Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Upcoming Repaints

Upcoming Repaints

Upcoming Repaints

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average

Pages (19) Previous 116 17 18 19 Next
ne14ne1

23 Jan 2024, 9:35 pm #321
(23 Jan 2024, 7:54 pm)L469 YVK Unless the 'SuperShuttle' base livery will be the new corporate base livery going forward? Actually looks pretty smart, simple and could absorb up most brands. Keeping some form of a 'sub-brand' whilst retaining a recognisable corporate livery.

No it’s not. Where you getting this from?

It gets worse:

https://x.com/garyhunter91/status/1749847481590915077?s=46&t=tPuGEygnn6BhKgNFiA4yAw

Why would you paint up 3 modern buses to look old.
Surely we want to attract passengers to bus travel and chance perceptions.

There’s already a B9 knocking around in some old fashioned heritage livery. Do they really need 4 retro liveries?
Simply to excite a handful of spotters?
Edited 23 Jan 2024, 9:41 pm by ne14ne1.
ne14ne1
23 Jan 2024, 9:35 pm #321

(23 Jan 2024, 7:54 pm)L469 YVK Unless the 'SuperShuttle' base livery will be the new corporate base livery going forward? Actually looks pretty smart, simple and could absorb up most brands. Keeping some form of a 'sub-brand' whilst retaining a recognisable corporate livery.

No it’s not. Where you getting this from?

It gets worse:

https://x.com/garyhunter91/status/1749847481590915077?s=46&t=tPuGEygnn6BhKgNFiA4yAw

There’s already a B9 knocking around in some old fashioned heritage livery. Do they really need 4 retro liveries?

23 Jan 2024, 9:46 pm #322
(23 Jan 2024, 9:35 pm)ne14ne1 No it’s not. Where you getting this from?

It wasn't a statement.
R852 PRG
23 Jan 2024, 9:46 pm #322

It wasn't a statement.

Storx

23 Jan 2024, 10:01 pm #323
(23 Jan 2024, 9:35 pm)ne14ne1 It gets worse:

Is there seriously a message on the back saying, go to the Metrocentre for 'boutique shops'. It couldn't be anything further from it and do they really need to tell people what's at the Metrocentre anyway? Unless you live in a box, like whoever wrote that, is there anyone who really doesn't know whats there. Now you could put something like Upto Every 10 Minutes, Direct - that might just be errm useful... or the brand, at least?

What's next? Shop at ASDA, they sell food.
Edited 23 Jan 2024, 10:06 pm by Storx.
Storx
23 Jan 2024, 10:01 pm #323

(23 Jan 2024, 9:35 pm)ne14ne1 It gets worse:

Is there seriously a message on the back saying, go to the Metrocentre for 'boutique shops'. It couldn't be anything further from it and do they really need to tell people what's at the Metrocentre anyway? Unless you live in a box, like whoever wrote that, is there anyone who really doesn't know whats there. Now you could put something like Upto Every 10 Minutes, Direct - that might just be errm useful... or the brand, at least?

What's next? Shop at ASDA, they sell food.

L469 YVK

23 Jan 2024, 10:15 pm #324

It gets worse:

As a base livery though.....it would work well with careful sub-branding compared to the current corporate livery when GNE tried the '49'
L469 YVK
23 Jan 2024, 10:15 pm #324

It gets worse:

As a base livery though.....it would work well with careful sub-branding compared to the current corporate livery when GNE tried the '49'

James101

23 Jan 2024, 10:24 pm #325
Crikey, this repaint has shown the worst habits of this forum.

A bus that needed a repaint regardless has had so in an on-brand and cost effective manor. In doing so, a core route with a legacy of branding has been returned to the status-quo as per the past almost 40 years.

Yes, Go North East has suffered an almighty fall from grace by its own actions, but this specific thing really seems like a job well done.

Arriva has a schizophrenic corporate identity with multiple brands in tatters, often wrongly defended as ‘defunct’ by those who haven’t grasped that word’s meaning. Stagecoach at their best has a new livery which is washed out and anonymous within weeks and at their worst operate MANviros in Hartlepool and elsewhere which appear to have been dragged out from a field.

Innovation in the bus industry is near enough dead, bar perhaps electric propulsion heavily subsidised. By the end of the decade most metropolitan areas will have franchising systems well under way and we’ll miss these hayclon days of creativity, though at least we might have a better service to console us.
James101
23 Jan 2024, 10:24 pm #325

Crikey, this repaint has shown the worst habits of this forum.

