Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Upcoming Repaints

Upcoming Repaints

Upcoming Repaints

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (18) Previous 116 17 18
Michael

25 Jan 2024, 11:47 am #341
(25 Jan 2024, 11:43 am)MurdnunoC As much as you may dislike Martijn Gilbert (personally and/or professionall), other MDs were just as guilty of throwing paint around just for the sake of it. Branding the 69 (and 69A) 'Kingfisher' and 'Pulse' immediately springs to mind, but I'm guessing there are other examples of pointless multiple rebrands to routes not making any money (as evidenced by the fact GNE decided to ditch it leaving the taxpayer to pick up the bill).

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Magic Roundabout was no doubt expensive due to the copy right of using the characters.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
25 Jan 2024, 11:47 am #341

(25 Jan 2024, 11:43 am)MurdnunoC As much as you may dislike Martijn Gilbert (personally and/or professionall), other MDs were just as guilty of throwing paint around just for the sake of it. Branding the 69 (and 69A) 'Kingfisher' and 'Pulse' immediately springs to mind, but I'm guessing there are other examples of pointless multiple rebrands to routes not making any money (as evidenced by the fact GNE decided to ditch it leaving the taxpayer to pick up the bill).

Magic Roundabout was no doubt expensive due to the copy right of using the characters.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Storx

25 Jan 2024, 12:12 pm #342
(25 Jan 2024, 11:47 am)Michael Magic Roundabout was no doubt expensive due to the copy right of using the characters.

Depends there mind, they might have allowed it for free, as it's technically free advertising.

It's no different to the full wraps for buses to market a new film really.
Edited 25 Jan 2024, 12:14 pm by Storx.
Storx
25 Jan 2024, 12:12 pm #342

(25 Jan 2024, 11:47 am)Michael Magic Roundabout was no doubt expensive due to the copy right of using the characters.

Depends there mind, they might have allowed it for free, as it's technically free advertising.

Adrian

25 Jan 2024, 1:01 pm #343
(24 Jan 2024, 12:09 pm)James101 I was surprised at your seemingly one-dimensional interpretation of my post as you're usually an articulate contributor capable of critical thinking. 

Likewise, so was a bit surprised you've chosen to play the man and not the ball twice now. I guess we'll agree to disagree though.

This is a really important point. The current issues at GNE aren't a by-product of Martijn's management of the company. Did he do everything right? Of course not, but let's not forget that he inherited a business that had been lacking strategy and creative thinking since Peter Huntley walked out of the door. You could actually argue that MG was dealt a bad hand, as two years of his management were under Covid conditions.

(25 Jan 2024, 12:12 pm)Storx Depends there mind, they might have allowed it for free, as it's technically free advertising.

One is a business choosing to advertise their product (in the form of a full wrap), the other is a business, choosing to use someone else's work, to boost their own business. I'd be very surprised if it was used without a licence that they paid for.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
25 Jan 2024, 1:01 pm #343

(24 Jan 2024, 12:09 pm)James101 I was surprised at your seemingly one-dimensional interpretation of my post as you're usually an articulate contributor capable of critical thinking. 

Likewise, so was a bit surprised you've chosen to play the man and not the ball twice now. I guess we'll agree to disagree though.

This is a really important point. The current issues at GNE aren't a by-product of Martijn's management of the company. Did he do everything right? Of course not, but let's not forget that he inherited a business that had been lacking strategy and creative thinking since Peter Huntley walked out of the door. You could actually argue that MG was dealt a bad hand, as two years of his management were under Covid conditions.

(25 Jan 2024, 12:12 pm)Storx Depends there mind, they might have allowed it for free, as it's technically free advertising.

One is a business choosing to advertise their product (in the form of a full wrap), the other is a business, choosing to use someone else's work, to boost their own business. I'd be very surprised if it was used without a licence that they paid for.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Unber43

25 Jan 2024, 1:07 pm #344
Wasn't within Martjin first two years before COVID passenger numbers increasing, he was dealt a bad hand. He tried with the current network after covid, frequency increases, late night services, didn't work and ended up in just three years of cuts and cuts
Unber43
25 Jan 2024, 1:07 pm #344

Wasn't within Martjin first two years before COVID passenger numbers increasing, he was dealt a bad hand. He tried with the current network after covid, frequency increases, late night services, didn't work and ended up in just three years of cuts and cuts

Storx

25 Jan 2024, 1:44 pm #345
(25 Jan 2024, 1:01 pm)Adrian One is a business choosing to advertise their product (in the form of a full wrap), the other is a business, choosing to use someone else's work, to boost their own business. I'd be very surprised if it was used without a licence that they paid for.

It's hard to tell either way, as it benefits both parties really. Not sure what benefit GoNorthEast gets from licencing a brand for the side of a bus, there's certainly very little monetary value to it.

