Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Pricing

Pricing

Pricing

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (89) Previous 186 87 88 89 Next
Adrian

24 Aug 2023, 6:23 pm #1,721
(20 Aug 2023, 9:30 am)RobinHood I suspect almost every bus operator in the country would take this now, rather than impose legal fights as per historic opportunities.

The guaranteed income from franchising, completely removing the risk from the commercial operation, I can only see as an attractive proposition for any of the major companies at this time, with the added opportunities for the littler ones of course.

That said, average person has literally no idea (or a completely misguided idea) of the actual costs to operate buses nowadays, and this includes local authorities and Metro Mayors. I estimate that it could be around £165,000 per year that is required to be generated in revenue, per bus, before any profit is being made at all (in an average size, large operator depot).

Those who dream or expect a return to 1985, with buses running everywhere again, will probably be disappointed, as I cannot see how it can be afforded. Once upon a time, there probably were bus networks that harbored massively profitable routes and had the ability to cross subsidise high numbers of unprofitable services if they were ran no-for-profit (which meant only low subsidy from the public purse needed to maintain stability or improve), but frankly I suspect that as we stand today, most operators are either still loss making or reliant on BRG funding still, just to tread water overall.

As a result of the assumptions above, I fear that franchising will cost significantly more than people realise to just provide the same level of service we have today, nevermind improvements. Anything above the current provision, such as more early, late and weekend services, and/or cheaper fares, will consistently require millions (or billions) from the public purse to achieve it. Its simply not sustainable unless we all pay for it via income tax or even a new 'transport tax' for those in franchised areas.

At the end of the day, the bus operator risk is much lower in this situation than it was 10 years ago and will most likely jump at a fixed margin position in the current climate. They will bid at prices that work for them (which may be massive double digit % margins), as there wont be a shortage of work compared to operators available. Operators who put in those high margin prices will still likely 'win' enough work to ensure they can utilise their resources in full, due to the lack of suppliers in comparison to the opportunity requirement. I cannot see that changing and the only loser is the person who needs to pay for it.

I'd say there also seems to be a misguided idea within the bus industry, that the public sector just can't deliver a publicly ran transport network. Please don't get me wrong, as I'm not referring to your post, but quite often I read industry managers or commentators, spending more time talking down the ability of the public sector, than they've ever spent trying to work in partnership with them. 

Every business has operating costs, and I'm sure the people who understand them and can do the numbers on them, aren't unique to working for bus operators. Public money comes under a lot more scrutiny than any private company will ever have, and it's why the numbers have to be right.

I don't think people see franchising or public ownership of transport as a return to 1985. Maybe that is reserved to some enthusiast groups, but when speaking to the public about this, it's always extremely popular because they feel that the private sector has failed them. This is important, because it's not a case of someone waving money at the public in hope of a bit, it's people who are utterly desperate for a solution. I don't think anyone is under the illusion that this is going to be an instant and easy fix, with a return to the masses of routes we had back in the 1980s, but the network by large needs a complete overhaul. Having one transport network of Buses, Metro and Heavy Rail will be key to that; a network of modes that compliment each other.

I completely agree on cross-subsidy, and I think that'll be difficult in the short term at least, but at least we'd be in a position where we are cross-subsidising services, rather than openly admitting that one village can't have a bus, as it impacts the profit margin on another service. That attitude has been one of the biggest issues since deregulation. 

Like other public services, there's no denying that the delivery of this will require a lot of public funding, but as with rail, the policy is extremely popular with the electorate nationally. We shouldn't shy away from infrastructure funding, just because it's going to cost public money. The devolution deal opens up close to £1bn in ringfenced Transport funding in the first 5 years, with settlements beyond that for the life of the deal. In terms of contributions though, Tyne and Wear of course already pay into a transport levy, but I understand Durham and Northumberland will follow suit with that. 

