Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Reintroduction of Temporarily Reduced Services Back to Original Frequency

Reintroduction of Temporarily Reduced Services Back to Original Frequency

Reintroduction of Temporarily Reduced Services Back to Original Frequency

• 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average

Pages (9) Previous 17 8 9 Next
Storx

02 Feb 2024, 11:33 pm #141
(02 Feb 2024, 11:13 pm)DaveFromUpNorth See when I hear capacity issue I think NIMBY passengers

Not in my back yard...

These days a single decker say 40 seats is realistic 20 seats why

Every one sits and has a row to themselves
If alone with friends I'ts a little different as two would sit together

So capacity "perception is reduced" as the bus is full If a single decker If one person sits on each row of two seats...

I always recall the GCT BUS  I used to get on a morning before driving to work

17 people sitting on a bus and it looked full on a 30 ish seater bus

The aim should be not to feel cramped sniffing armpits listening to other music or standing on the bus from Durham to Sland

I'd agree with you usually, but right now there's other routes like the X30/X31/X45, in particular, which are running around with single deckers because of the shortages at Consett. Not to mention the X5/X15 going around with anything with 4 wheels lately, including a Solo earlier this week.

Surely they should be higher priority than some new bus route. The B5's would've been ideal to sort that mess out.

Obviously this all comes down to lack of investment mind, but I'm never a fan of robbing one route for another.
Edited 02 Feb 2024, 11:34 pm by Storx.
Storx
02 Feb 2024, 11:33 pm #141

(02 Feb 2024, 11:13 pm)DaveFromUpNorth See when I hear capacity issue I think NIMBY passengers

Not in my back yard...

These days a single decker say 40 seats is realistic 20 seats why

Every one sits and has a row to themselves
If alone with friends I'ts a little different as two would sit together

So capacity "perception is reduced" as the bus is full If a single decker If one person sits on each row of two seats...

I always recall the GCT BUS  I used to get on a morning before driving to work

17 people sitting on a bus and it looked full on a 30 ish seater bus

The aim should be not to feel cramped sniffing armpits listening to other music or standing on the bus from Durham to Sland

I'd agree with you usually, but right now there's other routes like the X30/X31/X45, in particular, which are running around with single deckers because of the shortages at Consett. Not to mention the X5/X15 going around with anything with 4 wheels lately, including a Solo earlier this week.

Surely they should be higher priority than some new bus route. The B5's would've been ideal to sort that mess out.

Obviously this all comes down to lack of investment mind, but I'm never a fan of robbing one route for another.

03 Feb 2024, 12:00 am #142
I don't think it is lack of investment

We all know London needs the amazing buses and the mid life workhorses need to be cascaded elsewhere

I think a as a personal opinion that the group reorganisation is to blame incorporating GNE into East Yorkshire

Which Martijn at the time had to take under his remit

Then we saw ECMS under GNE suddenly become part of GNWest

Under the MD control now how many buses is he in charge control never-mind the public ownership of Manchester "bee Network" plus travelling between Newcastle and Manchester by train or car with an added trip from Scarborough to Manchester

The area is out of depth for a plc company and needs be chopped up

Many people have views of Martijn but as a North East Region he did a canny job of even improving "tat" aka midlife buses

His biggest test was covid when he shut down depots used them as storage depots to run a service

During the initial covid outbreak the best mile per bus was running and worst performing buses was VOR

We need to really consider is the area for Nigel too big as a MD which will be a failure

He will see stats and figures but will never understand or visit villages like Quaking Houses or Greenside or even No-Place or High Haddenhold

He will go on data its how the PLc wants to run the business

As an MD

If Manchester is busier and more profitable would you not send the best to that area

I may be cynical but hasn't a few buses went to Manchester recently aka in the past 12 months ?
DaveFromUpNorth
03 Feb 2024, 12:00 am #142

I don't think it is lack of investment

We all know London needs the amazing buses and the mid life workhorses need to be cascaded elsewhere

I think a as a personal opinion that the group reorganisation is to blame incorporating GNE into East Yorkshire