Heck the creators of Magic Roundabout might have paid for the brand if anything, I'm sure there was a film and TV series released at the same time which it promoted. It's no different the 'Imperial Leather The Flume' at Alton Towers which they 100% paid for.
Edited 25 Jan 2024, 1:48 pm by Storx.
Storx
25 Jan 2024, 1:44 pm #345

(25 Jan 2024, 1:01 pm)Adrian One is a business choosing to advertise their product (in the form of a full wrap), the other is a business, choosing to use someone else's work, to boost their own business. I'd be very surprised if it was used without a licence that they paid for.

It's hard to tell either way, as it benefits both parties really. Not sure what benefit GoNorthEast gets from licencing a brand for the side of a bus, there's certainly very little monetary value to it.

Heck the creators of Magic Roundabout might have paid for the brand if anything, I'm sure there was a film and TV series released at the same time which it promoted. It's no different the 'Imperial Leather The Flume' at Alton Towers which they 100% paid for.

25 Jan 2024, 2:47 pm #346
The Magic Roundabout brand was used under license however due to the cost of renewing the license to keep using the brand, it was dropped once the original contract expired.
Rapidsnap
25 Jan 2024, 2:47 pm #346

The Magic Roundabout brand was used under license however due to the cost of renewing the license to keep using the brand, it was dropped once the original contract expired.

Storx

25 Jan 2024, 3:33 pm #347
(25 Jan 2024, 2:47 pm)Rapidsnap The Magic Roundabout brand was used under license however due to the cost of renewing the license to keep using the brand, it was dropped once the original contract expired.

Surprised at that, always thought it would've been a form of advertising deal.

Horrid decision mind, as I really don't see the benefits of it and a complete waste of money, least someone seen sense and ditched it.
Storx
25 Jan 2024, 3:33 pm #347

(25 Jan 2024, 2:47 pm)Rapidsnap The Magic Roundabout brand was used under license however due to the cost of renewing the license to keep using the brand, it was dropped once the original contract expired.

Surprised at that, always thought it would've been a form of advertising deal.

Horrid decision mind, as I really don't see the benefits of it and a complete waste of money, least someone seen sense and ditched it.

MurdnunoC

25 Jan 2024, 3:42 pm #348
Somehow that makes the decision to brand this service worse

Another questionable business decision by an MD preceeding the one who served between 2018-2022.

MurdnunoC
25 Jan 2024, 3:42 pm #348

Somehow that makes the decision to brand this service worse

Another questionable business decision by an MD preceeding the one who served between 2018-2022.

25 Jan 2024, 3:58 pm #349
Think a few people questioned it at the time to why it was named the Magic Roundabout when the show didn't have any connection to Sunderland (unless smoking the same drugs as the creators of the show). In fact doing a quick search, the Magic Roundabout was originally a French show adapted for English TV. https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photog...1163157250

I recall people also questioned to why the Black Cats brand was a pale yellow too. https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photog...0482590552
Rapidsnap
25 Jan 2024, 3:58 pm #349

Think a few people questioned it at the time to why it was named the Magic Roundabout when the show didn't have any connection to Sunderland (unless smoking the same drugs as the creators of the show). In fact doing a quick search, the Magic Roundabout was originally a French show adapted for English TV. https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photog...1163157250

I recall people also questioned to why the Black Cats brand was a pale yellow too. https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photog...0482590552

cbma06

25 Jan 2024, 5:22 pm #350
(25 Jan 2024, 3:58 pm)Rapidsnap Think a few people questioned it at the time to why it was named the Magic Roundabout when the show didn't have any connection to Sunderland (unless smoking the same drugs as the creators of the show). In fact doing a quick search, the Magic Roundabout was originally a French show adapted for English TV. https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photog...1163157250

The original black cats brand with the yellow base on those mpd’s has nothing to do with Sunderland football club, it was more to do with the world war at that time, also the fast cats brand name was more historical to Hartlepool boats when there arrived from overseas many many decades ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
25 Jan 2024, 5:22 pm #350

(25 Jan 2024, 3:58 pm)Rapidsnap Think a few people questioned it at the time to why it was named the Magic Roundabout when the show didn't have any connection to Sunderland (unless smoking the same drugs as the creators of the show). In fact doing a quick search, the Magic Roundabout was originally a French show adapted for English TV. https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photog...1163157250

The original black cats brand with the yellow base on those mpd’s has nothing to do with Sunderland football club, it was more to do with the world war at that time, also the fast cats brand name was more historical to Hartlepool boats when there arrived from overseas many many decades ago.

Andreos1

25 Jan 2024, 6:06 pm #351
(25 Jan 2024, 5:22 pm)cbma06 The original black cats brand with the yellow base on those mpd’s has nothing to do with Sunderland football club, it was more to do with the world war at that time, also the fast cats brand name was more historical to Hartlepool boats when there arrived from overseas many many decades ago. 

