Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure North East Bus Stations

North East Bus Stations

North East Bus Stations

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pages (11) Previous 13 4 511 Next
Malarkey

09 Dec 2014, 5:14 pm #61
(09 Dec 2014, 4:48 pm)aureolin I don't think the double stand for the 4/X1 would be a huge problem, if the bus station was used correctly. For some reason, the 4/X1 don't use the set down stands on either side of the bus station, which just leads to a congestion of people trying to board/alight two buses at the same time, on the stand. If the set down stands were used, anyone wishing to connect with an X1/4 would simply join the back of the queue, having walked through the bus station.

Not sure why these stands aren't used though? Only the 2A/2C seem to use them.

I would think its because it would cause more Congestion, for example what if the X1/4 moved onto the Stands currently occupied by the 2A/2C/23/37/50/82/83/85 and 86 on either side of the Bus Station, and you Two 4s and Two X1s come in wanting to be on the one Stand, it would be mental, hence why they are on the Double Stand and the Set Downs remain unused to ease the Congestion.
Malarkey
09 Dec 2014, 5:14 pm #61

(09 Dec 2014, 4:48 pm)aureolin I don't think the double stand for the 4/X1 would be a huge problem, if the bus station was used correctly. For some reason, the 4/X1 don't use the set down stands on either side of the bus station, which just leads to a congestion of people trying to board/alight two buses at the same time, on the stand. If the set down stands were used, anyone wishing to connect with an X1/4 would simply join the back of the queue, having walked through the bus station.

Not sure why these stands aren't used though? Only the 2A/2C seem to use them.

I would think its because it would cause more Congestion, for example what if the X1/4 moved onto the Stands currently occupied by the 2A/2C/23/37/50/82/83/85 and 86 on either side of the Bus Station, and you Two 4s and Two X1s come in wanting to be on the one Stand, it would be mental, hence why they are on the Double Stand and the Set Downs remain unused to ease the Congestion.

Adrian

09 Dec 2014, 5:22 pm #62
(09 Dec 2014, 5:14 pm)NEBCD Malarkey I would think its because it would cause more Congestion, for example what if the X1/4 moved onto the Stands currently occupied by the 2A/2C/23/37/50/82/83/85 and 86 on either side of the Bus Station, and you Two 4s and Two X1s come in wanting to be on the one Stand, it would be mental, hence why they are on the Double Stand and the Set Downs remain unused to ease the Congestion.

Not sure I follow... if the set down stands were used correctly, to allow alighting passengers to alight, before moving on to the correct stand, then there shouldn't be a problem? 

I can't recall what other services use stand A or D. I don't think any actually use stand D, other than the 4/X1, but the 8 uses stand A towards Chester? Having said that though, the 8 is due at 22 and 52 past the hour, and the 4/X1 in that direction is 8, 18, 28, etc. So there should never be a need for the 4/X1 to pick up passengers at any stand other than A or D.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
09 Dec 2014, 5:22 pm #62

(09 Dec 2014, 5:14 pm)NEBCD Malarkey I would think its because it would cause more Congestion, for example what if the X1/4 moved onto the Stands currently occupied by the 2A/2C/23/37/50/82/83/85 and 86 on either side of the Bus Station, and you Two 4s and Two X1s come in wanting to be on the one Stand, it would be mental, hence why they are on the Double Stand and the Set Downs remain unused to ease the Congestion.

Not sure I follow... if the set down stands were used correctly, to allow alighting passengers to alight, before moving on to the correct stand, then there shouldn't be a problem? 

I can't recall what other services use stand A or D. I don't think any actually use stand D, other than the 4/X1, but the 8 uses stand A towards Chester? Having said that though, the 8 is due at 22 and 52 past the hour, and the 4/X1 in that direction is 8, 18, 28, etc. So there should never be a need for the 4/X1 to pick up passengers at any stand other than A or D.