Under the MD control now how many buses is he in charge control never-mind the public ownership of Manchester "bee Network" plus travelling between Newcastle and Manchester by train or car with an added trip from Scarborough to Manchester

Many people have views of Martijn but as a North East Region he did a canny job of even improving "tat" aka midlife buses

His biggest test was covid when he shut down depots used them as storage depots to run a service

During the initial covid outbreak the best mile per bus was running and worst performing buses was VOR

We need to really consider is the area for Nigel too big as a MD which will be a failure

He will see stats and figures but will never understand or visit villages like Quaking Houses or Greenside or even No-Place or High Haddenhold

As an MD

If Manchester is busier and more profitable would you not send the best to that area

I may be cynical but hasn't a few buses went to Manchester recently aka in the past 12 months ?

Ambassador

03 Feb 2024, 12:23 am #143
I don’t really buy that. Most major businesses have leaders who run operations across countries never mind counties.

It’s about having the right leader in place with the right team around them. The leader should be strategic, overseeing and owning the strategy whilst employing support teams and managers who implement it. He shouldn’t be anywhere near the day to day aside an inform. Local level management should be more than capable. The problem is seemingly GNE don’t have that level of skill under Nigel so balls are being dropped.

I don’t think the lack of investment is necessarily in stock. London buses really aren’t that amazing, they’ve just started getting gimmicks like usb etc. The lack of investment is in the network and in people hence the dispute in 2023. There’s no buy in, no local leadership and that naturally demotivates and causes performance issues.

Either that or stevie wonder is doing allocations at riverside
Ambassador
03 Feb 2024, 12:23 am #143

I don’t really buy that. Most major businesses have leaders who run operations across countries never mind counties.

It’s about having the right leader in place with the right team around them. The leader should be strategic, overseeing and owning the strategy whilst employing support teams and managers who implement it. He shouldn’t be anywhere near the day to day aside an inform. Local level management should be more than capable. The problem is seemingly GNE don’t have that level of skill under Nigel so balls are being dropped.

I don’t think the lack of investment is necessarily in stock. London buses really aren’t that amazing, they’ve just started getting gimmicks like usb etc. The lack of investment is in the network and in people hence the dispute in 2023. There’s no buy in, no local leadership and that naturally demotivates and causes performance issues.

Either that or stevie wonder is doing allocations at riverside

L469 YVK

03 Feb 2024, 8:45 am #144
(02 Feb 2024, 10:26 pm)Storx Does anyone know if the X20 is tendered for Deckers? I just find it a bit strange how a bus route which wasn't sustainable at all on a commercial basis, now suddenly needs Deckers on it. It's going from one extreme to the other.

Surely the Enviro 200 MMC's which are going from pillar to post lately could've done it instead with the B5TL's being at Riverside or Consett who are both struggling with Decker's lately.
The whole issue is that Derwentside is rota'd and interworked around the X30/X31 due to the low height decker bridge around Ellison Road yet, Riverside are having to make do with wholly unsuitable vehicles for the X21 and hardly no cover for the X10 other than 6377.

There's a reason why Arriva Ashington have had E400 / E400MMC on the X14/X15/X18/X20 and X21/X22.

Surely any inefficiencies restructuring the Derwentside network to release E400MMC's to Riverside would be balanced by a reduction in lost mileage and increase in passenger confidence.
L469 YVK
03 Feb 2024, 8:45 am #144

(02 Feb 2024, 10:26 pm)Storx Does anyone know if the X20 is tendered for Deckers? I just find it a bit strange how a bus route which wasn't sustainable at all on a commercial basis, now suddenly needs Deckers on it. It's going from one extreme to the other.

Surely the Enviro 200 MMC's which are going from pillar to post lately could've done it instead with the B5TL's being at Riverside or Consett who are both struggling with Decker's lately.
The whole issue is that Derwentside is rota'd and interworked around the X30/X31 due to the low height decker bridge around Ellison Road yet, Riverside are having to make do with wholly unsuitable vehicles for the X21 and hardly no cover for the X10 other than 6377.