In an ideal world, we'd have the same powers as London has on retaining business rate receipts, but that's something not in our deal. The Metro Mayor will however have power to introduce a business rate supplement, which is supposed to cover expenditure on a project or projects that will promote economic development in the area. I guess it remains to be seen how that'll be used, but a good example of it would be applying it to businesses at the IAMP and Follingsby, in order to bring the Metro in.

I'm a bit confused by your final paragraph, as what you suggest with everyone entering bids with 'massive double digit % margins', would surely amount to price fixing? I'd envisage (and hope!) that we'd have a competitive process, whereby we end up with operators that genuinely want to deliver a good service on their routes. If not, then I think it furthers the argument to get the ban on municipal bus operators removed from law.

(24 Aug 2023, 8:07 am)RobinHood TNE can barely afford the day tickets they are planning to implement, nevermind weekly versions.

Enjoy it, as come March 25, prices back to normal as the level of funding needed cannot be maintained.

Of course the big difference by the time that becomes a problem, is that the North East (LA7) region is electing it's first directly elected Metro Mayor. With that devolution settlement, comes the biggest shift of power back to public control for decades. It also opens up close to £1bn in ringfenced Transport funding in the first 5 years, with settlements beyond that for the life of the deal. It also, and separately, includes funding for the Metro.

The Metro Mayor will not only have the powers to franchise buses, but they've also got the power to devolve BSOG funding to be under the authority's control, along with the powers and Government-committed assistance to getting the likes of Network Rail & TOCs to buy in.

It of course remains a scenario that 'come March 25', but it sounds like an unlikely one at that. 

(24 Aug 2023, 8:28 am)Storx I'm assuming they'll have more money then though as Labour will very likely be in power and will use it as a reason why voting Kim in as mayor or why you should choose Labour next time around. Can't see them wanting the PR mess of losing those tickets and unless something major happens there's not a cat in hell chance the Tories are getting a majority at the next election.

Kim will do whatever her Keir Starver and Party HQ tell her to do. She of course pledges to bring buses back under public control, but Jamie Driscoll (Independent) pledges to go a step further with a Total Transport Network. 

Unless something goes completely wrong, it'll be either Kim or Jamie that win the post next May, so I think it's a case of when - not if.

(24 Aug 2023, 5:31 pm)Bazza Is the cap not being raised at the end of October to £2.50 and extended for another 12 months?

Different sources of funding. The £2/£2.50 fare cap is a scheme that the UK Government are funding directly. RobinHood, I believe, is referring to the BSIP funding pot for TNE. Of which the multi-modal day tickets are being funded from. The BSIP covering a three-year period which ends in March 2025.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
24 Aug 2023, 6:23 pm #1,721

(20 Aug 2023, 9:30 am)RobinHood I suspect almost every bus operator in the country would take this now, rather than impose legal fights as per historic opportunities.

The guaranteed income from franchising, completely removing the risk from the commercial operation, I can only see as an attractive proposition for any of the major companies at this time, with the added opportunities for the littler ones of course.

That said, average person has literally no idea (or a completely misguided idea) of the actual costs to operate buses nowadays, and this includes local authorities and Metro Mayors. I estimate that it could be around £165,000 per year that is required to be generated in revenue, per bus, before any profit is being made at all (in an average size, large operator depot).

Those who dream or expect a return to 1985, with buses running everywhere again, will probably be disappointed, as I cannot see how it can be afforded. Once upon a time, there probably were bus networks that harbored massively profitable routes and had the ability to cross subsidise high numbers of unprofitable services if they were ran no-for-profit (which meant only low subsidy from the public purse needed to maintain stability or improve), but frankly I suspect that as we stand today, most operators are either still loss making or reliant on BRG funding still, just to tread water overall.

As a result of the assumptions above, I fear that franchising will cost significantly more than people realise to just provide the same level of service we have today, nevermind improvements. Anything above the current provision, such as more early, late and weekend services, and/or cheaper fares, will consistently require millions (or billions) from the public purse to achieve it. Its simply not sustainable unless we all pay for it via income tax or even a new 'transport tax' for those in franchised areas.