A bus that needed a repaint regardless has had so in an on-brand and cost effective manor. In doing so, a core route with a legacy of branding has been returned to the status-quo as per the past almost 40 years.

Yes, Go North East has suffered an almighty fall from grace by its own actions, but this specific thing really seems like a job well done.

Arriva has a schizophrenic corporate identity with multiple brands in tatters, often wrongly defended as ‘defunct’ by those who haven’t grasped that word’s meaning. Stagecoach at their best has a new livery which is washed out and anonymous within weeks and at their worst operate MANviros in Hartlepool and elsewhere which appear to have been dragged out from a field.

Innovation in the bus industry is near enough dead, bar perhaps electric propulsion heavily subsidised. By the end of the decade most metropolitan areas will have franchising systems well under way and we’ll miss these hayclon days of creativity, though at least we might have a better service to console us.

mb134

23 Jan 2024, 11:46 pm #326
(23 Jan 2024, 10:24 pm)James101 Crikey, this repaint has shown the worst habits of this forum.

The repaint isn't in the recent "roadstripe" style so I'm struggling to see how it is on-brand. In terms of being cost effective, given someone will have been paid to design it then it is quite literally not as cost effective as simply painting it into the 2019 livery - for 99.9% of users they simply could not care less about it being branded. 

In terms of your Arriva and Stagecoach points, does every critical discussion surrounding GNE turn into whataboutery? 

On your last point, can a rehash of an old livery really be termed "innovation"? Looking to the continent across the cities where I've used buses there is no route branding, simply an easy to understand system with frequent services and good value fares. To me, innovation in the bus industry would be to deliver services which the general public see as reliable and useful, or to deliver better integration between different modes of public transport. 

During the peak of MG-era GNE branding, a few folk on here (rightly) questioned the approach of the company. Other people on here told them they were wrong, and pointed to stats from years ago that suggested branding had a positive impact on passenger numbers. Ultimately the world has changed and so new approaches are needed to grow public transport usage, we can't just carry on repeating old ideas when they quite clearly do not work anymore.
mb134
23 Jan 2024, 11:46 pm #326

(23 Jan 2024, 10:24 pm)James101 Crikey, this repaint has shown the worst habits of this forum.

The repaint isn't in the recent "roadstripe" style so I'm struggling to see how it is on-brand. In terms of being cost effective, given someone will have been paid to design it then it is quite literally not as cost effective as simply painting it into the 2019 livery - for 99.9% of users they simply could not care less about it being branded. 

In terms of your Arriva and Stagecoach points, does every critical discussion surrounding GNE turn into whataboutery? 

On your last point, can a rehash of an old livery really be termed "innovation"? Looking to the continent across the cities where I've used buses there is no route branding, simply an easy to understand system with frequent services and good value fares. To me, innovation in the bus industry would be to deliver services which the general public see as reliable and useful, or to deliver better integration between different modes of public transport. 

During the peak of MG-era GNE branding, a few folk on here (rightly) questioned the approach of the company. Other people on here told them they were wrong, and pointed to stats from years ago that suggested branding had a positive impact on passenger numbers. Ultimately the world has changed and so new approaches are needed to grow public transport usage, we can't just carry on repeating old ideas when they quite clearly do not work anymore.

Adrian

24 Jan 2024, 12:28 am #327
Could someone, with knowledge of the subject, please explain how it's more cost-effective to paint a bus in 3 or 4 colours versus 1 colour?

I've seen at least three posters mention this now, but my limited knowledge tells me that's incorrect? Is it not a process/re-masking per colour, given you can't paint on top of or alongside wet paint?

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
24 Jan 2024, 12:28 am #327

Could someone, with knowledge of the subject, please explain how it's more cost-effective to paint a bus in 3 or 4 colours versus 1 colour?

I've seen at least three posters mention this now, but my limited knowledge tells me that's incorrect? Is it not a process/re-masking per colour, given you can't paint on top of or alongside wet paint?

James101

24 Jan 2024, 5:09 am #328
(24 Jan 2024, 12:28 am)Adrian Could someone, with knowledge of the subject, please explain how it's more cost-effective to paint a bus in 3 or 4 colours versus 1 colour?

I can only qualify my own post, but my reference to cost effective was in comparison to other branding exercises GNE have been guilty of, perhaps some of the X-lines Streetdecks which rattled through paint jobs. 

