Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Tyne Bridge Works 2023-27 (ish)

Tyne Bridge Works 2023-27 (ish)

Tyne Bridge Works 2023-27 (ish)

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6) Previous 14 5 6 Next
Storx

24 Dec 2023, 12:37 pm #81
(24 Dec 2023, 9:43 am)Andreos1 Some interesting points and I'm not sure I agree with all of them. 
They have the POP Card. 
However quite why there was no joined up or holistic approach when every Tom, Dick and Harry applied for the smart card funding, is anyones guess. 

As for the lack of operator investment because 'threats they're going to be taken over'.
Not sure what you mean by this? Operators make a loss, partly because they've not adapted networks to suit the changing passenger habits they keep telling us about.

The network is pretty much as is back in 86 when they gained control of them and there weren't business parks or out of town shopping, but there was plenty of town/city centre shopping/working and ship yards/pits.

40 years of looking after shareholders, being stuck in a rut, generational incompetence, habitual begging bowl collections, making cuts and clearly lacking the foresight to adapt has led to the rumours of LA/PTE control not just in the NE, but across the country.

If operators are worried about that, then that's on them. Not the LA or PTE.

Pop is a complete mess imo, it might aswell be called The Metro Card, I don't get why it's been so mishandled since the start. Network One immediately should have been launched onto it and that scrapped but we still have that running however many years later and Network One is like trying to find a needle in a haystack, information on it. Must be the most confusing multi modal system in the whole country.

Of course, I don't blame the PTE/LA for the losses that would be riduculous but imo someone needs to condense all bus information into one site or place and we just don't have it still. You have to remember the areas where there's multiple operators which are stuggling the most and it's no doubt it's because people are simply confused.

The fact the Nexus has no form of journey planner in 2023, is just disgustingly poor imo. The ticket information page is also like trying to read through an manual aswell, it's a pathetic site. Compare that to say the West Midlands - https://www.tfwm.org.uk/. You can do literally everything you need from the home page, plan a journey - with a less walking option, find tickets, and then important information about travel. Not footsteps with Mo Farah which is unneeded information.

Someone needs to display this information, and it simply can't be the operators as it's illegal for them to do it. Someone needs to take responsibility on it, and it falls simply down to the PTE/LA as it's literally they're job.

Bad ticketing, bad information and bad routes, hot mess combination for problems. The last one falls on the operator, the first 2 falls on everyone, arguably more PTE/LA than anyone. Even the new TNE tickets are like trying to find gold at the end of the rainbow on the Nexus website.
Edited 24 Dec 2023, 12:39 pm by Storx.
Storx
24 Dec 2023, 12:37 pm #81

(24 Dec 2023, 9:43 am)Andreos1 Some interesting points and I'm not sure I agree with all of them. 
They have the POP Card. 
However quite why there was no joined up or holistic approach when every Tom, Dick and Harry applied for the smart card funding, is anyones guess. 

As for the lack of operator investment because 'threats they're going to be taken over'.
Not sure what you mean by this? Operators make a loss, partly because they've not adapted networks to suit the changing passenger habits they keep telling us about.

The network is pretty much as is back in 86 when they gained control of them and there weren't business parks or out of town shopping, but there was plenty of town/city centre shopping/working and ship yards/pits.

40 years of looking after shareholders, being stuck in a rut, generational incompetence, habitual begging bowl collections, making cuts and clearly lacking the foresight to adapt has led to the rumours of LA/PTE control not just in the NE, but across the country.

If operators are worried about that, then that's on them. Not the LA or PTE.

Pop is a complete mess imo, it might aswell be called The Metro Card, I don't get why it's been so mishandled since the start. Network One immediately should have been launched onto it and that scrapped but we still have that running however many years later and Network One is like trying to find a needle in a haystack, information on it. Must be the most confusing multi modal system in the whole country.

Of course, I don't blame the PTE/LA for the losses that would be riduculous but imo someone needs to condense all bus information into one site or place and we just don't have it still. You have to remember the areas where there's multiple operators which are stuggling the most and it's no doubt it's because people are simply confused.