At the end of the day, the bus operator risk is much lower in this situation than it was 10 years ago and will most likely jump at a fixed margin position in the current climate. They will bid at prices that work for them (which may be massive double digit % margins), as there wont be a shortage of work compared to operators available. Operators who put in those high margin prices will still likely 'win' enough work to ensure they can utilise their resources in full, due to the lack of suppliers in comparison to the opportunity requirement. I cannot see that changing and the only loser is the person who needs to pay for it.

I'd say there also seems to be a misguided idea within the bus industry, that the public sector just can't deliver a publicly ran transport network. Please don't get me wrong, as I'm not referring to your post, but quite often I read industry managers or commentators, spending more time talking down the ability of the public sector, than they've ever spent trying to work in partnership with them. 

Every business has operating costs, and I'm sure the people who understand them and can do the numbers on them, aren't unique to working for bus operators. Public money comes under a lot more scrutiny than any private company will ever have, and it's why the numbers have to be right.

I don't think people see franchising or public ownership of transport as a return to 1985. Maybe that is reserved to some enthusiast groups, but when speaking to the public about this, it's always extremely popular because they feel that the private sector has failed them. This is important, because it's not a case of someone waving money at the public in hope of a bit, it's people who are utterly desperate for a solution. I don't think anyone is under the illusion that this is going to be an instant and easy fix, with a return to the masses of routes we had back in the 1980s, but the network by large needs a complete overhaul. Having one transport network of Buses, Metro and Heavy Rail will be key to that; a network of modes that compliment each other.

I completely agree on cross-subsidy, and I think that'll be difficult in the short term at least, but at least we'd be in a position where we are cross-subsidising services, rather than openly admitting that one village can't have a bus, as it impacts the profit margin on another service. That attitude has been one of the biggest issues since deregulation. 

Like other public services, there's no denying that the delivery of this will require a lot of public funding, but as with rail, the policy is extremely popular with the electorate nationally. We shouldn't shy away from infrastructure funding, just because it's going to cost public money. The devolution deal opens up close to £1bn in ringfenced Transport funding in the first 5 years, with settlements beyond that for the life of the deal. In terms of contributions though, Tyne and Wear of course already pay into a transport levy, but I understand Durham and Northumberland will follow suit with that. 

In an ideal world, we'd have the same powers as London has on retaining business rate receipts, but that's something not in our deal. The Metro Mayor will however have power to introduce a business rate supplement, which is supposed to cover expenditure on a project or projects that will promote economic development in the area. I guess it remains to be seen how that'll be used, but a good example of it would be applying it to businesses at the IAMP and Follingsby, in order to bring the Metro in.

I'm a bit confused by your final paragraph, as what you suggest with everyone entering bids with 'massive double digit % margins', would surely amount to price fixing? I'd envisage (and hope!) that we'd have a competitive process, whereby we end up with operators that genuinely want to deliver a good service on their routes. If not, then I think it furthers the argument to get the ban on municipal bus operators removed from law.

(24 Aug 2023, 8:07 am)RobinHood TNE can barely afford the day tickets they are planning to implement, nevermind weekly versions.

Enjoy it, as come March 25, prices back to normal as the level of funding needed cannot be maintained.

Of course the big difference by the time that becomes a problem, is that the North East (LA7) region is electing it's first directly elected Metro Mayor. With that devolution settlement, comes the biggest shift of power back to public control for decades. It also opens up close to £1bn in ringfenced Transport funding in the first 5 years, with settlements beyond that for the life of the deal. It also, and separately, includes funding for the Metro.

The Metro Mayor will not only have the powers to franchise buses, but they've also got the power to devolve BSOG funding to be under the authority's control, along with the powers and Government-committed assistance to getting the likes of Network Rail & TOCs to buy in.

