Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Nexus secured service consultations - May 2023

Nexus secured service consultations - May 2023

Nexus secured service consultations - May 2023

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (4) Previous 1 2 3 4 Next
V514DFT

16 Feb 2023, 5:53 pm #21
A few people ive spoke to want the 40/41 back the way it was, had to disappoint them by telling them its never gonna happen, not unless they have mutual ticket acceptance between those and the 317

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
16 Feb 2023, 5:53 pm #21

A few people ive spoke to want the 40/41 back the way it was, had to disappoint them by telling them its never gonna happen, not unless they have mutual ticket acceptance between those and the 317

Kind Regards
Tez

Unber43

16 Feb 2023, 5:57 pm #22
(16 Feb 2023, 9:16 am)Adrian Me too, but I'm also surprised about the passenger numbers: 

"During September 2022 an average of 6 customers travelled on each of the Monday – Saturday evening trips. An average of 7 customers travelled on each of the Sunday trips."

An average of 6 or 7 per trip could be considered quite good for secured services, and in this example, that's with competition across most of the route!
I think thats quite a bit for a secured service.
Unber43
16 Feb 2023, 5:57 pm #22

(16 Feb 2023, 9:16 am)Adrian Me too, but I'm also surprised about the passenger numbers: 

"During September 2022 an average of 6 customers travelled on each of the Monday – Saturday evening trips. An average of 7 customers travelled on each of the Sunday trips."

An average of 6 or 7 per trip could be considered quite good for secured services, and in this example, that's with competition across most of the route!
I think thats quite a bit for a secured service.

Jimmi

16 Feb 2023, 6:02 pm #23

I swear some of the tendered routes in County Durham carry a near average of zero, but somehow keep running without any cuts/revisions whatsoever!
Jimmi
16 Feb 2023, 6:02 pm #23

I swear some of the tendered routes in County Durham carry a near average of zero, but somehow keep running without any cuts/revisions whatsoever!

DeltaMan

16 Feb 2023, 6:08 pm #24
It's sounds a good number. But if you look at it another way, is it good tax payer value?

If they are carrying 6/7 people a trip and a trip takes an hour. Then it's costing between £6 and £8 per passenger, assuming an hourly cost of between £40 and £50 per hour per bus.

What should the subsidy per passenger be when judging viability? That is the question!
DeltaMan
16 Feb 2023, 6:08 pm #24

It's sounds a good number. But if you look at it another way, is it good tax payer value?

If they are carrying 6/7 people a trip and a trip takes an hour. Then it's costing between £6 and £8 per passenger, assuming an hourly cost of between £40 and £50 per hour per bus.

What should the subsidy per passenger be when judging viability? That is the question!

Unber43

16 Feb 2023, 7:35 pm #25
(16 Feb 2023, 6:08 pm)DeltaMan It's sounds a good number. But if you look at it another way, is it good tax payer value?

£40/50 bus per hour?!
Unber43
16 Feb 2023, 7:35 pm #25

(16 Feb 2023, 6:08 pm)DeltaMan It's sounds a good number. But if you look at it another way, is it good tax payer value?

£40/50 bus per hour?!

Dan

Site Administrator

16 Feb 2023, 7:51 pm #26
(16 Feb 2023, 7:35 pm)Unber43 £40/50 bus per hour?!

That’s the average cost, yes…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
16 Feb 2023, 7:51 pm #26

(16 Feb 2023, 7:35 pm)Unber43 £40/50 bus per hour?!

That’s the average cost, yes…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrian

16 Feb 2023, 8:29 pm #27

No, I don't think it represents good value for tax payers. The services should be ran in house instead of using private contractors, given the services only exist in the first place because the same operators didn't want to run them.

Buses are important infrastructure. They're important for work, job creation and to prevent social isolation. I'm more than happy with the authorities funding services, but not so the method of delivery.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
16 Feb 2023, 8:29 pm #27

No, I don't think it represents good value for tax payers. The services should be ran in house instead of using private contractors, given the services only exist in the first place because the same operators didn't want to run them.