09 Dec 2014, 7:53 pm #63
Granted this was witnessed on several occasions on busy Saturdays (a couple of which in the Christmas shopping rush), but does anyone know how the absolute chaos in Eldon Square could be remedied?

On numerous times I've seen all stands just go into disarray; the last time was Saturday - I'd imagine it starts with a delay on one service which leads to it missing its stand which then leads to others going into different stands etc. - I have no doubt people have missed their services due to it; even with the poor Nexus chap who goes round announcing to all passengers where their bus is! Also considering there's only the one lane for buses to travel along the bus station it adds to the chaos. The other day two X1s turned up, one behind the other. There were 3 separate queues at Stand B, but the first service went into Stand E with the second offloading its passengers at the drop-off bay before going to Stand B. The following service picked up no passengers (despite standing there for 5 minutes) but the first one eventually made it up to B, loaded and was delayed even more getting out of the place!

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
northern156
09 Dec 2014, 7:53 pm #63

Granted this was witnessed on several occasions on busy Saturdays (a couple of which in the Christmas shopping rush), but does anyone know how the absolute chaos in Eldon Square could be remedied?

On numerous times I've seen all stands just go into disarray; the last time was Saturday - I'd imagine it starts with a delay on one service which leads to it missing its stand which then leads to others going into different stands etc. - I have no doubt people have missed their services due to it; even with the poor Nexus chap who goes round announcing to all passengers where their bus is! Also considering there's only the one lane for buses to travel along the bus station it adds to the chaos. The other day two X1s turned up, one behind the other. There were 3 separate queues at Stand B, but the first service went into Stand E with the second offloading its passengers at the drop-off bay before going to Stand B. The following service picked up no passengers (despite standing there for 5 minutes) but the first one eventually made it up to B, loaded and was delayed even more getting out of the place!

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]

Adrian

09 Dec 2014, 8:24 pm #64
(09 Dec 2014, 7:53 pm)northern156 Granted this was witnessed on several occasions on busy Saturdays (a couple of which in the Christmas shopping rush), but does anyone know how the absolute chaos in Eldon Square could be remedied?

It's a difficult one. 

I guess there will be occasions when buses needed to use different stands, or ultimately, the problem would be 10x worse, with buses backed up all the way on to Percy Street. Quite often though, you do see GNE buses go straight out the bus station and back round, after dropping passengers off at the set down stand. Two X1s trying to pick up at the same time is an operational issue though. I guess I'd like to see one of them be told to go NIS to Gateshead, and start picking up passengers from there. It should at least remove the gap in service to some degree.

If you want chaos, you should try Durham bus station. There are 11 stands - GNE have 4 stands (B, C, G and L), and Arriva have 6 (D, E, F, H, J, and K). It's not uncommon for Arriva drivers to just pull in the stand, take their cash, and clear off. Leaving the bus in the stand blocking a scheduled service from using it, forcing it onto another stand (usually one of the 4 GNE stands).

Adrian
09 Dec 2014, 8:24 pm #64

(09 Dec 2014, 7:53 pm)northern156 Granted this was witnessed on several occasions on busy Saturdays (a couple of which in the Christmas shopping rush), but does anyone know how the absolute chaos in Eldon Square could be remedied?

It's a difficult one. 

I guess there will be occasions when buses needed to use different stands, or ultimately, the problem would be 10x worse, with buses backed up all the way on to Percy Street. Quite often though, you do see GNE buses go straight out the bus station and back round, after dropping passengers off at the set down stand. Two X1s trying to pick up at the same time is an operational issue though. I guess I'd like to see one of them be told to go NIS to Gateshead, and start picking up passengers from there. It should at least remove the gap in service to some degree.

If you want chaos, you should try Durham bus station. There are 11 stands - GNE have 4 stands (B, C, G and L), and Arriva have 6 (D, E, F, H, J, and K). It's not uncommon for Arriva drivers to just pull in the stand, take their cash, and clear off. Leaving the bus in the stand blocking a scheduled service from using it, forcing it onto another stand (usually one of the 4 GNE stands).