It of course remains a scenario that 'come March 25', but it sounds like an unlikely one at that. 

(24 Aug 2023, 8:28 am)Storx I'm assuming they'll have more money then though as Labour will very likely be in power and will use it as a reason why voting Kim in as mayor or why you should choose Labour next time around. Can't see them wanting the PR mess of losing those tickets and unless something major happens there's not a cat in hell chance the Tories are getting a majority at the next election.

Kim will do whatever her Keir Starver and Party HQ tell her to do. She of course pledges to bring buses back under public control, but Jamie Driscoll (Independent) pledges to go a step further with a Total Transport Network. 

Unless something goes completely wrong, it'll be either Kim or Jamie that win the post next May, so I think it's a case of when - not if.

(24 Aug 2023, 5:31 pm)Bazza Is the cap not being raised at the end of October to £2.50 and extended for another 12 months?

Different sources of funding. The £2/£2.50 fare cap is a scheme that the UK Government are funding directly. RobinHood, I believe, is referring to the BSIP funding pot for TNE. Of which the multi-modal day tickets are being funded from. The BSIP covering a three-year period which ends in March 2025.

RobinHood

24 Aug 2023, 6:50 pm #1,722
(24 Aug 2023, 6:23 pm)Adrian I'm a bit confused by your final paragraph, as what you suggest with everyone entering bids with 'massive double digit % margins', would surely amount to price fixing? I'd envisage (and hope!) that we'd have a competitive process, whereby we end up with operators that genuinely want to deliver a good service on their routes. If not, then I think it furthers the argument to get the ban on municipal bus operators removed from law.

What I was trying to articulate was that operators will still bid as competitive as they can and normally there are more suppliers than opportunities, which generally means the most competitive price wins.

However, I fear in this case, there will be more opportunities (or lots/required PVR), than suppliers, which means irrespective of the prices, the authority will likely need to agree to all prices quoted from all suppliers to cover all work and could result in some simply putting in massive prices as they know they will be awarded something.
RobinHood
24 Aug 2023, 6:50 pm #1,722

(24 Aug 2023, 6:23 pm)Adrian I'm a bit confused by your final paragraph, as what you suggest with everyone entering bids with 'massive double digit % margins', would surely amount to price fixing? I'd envisage (and hope!) that we'd have a competitive process, whereby we end up with operators that genuinely want to deliver a good service on their routes. If not, then I think it furthers the argument to get the ban on municipal bus operators removed from law.

What I was trying to articulate was that operators will still bid as competitive as they can and normally there are more suppliers than opportunities, which generally means the most competitive price wins.

However, I fear in this case, there will be more opportunities (or lots/required PVR), than suppliers, which means irrespective of the prices, the authority will likely need to agree to all prices quoted from all suppliers to cover all work and could result in some simply putting in massive prices as they know they will be awarded something.

24 Aug 2023, 6:55 pm #1,723
(24 Aug 2023, 6:23 pm)Adrian I'd say there also seems to be a misguided idea within the bus industry, that the public sector just can't deliver a publicly ran transport network. Please don't get me wrong, as I'm not referring to your post, but quite often I read industry managers or commentators, spending more time talking down the ability of the public sector, than they've ever spent trying to work in partnership with them. 

This is the most based post I have read on this forum in some years.
R852 PRG
24 Aug 2023, 6:55 pm #1,723

(24 Aug 2023, 6:23 pm)Adrian I'd say there also seems to be a misguided idea within the bus industry, that the public sector just can't deliver a publicly ran transport network. Please don't get me wrong, as I'm not referring to your post, but quite often I read industry managers or commentators, spending more time talking down the ability of the public sector, than they've ever spent trying to work in partnership with them. 

This is the most based post I have read on this forum in some years.