Buses are important infrastructure. They're important for work, job creation and to prevent social isolation. I'm more than happy with the authorities funding services, but not so the method of delivery.

DeltaMan

16 Feb 2023, 8:37 pm #28
(16 Feb 2023, 8:29 pm)Adrian No, I don't think it represents good value for tax payers. The services should be ran in house instead of using private contractors, given the services only exist in the first place because the same operators didn't want to run them.

Taking even a small profit element out you would be looking at well over £6 per passenger!

So what is an acceptable level of per passenger subsidy irrespective of operating model?
DeltaMan
16 Feb 2023, 8:37 pm #28

(16 Feb 2023, 8:29 pm)Adrian No, I don't think it represents good value for tax payers. The services should be ran in house instead of using private contractors, given the services only exist in the first place because the same operators didn't want to run them.

Taking even a small profit element out you would be looking at well over £6 per passenger!

So what is an acceptable level of per passenger subsidy irrespective of operating model?

Storx

16 Feb 2023, 8:56 pm #29
(16 Feb 2023, 8:37 pm)DeltaMan Taking even a small profit element out you would be looking at well over £6 per passenger!

Surely it should be based on whether it's serving an area with no service at all which with the case of 79A is for large areas of the route vs how many passengers.

There's too many routes ie the W2 which duplicates the 51 for most the route and the bit it doesn't it's a 5 minute walk to the Coast to do the same routes; or the 82 duplicating the 25/28 for most of the route. I understand that some people will have to change but the link is there.

Similar could be said for the 335 between Murton and North Shields which duplicates the 53/317 two routes which are struggling as it is with a max 5 minute walk for the stops not served.

Services like that should not be ran, personally for the 82 I'd rather see it run to Kibblesworth and maybe to Team Valley and create important links which are near impossible now with the loss of the 28A and restore the Kibblesworth link which has just been butchered. If it has less punters then so, it serves a purpose.
Storx
16 Feb 2023, 8:56 pm #29

(16 Feb 2023, 8:37 pm)DeltaMan Taking even a small profit element out you would be looking at well over £6 per passenger!

Surely it should be based on whether it's serving an area with no service at all which with the case of 79A is for large areas of the route vs how many passengers.

There's too many routes ie the W2 which duplicates the 51 for most the route and the bit it doesn't it's a 5 minute walk to the Coast to do the same routes; or the 82 duplicating the 25/28 for most of the route. I understand that some people will have to change but the link is there.

Similar could be said for the 335 between Murton and North Shields which duplicates the 53/317 two routes which are struggling as it is with a max 5 minute walk for the stops not served.

Services like that should not be ran, personally for the 82 I'd rather see it run to Kibblesworth and maybe to Team Valley and create important links which are near impossible now with the loss of the 28A and restore the Kibblesworth link which has just been butchered. If it has less punters then so, it serves a purpose.

DeltaMan

16 Feb 2023, 9:29 pm #30
(16 Feb 2023, 8:56 pm)Storx Surely it should be based on whether it's serving an area with no service at all which with the case of 79A is for large areas of the route vs how many passengers.

I don't disagree, but we've all seen the article about the W2 in the Chronicle about what happens when a route is at risk!
DeltaMan
16 Feb 2023, 9:29 pm #30

(16 Feb 2023, 8:56 pm)Storx Surely it should be based on whether it's serving an area with no service at all which with the case of 79A is for large areas of the route vs how many passengers.

I don't disagree, but we've all seen the article about the W2 in the Chronicle about what happens when a route is at risk!

Adrian

16 Feb 2023, 10:02 pm #31

I don't understand the argument you're making, if I'm honest! Shouldn't we treat public transport as infrastructure, just as we treat energy, water, healthcare, telecoms etc? We all rely on it, but seems to become a dirty word when we talk about spending public money on it.