What about the Cats Fast brand which existed?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
25 Jan 2024, 6:06 pm #351

(25 Jan 2024, 5:22 pm)cbma06 The original black cats brand with the yellow base on those mpd’s has nothing to do with Sunderland football club, it was more to do with the world war at that time, also the fast cats brand name was more historical to Hartlepool boats when there arrived from overseas many many decades ago. 

What about the Cats Fast brand which existed?

cbma06

25 Jan 2024, 6:34 pm #352
(25 Jan 2024, 6:06 pm)Andreos1 What about the Cats Fast brand which existed?

Its branded as Fast Cats Brand and not Cats Fast brand

cbma06
25 Jan 2024, 6:34 pm #352

(25 Jan 2024, 6:06 pm)Andreos1 What about the Cats Fast brand which existed?

Its branded as Fast Cats Brand and not Cats Fast brand

Andreos1

25 Jan 2024, 6:47 pm #353
(25 Jan 2024, 6:34 pm)cbma06 Its branded as Fast Cats Brand and not Cats Fast brand

Yeah, I know. But it read like Cats Fast. https://flic.kr/p/H9q3BV

Never mind.

Andreos1
25 Jan 2024, 6:47 pm #353

(25 Jan 2024, 6:34 pm)cbma06 Its branded as Fast Cats Brand and not Cats Fast brand

Yeah, I know. But it read like Cats Fast. https://flic.kr/p/H9q3BV

Never mind.

25 Jan 2024, 7:13 pm #354

Explanation of the Black Cats brand name from the original timetable attached.  For anyone interested the rationale given for the 33/42 was to bring a bit of colour and character, the route follows a circular path at one end and together with links to a community programme would bring buses to life for children...    
stagecoachbusdepot
25 Jan 2024, 7:13 pm #354

Explanation of the Black Cats brand name from the original timetable attached.  For anyone interested the rationale given for the 33/42 was to bring a bit of colour and character, the route follows a circular path at one end and together with links to a community programme would bring buses to life for children...    

MurdnunoC

25 Jan 2024, 7:35 pm #355
(25 Jan 2024, 7:13 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Explanation of the Black Cats brand name from the original timetable attached.  For anyone interested the rationale given for the 33/42 was to bring a bit of colour and character, the route follows a circular path at one end and together with links to a community programme would bring buses to life for children...

Not sure what's so mysterious about a visible black cat meowing? You could understand the story more if there was mysterious meowing coming a place where no black cat was present.

MurdnunoC
25 Jan 2024, 7:35 pm #355

(25 Jan 2024, 7:13 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Explanation of the Black Cats brand name from the original timetable attached.  For anyone interested the rationale given for the 33/42 was to bring a bit of colour and character, the route follows a circular path at one end and together with links to a community programme would bring buses to life for children...

Not sure what's so mysterious about a visible black cat meowing? You could understand the story more if there was mysterious meowing coming a place where no black cat was present.

26 Jan 2024, 12:42 am #356
(25 Jan 2024, 11:43 am)I’m MurdnunoC As much as you may dislike Martijn Gilbert (personally and/or professionall), other MDs were just as guilty of throwing paint around just for the sake of it. Branding the 69 (and 69A) 'Kingfisher' and 'Pulse' immediately springs to mind, but I'm guessing there are other examples of pointless multiple rebrands to routes not making any money (as evidenced by the fact GNE decided to ditch it leaving the taxpayer to pick up the bill).

Working at GNE during Peter being MD. He believed strongly in branding but if it was kept for premium routes would have been better. The angel/coaster swap proved how much money was also wasted. Some buses have had 8/9 different brands during the life 3941-3943 spring to mind. You have had buses branded rebranded de branded to branded again .
Coastliner700
26 Jan 2024, 12:42 am #356

(25 Jan 2024, 11:43 am)I’m MurdnunoC As much as you may dislike Martijn Gilbert (personally and/or professionall), other MDs were just as guilty of throwing paint around just for the sake of it. Branding the 69 (and 69A) 'Kingfisher' and 'Pulse' immediately springs to mind, but I'm guessing there are other examples of pointless multiple rebrands to routes not making any money (as evidenced by the fact GNE decided to ditch it leaving the taxpayer to pick up the bill).

Working at GNE during Peter being MD. He believed strongly in branding but if it was kept for premium routes would have been better. The angel/coaster swap proved how much money was also wasted. Some buses have had 8/9 different brands during the life 3941-3943 spring to mind. You have had buses branded rebranded de branded to branded again .

Unber43

26 Jan 2024, 11:28 am #357
I think one of 6331,6332,6333 have had about 4/5 and that is only within like 2018-2022 (dont think theyve had one since)
Unber43
26 Jan 2024, 11:28 am #357

I think one of 6331,6332,6333 have had about 4/5 and that is only within like 2018-2022 (dont think theyve had one since)

Pages (18) Previous 116 17 18

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average