31 Aug 2023, 6:39 pm #1,724
Are the new u22 day tickets meant to be coming out on Sunday 3rd? Seen nowt on tne or the other operators. Or has it been delayed again.
NEbushopper
31 Aug 2023, 6:39 pm #1,724

Are the new u22 day tickets meant to be coming out on Sunday 3rd? Seen nowt on tne or the other operators. Or has it been delayed again.

busmanT

01 Sep 2023, 2:28 pm #1,726
(31 Aug 2023, 6:39 pm)NEbushopper Are the new u22 day tickets meant to be coming out on Sunday 3rd? Seen nowt on tne or the other operators. Or has it been delayed again.

TNE late at finalising everything, including the marketing.

(31 Aug 2023, 6:39 pm)NEbushopper Are the new u22 day tickets meant to be coming out on Sunday 3rd? Seen nowt on tne or the other operators. Or has it been delayed again.

Edited 01 Sep 2023, 2:28 pm by busmanT.
busmanT
01 Sep 2023, 2:28 pm #1,726

Ambassador

01 Sep 2023, 3:26 pm #1,727
(01 Sep 2023, 2:28 pm)busmanT TNE late at finalising everything, including the marketing.

Not entirely surprising, Tobyn Hughes makes Huw Lewis look dynamic. 

Add in a sprinkling of Gormless Gannon and Ben 'did he say that out loud dear god' Maxfield and I've full confidence...

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
01 Sep 2023, 3:26 pm #1,727

(01 Sep 2023, 2:28 pm)busmanT TNE late at finalising everything, including the marketing.

Not entirely surprising, Tobyn Hughes makes Huw Lewis look dynamic. 

Add in a sprinkling of Gormless Gannon and Ben 'did he say that out loud dear god' Maxfield and I've full confidence...

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

pbjd

01 Sep 2023, 4:28 pm #1,728

Been advertised on Stagecoach website for the past week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pbjd
01 Sep 2023, 4:28 pm #1,728

Been advertised on Stagecoach website for the past week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Busu284

06 Sep 2023, 5:30 pm #1,729
When is this new prices for the Explorer & T&W Day Rover coming out. They have introduced the new £3 one for under 21 so where is the new ones for them. Like I'm sorry but paying £9.10 or £12.70 is absolutely expensive as hell now. The new tickets prices would be absolutely amazing

A brand-new adult day ticket price for unlimited multi-modal travel by bus, Metro and Ferry in Tyne and Wear for only £6. The existing equivalent is the Network One Day Rover ticket which is currently £9.10 – meaning passengers will save 34% per day of travel.
New adult multi-operator day tickets covering unlimited travel on buses in Northumberland (£5) and County Durham (£4).
A region-wide multi-operator day ticket will be introduced at £6.80 for unlimited travel by bus, Metro and Ferry across all of Tyne and Wear, Northumberland and Durham. Currently the existing equivalent – the North East Explorer ticket costs £12.70 meaning passengers will save 46% on this fare alone

I do wonder why we haven't seen it yet
Busu284
06 Sep 2023, 5:30 pm #1,729

When is this new prices for the Explorer & T&W Day Rover coming out. They have introduced the new £3 one for under 21 so where is the new ones for them. Like I'm sorry but paying £9.10 or £12.70 is absolutely expensive as hell now. The new tickets prices would be absolutely amazing

A brand-new adult day ticket price for unlimited multi-modal travel by bus, Metro and Ferry in Tyne and Wear for only £6. The existing equivalent is the Network One Day Rover ticket which is currently £9.10 – meaning passengers will save 34% per day of travel.
New adult multi-operator day tickets covering unlimited travel on buses in Northumberland (£5) and County Durham (£4).
A region-wide multi-operator day ticket will be introduced at £6.80 for unlimited travel by bus, Metro and Ferry across all of Tyne and Wear, Northumberland and Durham. Currently the existing equivalent – the North East Explorer ticket costs £12.70 meaning passengers will save 46% on this fare alone

