
Redcar Station has a huge sign up regarding a  proposed redevelopment for leisure and retail.
Available in whole or part.
NaylorsGavinBlack are looking after it. 

Nowt on their website though.

8222   30 Oct 2021, 12:56 pm
Anyone noticing there seems to be a lot of cancelations on the Durham Coast and Saltburn lines of late?

Aircraft flown on:

744, 77W, 772, E145, E190, E170, E175, E195, A319, A320, A320NEO, A321, A321NEO, A330-200, A330-300, A340-600 763, 752, 733, 737, 738, CRJ900, CRJ1000
Favourite aircraft: G-STBL/G-ZBKL

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Unber43   20 Aug 2022, 6:06 pm
I used Northern the other day from Newcaslte to Middlesbrough and back and I must say my past opinion on trains were not good tbh, however with an open mind I ventured into Central Station, I arrived on the Platform this is when we were told the train was cancelled, wasn't a big deal only had to wait 45, my only dread was that it was going to be rammed, nevertheless I came back and waited around 15 mins for my train, it was a 158 which was nice, managed to grab a table, USB's worked (that was nice) was able to open my laptop and do some work. Then on my return the train wasn't cancelled which was good, and it was a pleasure ride back. 

However compared to the bus I would say, I would pick the X10 if I had to get up early as the first X10 I think it around 1 hour 10 mins before the first train, and the last X10 is later than the train. If the X10 USB's worked all the time I wouldn't mind, aswell the train never seemed as busy as the bus it could be and probably is that it has much higher capacity, so it would be nice if the X10/X9 was reintroduced at every 30 mins to make sure there are enough seats for people, and not really 2-4 random people sharing a table. I do prefer the tables on GNE's buses as they do pull out and my laptop fits in it nicely compared to the train unless you're at the window. 

I think comfort was pretty even for sitting wise both sets of seats where nice, tho I did appreciate the headrests being higher and again the USB chargers working, I don't mind the extra 20-30 mins on the X10 but If I were to do that daily it would probably become quite draining. However if it was raining I would pick the bus as waiting in Central Station when its raining or windy is not very nice. 

Overall I think what needs to be improved is the flexibility, for instance I should be able to catch the ealier morning X10 to Middlesbrough from Gateshead/Newcastle and in the other way aswell from Middlesbrough to Gateshead/Newcastle. And be able to chose whether to get the train or the X10 I think possibly the trains and GNE should possibly partner up with the X10 going via Central Station with either the X10/Train every 30 mins down key parts of the line. But you could also advertise the connects e.g X10/Train to Seaham/Dalton Park 5 min walk to 60/65 connect with Murton/Seaham/Ryhope. Or X10 Dalton Park connection with the 61 to Murton, 65 to Seaham which connects with the 60, or X10/Train to Peterlee/Horden with the 209/210 connecting with the 206 or 208.
Adrian   20 Aug 2022, 8:56 pm
(20 Aug 2022, 6:06 pm)Unber43 wrote Overall I think what needs to be improved is the flexibility, for instance I should be able to catch the ealier morning X10 to Middlesbrough from Gateshead/Newcastle and in the other way aswell from Middlesbrough to Gateshead/Newcastle. And be able to chose whether to get the train or the X10 I think possibly the trains and GNE should possibly partner up with the X10 going via Central Station with either the X10/Train every 30 mins down key parts of the line. But you could also advertise the connects e.g X10/Train to Seaham/Dalton Park 5 min walk to 60/65 connect with Murton/Seaham/Ryhope. Or X10 Dalton Park connection with the 61 to Murton, 65 to Seaham which connects with the 60, or X10/Train to Peterlee/Horden with the 209/210 connecting with the 206 or 208.

Not sure I quite understand the points you're making, but in response: 
  • How early do you want the first X10 from Middlesbrough to Newcastle? First one gets in for 07.37 and it departs at 06.00. The first train doesn't get in until 08.05.
  • People have got the choice to get the train or the X10. They're not forced to give their business to one operator over another? 
  • Why would GNE run a bus from Eldon Square to Central Station in partnership, that then goes on to Middlesbrough empty, because they've all jumped onto the train? It'd never work as a two-way partnership, because one mode is much more convenient than the other.
  • Again with the Seaham/Dalton Park connections, I'm not sure why GNE would decimate their business on the Ryhope Road by offloading customers on to the train? I'm all for providing and advertising connections for onward journeys, but decimating your own business is a bit of a far stretch.

I do think there's room for partnership, but under the current model for buses and wider public transport, it isn't going to happen. They're all businesses with the aim to make money, and what you're suggesting is akin to a pub putting a sign on their door, telling people to go to the supermarket instead.

If we had a proper system of integration, then I think there is room for integration of bus and rail, but it should be to compliment each other. Buses to provide links to key stations for onward travel, in a similar vein to how Plusbus works. Having buses and trains running side by side, in some attempt of partnership, seems like a lot of wasted energy.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Pages (29)    126 27 28 29