Tommy1581

11 Dec 2014, 11:43 am #65
Ashington bus station isn't that good. Although its good for photography if you're in the right place... Stand C is a problem for the drivers, most of the time GNE's 19 drivers are stopping in the middle of the road and setting down and picking up passengers. Other times they try and block the X22.
Tommy1581
11 Dec 2014, 11:43 am #65

Ashington bus station isn't that good. Although its good for photography if you're in the right place... Stand C is a problem for the drivers, most of the time GNE's 19 drivers are stopping in the middle of the road and setting down and picking up passengers. Other times they try and block the X22.

Andreos1

29 Dec 2014, 2:55 pm #66
http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=6270&article=3623&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Ground surveys started on new bus station in Hexham.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
29 Dec 2014, 2:55 pm #66

http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=6270&article=3623&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Ground surveys started on new bus station in Hexham.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Malarkey

22 Jan 2015, 7:06 pm #67
Is anyone aware of any Modernisation work due to commence at Gateshead Interchange, as there were two Blokes, one booted and suited and the other in Construction gear talking about fencing and a few other things which I didnt catch, they also took a few photos of the areas which the work would be undertaken, the Area being between the Entrance/Exit of the Interchange if you were going to/from Newcastle, the end of the X66/58 Stand and the Layover area situated on the X66 side of the Bus Station, I apologise if these details are rather vague but they were talking rather quietly as I guess they thought I was trying to listen in on there conversation, which I guess I was when they were going in circles around me. 
Malarkey
22 Jan 2015, 7:06 pm #67

Is anyone aware of any Modernisation work due to commence at Gateshead Interchange, as there were two Blokes, one booted and suited and the other in Construction gear talking about fencing and a few other things which I didnt catch, they also took a few photos of the areas which the work would be undertaken, the Area being between the Entrance/Exit of the Interchange if you were going to/from Newcastle, the end of the X66/58 Stand and the Layover area situated on the X66 side of the Bus Station, I apologise if these details are rather vague but they were talking rather quietly as I guess they thought I was trying to listen in on there conversation, which I guess I was when they were going in circles around me. 

Adrian

22 Jan 2015, 7:55 pm #68
(22 Jan 2015, 7:06 pm)Malarkey Is anyone aware of any Modernisation work due to commence at Gateshead Interchange, as there were two Blokes, one booted and suited and the other in Construction gear talking about fencing and a few other things which I didnt catch, they also took a few photos of the areas which the work would be undertaken, the Area being between the Entrance/Exit of the Interchange if you were going to/from Newcastle, the end of the X66/58 Stand and the Layover area situated on the X66 side of the Bus Station, I apologise if these details are rather vague but they were talking rather quietly as I guess they thought I was trying to listen in on there conversation, which I guess I was when they were going in circles around me. 

They're installing zip wires from the roof, to catch eagle eyed enthusiasts with cameras in the act.

Adrian
22 Jan 2015, 7:55 pm #68

(22 Jan 2015, 7:06 pm)Malarkey Is anyone aware of any Modernisation work due to commence at Gateshead Interchange, as there were two Blokes, one booted and suited and the other in Construction gear talking about fencing and a few other things which I didnt catch, they also took a few photos of the areas which the work would be undertaken, the Area being between the Entrance/Exit of the Interchange if you were going to/from Newcastle, the end of the X66/58 Stand and the Layover area situated on the X66 side of the Bus Station, I apologise if these details are rather vague but they were talking rather quietly as I guess they thought I was trying to listen in on there conversation, which I guess I was when they were going in circles around me. 

They're installing zip wires from the roof, to catch eagle eyed enthusiasts with cameras in the act.

gtom

Banned

23 Jan 2015, 11:46 am #69
Could they be installing more anti-pedestrian measures to stop people walking infront of buses.

I know they were looking at more high profile lighting around the crossing area at the main entrance
gtom
23 Jan 2015, 11:46 am #69

Could they be installing more anti-pedestrian measures to stop people walking infront of buses.