I've outlined already the reasons why it's important that it exists.

Adrian
16 Feb 2023, 10:02 pm #31

I don't understand the argument you're making, if I'm honest! Shouldn't we treat public transport as infrastructure, just as we treat energy, water, healthcare, telecoms etc? We all rely on it, but seems to become a dirty word when we talk about spending public money on it.

Drifter60

16 Feb 2023, 10:15 pm #32
The other thing is with secured or tendered bus routes, Joe Public don’t have any idea that certain services are only existing because of Council funding. Particularly outside of Nexus TW area. In Durham things like 71, 25, 28/29 are DCC contracts but they operate just like any other commercially ran GNE bus. Really it should be clear where private bus operators are wholly operating services on behalf of Councils/transport executive and also which are part subsidised and the purpose of the subsidy too.
Drifter60
16 Feb 2023, 10:15 pm #32

The other thing is with secured or tendered bus routes, Joe Public don’t have any idea that certain services are only existing because of Council funding. Particularly outside of Nexus TW area. In Durham things like 71, 25, 28/29 are DCC contracts but they operate just like any other commercially ran GNE bus. Really it should be clear where private bus operators are wholly operating services on behalf of Councils/transport executive and also which are part subsidised and the purpose of the subsidy too.

Storx

16 Feb 2023, 10:30 pm #33
(16 Feb 2023, 9:29 pm)DeltaMan I don't disagree, but we've all seen the article about the W2 in the Chronicle about what happens when a route is at risk!

Aye some fair points there, I don't know it just doesn't work and pointless. The W1 is just as bad shoehorning every estate pointlessly and neither ever have anyone on when I ever see them.
Storx
16 Feb 2023, 10:30 pm #33

(16 Feb 2023, 9:29 pm)DeltaMan I don't disagree, but we've all seen the article about the W2 in the Chronicle about what happens when a route is at risk!

Aye some fair points there, I don't know it just doesn't work and pointless. The W1 is just as bad shoehorning every estate pointlessly and neither ever have anyone on when I ever see them.

busmanT

16 Feb 2023, 11:14 pm #34

6 or 7 passengers travelling on a trip that takes an hour obviously doesn't meet Nexus criteria for Value For Money (maximum cost per passenger) - and especially as there is "competition across most of the route"
busmanT
16 Feb 2023, 11:14 pm #34

6 or 7 passengers travelling on a trip that takes an hour obviously doesn't meet Nexus criteria for Value For Money (maximum cost per passenger) - and especially as there is "competition across most of the route"

Storx

16 Feb 2023, 11:22 pm #35
(16 Feb 2023, 10:15 pm)Drifter60 The other thing is with secured or tendered bus routes, Joe Public don’t have any idea that certain services are only existing because of Council funding. Particularly outside of Nexus TW area. In Durham things like 71, 25, 28/29 are DCC contracts but they operate just like any other commercially ran GNE bus. Really it should be clear where private bus operators are wholly operating services on behalf of Councils/transport executive and also which are part subsidised and the purpose of the subsidy too.

See personally I'd prefer the opposite where a bus is a bus, there's one ticket and you can use it on any bus and they're all branded the same. Whether it's Stagecoach, GoNorthEast, Arriva, GCT etc is irrelevant really and complicates things and is one of the massive benefits of London.

Imo the operators would actually benefit long term if they did it aswell as they've carved their own areas up so it's not like 95% of people have any choice who to use anyway and in the places they do it's just a more frequent service like the Coast Road changes.

It's not like someone really cares it's GNE or Arriva in the real world. It would make the council services more popular imo as most of them just don't exist online and if they do they're ran by weird operators without any ticket validity.
Storx
16 Feb 2023, 11:22 pm #35

(16 Feb 2023, 10:15 pm)Drifter60 The other thing is with secured or tendered bus routes, Joe Public don’t have any idea that certain services are only existing because of Council funding. Particularly outside of Nexus TW area. In Durham things like 71, 25, 28/29 are DCC contracts but they operate just like any other commercially ran GNE bus. Really it should be clear where private bus operators are wholly operating services on behalf of Councils/transport executive and also which are part subsidised and the purpose of the subsidy too.