The fact the Nexus has no form of journey planner in 2023, is just disgustingly poor imo. The ticket information page is also like trying to read through an manual aswell, it's a pathetic site. Compare that to say the West Midlands - https://www.tfwm.org.uk/. You can do literally everything you need from the home page, plan a journey - with a less walking option, find tickets, and then important information about travel. Not footsteps with Mo Farah which is unneeded information.

Someone needs to display this information, and it simply can't be the operators as it's illegal for them to do it. Someone needs to take responsibility on it, and it falls simply down to the PTE/LA as it's literally they're job.

Bad ticketing, bad information and bad routes, hot mess combination for problems. The last one falls on the operator, the first 2 falls on everyone, arguably more PTE/LA than anyone. Even the new TNE tickets are like trying to find gold at the end of the rainbow on the Nexus website.

Andreos1

24 Dec 2023, 1:20 pm #82
(24 Dec 2023, 12:37 pm)Storx  
Pop is a complete mess imo, it might aswell be called The Metro Card, I don't get why it's been so mishandled since the start.
Network One immediately should have been launched onto it and that scrapped but we still have that running however many years later and Network One is like trying to find a needle in a haystack, information on it. Must be the most confusing multi modal system in the whole country.

I had a small, initial involvement in it at the beginning and it was doomed to fail when it became clear there was going to be no joined up thinking across the region. 

Operators were going after their own individual and unique systems like a greedy schoolboy after some sweets. 
Even more attractive once they knew there would be continued uplifts attached to the 6/7 figure grants and ultimately, very minimal investment on their part.

Maybe Nexus could have encouraged greater discussion, maybe they could have been stronger. 
But there's no way they could have insisted the operators should not apply for their own system and subsequently, physically stop them.
Edited 24 Dec 2023, 1:25 pm by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
24 Dec 2023, 1:20 pm #82

(24 Dec 2023, 12:37 pm)Storx  
Pop is a complete mess imo, it might aswell be called The Metro Card, I don't get why it's been so mishandled since the start.
Network One immediately should have been launched onto it and that scrapped but we still have that running however many years later and Network One is like trying to find a needle in a haystack, information on it. Must be the most confusing multi modal system in the whole country.

I had a small, initial involvement in it at the beginning and it was doomed to fail when it became clear there was going to be no joined up thinking across the region. 

Operators were going after their own individual and unique systems like a greedy schoolboy after some sweets. 
Even more attractive once they knew there would be continued uplifts attached to the 6/7 figure grants and ultimately, very minimal investment on their part.

Maybe Nexus could have encouraged greater discussion, maybe they could have been stronger. 
But there's no way they could have insisted the operators should not apply for their own system and subsequently, physically stop them.

Storx

24 Dec 2023, 1:34 pm #83
(24 Dec 2023, 1:20 pm)Andreos1 I had a small, initial involvement in it at the beginning and it was doomed to fail when it became clear there was going to be no joined up thinking across the region. 

Aye that's fair must admit I'm not aware of the earlier rounds. I just never understood how the NE done so badly whereas everywhere else got some form of system from the same money. 

Who knows, it's probably a combination of greedy operators and a weak PTE let's be honest. 

I must admit I never understand why there's a bus combined group up here, forgot it's name. Surely thats the point of Nexus. Imo for Nexus and the TNE to succeed the Metro needs spun off from them with it's own team completely or alternatively Nexus is abolished in terms of PTE duties and become the Metro operator only, with TNE taking control of Nexus duties, same again why is there two anyway..? With both Northumberland and Durham becoming part of the super PTE so we can manage investment regionwide.

I'm not aware of any plans for that though.
Edited 24 Dec 2023, 1:36 pm by Storx.
Storx
24 Dec 2023, 1:34 pm #83

(24 Dec 2023, 1:20 pm)Andreos1 I had a small, initial involvement in it at the beginning and it was doomed to fail when it became clear there was going to be no joined up thinking across the region. 

Aye that's fair must admit I'm not aware of the earlier rounds. I just never understood how the NE done so badly whereas everywhere else got some form of system from the same money. 

Who knows, it's probably a combination of greedy operators and a weak PTE let's be honest. 

I must admit I never understand why there's a bus combined group up here, forgot it's name. Surely thats the point of Nexus. Imo for Nexus and the TNE to succeed the Metro needs spun off from them with it's own team completely or alternatively Nexus is abolished in terms of PTE duties and become the Metro operator only, with TNE taking control of Nexus duties, same again why is there two anyway..? With both Northumberland and Durham becoming part of the super PTE so we can manage investment regionwide.