If we’re agreed fleet livery would require two colours and vinyls and Super Shuttle needs 3(?) colours and vinyls then the marginal cost of this appearing to be designed and executed in-house is really not a big expense. I’m surprised you needed this interpretation explaining.
James101
24 Jan 2024, 5:09 am #328

(24 Jan 2024, 12:28 am)Adrian Could someone, with knowledge of the subject, please explain how it's more cost-effective to paint a bus in 3 or 4 colours versus 1 colour?

I can only qualify my own post, but my reference to cost effective was in comparison to other branding exercises GNE have been guilty of, perhaps some of the X-lines Streetdecks which rattled through paint jobs. 

If we’re agreed fleet livery would require two colours and vinyls and Super Shuttle needs 3(?) colours and vinyls then the marginal cost of this appearing to be designed and executed in-house is really not a big expense. I’m surprised you needed this interpretation explaining.

James101

24 Jan 2024, 5:35 am #329
(23 Jan 2024, 11:46 pm)mb134 The repaint isn't in the recent "roadstripe" style so I'm struggling to see how it is on-brand. In terms of being cost effective, given someone will have been paid to design it then it is quite literally not as cost effective as simply painting it into the 2019 livery - for 99.9% of users they simply could not care less about it being branded. 

A branding exercise which hints back at a previous strong identity is a proven technique. Burger King, McDonald’s, Iron Bru and LNER come straight to mind in the past year or so. RYB is the strongest GNE legacy in its recent history (it’s been constantly weakened since) and Gateshead is its heartland. I’ve already added detail above as to my interpretation of cost effectiveness.

I didn’t intended my comparison to other operators to be interpreted as whataboutery but fair comment, I think it’s still a valid observation in
isolation. 

You mention your ideals for service provision as on the continent - a frequent, low fare service linking modes of transport is quite literally the X66, they’ve even stuck a Metro logo on the front of it. It’s a valid concern for other parts of the network but I really don’t think that criticism fits here. 

Don’t misinterpret my praise for this specific project as linked to some of the particularly barmy kite flying of the 2020-21 period, I’m totally on that page with you there. I’d just add that while yes the world has changed and new ideas are needed, buses still to be operated and maintained until the answer for the future drops out of the sky and this will involve occasional repaints.
Edited 24 Jan 2024, 8:43 am by James101.
James101
24 Jan 2024, 5:35 am #329

(23 Jan 2024, 11:46 pm)mb134 The repaint isn't in the recent "roadstripe" style so I'm struggling to see how it is on-brand. In terms of being cost effective, given someone will have been paid to design it then it is quite literally not as cost effective as simply painting it into the 2019 livery - for 99.9% of users they simply could not care less about it being branded. 

A branding exercise which hints back at a previous strong identity is a proven technique. Burger King, McDonald’s, Iron Bru and LNER come straight to mind in the past year or so. RYB is the strongest GNE legacy in its recent history (it’s been constantly weakened since) and Gateshead is its heartland. I’ve already added detail above as to my interpretation of cost effectiveness.

I didn’t intended my comparison to other operators to be interpreted as whataboutery but fair comment, I think it’s still a valid observation in
isolation. 

You mention your ideals for service provision as on the continent - a frequent, low fare service linking modes of transport is quite literally the X66, they’ve even stuck a Metro logo on the front of it. It’s a valid concern for other parts of the network but I really don’t think that criticism fits here. 

Don’t misinterpret my praise for this specific project as linked to some of the particularly barmy kite flying of the 2020-21 period, I’m totally on that page with you there. I’d just add that while yes the world has changed and new ideas are needed, buses still to be operated and maintained until the answer for the future drops out of the sky and this will involve occasional repaints.

24 Jan 2024, 10:07 am #330
(23 Jan 2024, 5:45 pm)streetdeckfan You know, if it wasn't for that awkward bit of yellow dipping down on the front, I'd say that looked rather smart!

It was really bugging me, so I broke out ye old Photoshop (Well, Affinity Photo because F Adobe) and 'fixed' it.

[Image: Super-Shittle.png]
streetdeckfan
24 Jan 2024, 10:07 am #330

(23 Jan 2024, 5:45 pm)streetdeckfan You know, if it wasn't for that awkward bit of yellow dipping down on the front, I'd say that looked rather smart!

It was really bugging me, so I broke out ye old Photoshop (Well, Affinity Photo because F Adobe) and 'fixed' it.