There's a reason why Arriva Ashington have had E400 / E400MMC on the X14/X15/X18/X20 and X21/X22.

Surely any inefficiencies restructuring the Derwentside network to release E400MMC's to Riverside would be balanced by a reduction in lost mileage and increase in passenger confidence.

Storx

03 Feb 2024, 8:56 am #145
(03 Feb 2024, 12:00 am)DaveFromUpNorth I don't think it is lack of investment

During the initial covid outbreak the best mile per bus was running and worst performing  buses was VOR 

We need to really consider is the area for Nigel  too big as a MD which will be a failure

As an MD

Have to agree with the post after mostly about the leadership to be fair, surely Bex Maxfield is the one who should be running the show on the ground with Nigel overlooking it. Mind if his PR Comms are the same as his ability at management then god help GNE.

Btw I wouldn't exactly call the fleet coming from London mid life, they're more end of life, some of them are over 15 years old. They'd be fine for schools or the odd spare but they appear to be in frontline on the 51/52/93/94. The first two which had new buses in 2016. Obviously if they had a decent refurb then that'd be fine but they haven't either. 

To me, and this is pure speculation, it really feels like they're trying to cut costs in every place to flog it off on the cheap. Nigel doing both as when it goes, he'll head straight to Manchester only. Not sure who'd want it though mind.
Edited 03 Feb 2024, 8:56 am by Storx.
Storx
03 Feb 2024, 8:56 am #145

During the initial covid outbreak the best mile per bus was running and worst performing  buses was VOR 

We need to really consider is the area for Nigel  too big as a MD which will be a failure

As an MD

Have to agree with the post after mostly about the leadership to be fair, surely Bex Maxfield is the one who should be running the show on the ground with Nigel overlooking it. Mind if his PR Comms are the same as his ability at management then god help GNE.

Btw I wouldn't exactly call the fleet coming from London mid life, they're more end of life, some of them are over 15 years old. They'd be fine for schools or the odd spare but they appear to be in frontline on the 51/52/93/94. The first two which had new buses in 2016. Obviously if they had a decent refurb then that'd be fine but they haven't either. 

To me, and this is pure speculation, it really feels like they're trying to cut costs in every place to flog it off on the cheap. Nigel doing both as when it goes, he'll head straight to Manchester only. Not sure who'd want it though mind.

Unber43

03 Feb 2024, 9:04 am #146
Between the 21/X10/X21 there is Flexability, 6333, 3 Angles and 6377.

Theres pretty much always atleast 1 X10 off, one-four X21, and 3 21's. However a lot of this is due to incompetent allocating, such as putting them on school routes or the 57.
Unber43
03 Feb 2024, 9:04 am #146

Between the 21/X10/X21 there is Flexability, 6333, 3 Angles and 6377.

Theres pretty much always atleast 1 X10 off, one-four X21, and 3 21's. However a lot of this is due to incompetent allocating, such as putting them on school routes or the 57.

Andreos1

03 Feb 2024, 1:34 pm #147

As an MD

Wasted money imo. 
Said so at the time and still believe it now. 
Before Covid, there was a chance to revise the network. 
In the months following, there was another opportunity to revise it. Probably the best opportunity there ever was. 

Instead, he continued to titivate and assume that would bring passengers back.
Totally forgetting the change in passenger habits, journeys or many other factors that came in to play. 

The titivations could have came about after the network was reassessed. Assuming that's what passengers actually wanted and not what people thought they wanted.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
03 Feb 2024, 1:34 pm #147

As an MD

Wasted money imo. 
In the months following, there was another opportunity to revise it. Probably the best opportunity there ever was. 

Totally forgetting the change in passenger habits, journeys or many other factors that came in to play. 

The titivations could have came about after the network was reassessed. Assuming that's what passengers actually wanted and not what people thought they wanted.

Storx

03 Feb 2024, 2:16 pm #148
(03 Feb 2024, 9:04 am)Unber43 Between the 21/X10/X21 there is Flexability, 6333, 3 Angles and 6377.