06 Sep 2023, 5:44 pm #1,730
(06 Sep 2023, 5:30 pm)Busu284 When is this new prices for the Explorer & T&W Day Rover coming out. They have introduced the new £3 one for under 21 so where is the new ones for them. Like I'm sorry but paying £9.10 or £12.70 is absolutely expensive as hell now. The new tickets prices would be absolutely amazing

"Money, money, money, must be funny, in a rich man's world"
NEbushopper
06 Sep 2023, 5:44 pm #1,730

(06 Sep 2023, 5:30 pm)Busu284 When is this new prices for the Explorer & T&W Day Rover coming out. They have introduced the new £3 one for under 21 so where is the new ones for them. Like I'm sorry but paying £9.10 or £12.70 is absolutely expensive as hell now. The new tickets prices would be absolutely amazing

"Money, money, money, must be funny, in a rich man's world"

08 Sep 2023, 11:48 am #1,731

Although you need to remember it's not quite equivalent to the full explorer as it doesn't include the Tees Valley, North Yorkshire coast, or (I think) the 685 to Carlisle. I think the full explorer will still exist after this.
deanmachine
08 Sep 2023, 11:48 am #1,731

Although you need to remember it's not quite equivalent to the full explorer as it doesn't include the Tees Valley, North Yorkshire coast, or (I think) the 685 to Carlisle. I think the full explorer will still exist after this.

08 Sep 2023, 12:32 pm #1,732
(08 Sep 2023, 11:48 am)deanmachine Although you need to remember it's not quite equivalent to the full explorer as it doesn't include the Tees Valley, North Yorkshire coast, or (I think) the 685 to Carlisle. I think the full explorer will still exist after this.

Exactly, I wouldn't be able to use it to travel to Darlington, despite it being much closer and more convenient than Newcastle.

Wouldn't it also mean people living in Newton Aycliffe would have the same problem as they had during the illness restrictions as part is in Durham and the other Darlington
streetdeckfan
08 Sep 2023, 12:32 pm #1,732

(08 Sep 2023, 11:48 am)deanmachine Although you need to remember it's not quite equivalent to the full explorer as it doesn't include the Tees Valley, North Yorkshire coast, or (I think) the 685 to Carlisle. I think the full explorer will still exist after this.

Exactly, I wouldn't be able to use it to travel to Darlington, despite it being much closer and more convenient than Newcastle.

Wouldn't it also mean people living in Newton Aycliffe would have the same problem as they had during the illness restrictions as part is in Durham and the other Darlington

Adrian

08 Sep 2023, 12:41 pm #1,733

Agreed, but I'd say for the vast majority using these tickets, the coverage is completely fine. The Explorer is still available for those who want to travel further. 

In terms of the 685, I think it'd be up to Stagecoach commercial whether or not they're accepting the ticket for the full length of the journey. On paper, it's only valid as far as Greenhead.

(08 Sep 2023, 12:32 pm)streetdeckfan Exactly, I wouldn't be able to use it to travel to Darlington, despite it being much closer and more convenient than Newcastle.

It doesn't replace other ticket offerings though, e.g. the Darlington District ticket for £7.20 from Arriva is still available for Newton Aycliffe to Darlington, or the 1 Routesaver for £5.90 between Bishop Auckland and Darlington.

I get what you're saying, but the boundary can't really be redrawn for these Transport North East tickets, as the funding has been allocated to the LA7 area, which doesn't include the Tees Valley. They have their own Mayoral Combined Authority.

Adrian
08 Sep 2023, 12:41 pm #1,733

Agreed, but I'd say for the vast majority using these tickets, the coverage is completely fine. The Explorer is still available for those who want to travel further. 

In terms of the 685, I think it'd be up to Stagecoach commercial whether or not they're accepting the ticket for the full length of the journey. On paper, it's only valid as far as Greenhead.

(08 Sep 2023, 12:32 pm)streetdeckfan Exactly, I wouldn't be able to use it to travel to Darlington, despite it being much closer and more convenient than Newcastle.