I know they were looking at more high profile lighting around the crossing area at the main entrance

23 Jan 2015, 11:50 am #70
Probably talking cameras that target enthusiasts then talk through the non-existent moronic policy that Nexus have against bus enthusiasts that I can't find on Nexus' website or anywhere else.

Off topic alert: Also check out http://nexus.org.uk/bus and guess where the photo of the Phoenix Solo was taken...
omnicity4659
23 Jan 2015, 11:50 am #70

Probably talking cameras that target enthusiasts then talk through the non-existent moronic policy that Nexus have against bus enthusiasts that I can't find on Nexus' website or anywhere else.

Off topic alert: Also check out http://nexus.org.uk/bus and guess where the photo of the Phoenix Solo was taken...

gtom

Banned

23 Jan 2015, 11:57 am #71
(23 Jan 2015, 11:50 am)Tommy_1581 Probably talking cameras that target enthusiasts then talk through the non-existent moronic policy that Nexus have against bus enthusiasts that I can't find on Nexus' website or anywhere else.

The talking cameras are a Sunderland City Council initiative and nothing to do with Nexus or other North East councils (though Middlesbrough have/had them)

I don't think anyone can moan about Nexus photos, after all it will have been taken with expressed permission and on official guidelines which is totally different to an enthusiast
gtom
23 Jan 2015, 11:57 am #71

(23 Jan 2015, 11:50 am)Tommy_1581 Probably talking cameras that target enthusiasts then talk through the non-existent moronic policy that Nexus have against bus enthusiasts that I can't find on Nexus' website or anywhere else.

The talking cameras are a Sunderland City Council initiative and nothing to do with Nexus or other North East councils (though Middlesbrough have/had them)

I don't think anyone can moan about Nexus photos, after all it will have been taken with expressed permission and on official guidelines which is totally different to an enthusiast

Cock Robin

06 Feb 2015, 6:14 pm #72

Well said! (I can't find the 'like' button today!)
Cock Robin
06 Feb 2015, 6:14 pm #72

Well said! (I can't find the 'like' button today!)

idiot

13 Feb 2015, 2:55 pm #73
Traffic collision outside Park lane. Main entrance blocked. All services using stands a to c according to GNE twitter account
idiot
13 Feb 2015, 2:55 pm #73

Traffic collision outside Park lane. Main entrance blocked. All services using stands a to c according to GNE twitter account

16 Feb 2015, 8:06 pm #74
Question: is photography permitted in Stanley Bus Station? (or around it)

It's just I'm planning on heading that way tomorrow and wouldn't mind taking a few photos up there. I plan on standing at that spot at the very bottom of the station itself, (where the vehicles will drive towards after departing their stands) - and I'd rather be safe than sorry.
R852 PRG
16 Feb 2015, 8:06 pm #74

Question: is photography permitted in Stanley Bus Station? (or around it)

It's just I'm planning on heading that way tomorrow and wouldn't mind taking a few photos up there. I plan on standing at that spot at the very bottom of the station itself, (where the vehicles will drive towards after departing their stands) - and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Dan

Site Administrator

16 Feb 2015, 8:11 pm #75
(16 Feb 2015, 8:06 pm)MarcTheA4 Question: is photography permitted in Stanley Bus Station? (or around it)

I've had no issues in any bus station outside of Tyne & Wear. I've not heard of anyone else having issues, either.
Dan
16 Feb 2015, 8:11 pm #75

(16 Feb 2015, 8:06 pm)MarcTheA4 Question: is photography permitted in Stanley Bus Station? (or around it)

I've had no issues in any bus station outside of Tyne & Wear. I've not heard of anyone else having issues, either.

16 Feb 2015, 8:13 pm #76
(16 Feb 2015, 8:11 pm)Dan I've had no issues in any bus station outside of Tyne & Wear. I've not heard of anyone else having issues, either.

Thanks, Dan.