6333 is Washington based now.

(03 Feb 2024, 1:34 pm)Andreos1 Wasted money imo. 

To be fair, he done the complete opposite and cut everything wayyy too early. Middle of a pandemic and they're more arsed about cramming bums on seats, no wonder some people didn't return as they were literally scared and why would you now want to use a bus which was every 15 minutes and now every 30 minutes, if it's the X45/X46 with the fare (at the time) near 30% more expensive for the priviledge.

Credit to Stagecoach and Arriva for holding off, bar a few more sensible changes ie. dropping buses from every 20 to 30 but upgrading the capacity at the same time. Seems to paid off, in most areas (not all ofc).
Storx
03 Feb 2024, 2:16 pm #148

(03 Feb 2024, 9:04 am)Unber43 Between the 21/X10/X21 there is Flexability, 6333, 3 Angles and 6377.

6333 is Washington based now.

(03 Feb 2024, 1:34 pm)Andreos1 Wasted money imo. 

To be fair, he done the complete opposite and cut everything wayyy too early. Middle of a pandemic and they're more arsed about cramming bums on seats, no wonder some people didn't return as they were literally scared and why would you now want to use a bus which was every 15 minutes and now every 30 minutes, if it's the X45/X46 with the fare (at the time) near 30% more expensive for the priviledge.

Credit to Stagecoach and Arriva for holding off, bar a few more sensible changes ie. dropping buses from every 20 to 30 but upgrading the capacity at the same time. Seems to paid off, in most areas (not all ofc).

DeltaMan

03 Feb 2024, 3:55 pm #149
I think it's worth pointing out that to qualify for CBSSG, an operator needed to run 90% (I think) off pre COVID mileage in order to get help. So, even if they wanted to make fundamental changes, they couldn't (unless they totally redesigned the entire network with out of date data which came to a similar mileage)
Edited 03 Feb 2024, 3:56 pm by DeltaMan.
DeltaMan
03 Feb 2024, 3:55 pm #149

I think it's worth pointing out that to qualify for CBSSG, an operator needed to run 90% (I think) off pre COVID mileage in order to get help. So, even if they wanted to make fundamental changes, they couldn't (unless they totally redesigned the entire network with out of date data which came to a similar mileage)

Ambassador

03 Feb 2024, 6:41 pm #150
6022 on the Angel, we got overtaken by a bike on Newcastle Bank out of Birtley

Better than ever..,
Ambassador
03 Feb 2024, 6:41 pm #150

6022 on the Angel, we got overtaken by a bike on Newcastle Bank out of Birtley

Better than ever..,

nova347

03 Feb 2024, 8:21 pm #151
I saw a few X10s today, all rammed, hopefully soon the frequency will be upped.
nova347
03 Feb 2024, 8:21 pm #151

I saw a few X10s today, all rammed, hopefully soon the frequency will be upped.

Jimmi

04 Feb 2024, 2:05 am #152

At least some of the boards on the X20 require double deckers for peak time loadings to/from Langley Park which was why some 20 boards were being allocated double deckers in the X20's absence.

Not too sure beyond that if the X20 really requires deckers, although at least its more Euro 6 CAZ compliant deckers that could be sent to Newcastle on the 56 if required.
Jimmi
04 Feb 2024, 2:05 am #152

At least some of the boards on the X20 require double deckers for peak time loadings to/from Langley Park which was why some 20 boards were being allocated double deckers in the X20's absence.

Not too sure beyond that if the X20 really requires deckers, although at least its more Euro 6 CAZ compliant deckers that could be sent to Newcastle on the 56 if required.

Andreos1

04 Feb 2024, 12:15 pm #153
(03 Feb 2024, 3:55 pm)DeltaMan I think it's worth pointing out that to qualify for CBSSG, an operator needed to run 90% (I think) off pre COVID mileage in order to get help. So, even if they wanted to make fundamental changes, they couldn't (unless they totally redesigned the entire network with out of date data which came to a similar mileage) 

Data gathered from the vehicles or actual data from people who would make the modal switch if there was a viable alternative?