It doesn't replace other ticket offerings though, e.g. the Darlington District ticket for £7.20 from Arriva is still available for Newton Aycliffe to Darlington, or the 1 Routesaver for £5.90 between Bishop Auckland and Darlington.

I get what you're saying, but the boundary can't really be redrawn for these Transport North East tickets, as the funding has been allocated to the LA7 area, which doesn't include the Tees Valley. They have their own Mayoral Combined Authority.

08 Sep 2023, 12:46 pm #1,734
(08 Sep 2023, 12:41 pm)Adrian Agreed, but I'd say for the vast majority using these tickets, the coverage is completely fine. The Explorer is still available for those who want to travel further. 

As we've discussed before, drawing lines on a map always means someone is going to miss out.
deanmachine
08 Sep 2023, 12:46 pm #1,734

(08 Sep 2023, 12:41 pm)Adrian Agreed, but I'd say for the vast majority using these tickets, the coverage is completely fine. The Explorer is still available for those who want to travel further. 

As we've discussed before, drawing lines on a map always means someone is going to miss out.

08 Sep 2023, 12:55 pm #1,735

Perhaps there should be an exception for services that are partially/mostly within the area but venture out of it, a bit like how the Durham District ticket can be used on the X12 to Newcastle despite it clearly not being in Durham.
streetdeckfan
08 Sep 2023, 12:55 pm #1,735

Perhaps there should be an exception for services that are partially/mostly within the area but venture out of it, a bit like how the Durham District ticket can be used on the X12 to Newcastle despite it clearly not being in Durham.

busmanT

08 Sep 2023, 5:19 pm #1,736
(08 Sep 2023, 12:55 pm)streetdeckfan Perhaps there should be an exception for services that are partially/mostly within the area but venture out of it, a bit like how the Durham District ticket can be used on the X12 to Newcastle despite it clearly not being in Durham.

It can't work like that - the T&W/Durham and Northumberland Local Authorities have been given taxpayers money to subsidise bus fares in their area. They can't subsidise journeys that start/finish outside their area. 
There will still be other tickets available for cross LA boundary travel (Explorer and Operators own tickets for example).
busmanT
08 Sep 2023, 5:19 pm #1,736

(08 Sep 2023, 12:55 pm)streetdeckfan Perhaps there should be an exception for services that are partially/mostly within the area but venture out of it, a bit like how the Durham District ticket can be used on the X12 to Newcastle despite it clearly not being in Durham.

It can't work like that - the T&W/Durham and Northumberland Local Authorities have been given taxpayers money to subsidise bus fares in their area. They can't subsidise journeys that start/finish outside their area. 
There will still be other tickets available for cross LA boundary travel (Explorer and Operators own tickets for example).

Rob44

09 Sep 2023, 7:56 am #1,737
surely a.910 day rover seems even more expensive due to the£2 fare cape. I would normally be paying 3.60 to travel yet I'm only paying £2 so if a day rover was reduced by the same amount it would be around the 5.50 mark which does seem good value. If the fares when back up to full prove I think 9.10 would be good value again
Rob44
09 Sep 2023, 7:56 am #1,737

surely a.910 day rover seems even more expensive due to the£2 fare cape. I would normally be paying 3.60 to travel yet I'm only paying £2 so if a day rover was reduced by the same amount it would be around the 5.50 mark which does seem good value. If the fares when back up to full prove I think 9.10 would be good value again

Adrian

09 Sep 2023, 8:52 am #1,738
(09 Sep 2023, 7:56 am)Rob44 surely a.910 day rover seems even more expensive due to the£2 fare cape. I would normally be paying 3.60 to travel yet I'm only paying £2 so if a day rover was reduced by the same amount it would be around the 5.50 mark which does seem good value. If the fares when back up to full prove I think 9.10 would be good value again
I'd say it provides better value, but not good value. It's scandalously high, as were most single and return fares, prior to the Govt stepping in.