[Image: Super-Shittle.png]

Adrian

24 Jan 2024, 10:38 am #331
(24 Jan 2024, 5:09 am)James101 I can only qualify my own post, but my reference to cost effective was in comparison to other branding exercises GNE have been guilty of, perhaps some of the X-lines Streetdecks which rattled through paint jobs. 

I'm not sure where the element of surprise comes from? If there's a suggestion that something is cost-effective, I think it's perfectly reasonable to query the rationale of the statement.

It may not come with the costs of an agency to design a livery for you, but you're still utilising staff time in design, prep and paint. With your example of fleet livery (red, blue plus road stripes vinyl), then prep and paint of this is almost double (red, blue, white, yellow(?), plus Super Shuttle vinyls). Plus, has this not been repainted elsewhere, prior to coming back to the North East, only to be painted a different shade of blue? One of the same batch in a very similar livery here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/62607125@N08/53463646194/.

All of this comes at a cost to the business, and as I've posted earlier, with no tangible record of results on this particular service.

Adrian
24 Jan 2024, 10:38 am #331

(24 Jan 2024, 5:09 am)James101 I can only qualify my own post, but my reference to cost effective was in comparison to other branding exercises GNE have been guilty of, perhaps some of the X-lines Streetdecks which rattled through paint jobs. 

I'm not sure where the element of surprise comes from? If there's a suggestion that something is cost-effective, I think it's perfectly reasonable to query the rationale of the statement.

It may not come with the costs of an agency to design a livery for you, but you're still utilising staff time in design, prep and paint. With your example of fleet livery (red, blue plus road stripes vinyl), then prep and paint of this is almost double (red, blue, white, yellow(?), plus Super Shuttle vinyls). Plus, has this not been repainted elsewhere, prior to coming back to the North East, only to be painted a different shade of blue? One of the same batch in a very similar livery here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/62607125@N08/53463646194/.

All of this comes at a cost to the business, and as I've posted earlier, with no tangible record of results on this particular service.

DeltaMan

24 Jan 2024, 11:11 am #332
I think it's just a shame that GNE clearly have a talented internal designer after years of spending untold thousands on an external agency, for not much benefit
DeltaMan
24 Jan 2024, 11:11 am #332

I think it's just a shame that GNE clearly have a talented internal designer after years of spending untold thousands on an external agency, for not much benefit

James101

24 Jan 2024, 12:09 pm #333
(24 Jan 2024, 10:38 am)Adrian I'm not sure where the element of surprise comes from? If there's a suggestion that something is cost-effective, I think it's perfectly reasonable to query the rationale of the statement.

I was surprised at your seemingly one-dimensional interpretation of my post as you're usually an articulate contributor capable of critical thinking. 

I'd suggest your analysis of the detail of this specific repaint actually goes to defend how low-cost this seems to have been produced for. We'd need someone more qualified in the area for exact numbers but the differences in time and product to produce Super Shuttle versus fleet livery really does seem like splitting hairs. I expect experienced painters really don't see this as a particular challenge and we've got no evidence as to how many office hours were spend on the design aspect, but I'd be surprised if it entered double figures. 

Please don't misinterpret my opinion on this specific matter as condoning the culture at Bensham at large. The 'them & us' attitude and boy's club is apparent as an outsider and from friends within the company. It's toxic and perhaps their biggest challenge as an organisation. 

The X66 has been branded since its inception, bar the few months since the Volvos departed to Go North West. Your criticism of its branding would have to be thrown toward each management regime since the mid 1980s, presumably they have access to the record of results that we do not. As a layperson, I'd suggest it's a good candidate for branding as it's prime for elastic bus users - perhaps drivers who dislike busy car parks or want to have a drink at the Metro's leisure quarter. The network at large is a multi-coloured spaghetti to them but a simple express shuttle from Gateshead Metro to their destination in a specific stand-out colour scheme is easy to spot and understand.
Edited 24 Jan 2024, 12:15 pm by James101.
James101
24 Jan 2024, 12:09 pm #333

(24 Jan 2024, 10:38 am)Adrian I'm not sure where the element of surprise comes from? If there's a suggestion that something is cost-effective, I think it's perfectly reasonable to query the rationale of the statement.

I was surprised at your seemingly one-dimensional interpretation of my post as you're usually an articulate contributor capable of critical thinking. 

I'd suggest your analysis of the detail of this specific repaint actually goes to defend how low-cost this seems to have been produced for. We'd need someone more qualified in the area for exact numbers but the differences in time and product to produce Super Shuttle versus fleet livery really does seem like splitting hairs. I expect experienced painters really don't see this as a particular challenge and we've got no evidence as to how many office hours were spend on the design aspect, but I'd be surprised if it entered double figures. 

