Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure CAZ violations

CAZ violations

CAZ violations

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (3) Previous 1 2 3 Next
Unber43

04 Feb 2023, 9:51 am #21
GNE may have been fined £50 yesterday as 643 entered Newcastle twice on 6/12
Unber43
04 Feb 2023, 9:51 am #21

GNE may have been fined £50 yesterday as 643 entered Newcastle twice on 6/12

05 Feb 2023, 7:52 am #22
I was on MX61 AVL (1538) in Newcastle on the X14. I think the bus is Euro 5. Would Arriva gotten fined?
NEbushopper
05 Feb 2023, 7:52 am #22

I was on MX61 AVL (1538) in Newcastle on the X14. I think the bus is Euro 5. Would Arriva gotten fined?

RobinHood

05 Feb 2023, 5:26 pm #23
(05 Feb 2023, 7:52 am)NEbushopper I was on MX61 AVL (1538) in Newcastle on the X14. I think the bus is Euro 5. Would Arriva gotten fined?
No, because it is Euro 6.
RobinHood
05 Feb 2023, 5:26 pm #23

(05 Feb 2023, 7:52 am)NEbushopper I was on MX61 AVL (1538) in Newcastle on the X14. I think the bus is Euro 5. Would Arriva gotten fined?
No, because it is Euro 6.

05 Feb 2023, 5:43 pm #24
(05 Feb 2023, 5:26 pm)RobinHood No, because it is Euro 6.

Thanks for that
NEbushopper
05 Feb 2023, 5:43 pm #24

(05 Feb 2023, 5:26 pm)RobinHood No, because it is Euro 6.

Thanks for that

ne14ne1

07 Feb 2023, 7:27 pm #25
Are Stagecoach’s ALX300s exempt as they’re due to be replaced?
Saw two in the city today.
ne14ne1
07 Feb 2023, 7:27 pm #25

Are Stagecoach’s ALX300s exempt as they’re due to be replaced?

09 Feb 2023, 2:10 pm #26
(07 Feb 2023, 7:27 pm)ne14ne1 Are Stagecoach’s ALX300s exempt as they’re due to be replaced?

Yes, we can take them through with no penalty.

I drove one through on the first day of the CAZ to test the theory.
omnicity4659
09 Feb 2023, 2:10 pm #26

(07 Feb 2023, 7:27 pm)ne14ne1 Are Stagecoach’s ALX300s exempt as they’re due to be replaced?

Yes, we can take them through with no penalty.

mb134

09 Feb 2023, 7:56 pm #27
(09 Feb 2023, 2:10 pm)omnicity4659 Yes, we can take them through with no penalty.

Ridiculous that a company as large as Stagecoach are willingly sending multiple non-compliant vehicles through a clean air zone that they've had literally years to prepare for, and are getting away with it.
mb134
09 Feb 2023, 7:56 pm #27

(09 Feb 2023, 2:10 pm)omnicity4659 Yes, we can take them through with no penalty.

Ridiculous that a company as large as Stagecoach are willingly sending multiple non-compliant vehicles through a clean air zone that they've had literally years to prepare for, and are getting away with it.

09 Feb 2023, 8:21 pm #28
(09 Feb 2023, 7:56 pm)mb134 Ridiculous that a company as large as Stagecoach are willingly sending multiple non-compliant vehicles through a clean air zone that they've had literally years to prepare for, and are getting away with it.

The use of ALX300s is temporary until their Euro 6 replacements and the new E400s arrive.

Whilst predictable, there's currently a shortage of serviceable vehicles which means that the ALX300s are still being sent out. On routes that need a decker.

Hopefully these new vehicles see off the worst of the 2008 E400s and 2011 E400Hs, as well as all the remaining ALX300s. I do doubt that they'll be enough - unless we're getting more secondhand stock - as the training fleet is also going to be renewed at some point in the near future.
omnicity4659
09 Feb 2023, 8:21 pm #28

(09 Feb 2023, 7:56 pm)mb134 Ridiculous that a company as large as Stagecoach are willingly sending multiple non-compliant vehicles through a clean air zone that they've had literally years to prepare for, and are getting away with it.