I was just on Google Maps, etc, then I saw that spot at the bottom and thought it looked quite quiet. Those stands at the bottom are never really filled with people like further up.

If I stand there for a few minutes, I reckon I might get a few nice photos. Big Grin

And then my Flickr won't make me look like a lazy ****! Tongue
R852 PRG
16 Feb 2015, 8:13 pm #76

(16 Feb 2015, 8:11 pm)Dan I've had no issues in any bus station outside of Tyne & Wear. I've not heard of anyone else having issues, either.

Thanks, Dan.

I was just on Google Maps, etc, then I saw that spot at the bottom and thought it looked quite quiet. Those stands at the bottom are never really filled with people like further up.

If I stand there for a few minutes, I reckon I might get a few nice photos. Big Grin

Kuyoyo

16 Feb 2015, 8:16 pm #77

As it's public land outside the bus station itself, you should be fine.

I've never had issues outside PTE areas - South Yorkshire area is one to be careful about but they do offer special passes to allow people to photo within their bus stations where you actually can (ie Sheffield Interchange, Meadowhall Interchange (although I managed to photo there while down there without anyone bating an eyelid).
Kuyoyo
16 Feb 2015, 8:16 pm #77

As it's public land outside the bus station itself, you should be fine.

I've never had issues outside PTE areas - South Yorkshire area is one to be careful about but they do offer special passes to allow people to photo within their bus stations where you actually can (ie Sheffield Interchange, Meadowhall Interchange (although I managed to photo there while down there without anyone bating an eyelid).

citaro5284

16 Feb 2015, 8:17 pm #78

I cannot wait for you to update us on your outings, I will be on tender hooks all day until I get home  Big Grin
citaro5284
16 Feb 2015, 8:17 pm #78

I cannot wait for you to update us on your outings, I will be on tender hooks all day until I get home  Big Grin

Dan

Site Administrator

16 Feb 2015, 8:17 pm #79
(16 Feb 2015, 8:13 pm)MarcTheA4 Thanks, Dan.

Word of advice with Stanley - it's difficult to do it on a sunny day.

It only looks like it's going to be sunny for a few hours tomorrow morning so it shouldn't be an issue, but if you're going to stand at that spot, you'd ordinarily be shooting against the sun. On a sunny day, best bet is to go there for about 15:00 and get some photos where I got the one of Pat driving 4852. 
Dan
16 Feb 2015, 8:17 pm #79

(16 Feb 2015, 8:13 pm)MarcTheA4 Thanks, Dan.

Word of advice with Stanley - it's difficult to do it on a sunny day.

It only looks like it's going to be sunny for a few hours tomorrow morning so it shouldn't be an issue, but if you're going to stand at that spot, you'd ordinarily be shooting against the sun. On a sunny day, best bet is to go there for about 15:00 and get some photos where I got the one of Pat driving 4852. 

16 Feb 2015, 8:18 pm #80
(16 Feb 2015, 8:17 pm)citaro5284 I cannot wait for you to update us on your outings, I will be on tender hooks all day until I get home  Big Grin

Oh citaro, wipe that sMERC off your face! Tongue

(Sorry, I've just had that one in my head for two days now and been waiting for you to post something funny!)

(16 Feb 2015, 8:17 pm)Dan Word of advice with Stanley - it's difficult to do it on a sunny day.

How could I forget! Wink
Edited 16 Feb 2015, 8:19 pm by R852 PRG.
R852 PRG
16 Feb 2015, 8:18 pm #80

(16 Feb 2015, 8:17 pm)citaro5284 I cannot wait for you to update us on your outings, I will be on tender hooks all day until I get home  Big Grin

Oh citaro, wipe that sMERC off your face! Tongue

(Sorry, I've just had that one in my head for two days now and been waiting for you to post something funny!)

(16 Feb 2015, 8:17 pm)Dan Word of advice with Stanley - it's difficult to do it on a sunny day.

How could I forget! Wink

Pages (11) Previous 13 4 511 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average