I find myself still having to use Day Rovers for simple multi-modal journeys.

Not even listed on the tickets list anymore, but a GNE 3 zone transfare is £5.60. You need the 3 zones to/from anywhere in Washington. So doing that both ways, then the Day Rover proves cheaper.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Adrian
09 Sep 2023, 8:52 am #1,738

(09 Sep 2023, 7:56 am)Rob44 surely a.910 day rover seems even more expensive due to the£2 fare cape. I would normally be paying 3.60 to travel yet I'm only paying £2 so if a day rover was reduced by the same amount it would be around the 5.50 mark which does seem good value. If the fares when back up to full prove I think 9.10 would be good value again
I'd say it provides better value, but not good value. It's scandalously high, as were most single and return fares, prior to the Govt stepping in.

I find myself still having to use Day Rovers for simple multi-modal journeys.

Not even listed on the tickets list anymore, but a GNE 3 zone transfare is £5.60. You need the 3 zones to/from anywhere in Washington. So doing that both ways, then the Day Rover proves cheaper.

Rob44

26 Sep 2023, 7:28 am #1,739
Due to circumstances for the last few weeks i've been getting the bus to work. Few hiccups with buses leaving early and not turning up but generally good. That bring me to this morning. Ticket reading on 93 not working so what does the driver do.......... lets everyone on who wants to buy a ticket on there card on the bus for nowt!!! Doesn't even ask them is they have any cash. must have let a dozen or more on in my 15 minute journey. and theires me, having just paid an extorsonate amount for a day ticket sitting trying to work out why GNE made such a loss!!
Rob44
26 Sep 2023, 7:28 am #1,739

Due to circumstances for the last few weeks i've been getting the bus to work. Few hiccups with buses leaving early and not turning up but generally good. That bring me to this morning. Ticket reading on 93 not working so what does the driver do.......... lets everyone on who wants to buy a ticket on there card on the bus for nowt!!! Doesn't even ask them is they have any cash. must have let a dozen or more on in my 15 minute journey. and theires me, having just paid an extorsonate amount for a day ticket sitting trying to work out why GNE made such a loss!!

Adrian

26 Sep 2023, 7:36 am #1,740
(26 Sep 2023, 7:28 am)Rob44 Due to circumstances for the last few weeks i've been getting the bus to work. Few hiccups with buses leaving early and not turning up but generally good. That bring me to this morning. Ticket reading on 93 not working so what does the driver do.......... lets everyone on who wants to buy a ticket on there card on the bus for nowt!!! Doesn't even ask them is they have any cash. must have let a dozen or more on in my 15 minute journey. and theires me, having just paid an extorsonate amount for a day ticket sitting trying to work out why GNE made such a loss!!
If they didn't, someone would probably be on here complaining that they refused to carry passengers who only had card as a means of payment.

I'm not sure what else they could do in this scenario. It's not ideal, as you either leave people behind and spend time dealing with complaints, take the bus out of service and still deal with complaints, or carry them for free and get them moving to their destination.

Adrian
26 Sep 2023, 7:36 am #1,740

(26 Sep 2023, 7:28 am)Rob44 Due to circumstances for the last few weeks i've been getting the bus to work. Few hiccups with buses leaving early and not turning up but generally good. That bring me to this morning. Ticket reading on 93 not working so what does the driver do.......... lets everyone on who wants to buy a ticket on there card on the bus for nowt!!! Doesn't even ask them is they have any cash. must have let a dozen or more on in my 15 minute journey. and theires me, having just paid an extorsonate amount for a day ticket sitting trying to work out why GNE made such a loss!!
If they didn't, someone would probably be on here complaining that they refused to carry passengers who only had card as a means of payment.

I'm not sure what else they could do in this scenario. It's not ideal, as you either leave people behind and spend time dealing with complaints, take the bus out of service and still deal with complaints, or carry them for free and get them moving to their destination.

Pages (89) Previous 186 87 88 89 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average