Please don't misinterpret my opinion on this specific matter as condoning the culture at Bensham at large. The 'them & us' attitude and boy's club is apparent as an outsider and from friends within the company. It's toxic and perhaps their biggest challenge as an organisation. 

The X66 has been branded since its inception, bar the few months since the Volvos departed to Go North West. Your criticism of its branding would have to be thrown toward each management regime since the mid 1980s, presumably they have access to the record of results that we do not. As a layperson, I'd suggest it's a good candidate for branding as it's prime for elastic bus users - perhaps drivers who dislike busy car parks or want to have a drink at the Metro's leisure quarter. The network at large is a multi-coloured spaghetti to them but a simple express shuttle from Gateshead Metro to their destination in a specific stand-out colour scheme is easy to spot and understand.

L469 YVK

24 Jan 2024, 5:52 pm #334
I do think the super-shuttle base livery should be used as the new corporate standard going forward. Clean, simple and easy.
L469 YVK
24 Jan 2024, 5:52 pm #334

I do think the super-shuttle base livery should be used as the new corporate standard going forward. Clean, simple and easy.

F114TML

24 Jan 2024, 6:46 pm #335
(24 Jan 2024, 11:11 am)DeltaMan I think it's just a shame that GNE clearly have a talented internal designer after years of spending untold thousands on an external agency, for not much benefit

Wasn't 6050 designed internally?
F114TML
24 Jan 2024, 6:46 pm #335

(24 Jan 2024, 11:11 am)DeltaMan I think it's just a shame that GNE clearly have a talented internal designer after years of spending untold thousands on an external agency, for not much benefit

Wasn't 6050 designed internally?

busmanT

24 Jan 2024, 9:40 pm #336

"years of spending untold thousands" was under the previous (2018-2022) MD of course.
busmanT
24 Jan 2024, 9:40 pm #336

"years of spending untold thousands" was under the previous (2018-2022) MD of course.

Ambassador

24 Jan 2024, 11:53 pm #337
(24 Jan 2024, 9:40 pm)busmanT "years of spending untold thousands" was under the previous (2018-2022) MD of course.

I wouldn’t say that’s true, the previous MDs also had no issues throwing cash about.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
24 Jan 2024, 11:53 pm #337

(24 Jan 2024, 9:40 pm)busmanT "years of spending untold thousands" was under the previous (2018-2022) MD of course.

I wouldn’t say that’s true, the previous MDs also had no issues throwing cash about.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

Andreos1

25 Jan 2024, 7:42 am #338
(24 Jan 2024, 11:53 pm)Ambassador I wouldn’t say that’s true, the previous MDs also had no issues throwing cash about.

Nor the one before that.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
25 Jan 2024, 7:42 am #338

(24 Jan 2024, 11:53 pm)Ambassador I wouldn’t say that’s true, the previous MDs also had no issues throwing cash about.

Nor the one before that.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

DeltaMan

25 Jan 2024, 9:49 am #339
And the Huntly era. We know from TfL FoI requests how much these rebrand excercises cost and the London ones are awful!
Edited 25 Jan 2024, 9:51 am by DeltaMan.
DeltaMan
25 Jan 2024, 9:49 am #339

And the Huntly era. We know from TfL FoI requests how much these rebrand excercises cost and the London ones are awful!

MurdnunoC

25 Jan 2024, 11:43 am #340
As much as you may dislike Martijn Gilbert (personally and/or professionall), other MDs were just as guilty of throwing paint around just for the sake of it. Branding the 69 (and 69A) 'Kingfisher' and 'Pulse' immediately springs to mind, but I'm guessing there are other examples of pointless multiple rebrands to routes not making any money (as evidenced by the fact GNE decided to ditch it leaving the taxpayer to pick up the bill).

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk
MurdnunoC
25 Jan 2024, 11:43 am #340

As much as you may dislike Martijn Gilbert (personally and/or professionall), other MDs were just as guilty of throwing paint around just for the sake of it. Branding the 69 (and 69A) 'Kingfisher' and 'Pulse' immediately springs to mind, but I'm guessing there are other examples of pointless multiple rebrands to routes not making any money (as evidenced by the fact GNE decided to ditch it leaving the taxpayer to pick up the bill).

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Pages (19) Previous 116 17 18 19 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average