I'm not aware of any plans for that though.

DeltaMan

24 Dec 2023, 2:15 pm #84

That's not quite true. Smartzones exist using differing systems. If it wasn't for Stagecoach using VIX machines there is no technical reason ToTo couldn't exist either.

It's just the world has now moved on from Smartcards to ToTo. Something Stagecoach, Metro/NEXUS and GNE are so far behind on it's embarrassing. Even ARRIVA and First Bus are ahead. That's how bad it is.
Edited 24 Dec 2023, 2:17 pm by DeltaMan.
DeltaMan
24 Dec 2023, 2:15 pm #84

That's not quite true. Smartzones exist using differing systems. If it wasn't for Stagecoach using VIX machines there is no technical reason ToTo couldn't exist either.

It's just the world has now moved on from Smartcards to ToTo. Something Stagecoach, Metro/NEXUS and GNE are so far behind on it's embarrassing. Even ARRIVA and First Bus are ahead. That's how bad it is.

Andreos1

24 Dec 2023, 2:30 pm #85
(24 Dec 2023, 2:15 pm)DeltaMan That's not quite true. Smartzones exist using differing systems. If it wasn't for Stagecoach using VIX machines there is no technical reason ToTo couldn't exist either.

Pop was launched circa 2015. First trial roll-out early Q2 off memory. 

The Smartzones weren't launched until 3 or 4 years later.

Andreos1
24 Dec 2023, 2:30 pm #85

(24 Dec 2023, 2:15 pm)DeltaMan That's not quite true. Smartzones exist using differing systems. If it wasn't for Stagecoach using VIX machines there is no technical reason ToTo couldn't exist either.

Pop was launched circa 2015. First trial roll-out early Q2 off memory. 

DeltaMan

24 Dec 2023, 2:51 pm #86
(24 Dec 2023, 2:30 pm)Andreos1 Pop was launched circa 2015. First trial roll-out early Q2 off memory. 

It took TfL 12 years from the launch of Oyster to then withdrawn cash fares on bus. These aren't just tricky box software installations. It takes years to plan and implement.
DeltaMan
24 Dec 2023, 2:51 pm #86

(24 Dec 2023, 2:30 pm)Andreos1 Pop was launched circa 2015. First trial roll-out early Q2 off memory. 

It took TfL 12 years from the launch of Oyster to then withdrawn cash fares on bus. These aren't just tricky box software installations. It takes years to plan and implement.

Andreos1

24 Dec 2023, 8:36 pm #87
(24 Dec 2023, 2:51 pm)DeltaMan It took TfL 12 years from the launch of Oyster to then withdrawn cash fares on bus. These aren't just tricky box software installations. It takes years to plan and implement.

Aye, but you're comparing apples and pears. 

Taking away a cash option isn't the same as multiple operators using multiple systems, applying for multiple grants and not having joined up thinking from day 1.

Andreos1
24 Dec 2023, 8:36 pm #87

(24 Dec 2023, 2:51 pm)DeltaMan It took TfL 12 years from the launch of Oyster to then withdrawn cash fares on bus. These aren't just tricky box software installations. It takes years to plan and implement.

Aye, but you're comparing apples and pears. 

Taking away a cash option isn't the same as multiple operators using multiple systems, applying for multiple grants and not having joined up thinking from day 1.

Jimmi

27 Feb 2024, 12:51 pm #88
Main works will start on the Tyne Bridge which will see Lane closures and in some cases overnight closures, starting April 2nd: https://tynebridge.org/news/work-commenc...f5Nc6DRvok

They advise that people should switch to using public transport for the duration of these works
Jimmi
27 Feb 2024, 12:51 pm #88

Main works will start on the Tyne Bridge which will see Lane closures and in some cases overnight closures, starting April 2nd: https://tynebridge.org/news/work-commenc...f5Nc6DRvok

They advise that people should switch to using public transport for the duration of these works

Storx

07 Mar 2024, 7:51 am #89
Is it just me who thinks they are taking the complete wrong approach for this and all the buses are going to be absolutely chaos as a result?