It goes without saying that the data they gather on their vehicles is useful. But it's only useful in gathering data for existing passengers. 
Not data from the ones who have moved on or never touched public transport in the first place. 

The proportion of people using public transport regularly vs the proportion that don't, shows how many views/opinions/needs aren't taken in to consideration when these changes, revisions or tweaks are made. 
A pro-active operator would seek these out at whatever cost*. Because even a small proportion of car users switching to a viable alternative, not only makes helps those profits, but it has a huge positive impact on reliability.

*I'd hazard a guess the ROI is far greater than titivations ever were.

Andreos1
04 Feb 2024, 12:15 pm #153

(03 Feb 2024, 3:55 pm)DeltaMan I think it's worth pointing out that to qualify for CBSSG, an operator needed to run 90% (I think) off pre COVID mileage in order to get help. So, even if they wanted to make fundamental changes, they couldn't (unless they totally redesigned the entire network with out of date data which came to a similar mileage) 

Data gathered from the vehicles or actual data from people who would make the modal switch if there was a viable alternative?

It goes without saying that the data they gather on their vehicles is useful. But it's only useful in gathering data for existing passengers. 
Not data from the ones who have moved on or never touched public transport in the first place. 

The proportion of people using public transport regularly vs the proportion that don't, shows how many views/opinions/needs aren't taken in to consideration when these changes, revisions or tweaks are made. 
A pro-active operator would seek these out at whatever cost*. Because even a small proportion of car users switching to a viable alternative, not only makes helps those profits, but it has a huge positive impact on reliability.

DeltaMan

04 Feb 2024, 3:24 pm #154
(04 Feb 2024, 12:15 pm)Andreos1 Data gathered from the vehicles or actual data from people who would make the modal switch if there was a viable alternative?

As the great MG said, car sized problems require car sized solutions - and he's right
DeltaMan
04 Feb 2024, 3:24 pm #154

(04 Feb 2024, 12:15 pm)Andreos1 Data gathered from the vehicles or actual data from people who would make the modal switch if there was a viable alternative?

As the great MG said, car sized problems require car sized solutions - and he's right

Andreos1

04 Feb 2024, 3:50 pm #155
(04 Feb 2024, 3:24 pm)DeltaMan As the great MG said, car sized problems require car sized solutions - and he's right

Unless there's multiple car sized problems, that are calling for multiple bus sized solutions?

Andreos1
04 Feb 2024, 3:50 pm #155

(04 Feb 2024, 3:24 pm)DeltaMan As the great MG said, car sized problems require car sized solutions - and he's right

Unless there's multiple car sized problems, that are calling for multiple bus sized solutions?

Adrian

04 Feb 2024, 5:21 pm #156

I think the ticketing data (especially smart) is useful, but it's so full of flaws and lacks any kind of joined up thinking. If we're ever going to have a proper understanding of how the network is used, there needs to be a single joined-up smart ticketing system, like the one we were promised many moons ago. At present, if I buy a TNE Day Rover on the GNE app for example, I can't scan it on the Metro or on Stagecoach buses, so you lose all that vital data. 

Another issue is the £2 flat fare. I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but check the fare stage next time you buy one. There's no consistency. I've had fares issued to the terminus, rarely to the destination (or fare stage) I ask for, but more often than not, it's to the next fare stage only. I wonder how this data helps operators to understand how their services are used? A sudden influx of short-hop users?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
04 Feb 2024, 5:21 pm #156

I think the ticketing data (especially smart) is useful, but it's so full of flaws and lacks any kind of joined up thinking. If we're ever going to have a proper understanding of how the network is used, there needs to be a single joined-up smart ticketing system, like the one we were promised many moons ago. At present, if I buy a TNE Day Rover on the GNE app for example, I can't scan it on the Metro or on Stagecoach buses, so you lose all that vital data. 