See personally I'd prefer the opposite where a bus is a bus, there's one ticket and you can use it on any bus and they're all branded the same. Whether it's Stagecoach, GoNorthEast, Arriva, GCT etc is irrelevant really and complicates things and is one of the massive benefits of London.

Imo the operators would actually benefit long term if they did it aswell as they've carved their own areas up so it's not like 95% of people have any choice who to use anyway and in the places they do it's just a more frequent service like the Coast Road changes.

It's not like someone really cares it's GNE or Arriva in the real world. It would make the council services more popular imo as most of them just don't exist online and if they do they're ran by weird operators without any ticket validity.

idiot

16 Feb 2023, 11:40 pm #36
Exactly why journeys should be marked on timetables that are subsised (Inc part) like they used to be.
idiot
16 Feb 2023, 11:40 pm #36

Exactly why journeys should be marked on timetables that are subsised (Inc part) like they used to be.

Andreos1

17 Feb 2023, 12:16 am #37

And those things don't need to be too expensive either.
Whether it be a suffix/prefix ahead of the service number, indications or symbols on timetables or a display by the saloon door - there would clearly be confirmation that it's a subsidised service.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
17 Feb 2023, 12:16 am #37

And those things don't need to be too expensive either.
Whether it be a suffix/prefix ahead of the service number, indications or symbols on timetables or a display by the saloon door - there would clearly be confirmation that it's a subsidised service.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Drifter60

17 Feb 2023, 1:26 am #38
(16 Feb 2023, 11:22 pm)Storx See personally I'd prefer the opposite where a bus is a bus, there's one ticket and you can use it on any bus and they're all branded the same. Whether it's Stagecoach, GoNorthEast, Arriva, GCT etc is irrelevant really and complicates things and is one of the massive benefits of London.

I agree lots of what you’re saying.

RE: ticketing etc. This needs to be where BSIP and the like need to make an impact. I shouldn’t be penalised with needing two separate returns/day tickets for going 5 miles, just because one area has just a GNE bus and the other has only Arriva etc. The winder NE has needed more cross operator tickets for years. I worry about implementation of such schemes though, as yet another ticket/zone scheme + what the existing commercial operators have just feels like a mess. 

RE: branding etc. that works well in London, where services are all under contract to TFL, such a move doesn’t work in our commercial vs some council funded services imo. I’ve always sat somewhere on the fence about things like the Quality Contracts Scheme that was purposed a few years back now, I saw the benefits but I did think there were some drawbacks. But now? After seeing the decimation of local services in the post-Covid world in particular I do think the commercial operations are no longer fit for purpose.

RE: Information. This is something that gets me and links to be initially point below. Easy access of information is hard to find. For Durham, there’s no information on what services are run under contract to them. Which isn’t so much of an issue when you’ve got GNE or Arriva doing those services as they’ve got websites and apps where information is easily accessible. But as you say, some smaller independent operators have zero or a very limited online presence, which means that there’ll be passengers who probably don’t even know the timetable of some of these services being funded on their behalf! 

My actually initial point though - is more about the public should have easy access to know what’s tax payer funded, would Joe Public be surprised to learn the 71 is paid for Durham County Council? Or that certain journeys on a night are only still going because Nexus is funding the bill? You’re right average passenger probably doesn’t care that much, but it’s transparency that I think would be useful. Timetables is years gone by used to have even the somewhat vague statement ‘part of this service runs under contract to XX’  but at least that was something. And as someone pointed out above, even not too long ago there was nexus symbols on timetables which indicated that particular run ran under financial support.