The use of ALX300s is temporary until their Euro 6 replacements and the new E400s arrive.

Whilst predictable, there's currently a shortage of serviceable vehicles which means that the ALX300s are still being sent out. On routes that need a decker.

Hopefully these new vehicles see off the worst of the 2008 E400s and 2011 E400Hs, as well as all the remaining ALX300s. I do doubt that they'll be enough - unless we're getting more secondhand stock - as the training fleet is also going to be renewed at some point in the near future.

mb134

09 Feb 2023, 9:26 pm #29
(09 Feb 2023, 8:21 pm)omnicity4659 The use of ALX300s is temporary until their Euro 6 replacements and the new E400s arrive.

My initial post was more a statement on how badly the council have implemented the CAZ.

Allowing large companies extensions past the already pushed back start date is mental. Nearly as mental as it not having any impact on private cars.
mb134
09 Feb 2023, 9:26 pm #29

(09 Feb 2023, 8:21 pm)omnicity4659 The use of ALX300s is temporary until their Euro 6 replacements and the new E400s arrive.

My initial post was more a statement on how badly the council have implemented the CAZ.

Allowing large companies extensions past the already pushed back start date is mental. Nearly as mental as it not having any impact on private cars.

09 Feb 2023, 9:43 pm #30
(09 Feb 2023, 9:26 pm)mb134 My initial post was more a statement on how badly the council have implemented the CAZ.

Definitely agree there like, even taking into account the delays for new vehicles because of the bug new vehicles ordered for the original start date should already be here!
streetdeckfan
09 Feb 2023, 9:43 pm #30

(09 Feb 2023, 9:26 pm)mb134 My initial post was more a statement on how badly the council have implemented the CAZ.

Definitely agree there like, even taking into account the delays for new vehicles because of the bug new vehicles ordered for the original start date should already be here!

09 Feb 2023, 9:48 pm #31
It's just a cash grab by a fiscally inept Council.

There's going to be no benefit from the CAZ other than for the Council's revenue, which no doubt will be spaffed away on very expensive PFI deals for trivial things.

There is already an impact on taxi driver levels, some who have been unable to afford a new vehicle (and a few have joined bus companies to make a living!), and any cuts to bus services is going to cause private car ownership to increase too, which will just worsen the pollution levels.

Extremely vague "charges apply" signage is going to put off people who aren't aware of the scheme from coming into the city centre, despite the currently illuminated signs, people are still confused as the wording is dreadful.

Would be better if there was a public transport system that worked in the first place, without resorting to forcing changes on people's livelihoods and making companies modify vehicle for barely any benefit to overall emissions.

(09 Feb 2023, 9:43 pm)streetdeckfan Definitely agree there like, even taking into account the delays for new vehicles because of the bug new vehicles ordered for the original start date should already be here!

The fleet was going to meet the standard in time for the CAZ implementation.

The new vehicles will see off those that do not comply and will replace the troubled buses that are causing them to be used.
Edited 09 Feb 2023, 9:54 pm by omnicity4659.
omnicity4659
09 Feb 2023, 9:48 pm #31

It's just a cash grab by a fiscally inept Council.

There's going to be no benefit from the CAZ other than for the Council's revenue, which no doubt will be spaffed away on very expensive PFI deals for trivial things.

There is already an impact on taxi driver levels, some who have been unable to afford a new vehicle (and a few have joined bus companies to make a living!), and any cuts to bus services is going to cause private car ownership to increase too, which will just worsen the pollution levels.

Extremely vague "charges apply" signage is going to put off people who aren't aware of the scheme from coming into the city centre, despite the currently illuminated signs, people are still confused as the wording is dreadful.

Would be better if there was a public transport system that worked in the first place, without resorting to forcing changes on people's livelihoods and making companies modify vehicle for barely any benefit to overall emissions.

(09 Feb 2023, 9:43 pm)streetdeckfan Definitely agree there like, even taking into account the delays for new vehicles because of the bug new vehicles ordered for the original start date should already be here!