Another issue is the £2 flat fare. I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but check the fare stage next time you buy one. There's no consistency. I've had fares issued to the terminus, rarely to the destination (or fare stage) I ask for, but more often than not, it's to the next fare stage only. I wonder how this data helps operators to understand how their services are used? A sudden influx of short-hop users?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Storx

04 Feb 2024, 5:52 pm #157
(04 Feb 2024, 2:05 am)Jimmi At least some of the boards on the X20 require double deckers for peak time loadings to/from Langley Park which was why some 20 boards were being allocated double deckers in the X20's absence.

Fair points about the Langley Park decker requirements, pretty much what I thought that it wasn't really needed elsewhere though. True about the extra deckers for the 56 though mind.

See, if this 'enhanced partnership' is more than some buzzwords people are throwing around to get funding, I personally think the data research should be the job of Nexus / Transport North East with the operators each putting their share of funds and passenger data in so they can get a full picture of things.

When you've got 3 operators with their own 'turfs' then they're never going to be interested in areas beyond their own areas so the data will always be flawed. It really needs to be someone independent from it all, then working together - build a network which works for everyone with integrated tickets etc. Plus it would be cheaper anyway than having 4 seperate studies doing the same thing pretty much (Metro / GNE / Arriva / Stagecoach).

Not to mention there's conflicts of interests, we need to cut costs, well this estate is a pain in the arse, let's find some 'data' to proove that it's pointless serving there sort of nonsense. There's lots of it, in these 'consultations' that happen anyway.

I seriously question whether the data exists lately, as the councils seem convinced that every car heading over the Tyne Bridge is heading into Newcastle City Centre.
Edited 04 Feb 2024, 5:55 pm by Storx.
Storx
04 Feb 2024, 5:52 pm #157

(04 Feb 2024, 2:05 am)Jimmi At least some of the boards on the X20 require double deckers for peak time loadings to/from Langley Park which was why some 20 boards were being allocated double deckers in the X20's absence.

Fair points about the Langley Park decker requirements, pretty much what I thought that it wasn't really needed elsewhere though. True about the extra deckers for the 56 though mind.

See, if this 'enhanced partnership' is more than some buzzwords people are throwing around to get funding, I personally think the data research should be the job of Nexus / Transport North East with the operators each putting their share of funds and passenger data in so they can get a full picture of things.

When you've got 3 operators with their own 'turfs' then they're never going to be interested in areas beyond their own areas so the data will always be flawed. It really needs to be someone independent from it all, then working together - build a network which works for everyone with integrated tickets etc. Plus it would be cheaper anyway than having 4 seperate studies doing the same thing pretty much (Metro / GNE / Arriva / Stagecoach).

Not to mention there's conflicts of interests, we need to cut costs, well this estate is a pain in the arse, let's find some 'data' to proove that it's pointless serving there sort of nonsense. There's lots of it, in these 'consultations' that happen anyway.

I seriously question whether the data exists lately, as the councils seem convinced that every car heading over the Tyne Bridge is heading into Newcastle City Centre.

Bazza

04 Feb 2024, 7:10 pm #158

I doubt very much that you have the knowledge or expertise to assess whether the allocation issues are due incompetence
Bazza
04 Feb 2024, 7:10 pm #158

I doubt very much that you have the knowledge or expertise to assess whether the allocation issues are due incompetence

V514DFT

05 Feb 2024, 1:24 am #159
(04 Feb 2024, 7:10 pm)Bazza I doubt very much that you have the knowledge or expertise to assess whether the allocation issues are due incompetence

Lol

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
05 Feb 2024, 1:24 am #159

(04 Feb 2024, 7:10 pm)Bazza I doubt very much that you have the knowledge or expertise to assess whether the allocation issues are due incompetence

Lol

Kind Regards
Tez

Unber43

05 Feb 2024, 1:32 pm #160
Well if its due to a fault on the vehcile maybe they should fix the vehicle
Unber43
05 Feb 2024, 1:32 pm #160

Well if its due to a fault on the vehcile maybe they should fix the vehicle

Pages (9) Previous 17 8 9 Next

• 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average