(17 Feb 2023, 12:16 am)Andreos1 And those things don't need to be too expensive either.

Absolutely - a simple list on the Council website of subsidised services or a small footnote on timetable would be a start!
Edited 17 Feb 2023, 1:28 am by Drifter60.
Drifter60
17 Feb 2023, 1:26 am #38

(16 Feb 2023, 11:22 pm)Storx See personally I'd prefer the opposite where a bus is a bus, there's one ticket and you can use it on any bus and they're all branded the same. Whether it's Stagecoach, GoNorthEast, Arriva, GCT etc is irrelevant really and complicates things and is one of the massive benefits of London.

I agree lots of what you’re saying.

RE: ticketing etc. This needs to be where BSIP and the like need to make an impact. I shouldn’t be penalised with needing two separate returns/day tickets for going 5 miles, just because one area has just a GNE bus and the other has only Arriva etc. The winder NE has needed more cross operator tickets for years. I worry about implementation of such schemes though, as yet another ticket/zone scheme + what the existing commercial operators have just feels like a mess. 

RE: branding etc. that works well in London, where services are all under contract to TFL, such a move doesn’t work in our commercial vs some council funded services imo. I’ve always sat somewhere on the fence about things like the Quality Contracts Scheme that was purposed a few years back now, I saw the benefits but I did think there were some drawbacks. But now? After seeing the decimation of local services in the post-Covid world in particular I do think the commercial operations are no longer fit for purpose.

RE: Information. This is something that gets me and links to be initially point below. Easy access of information is hard to find. For Durham, there’s no information on what services are run under contract to them. Which isn’t so much of an issue when you’ve got GNE or Arriva doing those services as they’ve got websites and apps where information is easily accessible. But as you say, some smaller independent operators have zero or a very limited online presence, which means that there’ll be passengers who probably don’t even know the timetable of some of these services being funded on their behalf! 

My actually initial point though - is more about the public should have easy access to know what’s tax payer funded, would Joe Public be surprised to learn the 71 is paid for Durham County Council? Or that certain journeys on a night are only still going because Nexus is funding the bill? You’re right average passenger probably doesn’t care that much, but it’s transparency that I think would be useful. Timetables is years gone by used to have even the somewhat vague statement ‘part of this service runs under contract to XX’  but at least that was something. And as someone pointed out above, even not too long ago there was nexus symbols on timetables which indicated that particular run ran under financial support.

(17 Feb 2023, 12:16 am)Andreos1 And those things don't need to be too expensive either.

Absolutely - a simple list on the Council website of subsidised services or a small footnote on timetable would be a start!

DeltaMan

17 Feb 2023, 7:03 am #39
(16 Feb 2023, 10:02 pm)Adrian I don't understand the argument you're making, if I'm honest! Shouldn't we treat public transport as infrastructure, just as we treat energy, water, healthcare, telecoms etc? We all rely on it, but seems to become a dirty word when we talk about spending public money on it.

All I'm a asking for is an idea on how much you think is an acceptable level of subsidy per passenger per hour. A debate about how or who operates the buses isn't needed for that.
DeltaMan
17 Feb 2023, 7:03 am #39

(16 Feb 2023, 10:02 pm)Adrian I don't understand the argument you're making, if I'm honest! Shouldn't we treat public transport as infrastructure, just as we treat energy, water, healthcare, telecoms etc? We all rely on it, but seems to become a dirty word when we talk about spending public money on it.

All I'm a asking for is an idea on how much you think is an acceptable level of subsidy per passenger per hour. A debate about how or who operates the buses isn't needed for that.

Rob44

17 Feb 2023, 10:12 am #40
Get the rotatable sings back in the front of buese

Go North eat

Transfare bus

Secured Service

Secured Service and transfare bus

Another job for the driver mind!
Rob44
17 Feb 2023, 10:12 am #40

Get the rotatable sings back in the front of buese

Go North eat