The fleet was going to meet the standard in time for the CAZ implementation.

The new vehicles will see off those that do not comply and will replace the troubled buses that are causing them to be used.

09 Feb 2023, 9:59 pm #32
(09 Feb 2023, 9:48 pm)omnicity4659 The fleet was going to meet the standard in time for the CAZ implementation.

So it's just a case of them not being arsed to allocate compliant vehicles because they can get away with not allocating them?
streetdeckfan
09 Feb 2023, 9:59 pm #32

(09 Feb 2023, 9:48 pm)omnicity4659 The fleet was going to meet the standard in time for the CAZ implementation.

So it's just a case of them not being arsed to allocate compliant vehicles because they can get away with not allocating them?

09 Feb 2023, 10:12 pm #33
(09 Feb 2023, 9:59 pm)streetdeckfan So it's just a case of them not being arsed to allocate compliant vehicles because they can get away with not allocating them?

There aren't enough compliant vehicles available to us (through transfer or repair), hence the use of a very small number of ALX300s at Walkergate and Slatyford. On paper, there are enough compliant buses to meet and exceed PVR, however a lot of vehicles are off the road with defects.

There have been transfers of newer vehicles from Stockton and the incoming vehicles from Scotland, however there's only so much that can be done without impacting service quality at other depots with some very crap ALX300s.

Whilst there are many reasons and solutions, it is just easier to keep them until enough compliant vehicles re-enter service, which could be any time from tomorrow to until those new buses arrive.

At the end of the day, those few vehicles don't impact anybody, especially when it's just a cashcow scheme that will eventually go out of fashion. The priority is to keep people moving, which in the short and long term will negate the impact of the emissions.
omnicity4659
09 Feb 2023, 10:12 pm #33

(09 Feb 2023, 9:59 pm)streetdeckfan So it's just a case of them not being arsed to allocate compliant vehicles because they can get away with not allocating them?

There aren't enough compliant vehicles available to us (through transfer or repair), hence the use of a very small number of ALX300s at Walkergate and Slatyford. On paper, there are enough compliant buses to meet and exceed PVR, however a lot of vehicles are off the road with defects.

There have been transfers of newer vehicles from Stockton and the incoming vehicles from Scotland, however there's only so much that can be done without impacting service quality at other depots with some very crap ALX300s.

Whilst there are many reasons and solutions, it is just easier to keep them until enough compliant vehicles re-enter service, which could be any time from tomorrow to until those new buses arrive.

At the end of the day, those few vehicles don't impact anybody, especially when it's just a cashcow scheme that will eventually go out of fashion. The priority is to keep people moving, which in the short and long term will negate the impact of the emissions.

Storx

09 Feb 2023, 10:21 pm #34
The CAZ wasn't brought in by the choice of Newcastle / Gateshead Councils. It was forced by the government otherwise they were going to get fined.

They went for the option which affected the least people and hit the vehicles which cause the most problems.
Storx
09 Feb 2023, 10:21 pm #34

The CAZ wasn't brought in by the choice of Newcastle / Gateshead Councils. It was forced by the government otherwise they were going to get fined.

They went for the option which affected the least people and hit the vehicles which cause the most problems.

Adrian

10 Feb 2023, 12:38 pm #35

Totally agree. The Govt issued a direction on this back in 2017, so operators have had more than enough time to plan for this without needing exemptions. It's not just buses though, they've actually agreed that many local exemptions that it makes a mockery of the whole scheme: https://www.breathe-cleanair.com/local-exemptions

Hopefully they'll extend it to all vehicles in the very near future, because it feels a bit like trying to carry water in a paper bag at the moment.

(09 Feb 2023, 10:21 pm)Storx The CAZ wasn't brought in by the choice of Newcastle / Gateshead Councils. It was forced by the government otherwise they were going to get fined.

Yep, always the Council's fault though, isn't it? Smile 

They've gone for the least controversial option, rather than the option that is needed. They know they'll take the beating for whichever scheme was implemented, and as I've said previously on here, I think they'd have seen it as electoral suicide to go straight for an all vehicles scheme... despite it being what is required.