Personally imo it would be better to do something like

X66: Blaydon - Metrocentre - Metro Centre [Express]
X100: Metrocentre - Newcastle [All Stop]
X200: Newcastle to Gateshead Interchange [Express] 

10/10A/10B: Newcastle via Scotswood Road, change to X66 for Metrocentre
X45/47: Redirected to Blaydon and into Newcastle via Scotswood Road, change to X100 for Metrocentre
6: Terminate short at Metrocentre, change to X65 for Newcastle

All Gateshead services: Terminate at Gateshead, change to X200 or Metro for Newcastle

Least the other 95% of the bus routes would actually be running on time.

It's going to be absolute chaos imo.
Edited 07 Mar 2024, 7:55 am by Storx.
Storx
07 Mar 2024, 7:51 am #89

Is it just me who thinks they are taking the complete wrong approach for this and all the buses are going to be absolutely chaos as a result?

Personally imo it would be better to do something like

X66: Blaydon - Metrocentre - Metro Centre [Express]
X100: Metrocentre - Newcastle [All Stop]
X200: Newcastle to Gateshead Interchange [Express] 

10/10A/10B: Newcastle via Scotswood Road, change to X66 for Metrocentre
X45/47: Redirected to Blaydon and into Newcastle via Scotswood Road, change to X100 for Metrocentre
6: Terminate short at Metrocentre, change to X65 for Newcastle

All Gateshead services: Terminate at Gateshead, change to X200 or Metro for Newcastle

Least the other 95% of the bus routes would actually be running on time.

It's going to be absolute chaos imo.

DeltaMan

07 Mar 2024, 11:18 am #90
The return of the 100 would be extremely handy to have given how busy GNE services already are between Newcastle and Metrocentre

But Stagecoach and any other operator don't seem interested.
Edited 07 Mar 2024, 11:19 am by DeltaMan.
DeltaMan
07 Mar 2024, 11:18 am #90

The return of the 100 would be extremely handy to have given how busy GNE services already are between Newcastle and Metrocentre

Aaron21

07 Mar 2024, 3:34 pm #91
(07 Mar 2024, 11:18 am)DeltaMan The return of the 100 would be extremely handy to have given how busy GNE services already are between Newcastle and Metrocentre

Think Stagecoach have had an issue (imo) with Nexus so if Stagecoach did bring thr 100 back say under BSIP then if nexus had a say. Can't see it happening tbf
Aaron21
07 Mar 2024, 3:34 pm #91

(07 Mar 2024, 11:18 am)DeltaMan The return of the 100 would be extremely handy to have given how busy GNE services already are between Newcastle and Metrocentre

Think Stagecoach have had an issue (imo) with Nexus so if Stagecoach did bring thr 100 back say under BSIP then if nexus had a say. Can't see it happening tbf

08 Mar 2024, 1:05 am #92
(07 Mar 2024, 3:34 pm)Aaron21 Think Stagecoach have had an issue (imo) with Nexus so if Stagecoach did bring thr 100 back say under BSIP then if nexus had a say. Can't see it happening tbf

what makes you say that there has been an issue?
logidoodah
08 Mar 2024, 1:05 am #92

(07 Mar 2024, 3:34 pm)Aaron21 Think Stagecoach have had an issue (imo) with Nexus so if Stagecoach did bring thr 100 back say under BSIP then if nexus had a say. Can't see it happening tbf

what makes you say that there has been an issue?

Ambassador

08 Mar 2024, 4:12 pm #93
I'm surprised more people don't use the train. It's £1.80 each way (or £4.40 day return if you book on the day) and they normally are carrying fresh air

DUring my brief foray into South Tyneside I used to get the metro to Central and get the train - far quicker and a much nicer experience than the rabid children on the X66
Ambassador
08 Mar 2024, 4:12 pm #93

I'm surprised more people don't use the train. It's £1.80 each way (or £4.40 day return if you book on the day) and they normally are carrying fresh air

DUring my brief foray into South Tyneside I used to get the metro to Central and get the train - far quicker and a much nicer experience than the rabid children on the X66

Andreos1

08 Mar 2024, 4:22 pm #94
(08 Mar 2024, 4:12 pm)Ambassador I'm surprised more people don't use the train. It's £1.80 each way (or £4.40 day return if you book on the day) and they normally are carrying fresh air

Free if you have a Network Travel ticket. 