We'll continue to see people ignoring the science of why it's required, labelling it as a cash grab or whatever, but they're going to have to keep increasing the scope of the scheme until pollution in the City Centre is under control.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
10 Feb 2023, 12:38 pm #35

Totally agree. The Govt issued a direction on this back in 2017, so operators have had more than enough time to plan for this without needing exemptions. It's not just buses though, they've actually agreed that many local exemptions that it makes a mockery of the whole scheme: https://www.breathe-cleanair.com/local-exemptions

Hopefully they'll extend it to all vehicles in the very near future, because it feels a bit like trying to carry water in a paper bag at the moment.

(09 Feb 2023, 10:21 pm)Storx The CAZ wasn't brought in by the choice of Newcastle / Gateshead Councils. It was forced by the government otherwise they were going to get fined.

Yep, always the Council's fault though, isn't it? Smile 

They've gone for the least controversial option, rather than the option that is needed. They know they'll take the beating for whichever scheme was implemented, and as I've said previously on here, I think they'd have seen it as electoral suicide to go straight for an all vehicles scheme... despite it being what is required.

We'll continue to see people ignoring the science of why it's required, labelling it as a cash grab or whatever, but they're going to have to keep increasing the scope of the scheme until pollution in the City Centre is under control.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Unber43

10 Feb 2023, 2:28 pm #36
It seems like the EG Loops are just being placed on any route going into to Newcastle as they're Euro 6.
Unber43
10 Feb 2023, 2:28 pm #36

It seems like the EG Loops are just being placed on any route going into to Newcastle as they're Euro 6.

10 Feb 2023, 6:45 pm #37
(10 Feb 2023, 12:38 pm)Adrian Totally agree. The Govt issued a direction on this back in 2017, so operators have had more than enough time to plan for this without needing exemptions. It's not just buses though, they've actually agreed that many local exemptions that it makes a mockery of the whole scheme: https://www.breathe-cleanair.com/local-exemptions

Bloody hell, that list goes on forever! Are there any vehicles that aren't exempt!
streetdeckfan
10 Feb 2023, 6:45 pm #37

(10 Feb 2023, 12:38 pm)Adrian Totally agree. The Govt issued a direction on this back in 2017, so operators have had more than enough time to plan for this without needing exemptions. It's not just buses though, they've actually agreed that many local exemptions that it makes a mockery of the whole scheme: https://www.breathe-cleanair.com/local-exemptions

Bloody hell, that list goes on forever! Are there any vehicles that aren't exempt!

17 Feb 2023, 11:45 am #38
(10 Feb 2023, 6:45 pm)streetdeckfan Bloody hell, that list goes on forever! Are there any vehicles that aren't exempt!

They've put a time limit on most of them though... Which is good because people cannot turn around and say they didn't have enough notice. Most of them are exempt for up to 2 years besides the first few which are permanently exempt
logidoodah
17 Feb 2023, 11:45 am #38

(10 Feb 2023, 6:45 pm)streetdeckfan Bloody hell, that list goes on forever! Are there any vehicles that aren't exempt!

They've put a time limit on most of them though... Which is good because people cannot turn around and say they didn't have enough notice. Most of them are exempt for up to 2 years besides the first few which are permanently exempt

28 Feb 2023, 8:47 pm #39

currently all that has been announced for stagecoach in terms of new vehicles are 11 new E400MMCs, nowhere near enough to oust all the buses that are needed to go.
toward6931
28 Feb 2023, 8:47 pm #39

currently all that has been announced for stagecoach in terms of new vehicles are 11 new E400MMCs, nowhere near enough to oust all the buses that are needed to go.

Unber43

27 May 2023, 1:37 pm #40
Deptford Optare Versa 8337 is currently tracking on the 56, nevermind dual tracking
Unber43
27 May 2023, 1:37 pm #40

Deptford Optare Versa 8337 is currently tracking on the 56, nevermind dual tracking

Pages (3) Previous 1 2 3 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average