A mate was paying for taxis when GNE were on strike.
Until I pointed out he didn't have to pay by virtue of his ticket. 

Not sure he's gone back to the bus.

Andreos1
08 Mar 2024, 4:22 pm #94

(08 Mar 2024, 4:12 pm)Ambassador I'm surprised more people don't use the train. It's £1.80 each way (or £4.40 day return if you book on the day) and they normally are carrying fresh air

Free if you have a Network Travel ticket. 

A mate was paying for taxis when GNE were on strike.
Until I pointed out he didn't have to pay by virtue of his ticket. 

Not sure he's gone back to the bus.

Ambassador

02 Apr 2024, 12:24 am #95
Happy First Day of closures everyone.

Can’t wait for the operators to blame the Tyne bridge for everything (we’ll ignore the 21 being 35 minutes late due to Gateshead councils incompetent traffic management or the SDC being useless)
Ambassador
02 Apr 2024, 12:24 am #95

Happy First Day of closures everyone.

Can’t wait for the operators to blame the Tyne bridge for everything (we’ll ignore the 21 being 35 minutes late due to Gateshead councils incompetent traffic management or the SDC being useless)

Adrian

02 Apr 2024, 7:59 am #96
(02 Apr 2024, 12:24 am)Ambassador Happy First Day of closures everyone.

I hope you're not underestimating a Gannon x Hughes masterplan....

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
02 Apr 2024, 7:59 am #96

(02 Apr 2024, 12:24 am)Ambassador Happy First Day of closures everyone.

I hope you're not underestimating a Gannon x Hughes masterplan....

Ambassador

04 Apr 2024, 12:49 pm #97
One observation from me - they really need to stick some yellow x lines and enforce them at the junction where buses exit Askew Road to join the Bridge - quite a few cars blocking the junction.

Not helped by those pedestrian lights as soon as you enter the Northbound carriageway
Ambassador
04 Apr 2024, 12:49 pm #97

One observation from me - they really need to stick some yellow x lines and enforce them at the junction where buses exit Askew Road to join the Bridge - quite a few cars blocking the junction.

Not helped by those pedestrian lights as soon as you enter the Northbound carriageway

DeltaMan

15 Apr 2024, 8:19 pm #98
Couldn't quite believe it today but for the first time in literally MONTHS my usual bus left Eldon Square bang on time. Long live the Tyne Bridge works!
DeltaMan
15 Apr 2024, 8:19 pm #98

Couldn't quite believe it today but for the first time in literally MONTHS my usual bus left Eldon Square bang on time. Long live the Tyne Bridge works!

Adrian

17 Apr 2024, 10:43 am #99
(15 Apr 2024, 8:19 pm)DeltaMan Couldn't quite believe it today but for the first time in literally MONTHS my usual bus left Eldon Square bang on time. Long live the Tyne Bridge works!
I found the same today. Peak time service and no hassle whatsoever getting from Gateshead into Newcastle on an X1. All the bus lanes make a difference, and you could see cars backed up for ages.

No doubt Gammon will be praising himself in the press, but I think this appears to be working better than anyone expected

Adrian
17 Apr 2024, 10:43 am #99

(15 Apr 2024, 8:19 pm)DeltaMan Couldn't quite believe it today but for the first time in literally MONTHS my usual bus left Eldon Square bang on time. Long live the Tyne Bridge works!
I found the same today. Peak time service and no hassle whatsoever getting from Gateshead into Newcastle on an X1. All the bus lanes make a difference, and you could see cars backed up for ages.

No doubt Gammon will be praising himself in the press, but I think this appears to be working better than anyone expected

Ambassador

17 Apr 2024, 10:47 am #100
Yes have to agree so far it seems ok - the improvements at Collingwood St/Bigg Market have really helped too.

Still think there's some light timing issues on the Gateshead side (and the A184 towards Gateshead is a mess) but it seems to be working ok
Ambassador
17 Apr 2024, 10:47 am #100

Yes have to agree so far it seems ok - the improvements at Collingwood St/Bigg Market have really helped too.

Still think there's some light timing issues on the Gateshead side (and the A184 towards Gateshead is a mess) but it seems to be working ok

Pages (6) Previous 14 5 6 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average